Among the Clinton Backers

Clinton supporters were cautiously optimistic.

By Dana Milbank
HOOKSETT, N.H. -- The crowd hadn't even been let in the room when the early returns began to crawl across the bottom of the CNN screens playing in the gym. But word filtered into the hallway, and a muffled cheer could be heard in the gym as the words "close race" appeared.

"As of this afternoon, I thought it was gonna be Obama by 10," said Bill Thompson, one of the first Clinton supporters in the room. "If she stays within two or three, she wins."

"I'm very pleasantly surprised," agreed his brother, Tom. At that moment, CNN flashed a graphic showing a 40 percent to 36 percent Clinton lead. The small crowd cheered. "Wow, look at that," Tom Thompson said.

About 8:30 p.m. Phil Singer, Clinton's peripatetic spokesman, began to circulate in the gym, looking giddy.

"I'm not giddy," he said smiling. "I had several beers before I came over."

Prematurely drowning his sorrow?

"No comment," the spokesman answered, then allowed himself to savor the moment. "People were writing her obituary -- I read it several times this morning," he exulted. Reporters lined up to have a word with the young spokesman, suddenly relevant again.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 8, 2008; 9:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Romney Settles for Silver Again
Next: Thanking Voters, McCain Revels in Win

Comments

Dana - loved your book "Homo Politicus" but don't remember Roy Blunt being Majority Leader (pg 233)

Posted by: rpatrickb | January 14, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Obama's many comments about always being against the war in Iraq and that Senator Clinton voted for it -- Obama's first term in the U. S. Senate began on Jan. 3, 2005. The Iraq war resolution was approved by the Senate on Friday, Oct. 11, 2002, the vote being 77 for and 23 against. Many people don't realize that Obama wasn't a U. S. Senator in 2002 when the vote was taken. However, my bet is if he were, he would have voted yes after listening to Colin Powell's presentation. I believe that Obama, too, would have been misled as were so many others. Maybe I have missed it, but I have never heard him clarify that he was not a member of the U. S. Senate when the Iraq vote was taken. But, recently when the Iran resolution was put to a vote, he didn't leave the campaign trail to get back to Washington to cast his vote. I guess now we will be hearing that he was against the resolution but Senator Clinton voted for it.

Posted by: mafox1 | January 9, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Jerryvov:

This thread is about Clinton (you know, her husband was the only President IMPEACHED for perjury -- if Bush is not an honest leader, why hasn't Pelosi done the same to him?). If you'd like to post what you think Bush lied about, I would be happy to explain why I don't think it's a lie. My meds are just fine, too, thanks.

Posted by: JakeD | January 9, 2008 6:06 AM | Report abuse

I was overjoyed to hear Hilary Clinton won New Hampshire.I feel it is time For a change and that is a woman is President of United States.The males just don't seem to do it right.I am American at heart,My great grandfather fought in civil war and I have lots of relatives In NH,Vermont and most U.S.I am Canadian and raised very close to border.3 Cheers for Hilary Clinton

Posted by: chase_lawrence | January 8, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Hillary's strength in New Hampshire is good for all Democrats - including Obama. They need to sharpen their skills with continued sparring.
Ohg.

Posted by: glclark4750 | January 8, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

harried -

In fact, it is those "teenagers" that are going to get Obama elected, I'm afraid.

Posted by: zoeb-08 | January 8, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Bush an honest leader? Quick, JakeD, take your meds...you're hallucinating.

Posted by: Jerryvov | January 8, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to think that neither of them can win a general election...

Those who like Hillary will be so pissed that she lost, that they'll stay home...

Those who like Obama and the new direction at least with regards to political discourse he would bring, will be disenchanted with his loss, and likely stay home, or vote for a third party candidate...or McCain if he holds on to be the nominee...

Either Barak or Hillary (especially Hillary) would so inflame the Republican base, that they'd come out in droves just for the chance to stop her...in part because she's a Clinton, and in part because she's a woman, and a Clinton, and in part because she's Hillary Clinton...

Posted by: squatty2 | January 8, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

George W. Bush is an honest leader.

Posted by: JakeD | January 8, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Not so fast MSM! That's what NH said today! Good on them. Well done!

Posted by: slbk | January 8, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Barack is not Martin Luther King...even though he may think so......Hillery will be installed as President in Jan 09...and I will damce at the ball.....

Posted by: butchinohio | January 8, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

He's talking about the Wapo obit written by Andrez Martinez.

It's still up atm under How Clinton Can Backout Gracefully on this website.

Posted by: Ciap | January 8, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

To Jake D.

Why not sign it un-American ignorant moron.

We want a new leader, we don't care about his color, race, or religion. We just want a honest leader.

Cheers-An American in Aussie

Posted by: ruugbyspain | January 8, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Quite frankly, the MSM's harping about the Obama double digit lead has already made this a victory for Clinton, no matter who wins by a slight margin. When they hit the states where independents and teenagers can't vote the Starbuck Buckeroo hits the dirt, hard.
My man John Edwards made a serious ( maybe nonreversible ) tactical error in that debate when he did the BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN with Buckeroo!

Posted by: harried | January 8, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

"End of story."

Except for the fact that, even if he is the Dem nominee, Barack HUSSEIN Obama will not be sworn in as President on January 20, 2009.

Posted by: JakeD | January 8, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I am one who had the HRC political obit written. Perhaps not tonight, but it will be written, signed and delivered. Obama will be the DNC nominee. End of story.

Posted by: meldupree | January 8, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse