A Woman President? Not for Clinton Hecklers.

Hillary Clinton was heckled in N.H. (Getty Images).

By Anne E. Kornblut
SALEM, N.H. -- In an unprecedented display on the campaign trail, two young men interrupted Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton here on Monday night, screaming: "Iron my shirt! Iron my shirt!"

Clinton seemed not to understand the chant at first, but when she finally heard it, replied: "Oh, the remnants of sexism, alive and well."

The two young men were quickly booed by the audience and escorted outside by the local police, and after repeatedly being asked, finally said they were protesting the notion of having a woman in the White House.

They declined to elaborate. One of the young men, who said he is a 21-year-old student, was told he looked too nice to have that sort of attitude toward women, and replied, "Looks can be deceiving."

Clinton carried on without a pause.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 7, 2008; 7:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Obama's Hope-ful Campaign
Next: Romney Draws a Blank on Violence Against Women Act

Comments

"Iron my shirt"? No, but if you vote for me I'll help you "get a job" or "get a life", two things you losers clearly need.

Posted by: tsillers | January 9, 2008 3:06 AM | Report abuse

I really believe in my heart Hilliary planted those protesters. Over 4000 websites and newspapers carried it.
It helped her get the women out to vote for her.Obama would have won if it was not for those two protesters. Strike a nerve,strike a vote.
You only can cry wolf so many times.

Posted by: damon | January 8, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I am a liberal Democrat. I started the campaign happy to support all of the Dem candidates. While I will still support whoever is nominated, I must say I am ashamed to be voting with the supporters of Sen Obama I read in these comments. They sound like Republicans.

Posted by: zukermand | January 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I applaude these two youngsters for getting interesed in politics at thier relativly young age. Refreshing if you ask me. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear a few beers, no beers or maybe chili persueded thier decision to do this.

Posted by: Trickydickster | January 8, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

It's a great nation we live in where individuals can stand up and prove what inbred backward fools they are for everyone.
Hurray for free speech.
--------------------------
Barack Obama for President of the UNITED States of America.

Posted by: PulSamsara | January 8, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

It's quite possible that the whole episode was planned by the Clinton campaign. One of the two men was found to have a Clinton for President" sticker on his carrying case. See the following article at http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2008/01/sexist-jamokes-disrupt-hillary.htm , in which it reports that, "Nick Gemelli, who is 21, and born at least a decade after "iron my shirts" was an anti-women's rights slogan, didn't have much of a rationale. "I just don't think a woman should be President," he said.

He couldn't really say why, but he agreed that he was a health care voter, as the sticker on his carrying case implied. The "Hillary for President" sticker was a bit more of a puzzle."

Posted by: palmeroth | January 8, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Was the meeting open to all comers, or by invitation?

And did any reporter bother to find out who planted the protesters?

For one doubts young men are aware that shirts have to be ironed...in other words, sounds like a plant from someone who grew up in the 1960's.

Posted by: tioedong | January 8, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Obviously plants from the Clinton camp. Probably two hungry college students who were promised a hundred bucks if they pulled it off. Were they escorted out by real law officers or Clinton Campaign rally "security guards?"

Posted by: Phil6 | January 7, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

It's too convenient...the staging too perfect. It's a sad commentary that I am so cynical as to suspect those lads for being plants from the Clinton camp. It was my immmediate reaction to the story. It smells of a desperate ploy.

Posted by: leeburt | January 7, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

He actually was a plant. A bit too outrageous for me, but anything goes in these desperate political times, and one can never be too calculating.

Posted by: elton1111 | January 7, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Was that "Iron my shirt", or "Iran mon cher"?

Posted by: dnnscox | January 7, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

If Hillary Clinton thought ironing shirts would get her elected as President, she would be promising to iron everyone's shirt on the first day of as President.

Posted by: bogus | January 7, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Very funny, antipATRICK (NOT!).

Posted by: JakeD | January 7, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"At least they weren't tased ; )"

If they did not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior then they deserved to be tased. Jesus himself was in favor of tasing. He loved seeing non-believers hurt in the most painful of ways. You don't believe it. Then look it up. In the book of Mormon. It's just one more reason that Mitt Romney is unfit to be President. HE'S MORE OF A FREAK THAN TOM CRUISE OR JOHN TRAVOLTA!!!!

Posted by: antipATRICK | January 7, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Uhh, this is a little something called FREE SPEECH. God bless these young gentlemen. They were upholding a little document called THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!! God bless them and God Bless their families and all God-fearing Americans. Particularly those who worship Jesus Christ our Lord since Christians are the true foundation of this great nation. Please don't deny it. I say Merry Christmas to you all. Certainly not Happy Holidays. Oh My God and Lord Jesus, do not strike down those who refuse to believe in you.

Posted by: antipATRICK | January 7, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I didn't think the 7:23 PM post went through -- I like the revised questions better -- but, sorry for the duplication.

Posted by: JakeD | January 7, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

P.S. to Anne E. Kornblut:

Someone replying "Oh, the remnants of sexism, alive and well" is, in fact, a PAUSE -- what's your definition of "without" -- unless you are going to contend those words were in Hillary's planned remarkes? Were YOU the one who told the strapping, young 21-year-old student that he looked too nice to have that sort of attitude toward women?

Posted by: JakeD | January 7, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

P.S. to Anne E. Kornblut:

Someone replying "Oh, the remnants of sexism, alive and well" is, in fact, as pause (unless you are going to contend those words were in Hillary's planned remarkes?). Did YOU tell one of the strapping young men, who said he is a 21-year-old student, that he looked too nice to have that sort of attitude toward women?

Posted by: JakeD | January 7, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

At least they weren't tased ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 7, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse