New Spot: Romney "Helped Save My Daughter"

By Michael D. Shear
Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney will today begin airing a new ad in New Hampshire that will take the place of his attacks against rival Mike Huckabee as voters celebrate Christmas next week.

The ad tells the story of the daughter of Romney's business partner, who disappeared for three days in New York City in 1996.

"My business partner stepped forward to take charge. He closed the company and brought almost all our employees to New York," Robert Gay says in the ad. "He set up a command center and searched through the
night. The man who helped save my daughter was Mitt Romney."

Aides to Romney said the ad will fully take over the New Hampshire airwaves by Saturday, by which point the current ad, which attacks Huckabee for granting 1,033 paroles and pardons, will take a hiatus.

"By Saturday, the negative ad will rotate out," said Stuart Stevens, one of Romney's media advisers.

Stevens said the new ad is a positive message that should work well during the holiday season, an issue that is forcing all of the campaigns to modify their messages in the last two weeks of the campaign.

"Every instinct is the same. To do something moving. No one wants to be out of sync with the season," Stevens said. "We always had a story we wanted to tell. It was a question of when to tell it."

Gay's daughter, Melissa, disappeared after attending a party. News reports at the time said Romney temporarily shut down Bain Capital, the firm he founded, and moved most of the employees to New York for several days to help search for the teenage girl.

She was found alive after Romney helped generate publicity surrounding the disappearance.

In the ad, Gay says, "Mitt's done a lot of things that people say are nearly impossible. But for me, the most important thing he's ever done is to help save my daughter."

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 19, 2007; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  A_Blog , Ad Watch , Mike Huckabee , Mitt Romney
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Still Undecided in Iowa's Three-Way Race
Next: All Calm in Romney Land

Comments

carlloeber:

First of all, I don't "worry" about anything. Second, thanks for the names -- I recognize 2 out of the 3 -- are those endorsements that Romney has received?

Posted by: JakeD | December 27, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

B202 says the add captures Romney's slick salesmanship and self righteousness. In fact, the ad captures Romney's character--he relishes the chance to rescue. Some people actually do the hard stuff, they are heros to those who will accept the rescue. A few years ago at a lake a man's boat treacherously took on water and sank while onlookers watched from the beach. Romney and one of his son's jumped in, swam over them and helped out. B202 you would have sat and watched a co-worker daughter stay lost. You would have waited for someone else to help the boaters. That is the difference between you and Romney. May God help America that this guy get elected.

Posted by: DanLounsbury | December 20, 2007 3:46 AM | Report abuse

Romney Judges .. (for JakeD.)

Jake .. no worry .. just leave it to the experts .. I will name three ..

Jay Sekulow ..

James Bopp .. former top lawyer for National Right to Life organization

Robert Bork ..

Posted by: carlloeber | December 19, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

How many CEO's, business owners or bosses in the world do you know who would shut down the company and take the employees off to look for a co-workers lost child. This add simply speaks to Mitt's character. He is a christian at heart.

JakeD: You don't have to doubt Mitt's pro-life stance. Look how he voted as Governor. Mitt has always been pro-life. He didn't leave the state he lived in to run for office, like Mrs. Clinton, he ran in the most liberal state in the Union. He had to tell voters that he wouldn't work to change the laws regarding a women's right under roe v. wade to kill their child.

Mitt will make us proud to be Americans and proud he is our President.

I will be voting for Mitt in 2008

Posted by: dkajkr | December 19, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

KATIE COURIC: Harry Truman said, quote, "A man not honorable in his marital relations is not usually honorable in any other." Many people say they don't feel comfortable supporting someone who's not remained faithful to their spouse. Why should they?

GOV. MITT ROMNEY: Well, I'm certainly faithful to my spouse, my spouse. Ann and I fell in love in high school. We-- really our lives revolve around each other. I'd rather be with Ann than any other person in the world. And-- if I have any extra time, I wanna share it with Ann. That's just the nature of-- of our relationship. I know other people who've had other circumstances. If-- if a marriage doesn't work, if people really can't get along, if they end up really disliking each other, then I guess it's appropriate to go find a new relationship or move away from marriage. But I'd do that. I would recommend people doing that in an honorable way. And-- and there are ways of doing that that are appropriate and ways that are not.

KATIE COURIC: Well, what do you think of people who base their judgment at least partially on a candidate's ability to remain faithful to his or her spouse?

GOV. MITT ROMNEY: You know, I let people look at me any way they want to. I'm not gonna give advice to the American people in which aspects of a person's life they look at. After all, the president of the United States is gonna be under a microscope. He will be. The first lady will be. The whole family will be. Every mistake will be open to the world. In some respects, you respect the nation.

In some respects you represent an example to the children of America. So we're gonna get looked at in all sorts of ways. And I'm not gonna try and counsel the American people as to what to look at. I know they look at my faith, for instance. And I'm happy to have them do so. Some are critical. Some are positive. It's just part of the package. And-- take me as the-- the whole character that I am.

KATIE COURIC: Do you think that people shouldn't vote for candidates if they are-- commit adultery, for example?

GOV. MITT ROMNEY: I-- I think people should be able to do what they want to do. And-- and-- express their own views when they get into the-- the voting booth. I'm not gonna tell them how to-- to-- to do that. And I know that people will, again, take their own counsel.

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

yasser15: are you pro-choice or pro-life?

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Romney is a proven leader. Everything he does, he does well. America needs a man like Mitt.

He has my vote and my support. I heard of this story before and it shows the type of man he is.

Posted by: yasser15 | December 19, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

acav2333: I can't speak for B2O2, but my biggest concern voting for Romney is whether he will nominate Roberts/Alito-type judges -- while I hope his recent switch to the pro-life side is sincere, you have to admit there are a few life long, pro-life candidates who would be better votes in that regard -- would you care to address that concern?

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

TEST

Posted by: JakeD | December 19, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

B202, tell me who you think would be better than Mitt Romney as president and why, and I'll give you more reasons why your wrong.

Posted by: acav2333 | December 19, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

This ad underscores the image I've long had of Mitt Romney. A slick, manipulative self-promoter who is furthermore wholly enraptured with his own righteousness. So I think it's a successful ad in that it captures the real candidate for voters to see.

Posted by: B2O2 | December 19, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Clearly Mitt's the best candidate in 2008, period. That is, Republican, Democrat or other. The importance of the 2008 primary is far greater than the general election for one reason: the republicans cannot lose the ensuing general election.

Hillary or Obama will get trounced by either Rudy or Romney. And if you're a democrat, this isn't a bad thing at all. The inevitable Democrat Defeat in 2008 will do two things for that Party: 1)end the era of Clinton ownership, 2)Obama will rise despite his defeat. Now I think it's best Obama suffers defeat in the primary so that it's clear as day that Hillary gets rejected in the general election, for sure stomping out her viability in 2012. This way, all eyes will be on Obama for four years to see if he'll actually do anything in the Senate on which to base the value of his natural leadership position of the Party based on his runner-up primary status to Hillary.

It matters who the Republicans defeat them with. If Rudy gets the nod, then I think we're going to be pretty much how we have been for the past 16 years. Slim majority elections, handful of percentage point victories determining the President. Rudy comes off as even more stubborn and warlike than Bush, though I can tell his liberal social positions he hopes will get him some free passes from the press and cooperation from democrat miscreants.

Romney, like Obama but moreso, is a true reformist. That is, they both are operating from the position of improvement, not power, as Hillary and Rudy crave. While Rudy would likely not garner a big victory and unite people, Romney will certainly landslide in 2012 should he win in 2008, which will likely be pretty close as we've seen in the past 4 cycles.

Mitt's a winner. He's had great success in every aspect of his career and public service record. His is a history of encouraging dissent, then building consensus. This is crucial given it's a skill we need our President to be an expert with since we're at a point where much repair is needed, as bigger problems loom. Romney's entire career was about turning around troubled companies. Saving the scandal-ridden Olympic Games was the next level of applying his expertise, and it paid off hugely. AS Governor of Mass., he turned around a state crippled by a $3Billion dollar defiicit while balancing the budget, not raising taxes, on top of implementing a statewide universal healthcare program. The bottom line is that there are obscene redundancies and waste in our federal government that has, is, and will continue to waste our tax dollars. Rudy, Hillary....each of those is more of the same. Romney, Obama...different types of cats. One his a media darling that is unproven, the other is the definition of accomplishment. This is why Romney can't lose in 2008.

Rudy's been dropping steadily since polling began. McCain's steady decline turned to a freefall plummet some months ago when he unpatriotically advocated amnesty for illegal immigrants. Fred Thompson finally put his water test kit away and got in and the waters chilled to his lack of substance as we all were left wondering how many naps a day he'd take in that White House. Now there's this Huckabee guy who looks and sounds as if he feel out of a Winnie the Poo cartoon celluloid. And he's a smarmy, smug little backwoods "christian" so I'm better than you type of panderer. While I'm sure there are "christian" types out there who like his brand of christiandom, I'm more certain that Huckabee's Huckaboom is more of a fad than Fred Thompson's 15-minute's of fame was. Huck's record sucks. He's the opposite of conservative: raised taxes on Aransas more than Bill Clinton! Issued pardons and commutations to 1033 convicts, including 12 murderers! One of whom went off and raped and killed a 15 year old girl after Huck set him free! Gave tuition breaks to illegal aliens so they could attend college cheaper than american citizens can! And is generally pro-amnesty by the way Iowa. And now we have Huckabee covering up his son's record of animal abuse, including an incident when he was a 17 year old summer camp COUNSELOR (jesus) packing a Glock pistol, where he came across a dog and hanged him from a tree, an act Michael Vick surely would admire.

Huckabee's got about 8, 9 more days until his little world collapses, and then he'll be shuffled off to the crazy pin to hang out with Howard Dean and Ron Paul.

Posted by: ibrock | December 19, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Good ad.

Posted by: zukermand | December 19, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

For those who missed my post yesterday, I'm trying to decide between two candidates: Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee. It's really tough to decide. Both candidates have comparable educational backgrounds that qualify them to lead the United States (Huckabee's 2.5-year bachelor degree in religion from Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia is roughly equivalent to Romney's cum laude law degree and Baker scholar MBA degree from Harvard, right?). Both candidates served as governors of states that face equally complex problems (Arkansas, with its population of 2.8 million and gross state product of $87 billion, is pretty much the same as Massachusetts, with its population of 6.4 million and gross state product of $318 billion, right?). Both candidates have pre-political experience that qualify them to be President (Huckabee was a pastor of several Southern Baptist churches in Arkadelphia, Texarkana, and Pine Bluff, Arkansas and served as president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention; no doubt equal to Romney's founding and taking of Bain Capital from a $37M fund to a $50B fund in 20 years and rescuing the 2002 Olympics). And both have wives and children that would make a great First Family (compare Huckabee family photo at http://rubechat.kfan.com/forums/thread/2297213.aspx with Romney family photo at http://blog.electromneyin2008.com/about-mitt-romney/ ). So you can see why I am having such a difficult time making up my mind . . .

Posted by: Matt_Damon | December 19, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I do believe he is a good man with his values in the right place. I hope he can save the lives of thousands of Iraqi and Afganistan children with political solutions that will remove the will to fight from both sides...

Posted by: a44wilson | December 19, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse