GOP Abortion Rights Group Targets Romney

A GOP group favoring abortion rights that Gov. Mitt Romney (R-Mass.) once courted for support will launch a major ad campaign this weekend in Iowa and New Hampshire attacking him for reversing his position on the issue.

The Republican Majority for Choice -- which is spending more than $100,000 on TV ads in the two early voting states along with newspaper ads in the Des Moines Register, Concord Monitor and Manchester News Leader -- will highlight the fact that in 2002 Romney filled out the group's questionnaire, pledging his support for Roe v. Wade as well as for providing state funding for poor women seeking abortions. Romney, who was running for Massachusetts governor at the time, won the group's endorsement on the basis of his avowed support for legal abortion rights.

"It's an issue about trust. We believe candidates running for the highest office in our land should be capable of trust," said Jennifer Blei Stockman, the group's national co-chair, adding that when it came to the Republican Majority for Choice's 2002 endorsement, "He sought us out. He filled out our questionnaire. He wanted this."
While Stockman has given $2,300 to the campaign of former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, an abortion rights supporter, she said her group does not endorse in the presidential primary and did not coordinate with Giuliani's campaign.

Romney spokesman Kevin Madden said the advertising blitz would not shift the former governor's stance on abortion.

"Governor Romney, like Ronald Reagan before him, is a pro-life advocate who has changed in the right direction on this issue," Madden wrote in an e-mail. "Governor Romney will not back down from his pro-life position, despite this group's attempts to weaken the party and promote Mayor Giuliani's pro-choice candidacy."

But Stockman said her organization's campaign had "nothing to do with any other candidate." For the Republican Majority for Choice, apparently, it's all about Romney.

"When one is betrayed, it's hard to be forgiving," Stockman said.

--Juliet Eilperin

By Washington Post editors  |  November 28, 2007; 5:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Huckabee Nabs Falwell Jr.'s Support
Next: A Healthy Disagreement

Comments

I think it's great that Mitt Romney changed his prochoice to prolife advocacy. I wanted to add that I'd rather see a teen take birth control, it doesn't mean they are sexually active, it means that it helps lessen harsh menstrual cramps, regulating the cycle. Thus it has significant medicinal purposes and obviously protects from undesired unplanned pregnancy, which is it's purpose. If a female did get raped, at least she won't get pregnant, will just have to deal with possible STD's and prosecuting the rapist.

Posted by: guerdon6521 | December 2, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hello, as an Iowan, a Christian and an American woman who has been through an abortion. I'd like to say that it wasn't my choice. I have noticed that all concerned when bringing up this topic of Roe v. Wade, whether the media or the candidates, none of them have commented of their personal experience with it, nor common sense. What is the mystery here. Do you think anyone would choose abortion for their body to undergo, also that of their child? It is a physically painful procedure. It is an emotionally painful procedure that haunts for the majority of your life. I'm very grateful I wasn't sterile. It is not a woman's right, it follows along the lines of a premeditated murder right's. The man who persisted on my abortion was a date raptist, a serial killer, as he killed his first child, then mine. I don't know how many others. He was catholic, intending to become a priest. His first murdered offspring was from a catholic girl, I am Christian. He likely would have hunted and killed the child if I was able to give it life, the natural solution. The solution I see is that with the long awarded advent of birth control, I am indeed in control of my body. Anyone messing with the process that begins a new life, should be held legally liable for not protecting themselves with birth control. Since the males don't have any, then simply get married and quit messing with human life. Women should not be dealt with as objects, and their offspring. Premarital and extramatiral sex is messing with both life and STD's that can potentially kill. So all adults should be legally liable for their reproduction and face the consequences. Abortion should be illegal and a thing of the past. I shudder if any of my sons should ever get married, then their wives decide they don't want to have the child they conceive. Abortion shouldn't be legal. Those who speak on the issue should have direct experiences involving themselves, otherwise they simply need to speak for common sense.

Sincerely,

Shelley Watkins
300 7th Avenue
Charles City, Iowa
50616

Posted by: guerdon6521 | December 2, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The abortion issue shows America where Romney truly stands. He does not stand for anything but his own self-interest. I helped get Mitt elected in MA, believing him to be the small government conservative with the experience to solve our states problems that he sold himself as. Sorry, Mitt. My man is Ron Paul, and I know he won't let me down. He's got that rare gem called integrity.

Posted by: thrivetacobell | November 29, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

As a Catholic Man, with 13 Years of Private Catholic Education, I first will say that the Issue is never ever going to be considered as Allowable or Un-Allowable.

Even the Church conceeds that extreme circumstances can come into play. As such, I will also conceed, that as a Man, I would consider My Judgement to be Objective, and never of a Direct Nature. As an American, I find I will not try to force My opinion on anyone else. As it Stands, it is Available. The Morality of the Issue I am willing to let the People who through very Stupid circumstances got themselves into the mess, or by chance the more innocent Victim facing results of an abuse, or Health Crises. PREVENTION, is what any Responsible Adult would consider. However they define Prevention!

NOW, That, having been said. The Educated Catholic thing to now do, is tell ANYONE considering Abortion just to take an easy way out of careless reckless behavior, to think about what is really happening.

Life has been Created/Started. People are so desperate to adopt, they are going to Africa and China to get a Child to love! Consider if that Child to be was YOURSELF?

Cut Short! How many MORE chances to have a Child are you Gauranteed? Sure? Wanna Bet?

I do not know a single Mother of a Child she Bonded with, that during it's early Years, the Mother would not have given her own life to save!

Yeah, the issue is YOUR Child's life. Women, I'll leave you to your own choice of Heaven or Hell on that. Which as a Man, I guess puts me into the Your choice Catagory.

NOW, with that said, IF the Man, cannot have a say, and the Woman does not want the Man in the Child's Life-NO CHILD SUPPORT! Fair should be FAIR!

Posted by: rat-the | November 28, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

As a Massachusetts resident who has found himself posting anti-Romney messages on political blogs around the net, this group's actions put my primary concern into focus. Over the course of years Mitt repeatedly, publicly and privately, and strongly told us he supported x,y, and z. Now he is Mr. Anti-x,y, and z. His timely conversions had all the truth of a transparently politically-expedient self-serving joke. I don't believe he is a bad man, but he lied to us. He will say anything to get elected. Yes, all politicians dissemble. But Mitt lies. The crux: Mitt Romney has proven himself to not be a trustworthy individual.

Posted by: northlite | November 28, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse