Cash-Crunched Thompson Reduces Salaries

Fred Thompson's campaign is cutting salaries.

By John Solomon
Near the bottom in New Hampshire's primary results and strapped for cash, Republican Fred Thompson's campaign is cutting staff salaries to free up resources for a last-ditch effort to revitalize his White House bid in South Carolina. The decision means Thompson will mostly forgo the next primary, scheduled in Michigan, on which rivals John McCain and Mitt Romney are already setting their sights.

"This campaign is going to be a South Carolina campaign," Thompson campaign manager Bill Lacy said in a statement released as New Hampshire primary results showing a McCain victory were being tallied.

The campaign will focus its tight financial resources on a bus tour starting Thursday in South Carolina and statewide advertising. To offset the expenditures, "the campaign's headquarters staff is going above and beyond the call of duty" and "will work for reduced pay through the South Carolina voting," the campaign's statement said.

Thompson entered the race late, and his fundraising is far behind most of his main rivals'. By the end of September, he had raised just under $13 million, and he started the last quarter of the year with $7 million to spend.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 8, 2008; 9:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nerves and Enthusiasm
Next: Romney Settles for Silver Again

Comments

For several years I have hoped that Fred Thompson would run for President and have sung his praises to the rafters. I still think that he would make a fine President.

However, he has languished in this race and I find his attacks on Gov. Huckabee at this late hour to be not only incredulous, but insulting to the legions of voters who have rallied behind Gov. Huckabee--one of the few GOP candidates to step up to the plate and perform.

I support Mike Huckabee, and I encourage you to consider his candidacy.

www.abuckforhuck.com

Posted by: WakeUpCall | January 11, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Fred Supporters-unite!!America-WAKE UP!!! Fred Thompson is the ONLY candidate that will stop illegal immigration, save Social Security, and lower our taxes. You-voters are getting snowed by liars in the media. They don't want you to vote for Fred Because he is the ONLY candidate that will stand up to terrorists,our enemies, Congress, and the media to save our country!!! WAKE UP!! You voters are the lazy ones and ignorant-you believe anything the media tells you-you will have only yourselves to blame when tazes sky rocket, when you have to learn Spanish to survive, and there is no place to go to get great health care!! Believe me Fred Thompson is the only candidate that really cares about this country!!! Do your homework and you will see!!!

Posted by: lkohm | January 10, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

A CALL TO ARMS!

Let all of us Fred Supporters get out there and raise some serious money for our candidate!

Now is the time he needs us the most.

So, go to www.fred08.com and contribute.

Thanks for your support! And, I hope, your vote!

Posted by: eerichardson | January 9, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

cminmd, you read my thoughts.

I'll just add this. Thompson would never have gotten far because women will not back an old guy married to a much younger woman, running around with small children who should be his grandkids. For women under 50 it's just creepy; for older women, it makes them angry and reminds them of the husbands who dumped them or their friends/sisters. It was the same with Dodd on the Dem side, but he got even less traction than Thompson so it was a moot pt. Likewise Guiliani has alienated too many women with his multiple marriages, alienation from his kids, and bizarre relationship with Judi (hint: don't answer the cell during a speech) whom he met at a cigar bar while married!!! Blech.

The media is skittish about these family arrangements for some reason. And it is true that a happy marriage alone gets you nowhere (see Romney and Edwards). Maybe these May/December romances are so common in DC, NY and LA among the powerbroking classes that reporters don't even SEE them. But voters do. Believe me, it may be the ONLY thing they know, but they know.

Posted by: Clio1 | January 9, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Good analysis Quiet American, but I don't think that will work for Fred this time. First of all, in presidential politics you don't have time to drive around in your red truck meeting people one on one like he did in Tennessee. That might have worked in a small state like NH or Iowa wiht all the pre-primary time, but in SC the population and the area is just too big to cover in a few weeks. Also, having Huckabee as a viable religious candiate is going to hurt Fred with the religious conservatives. You have Huckabee taking the evangelicals, McCain taking the independents and possibly the military vote that leaves Fred only the fiscally conservative Republicans. Not a lot to hang your hat on.

Posted by: cminmd | January 9, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

While I'm a McCain supporter, I can't say I like folks dancing on Fred's grave here. First, Fred is a good friend of McCain, a good conservative who fights fair, and a good man.
Secondly, a short history lesson is in order: In 1994, Thompson was supposed to lose big to a Congressman named Jim Cooper. He started very slow, then came on like a freight train and crushed Cooper 61-39. In short, Fred isn't much of a starter, but is a heckuva closer. You haven't seen him try that yet, like he will in SC. In addition, Fred, unlike most of the other Republicans, can potentially appeal to all 3 major parts of South Carolina - the Upstate, the Midlands and the Low Country. You'll see most of the Republicans pulling their votes from only 1 or 2 of those regions, but Fred is likely to get support in all 3. So while I'd encourage folks to support McCain, our strongest general election candidate, I'd caution you about discounting Fred's level of support before the votes in SC are in.

Posted by: Quiet_American | January 9, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I and Millions more will be happy the day McNut boards the Senile express and rides off to the old folks home!

Posted by: american1 | January 9, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson has always been the laziest person in the race. Is anyone really surprised that he is not doing well? I predicted that he was an empty suit in October, when he started dodging reporters. Goodbye Fred. Good riddance. http://thedemomemo.com/2007/10/fred_thompson_dodges_reporters.html

Posted by: claire.celsi | January 9, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

My favorite Sunday morning event is turning on Meet the Press to watch Mary Matalin wax on about Fred Thompson winning the nomination. Another fine prediction, Mary. This will give you enough food to keep that scowl on your face another four years, and should help you maintain your never-ending waterfall of bitter one-liners. Phil6 said it all - Goodbye Fred, we hardly knew ye. . . . But didn't really like what we knew.

Posted by: SharptonVoter | January 9, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson needs to REALLY get going or "it's curtains" for him!

Posted by: KYJurisDoctor | January 9, 2008 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Goodbye, Fred. We hardly knew ye...

Posted by: Phil6 | January 8, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I wish I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night and move my car to avoid getting a ticket.

Posted by: dlobell | January 8, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had $13 million.

Posted by: hc2254 | January 8, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson, Rudy Giuliani, Tancredo, Dr. Paul-All of the Dallas Cowboys go to the Superbowl, and they ALL get RINGS! They even all get bonuses! Get Contract renewals!

Not Just Tony Romo and Terrell Owens!

BUT, Tony Romo, and Terrell Owens,

ARE NEVER GOING TO GET THERE WITHOUT THE TEAM!

Posted by: rat-the | January 8, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse