Courting Black Voters In Essence

Senator Hillary Clinton is taking the fight for black voters to the pages of Essence Magazine next month with an article that touches on her marriage, issues related to black men and the race for the White House. The article follows lengthy pieces on Sen. Barack Obama and his wife that in recent months have run in the magazine, which is read by eight million black women. Clinton and Obama have launched a heated contest for black women's votes, particularly in South Carolina where blacks represent half of all Democratic primary voters.
Below, excerpts from the article published today on the magazine's web site.

On her marriage: "I know the truth of my life and of my marriage, my relationship and partnership, my deep abiding friendship with my husband. It's been enormously supportive to me through most of my life. Now obviously we've had challenges as everybody in the world knows. "But I never doubted that it was a marriage worth investing in even in the midst of those challenges," she says, "and I'm really happy that I made that decision. Again, not a decision for everybody. And I think it's so important for women to stand up for the right of women to make a decision that is best for them."

On the most romantic thing her husband has done for her: "Oh he's so romantic. He's always bringing me back things from his trips. He brought me a giant wooden giraffe from Africa. Oh, he bought me this watch," she said, holding out her left wrist to show off a Chanel watch, its bracelet made of white cubes shaped like elegant dentures, if you can picture it. "I had dental surgery, and he said it reminded him of teeth."

On issues relating to black men: "I reject the conversation about the failure of these young men," she says. "These could be 1.4 million husbands, fathers and role models. When we squander their potential, we squander America's potential. Ultimately then, the crisis of young men of color is a national crisis. "

--Krissah Williams

By Washington Post editors  |  October 23, 2007; 3:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Romney Must Prove He's the Genuine Article
Next: Democrats Ahead in the Race to be Recognized

Comments

My Gosh! These mean spirited comments must have been posted by Republicans. What a one-sided argument with a lot of speculation on what the trickle down from President Clinton was. I can only say that from my neighborhood most black people love Bill Clinton. Also whites love him.
I agree with Sen. Clinton that it is important to start a dialog on race. After all I still see the same attitudes today that I did thirty years ago. At least she is bringing it to light.
John Machamer

Posted by: ply19401 | October 25, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Hillary under the connubial leadership of her husband IS RESPONSIBLE for the current miserable plight of BLACK MEN, more than GWB!!! Any black woman who has a black father, brother, uncle, cousin, son, nephew, god-son, friend who has a son needs to wake up and look at the trees in the forest!! CLINTON AND HER HUSBAND HAVE PROVED MANY, MANY TIMES THEY HAVE NO LOVE FOR THE BLACK MAN!!

Beginning with the closing of military bases on the west coast and other bases in other large black populous cities, Bill sold out the black man. Black men joined, trained, educated himself, purchased homes, traveled with his family, making a better America possible. The black man became someone via the military until BILL CLINTON and his cost savings closure of bases in the nineties. He should have upgraded bases, trained extensively in newer technologies, but he did not.

He did no infrastructure work to the country, bridges, highways, airports. He could have reinstated the debaucles of the REAGAN years, air traffic controllers, yet he did not.

He closed the bases, then aided the upsurge of companies like BLACKWATER by signing on to outsourcing of not only military industries, but other government industries that are under populated in areas of need today.

BLACK FOLK WITH ANY INTELLIGENCE REALIZE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON. HOWEVER, THEY NEED TO DO THREE THINGS!!! ONE, EDUCATE THEMSELVES, TWO, BE RESPONSIBLE IF THEY HAPPEN TO BE 1 OR 2 OF BLACKS has a job today (WHICH HAS NOT BEEN OUTSOURCED), and THREE, STOP111 LOOKING AT MSM, mainstream media which has been paid to make sure blacks give away their votes in another DUMBED-DOWN election to a (creepy, so-called Centrist that is right-winged to the heart) Democrat that is no more deserving than any Republican!!

Bill Clinton, responsible for the THREE STRIKES law, has caused more young black men under the age of 18-34 to be arrested for common crimes and jailed for the rest of their lives. The reason the jail population of black men is EXPONENTIALLY INCREASING is the fault of no other than Bill Clinton in his eight years of COMPROMISE, SELL-OUT, AND ADULTURY.

Smoking a joint, driving if the they have a child of a mother who gets welfare dollars under the Clinton welfare reform (which provides a loophole for young women to get pregnant, housing, food, education, and a better life), even stealing a gallon of milk for a hungry child can land a black man in jail for the rest of his life, again I repeat under the leadership of Bill "the jazz playing" so-called black prez Clinton.

NAFTA affects educated and uneducated black men more than most, as well as open arms for illegal immigration employment. This post is specifically to the black populous who thinks Clinton (be it Bill or Hill) gives a good dog-dung about you, you are an idiot of you give your vote to her, she will give you nothing but perhaps another easy way to be jailed.

BEWARE of the SMILE, for it is nothing but a stab in your back!! Obama, Edwards, Kucinich, anyone under the Democrat umbrella is better than HRC, and I hope black folk will stop looking at TV, pick up some reading material, do a Wikipedia search if they are too lazy to go to the US Government web page to see how Hillary UNDER THE MARRIAGE OF HER HUSBAND (WHICH SHE SEEMS TO USE AS AN EXCUSE FOR EXPERIENCE) have done more to HURT THE BLACK MAN (INSTEAD OF ASSISTING HIM IN TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF HIS FAMILY), by mandating the current policy George Bush is using to further disconnect the black population from this so-called America.

Posted by: scheduler | October 24, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

we know she knows but do we 'care ?
Romantics and warmongers do not match.

Posted by: tabita | October 24, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

by her open border cheep labor policy how will that help the citys they need lots of good paying jobs and maybe the kids who do well in school can go to a college in any state without paying out of state cost she gives it away to the illegals jobs. college. but does not deliver a thing to inner citys

Posted by: getsix1 | October 23, 2007 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Her "romantic" husband cheated on her not once, but at least three times that can be fully documented. A big giraffe and a "dental" watch can hardly make up for that. Although I suppose that providing your political machine so your wife can run for president might make up for that.

But sadly, her comment on the so-called issues relating to black men, ring pretty hollow. It's what some readers of Essence want to hear. But it's no substitute for real action and policy on her part.

For a real role model of an accomplished, educated, husband and father, look to Barack Obama, not Bill Clinton or his wife.

Posted by: jade7243 | October 23, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse