Thompson Pitches Right

Fred Thompson is flooding a network of conservative web sites with op-eds in an attempt to soothe the right about his past support for campaign finance reform and his opposition to malpractice lawsuit limits.

As he prepares to launch a bid for the GOP presidential nomination, Thompson has penned articles on a broad swath of conservative touchstones, everything from illegal immigration to global warming to gun control. On the latter topic, the former Senator wrote in the wake of the mass shootings at Virgina Tech that he challenged the university's "decision to deny Americans the right to protect themselves on their campuses -- and then proudly advertise that fact to any and all."

Thompson's recent musings have graced several of the favorite Web hangouts for conservatives: the National Review online edition, Human Events and the Townhall.com blog to name a few. Essentially, he's creating a 21st century version of fellow actor Ronald Reagan's radio show that helped the Gipper lay out his policy positions before he ran for president back in 1980.

Thompson writes his own pieces, often borrowing from his commentaries on the Paul Harvey radio show. Here's a sampling:

On the failed immigration bill in Congress: "No matter how much lipstick Washington tries to slap onto this legislative pig, it's not going to win any beauty contests. We should scrap this 'comprehensive' immigration bill and the whole debate until the government can show the American people that we have secured the borders -- or at least made great headway."

On efforts to ban legal guns on college campuses after the Virginia Tech shootings: "Many other universities have been swayed by an anti-gun, anti-self defense ideology. I respect their right to hold those views, but I challenge their decision to deny Americans the right to protect themselves on their campuses -- and then proudly advertise that fact to any and all."

On concerns about global warming: "It seems scientists have noticed recently that quite a few planets in our solar system seem to be heating up a bit, including Pluto. This has led some people, not necessarily scientists, to wonder if Mars and Jupiter, non-signatories to the Kyoto Treaty, are actually inhabited by alien SUV-driving industrialists who run their air-conditioning at 60 degrees and refuse to recycle."

On the Palestinian crisis: "Let me ask you a hypothetical question. What do you think America would do if Canadian soldiers were firing dozens of missiles every day into Buffalo, N.Y.? What do you think our response would be if Mexican troops for two years had launched daily rocket attacks on San Diego ? and bragged about it? I can tell you, our response would look nothing like Israel's restrained and pinpoint reactions to daily missile attacks from Gaza."

One of Thompson recent blog postings was directly aimed at addressing conservative concerns about his past work as a trial lawyer and his opposition to federal limits on medical malpractice lawsuits and attorney fees. To read the Post's front page story this morning on Thompson's lengthy record as a trial lawyer and how he is dealing with it now, click here.

--John Solomon

By Post Editor  |  July 26, 2007; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  A_Blog , Fred Thompson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All the Candidates' Weddings
Next: Bush Nephew
Walks Away
From Thompson

Comments

Give me a break.

Fred Thompson is John McCain's biotch. He co-chaired McCain's 2000 run, supported campaign finance, immigration reform (but he now wavees this new conservative 'secure the border' BS). This guy is a McCain wannabe.

He's younger than John Wayne McCain by close to 10 years but looks 30 years older, and just went into remission from life-threatening cancer.

He's far more liberal and much more of a maverick than McCain - he just didn't get the media attention.

Come on GOP! Wake up! Because he smokes stoagies and has a southern drawal doesn't make him the next coming!!!

He f'ing lobbied FOR abortion and now says "Everybody needs to be represented." It's like Rush Limbaugh getting together with the ACLU when he had dope issues.

WAKE THE HECK UP PEOPLE!

I'd like to thank Sean Hannity in advance - you idiot. Keep pushing Thompson and Romney and watch Hillary stroll to PA Ave with 60%...

PS: Quit with the Ron Paul crap - you may as well support Michael Vick!

Posted by: lewis1ba | July 27, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I read that when he was Senator he didn't do much, but he was all for big business. Then I read another article on him that said Nixon said he was a nice guy but he was lazy and stupid. He worked for Nixon for a while.

Posted by: RMHK | July 27, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson is just another pro-war, pro-big-government, pro-abortion Neocon. He will simply split the big government Republican vote into yet one more faction, allowing Ron Paul to win with a smaller total.

This article all but states that Fred Thompson is hiring bloggers. Hiring!

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

Good thing I won't have to declare this post as a campaign contribution for Ron Paul.

Posted by: demonrats | July 27, 2007 3:00 AM | Report abuse

Quote:
"As a Democrat I think Freddy would make an interesting candidate. He's not really a wing nut and he doesn't strike me as someone who will be staying up late working too hard. So, god forbid, if my party were to lose in 2008, he couldn't possibly create the pain, suffering, and utter misery of the current administration."

Ya wanna bet.
Good gawd almighty, not only is he a wing nut, but according to Richard Nixon "he's a dumb wing nut."

We don't need any more of those. This last administration is evidence enough of the consequences of that!

Posted by: imiga | July 27, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daveflack | July 26, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

It matters little: God has already voted against him.

Posted by: raschumacher | July 26, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

It is a shame that the Republican Party has been hijacked by the so-called religious right. Too many of the so-called "conservatives" are only looking for opportunities to steal from the public purse while all the time bemoaning big government.

The ground in Phoenix must be rumbling from Barry Goldwater spinning in his grave.

Posted by: wj_phillips | July 26, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Fred Thompson. I believe a candidate for president should be serious, and he is not. His down-home folksy attitude is embarrassing, and makes him seem stupid. His joking manner re guns on campus and global warming seems uninformed and out of touch. We sure don't need another president who refuses to use good sense and dismisses scientific facts. Apparently he is catering to the uneducated voters in the republican party, and my fear is that there are enough of them to nominate him.

Posted by: beccajo | July 26, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beccajo | July 26, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Fred does look like an old dinosaur. But being a conservative Republican this would make him only 6000 years old. Global warming. Fred says don't worry. Pluto is getting hotter and he has a gut feeling that all this global warming science is a bunch of crap.

Fred is eminently qualified to lead the Republican Party back to the cave.

Posted by: bunkerhill | July 26, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

His view on the Palestinian-Israeli crisis is frighteningly naive. The completely one-sided view of Israeli policies shows he is unlikely be the "honest broker" the Middle East needs right now. Might as well leave Bush in there...

Posted by: eeimse | July 26, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

You have my vote Fred ! Ya got Balls Kid !

Posted by: mgilfoy | July 26, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thomson is a dumpy old man with all the wrong ideas. His pathetic attempt to belittle global warming is a preview of bad decisions and a blinkered, ineffectual presidency to come. Haven't we had enough of guys like him?

Posted by: i.vox | July 26, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: i.vox | July 26, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

What I don't get about Republicans is that the ones who really care about being fiscally conservative are willing to join up with social tyrants in order to elect greedy, lying demagogues. Do you really think it's legitimate to elect people who salivate at the prospect of tearing apart our freedoms and enriching the Exxons and Halliburtons of the world because you're worried the alternative candidate might want to spend more than you'd like on food for the homeless? Give me a break. Republicans for Voldemort, yo.

Posted by: roxythedog | July 26, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I sometimes like him on "Law and Order", but his politics scare the hell out of me. If he were elected, we would be getting essentially the same whacko-conservative package that Dubya has delivered for the last six years. The main difference would be how smoothly this good 'ole boy would deliver the poisons. Don't be fooled: this guy is the wolf at the door!

Posted by: petrocrab | July 26, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petrocrab | July 26, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Let me ask you a question, what if America less then a century ago went in to Canada and took their land and... actually that's about the worst most unenlightened comparison ever, because in no way are the two relationships similar. Though, if I just here that comparison, coupled with the fact that I already am aware that pretty much everyone in the Middle East is a terrorist, then yeah, Fred Thompson is absolutely the best person to lead this country.

Posted by: icebluebeast | July 26, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

For a party that spends the bulk of its time ridiculing Hollywood activism, they sure as hell fall all over themselves in starry-eyed wonder when an actor runs for their nom. But hey, he's the perfect Republican candidate...a hypocrite.

Posted by: vze2r3k5 | July 26, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I like him.

Posted by: ScottyMyBoy | July 26, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson: Cheney 2.0

Posted by: nicekid | July 26, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Fred, so you're nothing but a pathetic pandering pol like Mitty -- and not nearly as good looking. And even worse, Dick Nixon called you stupid.

Posted by: Spectator2 | July 26, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

You left wing HRC supporters keep dreaming and telling your moms that you did make your bed this morning and that smelll coming from your room must be the cat; but you know sooner or later she is coming into the basement to check on you. Fred T is a good man and would make a better president than any of the SurrenderCrats like Hillary and Hussain Obama that want nothing more than personal power to satisfy their lust for authority and totalitarianism. If you want to pay higher taxes (well if you want your mom to pay higher taxes, since we know you don't file) just send in the money and address it to United States Treasury. I assure you they will not return the check.

Posted by: wellworn444 | July 26, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

The Ol' Fred op-eds are the 21st century version of Andy Griffith as "Lonesome" Rhodes, itinerant singer turned TV star turned politician, romancing the rubes in "A Face in the Crowd" (1957: see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050371/ ). Didn't work in the movie; won't work now.

Posted by: misterjrthed | July 26, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Old Fred should make a fine GOP candidate...with his extensive background as a lobbyist for the S&L gang he's more than used to handling huge sums of under the table money....that plus he's willing to say anything that will get him votes...yep, sounds like a perfect Republican candidate

Posted by: Jerryvov | July 26, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

This is a profile in absolute insanity. It would be fun to use this against him in the general election.

Posted by: seantaylor21 | July 26, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seantaylor21 | July 26, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"Can anyone truthfully say that we have a well qualified candidate in either party. I do not see one."

It is one thing to claim that none of the candidates inspire you or that you disagree with their policy positions.

However, to claim that Gov. Bill Richardson is not qualified is simply not credible. He's been a legislator, UN ambassador, cabinet secretary and is now a governor.

What about that resume strikes you as unqualified?

Posted by: pnikhilrao | July 26, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

America can use a good leader like Thompson. After the rocky job Bush and Cheney did, the Dems should have a runaway victory, but once again all teh Dem candidates are out of touch with American's. Socialists and pessemists rule their group as usual. I welcome Thompson, he seems like the type of leader America can use in these turbulent times.

Posted by: fpgarcia3 | July 26, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

"It appears that we will have no better choice that we had in 2004 with Bush and Kerry. Woe is us!"

We had an excellent choice that year. The problem was that we catastrophically messed up that choice.

Posted by: amoffett1 | July 26, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson can clearly talk from experience about Mars and Jupiter -- given his social and political views, that's obviously where he has been living lately. Just what this country needs, another right-wing Republican sound-bite whacko. On the bright side, he'll probably give Rush "Oxycontin" Limbaugh a run for his money.

Posted by: Bob22003 | July 26, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with some of his views (Specifically, I don't want college students packing heat on campus.), but if Fred is the Republican nominee he will beat Hillary like a rented mule. Why? Because of the following:

a) He can energize the Republican Party's conservative base like neither Guiliani or McCain can do. And believe it or not, there are still significantly more people in the U.S. that describe themselves as "conservatives" than "liberals".

b) He would put an electoral college hammerlock on the South and Southwest, meaning that Hillary would have to take virtually every other state to win.

c) Fully 48% of registered voters loathe Hillary and say that they would not vote for her under any circumstances. (I'm one of them. I wouldn't trust Hillary to mow my lawn.) That's a HUGE negative to try and overcome. If that number is accurate, in order to win, she'd have to win virtually 100% of the remaining 52% of the electorate. That's a tall order indeed, especially once Republican Party ads start airing her past dirty laundry in public, of which there is quite a bit.

d) Finally, Thompson is the kind of articulate, inspiring candidate that the Repubs haven't had since Reagan. He has a commanding "stage presence" that people naturally want in a leader. In that regard, he is the antithesis of George W. Bush. Furthermore, his past experience as a trial lawyer means that he is good at debating, having a ready command of the facts and being able to think quickly on his feet. Standing next to Hillary on a debate stage, he is going to make her look small & weak. Americans do not want a President that looks small & weak.

So, although I'm probably more in agreement with Rudy Guiliani on specific issues, I think Fred Thompson would be the Republicans strongest candidate. So, I'm supporting him now that McCain appears to have fizzled out, and I'm doing so because the single most inportant thing to me is keeping Hillary out of the White House, no matter what.

Posted by: danram | July 26, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

How did blind support of Zionism become a prerequisite for holding office in this country? It is our financial and military support that has created this terrible imbalance in the Middle East. Without it, The Israelis would have to compromise, something that should have happened 25 years ago.

Posted by: ubiq | July 26, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"and let the Reality Based Community grab the wheel before you take us off the cliff with you."

Hmmmm. Hey, fredo39, I thought you rose-colored glasses-wearing Libs thought Reality was for people who can't handle drugs. Go smoke another joint and watch an MTV reality show.

Posted by: lenavid | July 26, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I will never vote for Thompson. He doesn't know the definition of perjury. It Clinton's impeachment, he voted guilty for obstruction, and not guilty for perjury. And anyone who can't see Clinton for the serial perjurer he is, gets no vote from me. In short, Thompson wanted it both ways and I can't stand it. I been there before.

Posted by: FridayKnight | July 26, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FridayKnight | July 26, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

These are some of the most frightening, extreme positions I have ever read from a politician not directly affiliated with Dick Cheney's office. (Thompson did run the "Save Scooter" campaign, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.)

I'm a Democrat who has been eagerly anticipating a Thompson run for almost 15 years. Based on these snippets--and there's no "greater" context that could justify the last 3--I couldn't possibly...

I mean:

On immigration: I disagree with the position, but at least it's both clever in his artificial down-home speak and justifiable to a certain extent. I don't agree, but I understand and appreciate the conservative position on this. If, you know, fear is a guiding principle.

On guns on campus: oh my god. Really, he thinks a bunch of 18 year olds who binge drink on fake ID's should be armed? Self-defense? Absolutely. I took 3 years of Akido. For credit.

On global warming: ah yes, one thing I have learned extensively from the Bush administration is how the "straw man" argument works, but this is above and beyond the most basic grasp of reality. It's not clever, it's not smart, it's not insightful. In fact, it's so extreme that I question his sanity.

On the Palestinian crisis: okay, here's a hypothetical--let's say 120 years ago the nations of the world decided to create a new sovereign nation of former slaves in let's say the southern state of Georgia. Would the ex-Georgians (a) quietly and respectfully accept the decision based on the world's common good, (b) praise the global institutions for their foresight in giving the uprooted slaves and their families a place they could call home or (c) would they lock and load?

Thompson would have no trouble dislocating the natives from their land then killing them later--in mass--when they refused to quit complaining about it? Really? Is that what he's calling a solution? Really? It sounds more like a "Final Solution" to me...

Anyway, thanks for curing me of my misplaced curiosity regarding your campaign, Fred. I'll be looking forward to new episodes of Law & Order in the Spring of 2009!

Posted by: KobayashiMaru | July 26, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"You're only as old as the woman you feel"
-Groucho Marx

Posted by: BurfordHolly | July 26, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Thompson appears to be no better and no worse than any of the other candidates. Can anyone truthfully say that we have a well qualified candidate in either party. I do not see one. It appears that we will have no better choice that we had in 2004 with Bush and Kerry. Woe is us!

Posted by: jslivesay | July 26, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson is a dinosaur and, as such, needs to go back to the Jurassic era. I'm not referring to his actual age, but his policy positions, despite ever-encroaching reality, hearken back to some idealized version of the 1950s that never existed. Oh wait, I guess that is conservatives in a nutshell, isn't it?
Go ahead, all you loony-tune fundie neocon zealots, follow this Bush wannabe lemming off a cliff, then jump aboard the starship to Jesus. Do whatever you gotta do, just stop trying to ruin this country, and let the Reality Based Community grab the wheel before you take us off the cliff with you.

Posted by: fredo39 | July 26, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Please, please, please; will the media please QUIT promoting this trying to be RR clone.
Admit it, we don't need this ACTOR as our pResident. We need an intelligent, experienced person to help America out of the nightmare that bush/cheney has put us in. What we absolutely don't need is another blowhard actor!

Posted by: imiga | July 26, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

HRC is looking more and more like the winner against anything and anyone they put up as long as thye refuse to break with GWB

Posted by: brk2 | July 26, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

OH JESUS PLEEZE THIS DUDE IS TOO OLD AND LOOKS TOO OLD! WE NEED YOUNG NEW BLOOD , PERHAPS HIS TEENAGE LOOKING WIFE??

Posted by: WILLEM1 | July 26, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse