Clinton's Foray Into Giuliani Territory

In a stark, black-and-white ad that pictures her in a mask at Ground Zero, Hillary Clinton is treading onto Rudolph W. Giuliani's turf.

The new commercial, launched today in Iowa and New Hampshire, marks the New York senator's attempt to position herself as a champion of those whose health was endangered by the attacks at the World Trade Center. The aftermath of 9/11 has long been considered Giuliani's greatest strength, but the former New York mayor has also drawn criticism for failing to adequately safeguard the health of rescue workers.

"She stood by Ground Zero workers who sacrificed their health after so many sacrificed their lives, and kept standing until this administration took action," the ad says. The reference is to Clinton's support for a medical screening and monitoring program for the disaster workers.

Clinton claims credit, as a co-sponsor, for expanding access to military health care for National Guard members, a measure passed last year by a Republican-controlled Congress.

The commercial also plays off President Bush's veto of a $35-billion expansion of a popular children's health insurance program, saying that with all the Democratic presidential candidates pushing health care plans, "which one do you think will never back down?"

The spot attempts to turn the 1994 failure of the health care plan Clinton promoted as first lady into a political plus, saying she "stood up for universal health care when almost no one else would, and kept standing until 6 million kids had coverage." In fact, plenty of Democrats supported universal coverage in the early 1990s, and Clinton was one voice among many in persuading Congress to pass the children's health program whose expansion is now the subject of a veto battle with Bush.

--Howard Kurtz

By Washington Post editors  |  October 4, 2007; 1:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Huckabee: 'Christian Ticket' Would Help Elect Clinton
Next: Romney and Giuliani Clash on Taxes

Comments

Ooops, my typo, it is the "The Little Brown Handbook".

Posted by: mel | October 5, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

You darn right you have a right to post onwaj6, just like the person trying to make a point she was supportive of Hillary. I am proud to say that I served my time to make sure we were guaranteed that right. Today we do not have the proper protection for soldiers and when I was there, we did not have the proper filters for any type of chemical attack.

I don't need a copy of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves", I have a copy of the "Little Brown Book".

Posted by: mel | October 5, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

How dare I, Mel? I dare I because I have the right to do so. Pick up a copy of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" if you think my commas are misplaced. BTW, commas are not grammar.
Onward! I though for sure that the 'illegal immigrant' comment would raise more ire than my defense of President Bush's veto, but you chose otherwise; and on your subject, I agree. I can't stand what those currently in power are doing to this nation and I watch in horror each day as more and more of our power and sovereignty is sold or given away. I think the President did the right thing in this situation, however. Before we add people to this program we need to add money and ensure that everyone eligible knows about it and signs up.
I agree with you on the dock worker's strike though. It's a sad day when the Iraqi Freedom knife I purchased in the post exchange bares a "made in Indonesia" stamp. The same goes for the rest of out tents, and weapons.
Also, no, I didn't attack someone defending CHIP. I attacked the comment, and person, who posted something that was misleading.
Oh, one more thing. Sod off crybaby! "People have the right to post" but for you "we will make an exception"? I simply love how you crazies snuggle up to free speech when it serves your purpose, then switch gears as soon as someone makes an opposing statement. As for your spelling, punctuation and grammar, I'll not comment since it seems to be one of the things you simply do not have a firm grasp on.

Posted by: onwaj6 | October 5, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Rudy's territory must include tasteless imagery. This ad is really awful and the fact that Hillary is playing the 9/11 card signals she is willing to do anything to become President.

She is obviously doing it in a less than straightforward manner so she gets the bang for the buck but not the bad press. Disgusting.

Posted by: cg_tgt | October 5, 2007 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Well now onwaj6, seems as though you need a grammer lesson of your own with your comma usage. How dare you take on the responsibility of being the editor on this blog? Not everyone in this great nation has the education that you must have or else there would not be grammatical errors of any sort in any blog. People have the right to post, they normally post how they talk, but for you, we will make an exception. TAKE A FLYING LEAP.

Do you even know when CHIP was passed? Do you know the great state of Texas ranked second in lack of health care for children when Hillary was instumental in continuing a fight for them? Do you know the current President interfered in a strike on the docks in California because our national interests were at stake? It wasn't the bananas that were rotting, it was the military items being shipped from Asia. Isn't there something wrong with Asia making the parts for our military and the President of the United States stepping in on labor's right to strike? Why the hell did they award the contract in the first place? It was on his watch.

You have the audacity to attack someone championing CHIP? Damn, you better get your head out of your ass and take a look at what is going on around you.

Posted by: mel | October 4, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember Rudy fighting for New York after 9/11? Fighting for increased security funding, emergency worker relief, anything at all?

I only remember Rudy using 9/11 to benefit himself.

Posted by: seantaylor21 | October 4, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

"Clinton got passed"?! Not only is your grammar incorrect, so is your assumption. Bill Clinton's wife had little to do with passing CHIP, she was simply one of a cadre of non-partisan Senators that voted 'yes', and she certainly did not introduce the bill. The recent expansion was vetoed, because it would have moved coverage towards families that make enough money to get insurance without help, and would have covered undeserving illegal immigrants.

Posted by: onwaj6 | October 4, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I believe that this IS Hillary's turf. From what I've heard, almost all 9-11 rescue workers have negative views of "Rudy".

Hillary truly is the only one who has stood by the rescuers for the past 6 years. And as a previously covered child in the "CHIPS" program Clinton got passed, I can say that I and my mother owe her more than anything I can say on this forum. Hillary literally allowed my single working mother to keep afloat even during the worst of our medical bill times.

Posted by: mcsizzlesizzle | October 4, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Great commercial. Apparently Kurtz hasn't read about the most recent poll his own paper has showing Clinton beating Rudy.

Posted by: rdklingus | October 4, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Is it time to overthrow our GOVERNMENT BEFORE GOD decides he's had it!!!
EVERYWHERE we look we see and hear our leaders talking more & more gibberish, lies, disgusting finger pointing!!!
EVERY DAY THEY SEEM TO GET MORE & MORE CORRUPT!!!
It seems that if you have the money & power you CAN BUY ANYONE AND ANYTHING!!!!

GOD HELP US!!!!!!!

Posted by: jeannorma | October 4, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Hillary Clinton is treading onto Rudolph W. Giuliani's turf"

Howard Kurtz's ridiculous, opinionated crap should have no place in straight news parts of the Post. People might believe he is a credible reporter, and that wouldn't be fair.

Posted by: zukermand | October 4, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse