All Calm in Romney Land

Mitt Romney goes about his business. (AP).

By Michael D. Shear
Perhaps it's the knowledge that they'll have whatever money they need in the end. Maybe it's the same never-panic corporate mentality that leads a bunch of them to wear nicely pressed suits all the time.

Whatever it is, the people around embattled Republican candidate Mitt Romney don't seem worried.

"I'm not unhappy with where we are," said media adviser Stuart Stevens as he flew with Romney and reporters from South Carolina to Des Moines.

Yes, they acknowledge, Romney's lead in Iowa has been erased by a surging former governor of Arkansas. And yes, their opposition research and communications teams are doing a frantic U-turn to adjust.

But as they skip from news conference to rally on a chartered, 50-seat jet, there's a calm that is surprising given what's at stake in the next 15 days.

If Mike Huckabee wins in Iowa, Romney's campaign will have only four days to recover before making a stand in New Hampshire, where he is leading in recent polls.

But Romney aides stress what they said is the upside for their candidate: Huckabee's meteoric rise has reset expectations for Romney, who will now be credited with a meaningful win in Iowa should he pull it off.

And they are working methodically to make that happen, despite the Huckabee hype.

Romney's message has become all Huck, all the time. He no longer mentions former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani on the stump. He doesn't talk about Arizona Sen. John McCain much. His advisers barely mention former senator Fred Thompson.

(The message is being boosted by the efforts of the media, which have also turned their focus to Huckabee's record in the last several weeks.)

It's working, according to the Romney folks, who say their internal polls show Huckabee's negatives are rising quickly. Are they rising quickly enough to save Romney's skin in Iowa? Stevens shrugs, but then smiles and nods his head.

But even if Huckabee should win in Iowa, Romney's advisers have a steely confidence that their candidate is still in a good position to win the nomination.

They believe Huckabee is a flash in the pan whose rise is similar to that of McCain in 2000, when he gave then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush a scare but ultimately petered out. They note he is struggling in New Hampshire.

McCain is making a similar run in New Hampshire this time, but Romney's advisers, while eyeing him cautiously, don't describe him as a major threat.

They are convinced that Giuliani is too liberal to win, and they are buoyed by recent national polls which show him continuing to drop, and by the former mayor's schedule, which has him abandoning Iowa and New Hampshire. During the final push after Christmas, Giuliani is scheduled to go to Florida for three solid days.

Their confidence could end up being misplaced. And aides stress they are not taking anything for granted. But for the moment, anyway, a sense of pure panic has yet to set in.

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 19, 2007; 11:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Spot: Romney "Helped Save My Daughter"
Next: On the Stump, Romney Defends Bush

Comments

Almost every post below goes to Romney's religion. Well like it or not he at least stands by it. Here is what I know- Huckabee has already been sighted for ethics violations and other character and moral issues. This is a problem when he just barely is into the race. What happens as the race goes on and people really start digging? He has not been truly under that much scrutiny and already this has come up. Do we really need more republicans in WDC with these kinds of issues? It is like handing the country to the Dems on a silver platter. The best they can do on Romney's past is "OMG he's a Mormon and he believes in Joe Smith." Well Joe Smith lived around 200 years ago and that is the best people can do. Huckabee is here and now and apparently has more issue than the Smith guy ever did. Also, really let's look at experience, ability, education and electability. Yea, if we go there I think we need to consider only McCain or Romney.

Posted by: roxierickey | December 20, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

This is a telling article which strikes a marked contrast with the intrigue, infighting, finger pointing, and firings in Hillary's camp over the same dynamic with Obama. Romney will be cool under pressure, Hillary will not be.

Posted by: DanLounsbury | December 20, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry JakeD. The last part of my post was not directed to you. I should have made that more clear.

Posted by: robertpaul18 | December 19, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Chuck Hagel.
He was the only GOP candidate worth voitng for.
Some one should ask him to run since these clowns are not worth to gas to get to the polls.

Posted by: hhkeller | December 19, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

JakeD-NO, Mitt Romney should not be fined for Hiring Mr. Saenz. Mr. Saenz is a legal Contractor!

YES, Mr. Saenz should be fined $1,000/ verifiable Day/ Un-Documented Worker he Employed!

He is the one who has the legal right to request a prospective Employee for ID's to record on the W-4 he, as the Em[ployer is Federally required to collect for Tax and Payrolling pourposes!

Mitt Romney had no legal right to question Mr. Saenz's Workers!

He is ONLY a State Governor, and NOT a Federal Agent!

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

BOBSTERII:

What do you consider an "attack" ad? Do you think Mr. Gay's ad about Romney saving his daughter's life was an "attack" ad, and, if so, whom is being "attacked"?

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

OVER HER IN IOWA, ROMNEY IS RUNNING ATTACKING ADS ON HUCKABEE, WHILE HUCKABEE IS RUNNING ADS AS "MERRY CHRISTMASS TO ALL OF YOU". WHICH ONE WOULD YOU VOTE FOR? FOR THE GUY THAT IS ATTACKING SOMEBODY OR THE GUY THAT WISH YOU TO HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY. ROMNEY IS HYPED OVER EVERYTHING, HE WILL HAVE A HAERT ATTACK PRETTY SOON.

Posted by: BOBSTERII | December 19, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Please post where I have made any "ignorant comments about his beliefs" -- perhaps you have me confused with someone else -- I posted the following at 04:11 PM:

"I have no problem with Romney's Mormon faith -- as long as he's the right guy on the issues I think are important -- just as I had no problem with Kennedy's Catholicism."

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

JakeD, I'm sorry rats comment was a little over your head. But I think he did answer your question. You might want to read his response(es) again. Now, Romney is definitely the right person for the job. Who cares what his religion is, and if all you can come up with are ignorant comments about his beliefs then I think he is on track to win the nomination.The American people are not going to let something like that keep them from voting for the right person for the job.

Posted by: robertpaul18 | December 19, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Look, rat, if you don't want to answer my questions (wouldn't "over-answering" imply that your answered my questions and then provided even more?) that's no skin off my nose -- have a nice life : )

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

JakeD-I over-Answered your comment!

Read MY LIPS! Mitt Romney had NO Legal Right to check the legality of Mr. Saenz's(The Landscapper) Employees! If, he had suspicions, he could contact Federal Authorities to investigate.

THAT, is EXACTLY the problem. It is a Federal Law, the Feds have severely dropped the ball on, and are simply REFUSING to pick it up!

It is the employer's responsability, and the Fed's duty to follow up on!

Even a State's Governor, is NOT a duly commisioned Federal Agent, able to question a worker's ID.

However, States like Texas do have a legal requirement that people are able to prove their ID-The Crime "Failure to identify", but, somehow we don't feel someone should have to comply with that particular Law, to Vote!???

(Eyes rolling over and over)!

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

He's corporate cool, he's corporate calm, he's.....Romney Man!! The R's don't have a chance. America is sick of their false religious/false patriotic/ false values lies. What have they done besides demonize anyone who disagrees with them, start a phony war on terrorism (No old ladies on planes with more than 3.4 oz of hand lotion), massive deficits, declare a Unitary Presidency (dictatorship), wiretap Americans, and throw away hundreds of years of International Law. Until a Republican candidate addresses these issues, they'll crash and burn in 2008.

Posted by: thebobbob | December 19, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

No thanks -- you didn't even answer my question, but given your non-responsive rant, let me try another one: do you think employers should be able to shield themselves from fines by simply hiring contractors who in turn hire the illegals?

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

JakeD-Congrats for losing all credibility!

The Landscaping Company Contracted to perform the services, had the Un-Documented Workers in their employment!

FYI-Not even the Governor is an authorized FEDERAL Agent able to question a Worker about his Legality. It is a Federal Issue-that can be petitioned for the ability to perform with proper Commissioning and training, by Local Agents.

See, it was at the time of Employment, that Senor Saenz, the Contractor, had the OBLIGATION to verify legal documentation and ability to be Employed of HIS Epmloyees to be! Saenz, is then required to PAYROLL his Employees and file proper Taxes-to the Federal Government!

What Mitt Romney is able to do is "Ask" about the Contractor's having screened his employees, or report any suspicions to ICE.

Now, Mr. Saenz gets to worry about what is going to happen to HIS bank account, as ICE contacts the IRS!

Your Welcome!

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

rat:

Do you think Romney should fine himself for hiring "illegal" gardeners?

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Ivanruss_2000- Actually, I was all for a completely different pair of candidates, who failed to even enter.
Living in places like Hawaii, California, and currently Texas, Mitt Romney was an inigma to me. I was a little opposed to the thought of anything from the same State as Lurch, and Kennedy! Matter of Fact, I was seriously against the Mittster because of the associated guilt!

Then, I slowly began to learn about his background and accomplishments!

He "Sold" me, with the intelligent comment he made about the BIGGEST problem facing this nation, and MY life in Particular, when he said WE NEED TO JUST ENFORCE THE LAWS ON OUR BOOKS!

No need to rewrite very good policies, or grant criminals amnesty. Just simply BUST THE CRIMINAL EMPLOYERS! $1,000 per Worker, per Offense is plenty disruptive, IF JUST DONE!

No mas trabajo para Invasorios? No mas Invasorios! Comprende?!

Hasta la Vista!

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Mitty" at least didn't raise taxes in Massachusetts, right?

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Well, well, well. I'll tell you what, Mr. Rat, jealousy might be an ugly characteristic. However, feeblemindedness is far worse. Apparently you missed the part where I made the same argument you did. What a waste of good space on some hard drive somewhere at the Washington Post. Perhaps inference is a skill you have yet to master. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you have somehow managed to let dozens of Romney's inconsistencies and depravities slip by you while you've been begging at his feet to feed you whatever it is you want to hear. You're just the type Romney loves. You look into his eyes without a care in the world and are prepared to defend, rationalize or ignore his decades of insanity. Just don't blame me when the grease hits you in the eye. I'm sure you'll remember me whenever Romney comes up with one of his "airtight" solutions (a reference to Romney's defense of putting his dog in an "airtight" kennel on top of the family car). Perhaps when you have the federal government mandating that you supply yourself with unaffordable health insurance and you're suffocating from one of Romney's wise "business" decisions you'll regret the day you ever counted yourself Romney supporter. Your ignorance is absolutely pathetic. In fact, it makes me a little sad for you. I challenge you to actually look at how Mitt's legacy has left the fine people of Massachusetts. It's a scary glimpse into what the future holds for this country if Mitty gets elected. I suggest the next time you try to make a snappy retort you step away from the shadow of Romney's looming brow and conjure up some wit of your own.

Posted by: Ivanruss_2000 | December 19, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

For any answer to any question about Mormonism you may have (even about moonmen) please visit www.fairlds.org.

Posted by: austinyoung8 | December 19, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Individual Latter-day Saints and some LDS Church leaders have espoused opinions that demonstrate their PERSONAL BELIEFS in other life in the universe.

According to Oliver B. Huntington, Joseph Smith, Jr. instructed,

"The inhabitants of the moon are more of a uniform size than the inhabitants of the earth, being about six feet in height. They dress very much like the Quaker style and are quite general in style or the one fashion of dress. They live to be very old; coming generally, near a thousand years."[50]

Huntington also records of a blessing he received when he was ten years old:

"In my patriarchal blessing, given by the father of Joseph the Prophet [Joseph Smith, Sr.], in Kirtland, 1837, I was told that I should preach the gospel before I was 21 years of age; that I should preach the gospel to the inhabitants upon the islands of the sea, and--to the inhabitants of the moon, even the planet you can now see with your eyes."[51]

Researchers have expressed strong doubts about the reliability of these statements, since they were both second-hand accounts from Huntington and were reported approximately forty years after both Smiths had died.[52] Further, there are no contemporary reports, records, or any other written support of Smith's views or statements on extraterrestrials, nor are there any reports of statements other than those claimed by Huntington. It has also been pointed out by LDS apologists that unlike many of Smith's statements, there is no indication that Smith claimed that his opinion on extraterrestrials was revealed to him by God.[53]

taken from : http://www.lightplanet.com/response/answers/moon.htm

Posted by: austinyoung8 | December 19, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

g123golf:

"But in a world like today you need more then a preacher could ever do?"

If that's a question, I guess my answer would be "no" -- someone like Huckabee is exactly who we need in the White House -- I am a realist, though, so I'm saying that I wish Huckabee already had a couple million dollars in his campaign account, because then I'd vote for him since he would have what it will take to beat whomever the Democrats put up.

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Mitt is a far better person then Huckabee could ever be. Romney nows business and forign affairs much better and for a people person its Mitt all the way. IF you want a preacher in the white house on Sunday Huckabee is your man. But in a world like today you need more then a preacher could ever do? You need Mitt because he can cross the lines with any person he is setting with he is a fiscal conservative and he will lead us in ways no one has ever done because he no's how to get the job done more money will flow into america and more jobs he is looking after. thats what we want no more tax's and Huckabee is nothing but taxs when he robs your pockets of money you will be to dam late.

Posted by: g123golf | December 19, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

eSP01-Now you have ticked this Catholic Dude Off!

WHAT do YOU think YOU know of Doctrine?

Kabbals? Sythesis? Vedics?

How about the period of the Catholic Church when the Gospels were Edited, Modified, Elaborated, or in many cases Disguarded?

Are YOU even remotely aware the Egyptians forbade the Israelites from practicing their Religion-For Hundreds of Years?
That the "Old" Testiment was writen AFTER the fact?-I am Talking about Genesis, and what the Stories are really all about!

To any Evangelical I have this to say:

Yod-He-Vau-He!

Google it, and Finally LEARN something intelligent!

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Its all about judgement. Can a man whos "Prophet" told mankind there was people on the moon who dressed like quakers be trusted with our national securiy and credibility around the world ?

Posted by: eSPO1 | December 19, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

IVANRUSS2000-

Jealousy, is SUCH an UGLY Charactoristic!

Do you have a Clue,

I mean even a smidgen of a hint,

at how many people are behind the President in the White House?

That the Job is best done by an OPEN-MINDED exectutive willing to consider multiple views, possibly combine and tweak some, and be the STATESMAN for the assembly!

The BIGGEST Screw-ups in recent history, are the two "Think-They-Knew-It All" Clowns, Jimminey Cahter, and Shrub!(Does'nt measure up to a Bush!).

Mitt Romney and Huck, with Giuliani, McCain, Dr. Ron Paul,Thompson,and Tancredo in their Cabinet,-and possibly Colin Powell back at Secretary of State, is what this Country could seriously use!

Heck, maybe in 4 years, Mitt might be ready to let one of the others take over, After he has repaired this broken Country!

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I am not anti-Mormon, I am pro-truth. My sources are from years of studying Mormon history and literature , the Bible and various works by scholars. As Christians we are to love the sinner and hate the sin.
I do what I do out of genuine concern.

Posted by: eSPO1 | December 19, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"The Mormons believe in a "Jesus" but not the Jesus of the Bible."

This is absolutely untrue eSPO1, if one would like to learn why your statement is untrue, visit this link:

It explains using scripture from the Holy Bible why Mormons believe God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost to be three seperate beings.

Posted by: austinyoung8 | December 19, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for America, bigotry is alive and well in some parts of the "Christian" community. People allow their lives to be led by hatred and ignorance to another person's religious beliefs. I pity people like that and pray that someday they will see that having hate in their hearts is an awful way to go through life. Mitt Romney seems like a decent man who loves his family, his country, and his God. This and his vast qualifications should be enough for him to get the nomination.

Posted by: pccu | December 19, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Mitt Romney is good... really good. I don't think I have ever been so impressed with another presidential candidate in twenty years! This guy is some kind of miracle worker. In fact, maybe we should all just vote for Mitt. If his ability to hypnotize and hoodwink world leaders is anything akin to his aptitude for schmoozing and coning American voters, count me in! Look, I'm a Latter-day Saint. Furthermore, I'm a strident republican. But even I cannot help but be absolutely mortified that this charlatan has both Latter-day Saints and republicans eating out of his hand like scared little puppy dogs. It's like watching at a car wreck; I can't look away. I understand the women who are just so charmed by his ken-doll looks that they regret every day of their married lives and are willing to piss away a vote on an elderly Chip 'n Dale to facilitate their matronly fantasies. Come on, ladies, just because you vote for Mitt doesn't mean that all the swooning fan letters you send him are going to make your pathetic delusions any more real. As for the dudes... I'm at a loss. It should be abundantly clear that Mitt Romney is willing to do and say anything - also known as pandering - to get all the praise, glory and power he believes he deserves. This guy does not have a moral or ethical bone in his body... just a lot of bones that are money hungry. Romney is yet another example of a nauseatingly rich business type who thinks he can buy political power. Heck, he's got all the money he knows what to do with... "What's next"... "Oh, I purchase the office of president because my dead daddy, who never gave me any love or attention, couldn't afford it with all his millions." Does anybody remember the last time we had an immoral president? I vaguely remember something about some Kenneth Star and somethingorother Lewinsky with all sorts of stains in the oval office ... I seem to remember a whole lot of high and mighty republicans back then willing to lynch slick Willy for his "immortality". I understand that Huckabee is perhaps not the best-suited candidate to be president. What happened to all the others? Since when has this race become Romney vs. Huckabee? Oh, I just remembered why all the dudes will vote for Romney. While all their wives are stroking glamour shots of Willard (Mitt's given name) they'll all be fantasizing about how if Mitt can get rich so can they. Right? That's the only reason why anybody tolerates the rich... because they figure that if they tolerate them long enough they'll get there too. Got news for ya'all, you're not gunna get rich so get over it. Meanwhile, you should be figuring out how to drag your wives away from ol' Mitty boy. Quite frankly I don't care how much money or education Romney has. Last time I checked, education and wealth usually don't make for good presidents. Matt Damon up there should probably do his homework on that matter. Clinton, the most reviled figure (by republicans) from the Democratic Party in recent history, is a Rhodes scholar. It's safe to say that Willy is pretty darn smart. Ronald Regan? Well, the father of modern-day republicanism had a bachelor's degree from little ol' Eureka College. The point is that presidents should be smart. However, all the money and education in the world can't buy the morality and wisdom necessary to lead this country. I just hope that's not a lesson this country is going to have to learn the hard way... again.

Posted by: Ivanruss_2000 | December 19, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Nice eSPO1, Where do you get your fact the Anti-mormon digest. 99% of what you just spewed was ignorant, unfounded, taken out of context, information. Only a truly hateful person still uses that old anti-mormon tactic that have been resolved time and again, truely christain of you to bash your fellow americans.

Christians as a whole are not Bigot's only the unenlightened, uneducated and those who choose to live in ignorance become bigot's. I have friends of many faiths, it not our religious differnces that make's us friends, its what we have in common. People shouldn't make they're decisions based on religios ideology, but on values, morals and commonalities of the person running. Romney as an American would be good for this country because of his values and is economic genius. He could do alot for this country domestically. I think McCain despite His and Romneys difference would be a good choice for VP, or the reverse would work for me aswell.

Huckabee is out. He Lied when he said knew very little of the mormon faith. Any Evangelical Knows, or has taken classes about Mormonism. The Majority of what is taught, printed and distributed to the Evangelical society is taken out of context, false, or compared to the evangelical view or interpretation of Christian Tradition and Theology.

Posted by: shawnewilson | December 19, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Mitt Romney is demonstrating the toughness, intelligence, and most importantly, the money to compete in the general election against Hillary Clinton. Hillary would spend McCain and Huckabee under the table. Romney has the appeal to attract most social AND fiscal conservatives. Look at his record...not the old worn-out "gotcha" quotes on you-tube, but what he actually delivered as Governor.

Posted by: pccu | December 19, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

austin young wrote "I have a question eSPO1, if you believe that Mitt Romney's firm belief in his Mormon faith destroys all confidence in his judgement, than why do many regard President Kennedy as an icon of American hopes and aspirations, continuing to rank highly in public opinion ratings of former U.S. presidents?.. He was in fact a Catholic. Many Protestants disagree with the Roman Catholic Church's doctrines, the priest sexual abuse scandals, and "idolising saints". In fact, A May 12, 2006, Gallup states that 30% of Americans have an unfavourable view of the Roman Catholic faith with 57% having a favourable view. If President Kennedy was a strong president, with good judgement, and yet was a practicing Roman Catholic, than why would Mitt Romney being a faithful Mormon affect his judgement? They both, according to you, must have "bad judgement", because of their believing (with all constitutional right) differently than you do."

You cannot compare Mormonism to Catholicism or Kennedy to Romney. Catholocism is a Christian religion, Mormonism is not. The Mormons believe in a "Jesus" but not the Jesus of the Bible.
Your question is answered.

jaymajeske, you wrote
"eSPO1, It is sad that you are going to let religious bigotry control your life. Seeing as how you pretend to be Christian I suggest you read the story of The Good Samaritan. Mitt is not an evangelical Christian but his actions over the last 20 years shows that he is a true social and fiscal conservative who cares about what is best for the American people. He respects people of all faith and has what it takes to be a great president. The only thing that stands in the way of Mitt becoming one of the greatest American Presidents is bigots like you."

I am no religious bigot. I have many friends of all faiths and backgrounds. I lived in Utah for twenty years and have many Mormon friends. I could never get my mind around their beliefs, I studied them profusely and found they more resembled a fairytale than a faith. Romney flip flops , like the god of mormonism, and I can`t see this being good for our country.
There are many voters that wish to vote for a Christian and to let them vote for Romney thinking he is one is a great mistake. I am sure Mitt is a fine man with a great family but ... what all Mormons need to know is
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matt 7:15-23)

Posted by: eSPO1 | December 19, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

JEDMERRILL-I concurr that a Romney/Huck Ticket would be the strongest way to galvanize the Base. BUT, I also see great value in a Military Man, a Former Senator, a Strong Legal Mind-even if he could only be considered a Republican in New York, a Military trained Doctor of Medicine with unique views, and a Labor Law Advocate-In the Cabinet behind them!

Hola-Dr. Rudy McRomsonnedobee!

My Choice for a SURE WIN-"ALL OF THE ABOVE!"

Seriously, it will require a Team effort to fix this BUSHwacked Country!

And I include Congress in that accusation!
Bushie has had a Lot of Help!

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jay.majeske | December 19, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the Washington Post for this story! It is good to hear good news sometimes in both politics and war.

I have a feeling (right or not) that Romney will take Iowa, and personally I would like to see him take on Huckabee as his VP. In 8 years, Huckabee would have the experience to be President. Mike is well qualified as a Christian, but not as a candidate, yet.

Together, they would unify the Republican base, have enough $$$ to beat Hillary or Obama and allow Mitt to do his thing, turning around the deficit, and begin to create a new Republican Golden Age, not just for Republicans but for all Americans.

Maybe I am just biased because I saw Mitt's excellent work, both organizationally and in security, first hand during the 2002 Olympics. I also am part venture capitalist, so I admire Mitt's private sector accomplishments to death.

You can't complain about his education, and for those who ACTUALLY know what Mormonism is all about, Mitt's mental capacity and moral judgement are hardly in question. Joseph Smith was not a gold digger, but a truth seeker, as are all Mormons I know.

My dime and my faith are in Mitt.

Posted by: JedMerrill | December 19, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"Many people question the judgement of a candidate that can buy into a new religion that flys in the face of traditional Christianity regardless of its historical,theological, and proven fallacious origins." (quoted from comment Posted by: eSPO1 | December 19, 2007 01:33 PM)

Posted by: austinyoung8 | December 19, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I love Matt_Damon's comment because I was suffering from the same problems in comparing the two candidates...

Mitt '08.

Posted by: ClubbieTim | December 19, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I hear David Koresh was very calm in the face of crisis too. Lashing out the way he is is far from "calm" I`d call it quiet resolve to confront reality. The reality that he can`t win. Spending millions to Huckabees thousands and still getting beaten is nothing to be calm about. Romneys real problem is that many people that have been raised as Christians know of the theological clash between evangelical Christians and Mormons. The war has been going on since Joseph Smith broke out of jail and shot people while attempting to escape. Joseph Smith, The Mormon prophet, had his brainstorm to somehow, cash in on the religious fervor of the day. He tried 'money digging" and went to court over the fraud. Miraculously, in a vision of an angel appeared to him and taught him how he was to lead the" only true church on earth" because "all other churches are corrupt" Christians are told ( and I paraphrase) that We are not to respect or believe any gospel that is taught that does not agree with the teachings of a Bible, EVEN IF AN ANGEL OF LIGHT DELIVERS THEM. Christians are not to honor any book that adds , or takes away,from the inspired word of God, the Bible. Mormons believe that the book of Mormon and their other "holy" books are an addendum to the Bible and place them on the same plane as the Bible. Their holy books teach of entire people and civilizations that science has proven have NEVER EXISTED. ( Check with the Smithsonian) While the Bible is used as a historical and geographical guide. Their books promote polygamy, and the inadequate character of people of color to hold high office in the "Priesthood".While many of these doctrines have been changed through "Revelation" (read Their god changed his mind,) our God is unchanging. Joseph Smith taught that people populated the moon and looked like Quakers ( he never figured that we `d get there) The Bible teaches us that if we encounter a "so called prophet his test will be " if he ever utters anything that turns out to be false WE ARE NOT TO RESPECT HIM ". There are many fallacies in this book of fairytale and plagiarism and some are in direct conflict with the teachings of the Bible. This is why many concider Mormonism a non Christian cult and real Christians know that to support such a candidate would be folly and downright sinful. This is the real problem that Mitt Romney faces. All the "pundits" need to realize this. The Presidency calls for good judgement ,faith, and a strong moral and ethical value system. Many people question the judgement of a candidate that can buy into a new religion that flys in the face of traditional Christianity regardless of its historical,theological, and proven fallacious origins. Here is a great article.

Posted by: eSPO1 | December 19, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Romney should be calm. Other than Thompson, he is the only rep candidate that won't split the fiscal/social conservative coalition in the actual election. Huckabee is pulling more votes from Thompson than Romney. As the primaries move on, voters will realize what a Huckabee or Giuliani nomination would do to the party-ostracize a major portion of their voter base leading to low voter turnout or even create a third party candidate that waltzes a dem into the White House. Unless republicans have decided that they want a dem in the White House, their most prudent choice is Thompson or Romney.

Posted by: anjos | December 19, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

The Romney "calmness" is somewhat disturbing. He and his people have the demeanor of Moonies. If he were a human being like his father was, he would have my support. Romney-fils comes across as ready for insertion into the Disney Hall of Presidents as their newest automiton.

Posted by: dyinglikeflies | December 19, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

For those who didn't catch my post yesterday, I'm trying to decide between two candidates: Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee. It's really tough to decide. Both candidates have comparable educational backgrounds that qualify them to lead the United States (Huckabee's 2.5-year bachelor degree in religion from Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia is roughly equivalent to Romney's cum laude law degree and Baker scholar MBA degree from Harvard, right?). Both candidates served as governors of states that face equally complex problems (Arkansas, with its population of 2.8 million and gross state product of $87 billion, is pretty much the same as Massachusetts, with its population of 6.4 million and gross state product of $318 billion, right?). Both candidates have pre-political experience that qualify them to be President (Huckabee was a pastor of several Southern Baptist churches in Arkadelphia, Texarkana, and Pine Bluff, Arkansas and served as president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention; no doubt equal to Romney's founding and taking of Bain Capital from a $37M fund to a $50B fund in 20 years and rescuing the 2002 Olympics). And both have wives and children that would make a great First Family (compare Huckabee family photo at http://rubechat.kfan.com/forums/thread/2297213.aspx with Romney family photo at http://blog.electromneyin2008.com/about-mitt-romney/ ). So you can see why I am having such a difficult time making up my mind . . .

Posted by: Matt_Damon | December 19, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The MSM has done an excellent job of using Huck's religious foundation in a very rural and Evangelical State, to make the contest what it is.
Everyone should realize that the MSM strongly supports the Dims, and wants to create as many wedge issues as it can between the weaker(Thanks BUSH!) Conservative Base.
It is still a long way from the final election, and as the West Coast and the Third Coast States learn more about Romney's outstanding Background, I am sure he will gain momentum.

What I would LOVE to know, is why such turkey little States, head the Primaries, while Major States like New York, Texas, Florida, and California are ignored?!!

I mean seriously, Iowa?

Was Arkansas too busy?

Posted by: rat-the | December 19, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"...

"I'm not unhappy with where we are," said media adviser Stuart Stevens ...
... there's a calm that is surprising given what's at stake in the next 15 days.
... they are working methodically ...
... Romney's advisers have a steely confidence ...
... a sense of pure panic has yet to set in."

OK, we get it. Someone would like us to believe the Romney campaign is not scrambling.
My question, why is Michael Shear telling us? Isn't this normally the responsibility of actual campaign operatives? Shouldn't Michael Shear be "reporting" actual "news" rather than typing up the Romney campaign's press releases?

Posted by: zukermand | December 19, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Still concerned that a vote for anyone but Romney or McCain will be a vote for Clinton. I prefer Romney or Obama... individual successes, honest, hardworking people with a vision for change.

Posted by: a44wilson | December 19, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee just doesn't have the money to win this race -- too little, too late -- unless Huckabee thinks he is going to magically receive $100 million after Iowa?

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse