Celebrating the Birth of Christ with Huckabee

By Garance Franke-Ruta

Add another one to the category of new for the '08 campaign: the holiday online-video-card-cum-campaign advertisement. Following Ron Paul's "Season's Greetings" YouTube of last week, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee released a YouTube Christmas greeting today. The ad, his campaign says, will go on to air in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, and represents a novel way to continue campaigning during a time of year when voters are turning inward.

"This time of year sometimes it's nice to put aside all of that and just remember that what really matters is the celebration of the birth of Christ and being with our family, and our friends," says Huckabee of the political ads clogging the early state airwaves. "On behalf of all of us, God bless and Merry Christmas. I'm Mike Huckabee, and I approved this message."

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 17, 2007; 1:45 PM ET
Categories:  A_Blog , Mike Huckabee , Season's Greetings
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fresh Doubts About Clinton in N.H.
Next: Old Friends Talk Up Clinton in Iowa

Comments

If you took a felt pen and drew a horizontal line across the huckster's ass you would have a cross and that is as close to real religion as that phony piece of #$%& is ever going to be.

Posted by: rstaffor | December 20, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Political ads with religious symbols are there to reach a special audience. I am a liberal Christian which means that I follow Jesus' teachings and support our Constitution which prohibits religious tests for office. I do not want anyone I might vote for to be playing a religious game. Huckabee is quite personable and may be a decent man. But he has said things to the effect that he is expecting history to play out in the Middle East leading to Armaggedon. No way do I want a commander in chief of the largest military in the history of the world with nuclear armaments with his finger on the button to fulfill some supposed prophesy.

Posted by: urthsong | December 20, 2007 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Those are excellent points, and I agree that the unborn and infirm have the same rights endowed by our Creator --- my point is that the Creator is larger than any of our narrower, detailed beliefs.

I don't yet know if I believe that someone like Mike can stop himself at the level of 'Creator', without then governing based on his own narrower belief systems about who and what the Creator is all about (read: What would Jesus do?), when not everyone in this country is aligned with that concept to begin with. That's all I'm saying.

On the other hand, I think it's safe to say that no one running for office today (at least among those who have a chance of being a nominee) would say that he or she had no belief/faith system whatsoever. So, in short anyone is influenced by his/her beliefs.

Still, to run commercials that obviously are marketed to conservative Christians specifically (or even the more liberal of those Christians) --- that gives me pause because he is no longer speaking to everyone, just those who believe in what he does. I'm not convinced that makes a good president.

Posted by: shprof | December 19, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I might remind you that Christians founded and ran the abolitionist and civil rights movements. Yes, they were radical beliefs in their time, but this great nation, built on 'inalienable rights endowed by our Creator', came to see the wisdom of treating African Americans as human beings with God-given rights. I pray that God-fearing Christians, Jews, and Muslims may help this nation recognize the rights of the unborn, and the infirm, like Terri Schiavo someday, and give them equal rights to the rest of us.
Huckabee is a honest man of principle, who respects God. I'm voting for him, though we go to different churches; I'm a Catholic.

Posted by: leticia77 | December 19, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit, I like Mike Huckabee, though he and I would not agree on much. I am not even absolutely sure why, except that he has a certain delivery, and for what I've seen in debates, he doesn't dodge questions or sound as phony as the others.

However, for those of you ready to marry him, keep in mind that it is probably not a good idea to mix religion and politics -- it can lead to radical beliefs that get skewed waaaaay out there. (think of the other extreme side of the scale - radical muslims who want to chop our heads off).

For instance, I know the person who posted the whole thing about 'gifting' meant that sincerely because that's what this person was taught. But as it was pointed out, the religious practices are so mixed up with pagan ritual, festivals, beliefs that it is impossible to get at the 'pure truth' of any of it --- Jesus was not born on Christmas Day? (I can hear it reverberating in the hallways now).

This is all the more reason to keep religious belief systems in the churches, temples and synagogues, and the politics focused on issues that affect everyone, not just those who prescribe to a certain belief system (or don't).

Back to Mike, I know he is religious and reveres Christmas (for that matter, that's how I was raised also), but isn't it simply respectful to ALL to acknowledge that others (such as Jews) do not celebrate Christmas by saying 'Season's Greetings' or the like? I know there's a backlash against PC, and it can go too far ... but how can a man be taken as presidential material (and represent all) if he shows such a narrow view?

Sorry for my long rant, must be the coffee...

Posted by: shprof | December 19, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Saturnalia is the feast at which the Romans commemorated the dedication of the temple of the god Saturn, which took place on 17 December. Over the years, it expanded to a whole week, up to 23 December, so remember, each time you give a gift to someone else, you are mimicking the Romans who gave gifts to each other at Saturnalia.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

Whether Christians picked the 25th from the festival of Sol Invictus or from Jewish numerology, it was Saturnalia that established the late December tradition of gifts. From the Epic of Gilgamesh to the pagan site of Notre Dame du Paris, Christianity has assimilated other cultural elements from Genesis onward.

Posted by: smchris | December 19, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I remember Bush's "halo"..such a big deal (any body still believe Bush wears a "halo"?)...religious nuts see the face of Christ on grilled cheese sandwiches, rocks, even dog turds...what a bunch of kooks

Posted by: susannelsen | December 19, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, have a magnificent Christmas, and don't forget to buy lots of stuff at the mall!

Wow! There really is a war on the true meaning of Christmas!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Posted by: kevinschmidt | December 19, 2007 4:01 AM | Report abuse

Blinking Mike.... what is new? His family life is a hoax... his son is an animal abuser and torturer, killer. What other "qualities" are required to become president?
He has all of them!

Posted by: fritzikatzi | December 18, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

There's subliminal reinforcement here too...
Watch from the left side of the video, as a white cross comes into view.

Posted by: mojo | December 18, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Do you agree with Ron Paul's characterization of Mike Huckabee, 'when fascism comes to this country, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross'?

Posted by: PollM | December 18, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

He blinked 38 times in 30 seconds. He can't look straight to you even when it's a camera, and he has multiple takes available. He is not to be trusted, as his record while governor confirms.

Posted by: Hutchbilly | December 18, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee is showing what a great leader he would be: a president who comforts and is mature.

I like the ad, although it does exploit Christmas, and Jesus.

Posted by: river845 | December 18, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Great TV ad Mike!

This man is a great role model for society. Someone who tries to bring people up, someone who keeps his focus on uniting people instead of dividing people.

Our children and young people have Mike as a role model to look up to. It is so refreshing to see someone who is kind and caring like Mike Huckabee.

Mitt Romney on the other hand is wasting millions of dollars of his base's hard earned money spewing out negative TV ads, especially during this Christmas season. His poll numbers are sinking and he is acting like a spoiled child. Throwing stones at the other kids because he is losing. If Mitt Romney can't take the pressure now, how in the world can he take the pressure of leading this country?

Mike Huckabee on the other hand is very calm, caring, humble and trustworthy person. He is down to earth, and easily connects with all different types of people. That's why his poll numbers are skyrocketing. He is riding in his HUCKABUS at HUCKABOOM speed, and just this week has cranked up the speed to HUCKABAMBOOM speed. Let's jump on the HUCKABUS and get America back in the running!

Posted by: vote4mikehuckabee | December 18, 2007 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Christmas it the birth of Mithra, Osiris, Dionysus, Attis, Nimrod and a few others. I'll be sure to follow the Three Kings (of Orions belt) to Sirius.. that will lead me to the birth of the Sun during the winter solstice. Someday the sheep will wake up and realize their Shepard was nothing more than prison warden. Sorry, my vote is too important to blow on a Baptist preacher who still thinks the earth is 6000 years old and still worships the Sun.

Posted by: guitar_65 | December 17, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone interested in what Huckabee is really like face to face should try this funny (but it actually happened) column:

Posted by: lanefiller | December 17, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

In regards to the comment above about Governor Huckabee blinking:
Have you ever been on a TV set where the lights are really bright and shining right on you? Some people, myself included are sensitive to bright lights which can cause a person to blink a lot.This has nothing to do with a persons trustworthiness and to even suggest that is downright ignorant. Also I believe that Governor Huckabee also wears contact lenses and that can really compound problems with sensitive eyes which would cause even more of a blinking problem....

Posted by: Barry2 | December 17, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

christmas is the celebration of the bith of jesus christ and if anyone do not want to celebrate it then don't but remember, each time you give a gift to someone else, you are mimicking the 3 wise men that gave gifts to jesus at his birth and most importantly, you are mimicking the giving factor that God gave his only begotten son to the world. So whether you formally cceleb rate or deny it, each gift given is a reflection of God Giving Christ to the earth as a gift.

I am so proud of Huckabee i do not know what to do. He is a man of principle and he surely just sealed the deal with my vote. He will win and big he will, and while the pundits try to demise him, or his other political rivals try to make him look bad. They may want to look at the mirror at themselves. You got flip flopping mitt, dead fred, pimped out guiliani and no brain mccain. Huckabee is the dure winner and will win big. I can not wait for romney to get out of the race. i bet he will go back to hiring illegals to work in his yard. check more out about him at www.massresistance.org he is the biggest flake since kellogs!

Posted by: in-God-I-Trust | December 17, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Mike didn't send me a Chanukah greeting.

Posted by: wapo12345 | December 17, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

You know what I think is the creepiest thing about this video? You can tell Mr. Huckabee isn't being sincere by his mannerisms- he blinks over forty times in forty seconds.

The commercial comes off as insincere . . . Like he's trying to use his faith as some type of mechanism to up his image. It's kinda gross . . . Personal observation there though, I guess I could be wrong. :/

Posted by: forty-seven.eleven | December 17, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse