Clinton Flies as Race Goes to Obama

Updated 7:50 p.m.
By Anne E. Kornblut
COLUMBIA, s.c. -- As the race was called, Sen. Hillary Clinton sped to the airport, arriving at 7:15 p.m. She waved wordlessly to ground crew workers on the tarmac as she walked solo up the stairs to the plane, carrying a black handbag. In addition to her aides, her daughter, Chelsea, joined her on board.

By 7:37 pm, Clinton was in the air headed toward Nashville.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 26, 2008; 7:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Wins South Carolina Primary
Next: White Voters, Last-Minute Choices

Comments

Oh what a strong woman she is eh? Running away from a horrific defeat, after all that money being spent and months and months of building up in South Carolina then letting her husband give the conciliation speech.

It is really funny when I think of it. This great big Billary machine and she, the feminista, takes off, leaves all of those who worked hard for her in the lurch as if they were little cockroaches not worthy of her praise, and goes to Tennessee. Way to go, feminista. Real strong and tough woman, you are.

Help me Bill. I am so dependant upon you. You can do it better than I. (cries)

Real strong woman.

Posted by: photobug | January 27, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Osama? President? He's in the wrong party -- he's a true Republican't.

Posted by: Nurse_Tabby | January 27, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I know some Obama supporters say that they will not support Hillary if she is the nominee, but I'm less inclined to support Sen. Barack Obama due to the double standards of the media and his supporters. I'll vote for McCain or Romney!!! I'm a 30 year old, African American man. I have an MBA/MPA, but my salary in MS is not worth it. I know that Sen. Hillary Clinton is the best candidate. The news media is turning me against them, and Obama will not benefit from their current love-fest. There will definitely be a voter backlash against the Media's unfair, doubled-standard love affair coverage for Obama. Hillary will eventually rise above the media's demonization of everything she says or does. Go Hillary!!! Hillary 08!!!

Posted by: neophyte01503614 | January 27, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Why did Bill Clinton bring up Jesse Jackson without any prodding? What does Obama have in common with Jackson that would make Clinton to make this comparison from out of the blue?

It is a good thing the Clinton's have not used gender or race in this contest, or I would start to think it is because they are both black men.

BTW, I just landed on your planet yesterday.

Posted by: busdrivermike | January 27, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how Hillary seems to have claimed the mantle of "experience" - Obama has held elected office for LONGER than she has!!! Why do people not seem to acknowledge this?

Posted by: drama_king | January 27, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

While HRClinton was in the air somewhere, her husband was the first to give a speeach in Missouri after Obama kicked their behinds in South Carolina last night. She high tailed out of there. How disrespectful!!!

Posted by: msyazhe | January 27, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't know who may be our next president, however I pray it won't be Hillary Clinton.

Her husband, Bill Clinton was, and it seems, still is, an expert and dodging the truth, and it seems it runs in the family.

May God help us if those two occupy the White House again! (Smile)

Posted by: revrussm | January 27, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

For months I've been debating with my Democrat friends (I am independent) about Hillary, the candidate. Their prevailing view: Hillary is inevitably going to the White House. Mine: How would that happen?

We can look at polls and primaries and delegates and debate outcomes and money spent, and we can use those indicators re: who is up and who is down and so forth. But there is one BIG fat glaring fact out there that is NOT going to change: Of ALL the candidates out there, the one having the largest percentage of people who say they WOULD NOT vote for him or her no matter what --- Hillary Clinton.

It is inconceivable that very many of those folks are going to change their mind about Hillary; we know too much about her.

How is it again that Sen Clinton would win a general election when more than half of us are dead set against voting for her? Beats me.

Posted by: TerryOtt | January 27, 2008 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Obama was also in flight during the middle of the NV caucuses. At least the Senator had the courtesy to see voting through until the last polls closed. She's a fighter and we need one in the WH. Not a fickle leader who comes and goes depending on whether he's winning or losing.

Posted by: jesuscastillon | January 27, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

I am proud today for American as I was following the results of Iowa. I am appalled by the comments made by Bill Clinton to reporters today about Jesse Jackson. He knows that Obama isn't a Jesse Jackson, a polarizing figure as himself, Bush, Al Sharpton. Why does he insist on trying to throw Obama in the same slop bucket of polarizing figures? Please don't imply that I am saying that Jesse, Al, or the Clintons are pigs. I am saying that these people say things that insight the negative conscious of our politics. They are not uniting.

As an black man, I will find it very hard to vote for Hillary if she is the nomination if the "attack dog" nature Bill has taken on further polarize the electorate. I am a democrat who has voted for a republican (Governor Arnold in the second election). I am proud of my vote and California is better off for his leadership, given his rocky start when he tried to several polarizing tactics.

Posted by: eldridgekj | January 26, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Character counts.

If you are not even willing to stick around to personally thank your supporters and offer a gracious concession speech, it provides a pretty good glimpse at what kind of leader you are.

Worse is leaving your spouse to do the heavy lifting for you. My 72yr. old mother remarked that Hillary may have just set back the women's movement with such antics and she now will no longer consider voting for her in the Virginia primary.

The contrast between that approach and the speech given tonight by Obama is something that may resonate for days to come.

Posted by: mbg | January 26, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Obama is a great leader because he can give us a great speech? He is going to give us new direction and CHNAGE because of oratory?

The reality is different. You need a president who is ready on day one and who has depth not hot air. It is very enticing to assume that some guy has magic wand that is going sweep Washington. I ask Obama or his supporters on specifics on how it is done

The reality is that Hilary and Obama policy proposals are nearly same in many respect. Give me a break on this change thing. Unfortunately Resume counts. That is how people are hired at work. Some will turn out bad (like Cheney or Rummy) but that not excuse to hire every dick and Harry who is a glib talker.

Many of these Obama supporters flooding who are flooding these comments on all political sites remind me of Howard dean supporters.

Posted by: PVRK | January 26, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Hillary didn't even have the ovaries to address her supporters in South Carolina. What a waste. Oh! But she did have her man give a speech in her honor!
If you want a lame candidate like Hillary, you deserve the republican you'll get instead.
Go Obama!!!!

Posted by: billdiggsjr | January 26, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Look what "political experience" gets us. McCain and Romney bicker back and forth at each other like school children in the playground telling Yo Mama disses. Hillary plays the same way- instead of being about politics and issues, it's about who can come up with the most clever zing. Lots of good that kind of experience has gotten us. We've had enough. Politics is not a soap opera anymore, and you baby boomers need to figure that out quick before we just cut you out of the Social Security roles. Your generation has voted for the worst presidents in our history, and I am glad that a young man like Obama is showing you how it's done.

Posted by: zainfidel | January 26, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

When I read some of these posts I begin to realize how extremely different people think in the world of politics. I always thought that a heavy majority of voters would take a hard long look at the candidates and decide who would be best for the country. There is no perfect candidate in either party but somewhere along the line there must be someone who stands above the group.

Posted by: joem1924 | January 26, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, we need a true unifying leader; President Obama! Vision, intelligence, and dignity.

Posted by: matt_ahrens | January 26, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

miss_anthrop, I think you hit the nail right on the head about HRC supporters like Ross. They are ideologically closer to guys like Romney and McCain than they are to real Democrats like Obama and Kucinich. I say let them go over to the Republicans, since that is what they are.

Posted by: zainfidel | January 26, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

KENNEDYS TREND ... OBAMA !!!

ACCORDING TO MSNBC, CAROLINE KENNEDY SCHLOSSBERG, THE LAST SURVIVOR OF THE CAMELOT WHITE HOUSE, IS PASSING THE TORCH TO A NEW MESSAGER OF HOPE ... SEN. BARACK OBAMA !!!

Posted by: Martinedwinandersen | January 26, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Hat's off to Senator Obama. YOU are exactly what we need as PRESIDENT. A man with morals and values and one that can work to bring about the change that we need

Posted by: cwhite | January 26, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I am of the opinion that experience cannot turn around our country. What we need is a great leader not a polarizer like HRC. She appear very artificial to me and looks very calculative and negative. If HRC and Bill start attacking Obama on personal credibility why are Obama not bringing Monica issue, I do not understand. I am not sure how Bill can be negative when he himself has big negative with Monica

Posted by: alfa2 | January 26, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

We're in the 21st century and it's TOO LATE to marginalize Senator Obama.

So many, many Americans have bi-racial children, and so many other Americans have adopted children from all over the world. This is what Mr. and Mrs. Clinton do not get: the 1990s are over and with it their stale, polarizing politics of targeted destruction and pigeon-holing candidates based on some ridiculous identifying factor.

Senator Obama's background represents the family dynamics of millions and millions of Americans. His mother and father would be so proud of their son today, the now leading Democratic candidate for the presidency of the UNITED States of America.

On to the 2010s with Barack and Michelle Obama!

Posted by: willowbarcelona | January 26, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

STOP labeling HRC a heavyweight: her physique is irrelevant. On the accomplishment front she is a featherweight who can point to a failed health care program, during her stint as the stealth President, her bizarre & cynical tax increase socialism, plus, her Iraq flip-flop. OK, maybe Obama won't be better, but, he CANNOT be worse.

Posted by: craigslsst | January 26, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

What, no concession speech? That's not very graceful.

Posted by: bourassa1 | January 26, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

to emrique 1981 Remember you let a politically inexperienced person become your state senator (HRC) Pot calling the kettle.....

Posted by: str8soul | January 26, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

It's really amazing how much more intelligent most of the postings on the nyt site seem. I wonder why that is..

Posted by: scotevan | January 26, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

She did write the best seller "Dear Socks" - a perspective o fthe White House through the eyes of the beloved first feline.

Posted by: miss_anthrop | January 26, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Just what is this alleged "experience" that Hillary is supposed to have ?

Posted by: ellislawoffice | January 26, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Untested? I think this race will test Obama more than any tenure in Washington. I would rather have four years of Obama than 4 more of HRC/BC. More importantly Ross, HOW can you be a "life-long" Dem and even THINK of voting for McCain or Romney? Miring us in Iraq in perpetuity and 4 extended years of tax breaks for the top 1% is favourable to someone who has spent their adult years in public service and speaks of unity & bringing our troops home? How can Barack be any any different than JFK? He wasn't all that seasoned either. Yet he is still the standard bearer. There is something to be said for a unifying force, like Barack, that can appeal to all Americans and bring them together to repair the damage that has been done to this country by Republicans - and their consenting Centrist Democratic partners like HRC.

Posted by: miss_anthrop | January 26, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Hi Ross, looks like we have a pact. You won't vote for Obama if he gets the nomination and I won't vote for Clinton if she gets the nomination.

I know how you feel Ross. Difference is, you don't know anything about Obama because you're too lazy to educate yourself. On the other hand I know a great deal about Hillary.

Posted by: DanFromTX | January 26, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

As A hispanic male and as New Yorker. I don't see how a inexperience person won! but our country did the same in 2004. The re elected a inexperience idiot and still they haven't learned that experience does count. We are going to have the same problems that we had for the past 8 years if we elect someone without the experience.

Posted by: emrique1981 | January 26, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Well said alfa2!!
Cheers
Big night for Obama and for the whole US.
The Clintons are playing with fire and will end up burned.

OBAMA for America

Posted by: marabunta | January 26, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

This is generational. The breakdown of voters in South Carolina show that Hillary is getting only the baby boomers. I hope more of them will listen to Barack speak instead of dismissing him out of hand as an "empty suit", "full of hot air", or " a lightweight". He deserves better than that. Our country neeeds a leader like Barack.

Posted by: jennandgus | January 26, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I am very happy with Obama win SC. Thank you people of SC you deserve a pat on your back to stand against the dirty politics of both Clintons. To rule US you do not need experience. Bush with all the experienced people took us to Iraq. I want to see a fresh face with new ideas not with old world experience. If HRC will be the candidate I will give my vote to anybody in the republican side.

Posted by: alfa2 | January 26, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

You have no idea of how many of us will never vote for Clinton. Your vote doesn't matter

Posted by: marabunta | January 26, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Neither was Lincoln.

Cheers.

Posted by: sethatwork | January 26, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Obama is no lightweigh. Is a honest and principled candidate. We are tired of the old Clinton's soap opera and their hankypanky - selling pardons, renting the Lincoln suite and sitting at the board of Mall wart
OBAMA YES

Posted by: marabunta | January 26, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I am a life-long democrat and supporting HRC. If Obama gets the nomination I will be voting for either McCain or Romney.

Obama is untested. He can be a good VP and get 8 years of experiennce first.

Definitely not voting for Obama.

Ross

Posted by: rfdanao | January 26, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

So it's on to Super Tuesday and more references to Jesse Jackson's campaigns for the Clintons. Can they really marginalize Obama's win?

Posted by: parkerfl | January 26, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Let her tuck her tail and run...

this is the big Mo that Obama needed to start Tsunami Tuesday in the right direction.

Posted by: mahrens | January 26, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Yea now you get your lightweight that will be beaten in November like John Kerry in 2004. A lot of lofty ideas and no substance.

Posted by: jmargusity | January 26, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

"black bird singing in the dead of night"

Posted by: joescyberartcafe | January 26, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse