The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Ad Watch

Giuliani vs. the Talking Heads

By Howard Kurtz
The Ad: With pundits and politicos handicapping the campaign like the Super Bowl, it's easy to lose sight of what's at stake. An economy in peril. A country at war. A future uncertain. The media loves process. Talking heads love chatter. But Florida has a chance to turn down the noise. And show the world that leadership is what really matters.

Analysis: Here's a novel tack: Rudy Giuliani is running against Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, Bill O'Reilly, George Stephanopoulos, Alan Colmes, Dana Milbank, Juan Williams and Dick Morris. The former New York mayor is trying to tap into criticism that the media, and especially cable shows, trivialize campaigns and contrast that approach with serious images of the Iraq war and rising gas prices.

The unspoken subtext is that the media have denigrated Giuliani's strategy of trying to survive a string of early losses while husbanding his time and resources for Florida's Jan. 29 primary. There may also be a touch of payback for the press criticism about his mayoral tenure and messy personal life. The Florida ad is a veiled appeal to the state's voters not to be swayed by journalistic prognostications about his chances.

Candidates often urge voters to ignore pessimistic reports about their campaigns -- John McCain took a swipe at "the pundits" after winning New Hampshire -- and the tactic may resonate among Republican voters who polls show distrust the media far more than Democrats. The risk for Giuliani is that viewers will find the ad amusing but not persuasive.

Posted at 12:36 PM ET on Jan 10, 2008  | Category:  Ad Watch
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Richardson to Leave, But Not Yet Endorse | Next: Once Again, It's The Economy

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Kase, you are an idiot! Bill Clinton had nothing to do with New York city then!

Rafael

P.S. Is incredible what hate can do to your brain!!!

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 11, 2008 12:35 PM

The New York Times reports this morning that about a dozen of Rudy's top campaign goons will pass on getting paid this month because the buffoon is running out of cash.
LOL LOL
(Maybe he should ask Bill Clinton for some money...seeing as how that was the ONLY way he was able to improve NYC in the 90's...)
Giuliani is SUCH a clown...

Posted by: kase | January 11, 2008 10:35 AM

Rudy G. is a joke and I do not bother reading about his exploits. He should go home and give up the ghost.

However, the best joke I have read today is that GWB said "I never make mistakes"

If he thinks he is going to resolve the problems in Isreal - good, but that is the biggest joke of all. Much smarter men in this world could not do it. The problem is century's old and too deep for this comedian. However, if it will keep him ,dumb,dumb out of the way for the balance of his term******Georgie boy "Go For It*****.

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | January 11, 2008 8:36 AM

JakeD I just don't think he is what the country needs right now!and I just don't think i could vote for him. :-)

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 7:03 PM

rat-the that is the perfect name for you rat! lol Huckabee no chance to win.

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 6:58 PM

These WaPo Writers lose all credibility, when they talk about Giuliani have even a Snowball's Chance in Hell, while calling Mitt Romney's Campaign Doomed!

If I was to just start claiming Osama bin Laden is going to win Arizona, would I be deemed WaPo Writer material?

Posted by: rat-the | January 10, 2008 6:48 PM

If all of us who do not think Huckabee can win, actually VOTED for him, he would win ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 10, 2008 6:01 PM

Well JakeD I only vote Republican or Independents and if Mike Huckabee is the final man standing well I would then vote for him but, I wont be happy about it. I don't think he can beat Obama nor Clintoon so I like to vote for a winner not who the evangelicals want me to vote for. GO RUDY

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 5:54 PM

At least we know that neither of us will vote for Hillary Clinton then -- I don't "hate" her as that is a very strong word -- either way, I would hope you will vote for WHOMEVER the Republicans nominate.

Posted by: JakeD | January 10, 2008 5:24 PM

The only thing that it is certain about Dick Morris is that he hates Mrs. Hillary Clintoon and so do I! I dont think he is for Giuliani but who knows.

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 5:09 PM

Yes JakeD I am from Puerto Rico so that makes me a born US citizen and since I am a resident in Virginia I am as legal to vote as you are.

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 5:03 PM

Where yooz been hiding, Howie? Dick Morris is supportive of Giuliani and O'Reilly seems to be in love with "Mistah Noo Yawk."

Posted by: filoporquequilo | January 10, 2008 5:01 PM

No apologies needed -- I was simply not understanding -- will you be legally qualified to vote here in the U.S. on November 4, 2008?

Posted by: JakeD | January 10, 2008 4:33 PM

Sorry JakeD my english is not that good because it is my second language I meant to say that MItt would be a good President I know he would but, What's going on? He is not coming trough. And in all honesty I think he would be a better President than Rudy but, he also can't win in a general election. Plus the changing mind all the time just makes me think that there is something in the Northeast that makes you a flip flopper you know Kerry? Go Rudy 2008

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 4:22 PM

Kerry said today at the South Carolina Obama Rally this today:

I VOTED FOR EDWARDS BEFORE I VOTED FOR OBAMA!!! and the crowd went crazy... lol

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 4:18 PM

IMO = In My Opinion.

"I don't doubt that Mitt wouldn't be a good president" = Double, or triple, negative?

Posted by: JakeD | January 10, 2008 4:17 PM

Knowing the down and dirty reputation Rudy has, I could care less about him. He should be back on the beat if NYC will even consider him.

What is most disturbing is John Kerry. Could it really be that he is backing B> OBAHMA because he is still mad at Edwards. That kind of school child mentalaty is disgusting! To know that a Senator would put his country in jeoprady to get back at what he considers an insult is plain downright stupid. He should be ashamed of himself.

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | January 10, 2008 4:14 PM

Morning Joe also is aterting to say that Giuliani Strategy might just work hum? Could that be cause the press lost credibility after the NH debacle in polls and reporting? Do not count Rudy out just yet!

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 3:59 PM

Jake D your comments are just your opinion. The truth is that running New York City is more difficult than being a governor of Arkansas. 1: New York City the worlds 17 largest economy. 2: About 8 to 10 million people if not more. 3: A major terrorist target. I can keep going more and more but, Arkansas One of the most poor states in the nation 36th or 35th, Population 3mill. Come on Rudy not only ran the city but, Was a prosecutor and a Regan partner and Ford as well as for Mitt I like Mitt very much and I want to trust him but, for some reason or another he just wont make it! I am sorry But Mike Huckabee is not better prepared than Rudy maybe Mitt is but Mike no way. As far as McCaine He is honest and a true patriot and a war hero and most important a Leader and to be president leadership is very crucial! I don't doubt that Mitt wouldn't be a good president but, He is not making it. Again Mike Huckabee cannot beat nither Clinton or Obama and if you belive that he can then vote for him and let Clintoon in the White House Sir...

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 3:56 PM

Posted by: brian.a.smith | January 10, 2008 3:40 PM

"Flowers" as in WITHDRAW FROM IRAQ?! You do remember that GWB was re-elected just over 3 years ago "during wartime" right?

Posted by: JakeD | January 10, 2008 3:24 PM

Giuliani just needs to accept that his campaign hasn't been burning down the house so far. No matter what he does, his profile in the race is the same as it ever was.

This is a once in a lifetime election, and with life during wartime being what it is, I think the American public wants nothing but flowers from the candidates.

Posted by: brian.a.smith | January 10, 2008 3:21 PM

You didn't answer my questions, irizarryrafael, but you are right on one point. There's no comparison between Huckabee and Giuliani / McCain -- a GOVERNOR runs an entire State, whereas a mayor runs just one city -- Senators have ZERO Executive experience and just get to spend other people's money. Keep in mind the person best qualified IMO is Mitt Romney -- Mike Huckabee is my current second pick.

Posted by: JakeD | January 10, 2008 3:03 PM

Maybe Rudy can team up with Ron Paul who has also been frozen out by the mainstream media

Posted by: jcooke | January 10, 2008 2:47 PM

I'm surprised that Il Duce would include O'Reilly in his ad. From what I've seen on Fox, including the Bill'O show last night, they are still trying to be Rudi's king maker. Any of Fox's viewers -- who seem the most likely to support this wannabe despot -- are going to be scratching their tiny little heads wondering what that's all about.

Posted by: celsaesser1 | January 10, 2008 2:43 PM

He was the Governor of Arkansas. Do not compare to McCaines record or Rudy's record.

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 2:13 PM

This guy Rudy is a clown, media should not waste time on him except if he can be of some entertainment value. The donors to Rudy are the real losers.

Posted by: ramu1 | January 10, 2008 1:59 PM

So, you think Mike Huckabee will not win the nomination because he was a minister? That alone DISQUALIFIES him? You do realize he was a Governor after that, right?

Posted by: JakeD | January 10, 2008 1:51 PM

I think is a little risky strategy. However in Rudy's advantage he has a very smart team with him and I know they know what they are doing. This is a different election and I think that is clear now to all of us. We will see but I would not pay attention to the press and how they say Rudy's strategy is not good, keep in mind they also said Obama was going to win in NH. The press has their own agenda for this country it is almost as if they were a third party. Rudy's staffers saw this coming that there was not going to be a real front runner till Feb. Mike Huckabee will not win the nomination remember that I said this. The one thing I know is that I will see what happens in Florida with Rudy Giuliani only because I know he is a leader and I would never count him out. Rudy wins in Florida and primaries extend to Virginia I will vote for him otherwise if McCaine is still in and Rudy is not then it will be him McCaine who I will support. Otherwise Please let it be Obama. I don't have an issue with Evangelicals but, they have to understand that the Republican party is not only theres and they or we have to come up to a happy medium but, Mike is funny and smart but, come on people a minister for President? that is too much! Again don't count Rudy out or you will be foolish just like the pundits looked in NH.

One more thing Gen. David Petreyaus for Prez in 2012 if Republicans loose the White House remember that.

Posted by: irizarryrafael | January 10, 2008 1:26 PM