Romney Hits a Rough Patch on the Slopes

Massachusetts skiers harbor doubts about Romney's visit to a N.H. mountain. (AP).

By Alec MacGillis
HENNIKER, N.H. -- Mitt Romney was probably looking to recapture some of that Salt Lake City magic when he showed up at Pat's Peak here today to greet skiers taking the slopes on the day after Christmas. The visit allowed to him pose for the cameras with a snowy backdrop behind him, summoning memories of his resurrection of the 2002 Winter Olympics.

But it also posed some peril for him, to an extent he and his campaign may not have fully reckoned beforehand: Pat's Peak is frequented not only by New Hampshire voters but also by throngs of skiers from the Boston area, for whom it is one of the most convenient winter destinations.

Mingling with Massachusetts folks is a bit complicated for Romney these days. He left the State House early this year on uncertain terms, with many of the state's residents feeling aggrieved by the way he turned his focus to a presidential run during the second half of his term.

That feeling has only grown stronger since he hit the campaign trail and began casting Massachusetts as a left-wing bastion that he had to try to bring under control -- "the most liberal state in the country," as he called it in one of his television advertisements.

The many Massachusetts residents Romney shook hands with at the ski slope were as gracious as anyone will be with a dozen cameras recording the moment. But afterwards, some of them were open about their deep ambivalence about seeing their former governor out stumping for the presidency.

Derek Rhodes, an information technology director from North Andover, Mass., said he had noticed how much Romney's positions had shifted rightward since he started running for president, something Rhodes, a Democrat, chalked up to expedience: "He feels he can get voters from the Republican Party that way."

But Rhodes said what he was most bothered by was the criticism of Massachusetts. He noted that Romney's predecessors as governor had been Republicans and that they had left the state in better shape than Romney admits.
"I don't like to hear him say that. He doesn't need to bash Massachusetts," Rhodes said.

Such is Romney's relentless good cheer that he did not let the Massachusetts vibe deter him in the slightest. He moved from table to table in the lodge keeping up the same chatter: "How are the slopes today?"" "I love skiing this slope." "How's the hot chocolate." And, to a wary looking teenager: "You a skier? You must be a boarder."

By Web Politics Editor  |  December 26, 2007; 7:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Giuliani Seeks Out a Warmer Welcome
Next: Courting the Michael Moore Vote in N.H.

Comments

Someone should start a blog titled "Flip-floppers for Romney". He ran as a moderate Republican in Mass. but turned out to be more like a Mormon version of George W. Bush. It became obvious that he changed his political positions, sometimes dramatically, whenever it was politically convenient. Recently Romney even defended Bush's foreign policy after Mike Huckabee offered a mild critique.

Posted by: chrisbak52 | December 27, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Romney once said: My father marched with Martin Luther King--not true.
He marched with Martin Luther King--not true.
He was a hunter all his life--not true.

I am now beginning to wonder whether or not he can break the chain by actually having had some experience skiing. But it is still a good bet that he may not have skiing experience anywhere previously,

Posted by: archie136 | December 27, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

SteelWheel1:

I'll let scotay252 address the rest of your "responses" but the link to Mitt Romney shutting down Bain Co. to find an employee's missing daughter was posted right here, just last week, on this very blog: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/12/19/new_spot_romney_helped_save_my_1.html

Posted by: JakeD | December 27, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

lylepink,
well put!

Posted by: SteelWheel1 | December 27, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

scotay252,
Below is my response to your post point by point

Your Point #1
I found a man who has pledged to forego his salary as President of the United States and who refused the same as Mass. Governor. Imagine, the president as a true public servant..I find it supremely refreshing.

My response #1
I'm not impress! The salary of a U.S. President is chump change for a guy whose net worth is nearly $300 million.

Your Point #2
I found a man who recently spent a free Saturday morning in October helping San Diego fire victims, without so much as a word to the press? Chopping down trees and cleaning up the neighbor property. That sure makes him hard to trust.

My Response #2
--You will have to prove this one. Mitt panders and flip-flop way to hard just to get some attention. And you want me to believe that Mitt has done such an altruistic thing without extracting every last ounce of photo opportunity.

Your Point #3
I find a man who once shut down his private business, and paid his staff to search for the missing daughter of one of his employees? No questions or expectations, just lets go find her! No one was watching and no one was listening. What does this say about the man?

My response #3
---Again, you will have to prove this one.

Your Point #4
I found a man who has been loyal, faithful and true to his one wife and love for 38 years. Do we not realize what this says about a persons character, to have been so devoted and perfectly faithful in this most sacred of all relationships. And yet, some say he cant be trusted!

My Response #4
---I agree with you on this one.

Your Point #5
Finally, I find a candidate who routinely turns organizations fiscal mismanagement into economic victory for the company and its employees and interests. And far more importantly, there is no one suggesting that he ever broke any laws or violated ethics in doing so! No Blackwater, no Whitewater, no Halliburton.

My response #5
---I agree with you here.

My conclusion
The negatives far out weigh the good. Thumb down on Mitt for me.

Posted by: SteelWheel1 | December 27, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

manwaringjd,
I agree with you. Mitt did serve Massachusetts and for the most part he did keep his campaign promises as governor of Massachusetts. But was it necessary to besmirch and malign Massachusetts just to pander to far right?

And what does this say about his character? What will he be willing to dump to establish his legacy? I simply don't trust him. Many Americans are all to familiar with this kind of person.

Posted by: SteelWheel1 | December 27, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

martinharry: Mass. is probably the most "Liberal" state of all, is not disputed by most folks. The problem Mitt has is the "Flip-Flop" image that has shown to be accurate. I don't think Religion is that much of a "Factor" other than for the "Evangelicals" that is so important to the GOP. I have been trying to analyze the "Factors" for the GOP, and find Mike Huckabee fits more closely than any other viable candidate now running. NH is the state to watch, an anything but a McCain win there almost certainly means he will drop out and lend his support to Mike.

Posted by: lylepink | December 27, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Romney will make us proud he is our President and proud to be Americans.

Mitt 2008

Posted by: dkajkr | December 27, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Massachusetts is a State full of liberals who have elected and re-elected Ted Kennedy, one of the most liberal politicians, repeatedly. Romney has honestly characterized the State. It is unfortunate that some people condemn a man for his public service, saying what he believes and practicing his faith. These attacks lack substance and reflect more the vacuousness of the person making the attack. Perhaps next to the standards Romney has maintained, they find themselves woefully wanting.

Posted by: martinharry | December 27, 2007 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Mr. "Double Guantanamo". Watching him try to out-jingo Giuliani was a sickening sight.

Posted by: rlb1 | December 27, 2007 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Let's talk about principles.....married to the same wife (and obviously in love) and a father who is adored by his 5 sons....anti-abortion....a true Christian (no matter what the Evangelicals want you to believe)...an honorable, hard-working student (with a law and business degree simultaneously achieved at Harvard)....a successful business executive and rescuer of the winter olympics.....and someone who can work with others on the Dem side of the aisle. Mitt Romney is such the obvious choice!!!

Posted by: wendim1 | December 27, 2007 4:10 AM | Report abuse

Mitt never had any principals. He's the ultimate opportunist who will say anything to get elected. In the '90's, Mitt tried to be more liberal than Ted Kennedy. In this decade, he's trying to be more conservative and god-fearing than Mike Huckabee.
I doubt if anyone truly knows who Mitt Romney is, since the sincere, honest and real Mitt has never existed.

Posted by: jim | December 27, 2007 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Mitt, it appears, was once someone with principles.

Then he decided to run for president.

Posted by: reporter1 | December 27, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

So he's a hired gun, willing to work for the "most liberal state in America". A successful businessman and anon-drinking, non-smoking, faithful to his wife kind of guy, huh? OK, so? So are a lot of guys. That doesn't make them fit to be President. He's a man of faith? Well so is "Jesus is my favorite philosopher" Bush and you can see where that kind of mindless, anti-science moralizing gets you when you're in the White House. He has publicly stated that he's OK with torturing people who haven't been given even the semblance of legal treatment if there's a chance that they may have information he wants. He doesn't believe that agnostics and atheists have any right to freedom. He will say whatever he needs to say to close the deal. He's a two-faced phony and he'll never be the POTUS.

Posted by: thebobbob | December 27, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I have read much diatribe about Mitt Romneys seemingly unquenchable double speak, and that somehow this habit of his makes it impossible for us trust him. Of course, most of what political types say has never been trustworthy, regardless of what side of the aisle one sits upon.

It is behavior, far more than word, that tells me what is really in the heart of person.Show me the money. Talk is cheap! With a search for behaviors in mind, this is what I found when I went looking for Mitt Romneys actions, more than words

So, I am left to conclude, given that I can trust no ones words, that it is only actions I can measure, and behaviors I can assess. From this standpoint, my choice for president is so easy and Mitt is that man!"

Posted by: scotay252 | December 27, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

What a slimy little flip-flopper... And in NH a week before Iowa? Not good.

Posted by: parkerfl | December 26, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I think it very natural that Romney's position would start to reflect the broader electorate he would be serving as President of the United States. He served liberal Massachuetts the way he promised and that would serve them best. He was their Governor, but he is not running for Governor anymore and his responsibility will be to a much larger community. It is silly to think that the President of the United States should limit himself to the desires of one state. He was fair to Massachuetts and he needs to be fair now to the United States of America. I think he kept his campaign promises to Massachuetts. He may not have agreed with the liberal majority, but he respected the voted in laws of that State.

Posted by: manwaringjd | December 26, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Well is Massachuetts or isn't Massachuetts one of the most LIBERAL states in the nation. I believe that it probably is. What Romeny said is factual

Posted by: manwaringjd | December 26, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Sort of adds a new meaning to the phrase "Media Mogals"!

Ice cold bumps on the Path!

Posted by: rat-the | December 26, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse