A Quick Fundraising Spike Online

By Matthew Mosk and Jose Antonio Vargas
A source inside the Obama campaign says the candidate's web site has seen one of its best hours tonight, raising $525,000 in one hour. A senior aide inside the Obama campaign said the candidate's site saw its "highest peak" tonight in both online donations and traffic, "bigger than after Iowa, bigger than after New Hampshire."

The Obama campaign measures online donations every 15 minutes, and the source said that online money was pouring in at the rate of more than $500,000 per hour.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 26, 2008; 10:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bill Clinton Campaigns in Missouri
Next: For Bill Clinton, Echoes of Jackson in Obama Win

Comments

White Male mid 30's here. Read Both of Barack's Books before he entered the race - and I WAS SOLD along time back. There is so much for so many to IDENTIFY with in this man. At the Dem Convention speech, I knew I was witnessing something very special. I have been moved to tears multiple times as he has surpassed speech after speech, rising to new heights.

Never before have I been truly inspired by any candidate. It is wonderful to be proud to be an American, and I am glad to have been working to draft Obama for months before he announced. To all "Recovereing Hillary Supporters" - WELCOME. We are proud to have you in the tent. Proud to welcome you back to the Democratic Party, to an America that believes in itself. An American that can actually PASS UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE - because we build the coalition to make it happen.

Also found a fun site for those of you with online profiles:

www.obamatags.com

Can't wait for Feb 5th - to see what we all can do together. I'm volunteering for the first time ever in a campaign, and as many have said above, it is a thrill. OH-BA-MA!! also just for fun check out:

www.obamadog.com

I tried to register it today for our pooch (who is a Big Obama Fan) - only to find out that many smart pups & pooches are on the ObamaMania Ride and loving every minute of it!!!

Posted by: sloppyjoe25s | January 28, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Simply thrilling. Sure, the race isn't over, but look how far Obama has come.

Obama is more than smart enough. He has the support of his party, and will surely have an administration of the best and bright at every post. We don't need a president with experience. We need an honest president with hope and courage.

I'm a recovering Hillary supporter, and I'm proud to have been part of Obama's record setting day. If you haven't donated yet, now's the time! He needs all the support he can get for the race ahead.

Posted by: vegant1 | January 27, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

The naysayers who bring up experience --

ummmm, Bill Clinton only had state government experience before he became one of our generations most popular presidents...

Posted by: slydell | January 27, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Politicalpuck-

Please educate yourself regarding the "present" vote and how it is used in the Illinois General Assembly.

Do not be afraid to use your own voice and communicate your own opinions. But, please, for the betterment of this country, do not blindly echo the slanted political messages of a machine.

Posted by: buk.naykid | January 27, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

In my 72 years, I have not been as excited about an election as I am now. As the patriarch of a large and complex family that includes biracial and lesbian members, we reflect some of the diversity of our nation. The last few decades have been troubling and demoralizing as our country has become more and more fragmented, fearful, angry, and cynical. We have lost our bearings. Our national soul has been corrupted. My generation bears some responsibility for this state of affairs and Barack offers us the opportunity for some measure of redemption.
I celebrate the enthusiasm that my grandchildren's generation has for this campaign. They have the potential to break from the past and create a better future. Barack can lead the way.
Let there be hope.

Posted by: stoddard.george | January 27, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I am a mid 50's white female and I support Obama.

While BILL Clinton was good for the economy in the 90's - it was ugly to watch the behaviors of both Bill and Hillary after she lost Iowa. She acted desperate. It is all dirty politics and lies with BOTH Clintons - and it certainly reminded me that I am sick of that, and I am sick of their DRAMA.

Our country cannot move forward unless we unite and heal. To do that, we have to bring people of all stripes together. Hillary cannot do that - she is way too polarizing. The Republicans will love it if she gets the nomination - it will energize their party to get out and vote. Even if Bill were to immediately stop advocating on Hillary's behalf, which is unlikely, the Republicans will run a general election campaign that is directed at both Bill and Hillary and remind everyone how much baggage and drama the Clintons put the nation through. That can only hurt the Democrats.

In addition, I believe many of her positions are based not integrity or good judgment, but rather on what she and her pollsters think her position needs to be to win. She doesn't show leadership or good judgment - she triangulates. Enough already.

She could do more for the country and the Democrats by remaining a NY senator.

Posted by: cricket456 | January 27, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

As an academic, it is hard to understand anyone belittling Obama for lack of gravitas. The guy may have been a typical college student, but was at the top of his class at Harvard Law and was until recently still teaching a course on constitutional law at the University of Chicago, one of the top ten law schools in the U.S. The guy also has plenty of "practical" experience to draw on, complementing his Ivory Tower resume. Nonetheless, when he ended up with the nomination for the Senate in Illinois, most of us were concerned that he wouldn't have the political chops to operate at that level let alone overcome his obvious name problem.

Happily, Obama has proved to be a better politician than one could have hoped at every step. It is pretty rare to be that smart, that scholarly, and still be able to communicate with "real" people and deal with the challenges of campaigning. His time in the community, in the Illinois senate, and as a mentee of Dick Durbin have served him well. He has yet to do anything really stupid and continues to allow his opponents to blow themselves up.

Bottom line, Obama is likely the best mind in the Senate and one of the top progressive thinkers in Washington. He is also an inspiring leader, a pragmatic negotiator and an able statesman. Hard not to like this and look forward with optimism! If that makes his supporters wrong...

Posted by: skron | January 27, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Politicalpuck,

Spin away my friend. As a white, forty-five-year-old, female college graduate, I'm here to tell you that book learnin' and support for Obama are quite sympatico. In fact, quite the norm if you study the demographics of his support.

Posted by: TStew1 | January 27, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Barack Obama overcame the divisive campaigning by the Clintons an showed us that he is serious about changing the ways of Washington by running a dignified campaign.

He has the support of virtually every demographic, regardless of race, sex, or socioeconomic background and that support is only growing. His victory speech gave me chills last night. For the first time in my life Im feeling what my grandparents must have felt when they heard JFK speak.

Barack Obama is EVERY American. I am happy to donate because I believe in this man.

Posted by: bright_black2003 | January 27, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Politicalpuck,

Obama is has written two best sellers, one when he was 34 years old. Get used to it, change is coming, change we can believe in

Posted by: FebM | January 27, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I just sent in my $100 from Alabama. Hope you do too, gentle reader.

Posted by: rickyjames | January 27, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I was nine years old when Bobby Kennedy was murdered. I've been waiting for someone to pick up the torch for 39 1/2 years. I was starting to think that it would never happen.

Got hope?

Posted by: al75 | January 27, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

As a gay white male from Chicago, I am absolutely thrilled that Obama has blasted Hillary out of the sky. I proudly voted for Obama here in IL for senate, have proudly given $500 to his campaign (so far), and am absolutely thrilled that he has taken SC.

Sea change. Our JFK. A man for the 21st century. Inspiration incarnate. This is AMERICA!!! Not the Republican party. Not their legacy of corruption and failure. THIS IS IT. We found it. We want it. We crave it. This is NOT about race. It's about change.

You go homeboy!!!

Posted by: LeaderofMen | January 27, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Politicalpuck,

With all due respect, I'm apalled by the arrogance with which you chose to belittle and insult an entire generation of Americans - "a generation that spends more of its time twiddling video game controls than reading books"? Can you seriously be surprised that when faced with condescension such as this, young people prefer to vote for a candidate who shows them respect and demonstrates an interest in what they have to say?

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your disappointment at the South Carolina result has caused you to write without proper reflection. If, however, you seriously meant that the views of all young people should be immediately discounted, then I am at a loss to understand how you expect to move into the future without the support of those who will be living in it.

Posted by: Arne_Hofmann | January 27, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Kennedy Schlossberg's endorsement of Mr. Obama to be the next President has all the appearances of 2008 trendiness: supporting Obama because he's new, black and gives a decent, feel-good speech.

Obama resonates with a generation that spends more of its time twiddling video game controls than reading books or researching the history of current or future problems. History was one of John F. Kennedy's passions. Intellectual sharpness was the anchor of his character. Pragmatism was John Kennedy's political lifeline. Ms.Kennedy, the only candidate in the Democratic race that resembles your father's intellect or passion is Senator Hillary Clinton.

However, fair-minded readers do not expect Ms. Kennedy Schlossberg to understand the hardships women have endured over the last 100 years. Through no fault of your own you have had advantages that the average American women could only dream about. You probably have never experienced workplace discrimination or sexual harrassment. Your intelligence has probably never been discounted because you are female. Every door you wished to enter as woman has been held open for you. While your endorsement is eye-catching, its gravity is false because all other American women are not the daughter of a beloved President. You are a minority of one.

Mr. Obama says he has always been against the Iraq War, but a close review of his rhetoric and voting record suggests otherwise. His dozens of "present" votes in the Illinois senate indicate a lack of political courage. All of Mr. Obama's rhetorical skills are not going to be helpful when it comes to creating policy that will steer America to a better future. Senator Clinton is the real profile in courage in this election, and her intelligence and ability to craft cooperative legislation among all political parties is what America needs.

Posted by: Politicalpuck | January 27, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

There are so many reasons why I am VERY glad that Obama won significantly in South Carolina.

1. It represents our democracy at work. We the American PEOPLE can cast our vote to change the partisan politics that have infected our country for TOO long. Obama represents that change.

2. We can prove a media that is out of touch with our wishes wrong. We care about the ISSUES not sensationalism. When will journalism restore its honor to uphold the best interest of AMERICA?

3. The victory shows that AMERICA is greater as a WHOLE than divided into parts.
(see #1)

4. We want a FUTURE for our children and their children. We don't want to squander our opportunity to remove the 9 trillion dollar deficit the bush administration has created.

5. We will have a President with a "mind" who is willing to openly discuss issues and not implement a small groups will.

This is what Democracy is. As an American I am very glad to see it work. EVERY AMERICAN will need to VOTE to RESTORE our AMERICAN values.

GO BARACK! GO AMERICA!!

Posted by: KCross4440 | January 27, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

First, I confess my inherent bias: I've been an Obamaphile for a couple of years now. But I've never disliked Hillary -- or, for that matter, any of the other Democratic candidates.

Lately, though, I find myself really dreading the prospect of another Clinton candidacy. I still think she'd win, and turn out to be a decent president. But I'm finally starting to suffer Clinton fatigue. The tone of Hillary's SC campaign -- right up through the weird finale, with Bill and Hill each delivering separate, uninspiring and (in Bill's case) distinctly ungracious speeches -- reminded me of the toxic political climate of the 90s, which set us up for the horror show of George Bush.

I think it's time to move on. And I'm speaking as a 55-year-old white man who voted enthusiastically for Bill Clinton twice.

Posted by: kaspian.aaby | January 27, 2008 7:28 AM | Report abuse

As much as the media has pushed race and gender, the real underlying factor in the Democratic primary may actually be generational. It is the past vs the future. The old guard trying to hold onto the power, while the young are saying, it's our turn. The future is now.

And when I see respected individuals such as Caroline Kennedy endorsing Senator Obama, I know that I'm on the right side of history.

Yes We Can!

Posted by: kaneblues | January 27, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

The damage Bush and the Republicans have done to the America of my grandchildren has driven me out of the Republican party. Cured me completely. We HAVE to change for the better for them to have a future.

Obama offers hope that it just might be possible.

Along comes South Carolina. The Bill Clinton show reminds me of all his worst traits, and absolutely convinces me that a victory for Hilary will be a return to the Clintons show, and four years of that after eight years of Bush is just frightening. So I sure hope that the country will nominate Barack Obama. After South Carolina, clearly it would be the Clintons, not just President Hillary -- because it will have me hoping that just somehow the Republicans (ugh) will give me a lesser-of-evils alternative that I can stomach.

In contrast, Obama's speech last night was truly special, someone voicing my hopes and our hopes. He does represent change, and going back to the Clintons (there is no longer any pretense that this is just about Hillary, standing on her own) simply does not.

Go Barack Obama! For America!

Posted by: bill21 | January 27, 2008 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I gave $103.01 in honor of the elderly lady and her money order. Wish I could afford $1003.01!

Posted by: cjw | January 27, 2008 5:36 AM | Report abuse

Hilary has no judgment and like her husband is a fraud and pathological liar! Does anybody recall her 10,000% profit trading cattle futures from a mere $1000 investment? Even George Soros, the legenary hedge fund investor couldn't achieve that. Additionally, it's time to end the family duopoly of Bush-Clinton-Bush and usher in real change. Let's give either McCain or Obama a fair shot at the Presidency.

Posted by: potomoc | January 27, 2008 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: potomoc | January 27, 2008 5:05 AM | Report abuse

I am just going to go ahead and coin the term, 'Barackocrats'

Posted by: solvan | January 27, 2008 4:20 AM | Report abuse

I'd still prefer Edwards but if it's not going to be him then please let it be Obama.

And I can't help but enjoy the irony of having such a divisive war-monger as Bush be succeeded by a man with a Muslim name.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | January 27, 2008 4:04 AM | Report abuse

I LUV OBAMA AND I LUV AMERICA

Posted by: josewil2 | January 27, 2008 4:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm skeptical of feel good candidates. I seem to remember that the current President was the feel good candidate of his supporters. I think experience is better.

Posted by: russellellison | January 27, 2008 3:59 AM | Report abuse

OMG!! Hillary had no chance at winning, she was to busy playing the politics of the past. I'm so proud of my generation for getting out the vote, and united under one message. The victory is yours, YES WE CAN!!

Posted by: mllorens85 | January 27, 2008 3:36 AM | Report abuse

I supported HRClinton all year in 07 but no more. I, along with many Democratic friends and colleagues, have become truly inspired by Obama and disgusted by the Clinton Dr. Phil circus. she is now seen by many of us as a a damaged candidate who is groveling. And one that will not win in November.
The worst thing about all of this is that the Clintons KNEW they could play the race card as they had such good will among the Af-Am community. They knew they could push the envelope so far while the GOP could not. Pathetic. And they abused and used that support purely for their own gain at the expense (again) of the Af-Am community. Short term gain I might add.
To watch Bill Clinton pathetically use his extensive influence to try to divide the democratic party along race and not based on ability or strength but pure institutional old democratic semi racist machine politics is pathetic. And more importantly, it has rendered HRC basically unelectable as she is now a diminished candidate. Yes, she has her core supporters within the structure of the party and it may get her the nomination due in large part to her husband dragging her across the finish line. But it will likely cost the democrats the election in 08. No way she wins against McCain now.
Obama is the future of the Democratic party. Clinton is the past.

Posted by: awg1967 | January 27, 2008 2:17 AM | Report abuse

As an Anglo-American, I am soooooooooo proud to be not only and American, but a proud human!! Obviously Barack has not won anything yet, but just to see America vote with their brains, and heart instead of thinking that "a black man can't be president" is refreshing!
This would be a great victory for America on the world stage. It would totally defy the image that we have put out to the world, as a "White Man's America".
Having a women would be great too, but not Hillary. She is too much of the "status quo" that would continue to lead us in the same direction. And, not for nothing? First Lady Michelle? Priceless...

Posted by: alexiw4 | January 27, 2008 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Obama is the reason that I'm willing to get off the sofa and drive 15 miles to volunteer my time and cold call people and ask them to vote for him.
NOW THAT'S POWER!

Posted by: KennyShores | January 27, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

As an African AMERICAN, I am sooooo proud to be, not only an African American, but I am proud to be an AMERICAN!
Obviously Barack has not won anything yet, but just to see America vote with their brains, and heart instead of thinking that "a black man cant be president" is refreshing!
This would be a great victory for America on the world stage. It would totally defy the image that we have put out to the world, as a "White Mans America".

Posted by: tone1 | January 27, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Way to go everyone for supporting Obama! If you've never volunteered before, sign up online through his website -- it's been probably one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and there's so many people like myself who have never done anything like this before.

Stay positive and keep hoping. We're a part of history!

Posted by: Caliguy75 | January 27, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Obama's significant win was wonderful, but his victory speech was spectacular! Finally, an honest candidate who can speak like a President. I was proud to be a part of that $525,000 in one hour.

Posted by: mightyyukon | January 27, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mightyyukon | January 27, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mightyyukon | January 27, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mightyyukon | January 27, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mightyyukon | January 27, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mightyyukon | January 27, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mightyyukon | January 27, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I just donated $55 to the campaign in honor of the 55% of SC primary voters who voted for Obama. Thank you, South Carolina!

It took a couple tries for my donation to go through because the system was so busy... the only time in my life that I've been okay with server issues. I'm just glad that there are so many other Obama supporters out there inspired by his message of unity and hope.

Posted by: swirlyturtle | January 27, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

O-BA-MA! I think I just hit my $2300 limit. Looking forward to giving another $2300 in the general. Go Democrats!

Posted by: GoHuskies2004 | January 27, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

The results in South Carolina graphically show the American people resent the negative campaigning by Bill and Hillary Clinton, particularly their resort to racial politics. Moreover, as a Democrat, I feel their divisive campaign will hurt the Democratic candidate --whoever it is-- in the election in
November.
That is why tonight I cast my absentee ballot for Obama. After
doing so, I was thrilled to see that Caroline Kennedy has
endorsed Obama
For those who truly see the Democratic party as the leader of a forward-looking country and the party that helps those most in need, Obama is the right choice.

Posted by: oppiedm | January 27, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for letting me know.

Posted by: Realitycheck6 | January 26, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse