A Back-Handed Compliment For Clinton

Hillary Clinton's scars from her White House days aren't just from not passing universal health care. She was asked in an interview by the Globe Gazette, the paper in Mason City, Iowa where she had just spoken, "what's the thing about you that you think is the most misunderstood because of the image people have of you?"

According to the story, she did not hesitate before replying:

"The most common thing I hear from people who meet me is, 'Say, you're really nice.' It's a back-handed compliment, I know, but I'll take it," she told the paper.

Asked about her musical talents compared to her husband's saxophone playing, she was similarly modest.

"I'm a very bad piano player. I took lessons for six years and it's just one of those things that, well, I wouldn't want to do it in public.

And then, perhaps referencing her less than pitch-perfect rendition of the national anthem, she added:
"Singing is another thing I should always do behind closed doors."

--Perry Bacon Jr.

By Washington Post editors  |  November 6, 2007; 4:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Can the Vote Still Rock?
Next: Small Snag in Kucinich's Impeachment Quest

Comments

Edwards nails Hillary - again!!

Oh- and Edwards opposes DLs for illegal immigrants.

Posted by: annefrank | November 7, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Great responce raypenko, you get my vote along with Hillary.

Posted by: ihtr | November 7, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

So, Jade, let me get this right. Nothing was ever proven to have been done wrong by the Clinton's regarding Whitewater, yet you still harbor resentment over it.Could it be you are just jealous of Bill Clinton's successful presidency and the unsuccessful presidencies of Bush 1 and 2?
Are you really suggesting that the Clinton's activities you suggest were committed, which haven't been proven, are worse than the deaths of almost 4,000 American soldiers and the cost to our economy of over several trillion dollars?
And, Hillary's knowledge and experience with the health care debacle of the 1990's actually makes her more qualified in the eyes of many to take leadership on this issue from the get go when she wins the White House. I can't name a Republican who knows as much about health care as Hillary does. As for Vince Foster, not a thing was ever found to suggest Bill or Hillary was involved in Vince Foster's death. In fact, it was suggested his suicide was the result of his concern that his activities might hurt the Clinton's while they were in the White House-suicide is a decision an individual makes, and only that individual can be held responsible for doing.
Sorry if you weren't reading the papers and listening to the news, following the Evangelical Christians as they spewed venom at the Clinton's. No question there was a right wing conspiracy, and by writing about things that are not proven in your blog addition here, you are perpetuating the process. Let's discuss the issues and how many ideas the Republicans have put forth as opposed to Hillary Clinton. Once we get into the real issues, the public see's who the people's choice is-not Rudy, for sure. Hillary for sure. No charges, by the way, were ever brought against Hillary for anything. You just like to blabber. As for Monica Lewinsky-that is old news and involved Hillary's husband. Are you married? Do you have the perfect marriage? Has your wife cheated on you? Have you cheated on your wife? If yes, did you forgive? If no, how can you be the judge of someone else's marriage? Most people laugh when they are nervous. What's new? You use sarcasm to vent your anger rather than discussing issues constructively. Your comment of "undressing me with his eyes" gives it all away. You are sexist. You are just afraid of having a female as president. Deal with it. You're more revealing than a clear bowl filled with goldfish.

Posted by: raypenko | November 7, 2007 5:53 AM | Report abuse

Hysterical right-wingers love to foam at the mouth about the Clintons while forgetting about the hideous incompetence and lying of W and Darth. Same old same old.

Posted by: mikael327 | November 6, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

So jade, I take it that Hillary's got your vote ;-)

Posted by: maelisa | November 6, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

"Gee, Perry... Just because I was at the center of just about every scandal in the White House and the governor's mansion in Arkansas, doesn't mean you shouldn't like me. I mean, okay, I exercised bad judgment when I got Bill to go along with buying that land called Whitewater. Then I sorta goofed when I was helping the McDougals with Madison Guaranty-- you know when I kind of structured the sale and resale of loans to help hide some not so scrupulous deals. And so what if I fudged the billing records from the Rose Law Firm and "lost" them while they were under subpoena from the Feds. But really, you can't blame me for Troopergate, that was all Bill. I just tried not to pay attention to "procurement process." After Gennifer Flowers? Ha! Now, Travelgate wasn't really my fault either. Just because Harry Thomason tricked me into firing those people doesn't mean anything. And of course I'm still heartbroken over poor Vince Foster. It's true, Ira Magaziner and I should have been a little more forthcoming about the whole healthcare thing, but at the time, it seemed like it was the right thing to do. Then the gosh darn Washington Post of all people just wouldn't let go of the whole Whitewater thing, they kept demanding all these papers be released, and forced us in to having to appoint a special prosecutor. Then the vast right wing conspiracy kicked in. And testifying before the House and the Senate. Under oath!!!! Do you think that was a cakewalk? And a grand jury? You'd think they thought I was some kind of a criminal or something. And that girl Monica tried to steal my husband. Which just made that pervert Ken Starr go crazy. You should have seen how he looked at me, practically undressing me with his eyes. Sure, I'm a nice person. I like to laugh inappropriately at times when I feel cornered, I mean, nervous. And when Bill is re-elected... HAHAHAHA!... I mean when I'M elected... oh dear! Now there's a 'gotcha' moment. I can't believe I didn't say what I just said... Whoops! Gotta run..."

Posted by: jade7243 | November 6, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse