At the Radisson Lobby

By Joel Achenbach
MANCHESTER, N.H., 6 p.m. -- Moths to a flame, countless journalists and political groupies have converged on the lobby of the Radisson Hotel, killing time in the news lull and trolling for exit poll results. I've found a prime, VIP blogging-station on some carpeted steps just around the corner from the front desk. Dave Barry was sitting on the floor, but he just left to give an interview and assigned me to watch his laptop. It's like the old days at The Herald! Maybe he'd like me to fetch him a sandwich, or file his expense report.

Jonathan Alter was just here, too, and a couple of people asked for his autograph. Seen him on TV. Jon and I argued strenuously that Dave is the much bigger deal, but the autograph hounds would have none of it. They wanted Alter and they wanted him bad. One guy said that when Alter goes on TV he seems so "fresh." We explained the miracle of modern TV makeup.

A little girl posed for a picture with Alter, snapped by her father.

Alter left for some important task. The little girl then returned and asked a question that I will share with Jon upon his return:

"Just to double check, what was the name of the man sitting here?"

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 8, 2008; 6:44 PM ET
Categories:  Joel's New Hampshire Diary , Primaries , The Democrats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Clinton Campaign Shakeup?
Next: Celebrating McCain, Comeback Kid

Comments

Apparently, AP has called the race for Clinton. Way to go -- give 'em HILLary!

Posted by: bill57 | January 8, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

willisgr:

What part of "I would never vote for Hillary Clinton in a million years" makes you think I am one of her supporters?! Perhaps you have me confused with someone else? I said "SNAP!" above re: Jonathan Alter ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 8, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I am saddened, not so much by Clinton's victory, which makes this race extraordinarily competitive, but by the consistent arrogance of her supporters (see JakeD's comments).

These are the attitudes of anger and entitlement that I hope we can transcend. Two decades of this kind of gratuitous disrespect and rage are enough, I hope.

Posted by: willisgr | January 8, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

NH says, not so fast. Clinton wins. "She gets knocked down and then gets up again and you're never gonna keep her down" And I hope they are playing that song at the Clinton victory party, especially for all the press corp. Now try some real journalism for the rest of the campaign, not entertainment tonight or tabloid fluff. Hold all the candidates to the same account. Enough of the love affair and mysoginy, please. The egg on your faces will get harder to wipe off as it dries.

Posted by: slbk | January 8, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse