The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Clinton Says 'Let's Do Lunch'

The e-mail from Hillary Clinton landed in the in-boxes of her supporters on Tuesday with the subject line: "Let's do Lunch."

Inside was an invitation: "We're going to choose one supporter to come to my house in DC, along with a guest, to share lunch and talk. And if you contribute between now and midnight Friday, September 7, it could be you."

The concept was not new -- Barack Obama invited his internet donors to compete for a chance to sit down with him for dinner back in June. Five donors were selected, and dined with Obama later that month. But with an added boost yesterday from President Clinton, who announced he would drop in on the meal, too, the Clinton fundraising gambit is looking to be among her most successful online efforts.

The two emails had generated more than $600,000 in contributions over the first 72 hours, said Phil Singer, a Clinton campaign spokesman.

It's not clear how that compares with Obama's dinner-time haul. His campaign would not release their totals, saying only that Obama's dinner invitation garnered more than 35,000 responses.

--Matthew Mosk

Posted at 11:00 AM ET on Sep 7, 2007
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: DinerCam: Richardson Shakes Hands, Eats Bacon, Talks Baseball | Next: Democrats Make New Friends,
And Try to Keep The Old

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Lunch with Clinton versus John Edwards who is offering 5 people the chance to join him to work in New Orleans on a reconstruction project (Oh, a donation is optional in the Edwards contest). Lunch with the royalty versus rebuilding America. The contrast of privilege versus moral leadership can't be clearer.

Posted by: mfulop | September 12, 2007 11:50 AM

I am a die hard Democratic centrist, and a woman to boot. I would never vote for Hillary- I'm not interested in the past but looking toward the future. Hillary has not explained in any forum what qualifies her experience and I haven't seen anything she has every done for any community in America. If she is nominated, I will sit this election out. I can't stand backing another canidate that doesn't inspire or have vision. Democrats Hillary is another Kerry loser, let's get it right this time. Obama 08!

Posted by: phoenix1964 | September 7, 2007 10:54 PM

Hillary is amazing. Those on the fringe-left hate her because he's a winner and not a whiner.

Posted by: sskyvickers | September 7, 2007 9:34 PM

I don't understand why you are attacking ways of fundraising as hinting to a leadership problem and I doubt I ever will. I thought this was a great idea when I read the email from Hillary (I know it's from her campaign but It was a nice surprise). Being a college student, even I found I could send a little bit for a chance to have lunch with Hillary and now Bill. That brings my total to $25 donation to Hillary's Campaign.

I just get so excited to think- my first vote for president could be history making.

Posted by: mcsizzlesizzle | September 7, 2007 5:14 PM

This alone tells me Obama is winning the whole arguement than the polls indicated. Obama is a leader and HRC is a follower; she is trying to salvage her damaged credibility by associating with ordinary folks rather than Lobbysts.

Posted by: gbuze007 | September 7, 2007 1:55 PM

Has Hillary Clinton EVER had a single idea of her own?

Doesn't her campaign see that her copying everything the other candidates say or do just reinforces the perception that she is not a leader?

p.s.
from rasmussenreports this week:

"41% (of all voters) say that, if the former First Lady manages to win the nomination, she is not likely to win the general election in November. Five percent (5%) are not sure.
However, if someone else is nominated by the Democrats, 69% of all voters say it is Somewhat or Very Likely that the Democrats would win the White House in 2008. That creates a 16-point expectation gap between Clinton and a generic Democrat (69% Likely minus 53% Likely)."
Among "unafilliated voters", that number drops to 23% points. Scary!

PLEASE dems, start paying attention to the NATIONAL POLLS, not the polls of dems only.

Posted by: julieds | September 7, 2007 1:17 PM

Clinton, hmmm. I think Fred Thompson can win. Who do you think will win the Republican nomination? Thompson, Giuliani, Romney, maybe Ron Paul? Vote today at http://www.pollicious.com

Posted by: JengoPop | September 7, 2007 12:48 PM

I don't know if "lucky" is the right word here.

Posted by: gthstonesman | September 7, 2007 12:35 PM

So Clinton is copying Obama's tactics? He started this a while back.

Posted by: goldie2 | September 7, 2007 11:34 AM