Clinton Hosts Chicago Fundraiser

By Anne E. Kornblut
DES MOINES -- Is Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton trying to make a statement in Sen. Barack Obama's backyard?

Tonight, she is flying to Chicago (in other words, leaving Iowa, no small matter at this point in the race) to raise $900,000 from 1200 people, her advisers said. They made sure to describe it as a "low-dollar" event -- code for "being attended by young people," generally Obama's constituency.

Clinton and Obama spent the day busily trying to out-surrogate one another in Iowa -- she by bringing in her husband and Magic Johnson to campaign, he by introducing to Iowa voters to former Clinton national security advisers who have jumped to support him. Up next: both campaigns hop to New Hampshire later in the week.

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 18, 2007; 7:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Actors and Soldiers
Next: The New New Hampshire Voter

Comments

Where did Anne E. Kornblut claim Hillary had no right to travel to Chicago? Despite being born there, and raised in a suburb, isn't she the Senator from NEW YORK? Obama is, in fact, the Senator from Illinois. I think that alone makes it his current "backyard".

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I have been very confused about Anne Kornblut for several months now. He I am in the mental health profession and maybe this latest article finally made me see how politcally basis Anne really is about Senator Hillary Clinton. Senator Clinton has every right to be in Chicago. It almost appears to me that Anne had some training about freedom from The Bush/Cheney School. Anne you have every right to express your views as an American but shame on the W.Post not to see how basis you demonstrate to many of us. Dr.George J. Corella

Posted by: drgcorellaindependent | December 19, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe that Anne Kornblut is not smart so I assume its a bias or blind spot.

Clearly the key to this posting is that Obama, who claims he is the change agent in this race, is now trying to convince people that he is relying on the national security advisors that Clinton used. Where is this change coming from then?

Obama has now experience in foreign affairs and not much experience in any other area. Well as a voter I would rather have Bill Clinton as the advisor to the President than some of his disaffected advisors.

There is no change with Obama that you won't also get with Hillary and she comes with experience.

I would urge the biased Post reporters to at least get to what's important in a story.

Posted by: peterdc | December 19, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Just doing the math, $900,000 divided between 1,200 people comes out to $750 a person. That seems a little too much per head for an event "being attended by young people."

This is not an attack on Ms. Kornblut, but a challenge to the official billing of the event.

Posted by: nospam3 | December 19, 2007 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Could you please let reporters alone? there is nothing wrong in this paper.

Posted by: christophefiero | December 18, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Spot on zukermand. Anne is a childish, immature reporter, who seems to have everything negative to say about Senator Clinton. I suppose it goes hand in hand with the old adage about women and fits into the media preference for Obama. As for vwcat, I would remind that infant that Hillary was born in Illinois and the US constitution does guarantee the freedom to move from one city to another.

Posted by: Carlyle_R | December 18, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

120 people. Sounds about right. Illinois is not just Obama's backyard but, we are very loyal to him.
She keeps trying to get us to go with her but, Illinois is Obamacountry and Chicago is Obamatown.
I just wish she would not come to my state at all.

Posted by: vwcat | December 18, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"Is Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton trying to make a statement in Sen. Barack Obama's backyard?"

Is Anne Kornblut really 12 years old?
She sure sounds like it.

Posted by: zukermand | December 18, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse