Hsu Still 'Hillraiser,'
At Least For Now
Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign team has, for the most part, followed a traditional approach to handling the unfolding scandal surrounding the revelations about one of its top fundraisers, Norman Hsu.
When it was first suggested, at the end of August, the Hsu had bundled checks from an odd collection of donors, the campaign stood loyally behind the top donor. The following day, when it became clear Hsu had spent 15 years fleeing a criminal past, the campaign distanced itself from Hsu, announcing it would give his direct donations to charity. And when Hsu's business ventures began to fall under suspicion, the campaign dumped Hsu and the $850,000 he bundled for them, telling news outlets they had been duped, just as had scores of other politicians. (This morning, the Post reported that the Justice department has unsealed a criminal complaint against Hsu, detailing alleged campaign finance abuses and what they alleged to be a $60 million Ponzi scheme.)
But one step the campaign has not taken is to remove Hsu from its official list of Hillraisers. As of this morning, his name still appeared there. An oversight?
No, Clinton campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said this morning. The campaign has decided it does not wish to air brush history, and will stay true to its commitment to exhibit the names of Clinton's bundlers. "The list is a list of people who have raised money for the campaign in excess of $100,000," Wolfson said. "Once his money is returned, that will no longer be the case for him, and we will take his name down."
Posted by: dougfromupland | September 24, 2007 2:17 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: zenpiper1 | September 21, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: aimew649 | September 21, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: johnlumea | September 21, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bouport | September 21, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ash173 | September 21, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.