Clinton's Health Care Headstart

First, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said she would start diplomatic maneuvers as soon as she is elected--without waiting for that pesky inaugural ceremony in 2009. Now, she is promising to start health care reform right away, too. In an online web chat on Tuesday night, Clinton said she would begin working with Congress on her health care plan "starting as soon as I'm elected president."

White House officials have not--so far--commented on Clinton's hypothetical takeover of power in November of 2008.

Clinton raised some eyebrows on Tuesday when she suggested that her requirement that all Americans buy health insurance would be enforced by employers who would check to ensure that prospective workers were insured. In an interview with the Associated Press, Clinton said she could imagine a system in which "you have to show proof to your employer that you're insured as part of the job interview ? like when your kid goes to school and has to show proof of vaccination."

In her web chat, Clinton also fielded a question about how she will handle attacks from her Republican opponents. She replied that she, herself, is not an advocate of attack politics. "I know that we have to be prepared to fight back and stand our ground -- that's what I've always done, that's what my husband has done," she said. "In my two campaigns for the Senate, I did not leave any attack unanswered."

Clinton added: "I do not believe in attacking my opponents, but if someone attacks me, I will respond."

-- Anne E. Kornblut

By Post Editor  |  September 19, 2007; 11:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thatcherites Sign on With Giuliani
Next: Obama's New Ad:
Change is Possible,
Forget 'Cynics'

Comments

If history has shown us anything, it is that the Federal government cannot manage health care. Hillary's plan is no better than the others, and to make it mandatory is tyranny. Ron Paul's suggestion - to leave it to the states - is a far better one. At least the plans would be local, and more easily managed. As well, plenty of citizens seek health care outside the mainstream offerings, and get better, cheaper care. Hillary represents another dangerous step toward one world government. Well, she is a CFR member, and that's the plan. Ask her about Pamela Harriman's advice some day.

Posted by: zenpiper1 | September 19, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I think the day she is elected, America will turn a new chapter in history. Not only elected the first female president but also a renewed trust of setting goals and achieving them. Universal Healthcare, Universal Pre-School, Women's Rights, Civil Rights among countless other things will begin the next chapter of American history. I'm ready for change and Hillary is ready to lead.

Posted by: mcsizzlesizzle | September 19, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, on one hand I think that she is totally going to fast and getting her hopes up that she will be the President. I think she might have a chance of winning, but, unfortunatly, I think that the fact that she is a woman could stop her "Presidential Dream".

However, on the other hand, I think that she should be commended for atleast TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE WITH HEALTHCARE!!! Most people are not even doing that! So, why are we bashing this True Blue American Woman who is trying to help her, our, countries citizens???? Although I do not approve of the way she is approaching the subject, and continuing to say "When I'm President" I think that Americans should help her help us in Health Care.

Posted by: killercello | September 19, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

The U.S. is not a socialist state (see http://tinyurl.com/2znnvl ).

We will never have affordable health care until we fix the problems. We need to fix the health care issue but we cannot fix it unless we know how it is broken. For the answer, please see http://www.InteliOrg.com/

Posted by: DrColes | September 19, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

No thanks!

I wouldn't start making any plans yet, Nurse Ratched.

Posted by: gthstonesman | September 19, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be getting a little ahead of herself doesn't she? But anyway, if she does win, I like the idea that she is ready to start enforcing and making amends before she takes office...it should say a few more months about all this war mess.

Posted by: auburnfan10101 | September 19, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse