Clinton Switches Gears for N.H.

DERRY, N.H.--In Iowa earlier this week, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton told -- and retold -- the hard luck story of Anita Esterday, a woman who served Clinton at the local Maid Rite diner and shared her experiences working two jobs and raising two sons as a single mother. But the anecdote vanished as soon as Clinton left the Hawkeye state, replaced by detailed technology policy when she landed in New Hampshire.

Here in Derry, the "American story" Clinton told was of GT Solar, a nearby renewable energy firm she visited on Wednesday morning. "I have been spending a lot of time thinking about how, as president, I can rekindle the innovative edge that America historically has enjoyed," Clinton said, after being introduced at a town hall meeting by Kedar Gupta, one of the founders of the company.

There is nothing new about candidates tailoring their messages to different audiences -- and it is no surprise that Clinton talked about her retirement savings proposals on Tuesday in front of a crowd of Iowans, where the average age is higher, before talking about technology and science here in heavily wired New Hampshire.

One common thread both places: the giant banner with "Rebuilding the road to the middle class" emblazoned across it to remind audiences of this week's theme.

Although Clinton more or less repeated a science speech she rolled out in Washington a week earlier, she did signal that she intends to give a major address on energy policy later in the month. She also took questions from the audience; while none was exactly hard-hitting, she responded at length to a question about Asperger's syndrome from a mother whose child had been recently diagnosed, going so far as to describe the potential causes of autism (both environmental and genetic, she said) and citing medical facts as though she were a medical professional. "Autism is a condition that we don't yet know a lot about but it is becoming much more common," Clinton said authoritatively. She promised, if elected, to be the a president who would "put autism on the map."

--Anne E. Kornblut

By Washington Post editors  |  October 10, 2007; 4:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Big Bank from the Small-Screen
Next: Democratic Field Leaves Some Still Wanting Gore

Comments

re this comment: "Obama is also smart, very smart and I don't think he would invite the constant attack that Hilary would."

I do not mean this in any way to be rude, but your comment is incredibly naive. The Republican Slime Machine will slime anyone, including a 12-year-old child.

I agree that Obama is brilliant. I live in New Hampshire and he is truly, truly inspiring. But I believe Hillary is the only one who can stand up to the GOP Slime Machine.
Am I sick of the Slime Machine? VERY!!! But they aren't going away. So I say the nation needs a candidate that can tell them all to go to hell.
In my opinion, that candidate is Senator Hillary Clinton.

I would like to note as well that I teach at a local college in New Hampshire. My students look back on Bill Clinton as the greatest President ever. They LOVE Obama (I do too) but they have NO problem with having a Clinton in the White House again.

It probably goes without saying that they can't stand the dude who has given them unending war.

Posted by: freespeak | October 11, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Why in the world is Ann Kornblut's snide tone in this report accepted as good political journalism? Hillary sounded like a medical professional because she could speak intelligently? Because she tailors her talks to the audience? Because she takes questions at some events? Kornblut is one of the most dishonest reporters on the campaign trail and she is consistently snarky, smug, and lazy. Clinton's campaign had to release the full transcript yesterday of her interview this week with Kornblut and Dan Balz after their column falsely distorted Clinton's statements on torture. Kornblut is apparently incapable of doing a straight, factual report without her between the lines messaging. She's a shameful, fraudulent reporter trying to get a leg up in the elite media beltway club at the expense of readers.

Posted by: rdklingus | October 11, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

With age comes wisdom. Experience comes with age.

Isn't it interesting the question was asked of her and she was able to respond knowing what the disease was?

Health care is a concern of all of us. Many folks do without and many folks that have it aren't able to get the treatment they really need because of the limitations. Hillary did not fail with the initiative of health care she presented before . . . she brought it to the forefront and made the discussions start happening. While it may not have passed, it started the ball rolling. The whole health care system in this country needs revamped. If you go to a hospital and receive something like tylenol, does anyone know the industry gives hospitals thousands of these pills for free and you are charged for them? You are charged for a disposable razor at an astronomical charge because you have to make up for the people that are not insured. I know, my father spent 21 days in a prescribed barbituate coma in the ICU and the cost was just a tad under $250,000. . . he lost the battle.

There was a time in this country that if you were really sick, you could get in to see your family physician but now, you are told go to the emergency room, they will be expecting you. If you want to see just how bad it is, go to an emergency room and see what is taking place. Am I one of the few able to comprehend ER visits are very expensive and add costs to health care?

It also wasn't a fact of life that advertisements were telling you symptoms to tell your doctor in order to get them to prescribe a drug. And for goodness sake, how come someone taking chemotherapy and experiencing the nausea has to shell out well over $100 for a pill to help the nausea subside every time they have to take a treatment. No wonder they do not want marijuana legalized in this country as it is a medical fact it helps some patients. This is a disgrace in our society and if you don't think Hillary hasn't seen this, investigated and is the one to FINALLY get something done about this, I believe you are wrong.

I wish you people would make up your minds. On one hand you say she did it all alone and failed. It is a fact the large companies and Republicans took her on to defeat her health plan. But then on the other hand, you are saying she is a sell out to the large industries. I am sure I would sell out to someone that tried to stop something I was passionate about.

Personally, I believe in the adage that if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. This is what my candidate will do and I am very proud to support her.

Hillary rocks!

Hillary in '08

Posted by: mel | October 10, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I would not vote for hilary clinton 10 years ago or 5 years from now so guess what she isn't getting my vote next year. She sounds so phoney her ideas are blank she knows what she wants to do but not how to do it. She failed the last time she tried to create universal health care and its nice to see she wants to try again but t we don't need another chance for her to fail we need sucess and we need it soon.

Posted by: carlitta1113 | October 10, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Any of the Demz would be so much better than the Chimp in there now. Hilary is smart and can be aggressive. She would be a good Prez. She would also invite constant attack. Can she handle it? Sure, but I tired of battle. Obama is also smart, very smart and I don't think he would invite the constant attack that Hilary would. He's been in elected office longer than Hilary, he has demonstrated his ability to bring people together, something America desperately needs. He would be a transformational president. Hilary would be an awesome Senate majority leader.

Posted by: thebobbob | October 10, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

It amazes me that people don't think Hillary wants to do good things for this country. I want the next president of the United States to be slightly wonkish, to know a lot of facts before being briefed...to be curious about issues, and to look for compromise in the center. We've had enough of Bush-Cheney playing the game like it was pass-fail, that 50% + 1 is good enough. Competence is cool.

Posted by: gromaine3 | October 10, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse