Clinton Thanks Florida Voters

Hillary Clinton
Democratic presidential candidate, US Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY), attends a campaign rally in Davie, Florida, after the polls closed on the Florida primary election, January 29, 2008. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

By Anne E. Kornblut
DAVIE, Fla. -- After winning Florida's non-binding Democratic primary, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton thanked Florida voters for their support. "I could not come here to ask in person for your votes, but I am here to thank you for your votes today," Clinton told a cheering audience in a ballroom in Davie, near Fort Lauderdale, where many in the crowd waved the trademark green signs of the municipal workers' union AFSCME, which campaigned for Clinton in Florida after the Democratic party ban took effect.

"I am thrilled to have had this vote of confidence that you have given me today," Clinton said. "And I promise you, I will do everything I can to make sure, not only are Florida's Democratic delegates seated, but that Florida is in the winning column for Democrats in 2008."

She began speaking at 8:45 p.m., less than an hour after the polls closed; she was joined by Reps. Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Alcee Hastings; Miami Mayor Manny Diaz; and Florida Sen. Bill Nelson. Clinton spoke for about six minutes before exiting the stage to the tune of "Takin' Care of Business."

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 29, 2008; 8:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Exit Polls: How McCain Won
Next: Obama Camp, Tongue in Cheek, Declares Fla. Tie

Comments

A good win for Hillary. Fla. has about the most diverse population of all, with Ca. and Hillary is ahead in our most populated Dem state. Super Dooper Tuesday should be quite interesting.

Posted by: lylepink | January 30, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Well, well, what do we see ? All important liemericans together. Anything to explain about building 7 ladies and gentlemen ? Anything to say about using 9 barrels and finding only 1 new barrel ? Keepin up the good news then, cheerio. I whish PRESIDENT OBAMA a lot of wisdom.

Posted by: jwholtkamp | January 30, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

well speaking of florida; w/ mccain's victory, it gives many democrats who will never vote for a dynastic co-presidency ( HRC and bill), an option we can get a get goodnights sleep with, ( if obama does not win) sweet dreams.

Posted by: jacade | January 30, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

A big victory for Hillary in the run-up to Super Tues. And an important message to the voters of FL that their participation was valued. We can't afford to demoralize voters in such an important state in the general election.

Posted by: djs258 | January 30, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Hillary believes Florida voters matter! Lobby the Florida and National DNC and let them know you want your votes to count and Florida's delegates to be seated at the DNC Convention in August! This election is the most important election of your lives! Florida MUST be a part of this historic vote. If they won't count these votes and seat these delegates, lobby the DNC and demand they set a new caucus or primary date for Florida to vote again, that will do it! NOW is a good time to raise your voices and make sure they are heard and your votes count Florida. Contact the DNC! Vote for Hillary for REAL change, Hillary all the way!!

Posted by: Hillary08 | January 30, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

If you and I are walking down the street to a destination and you run ahead then yell "beat ya!!!!", is that a win? I didn't know we were in a race! I didn't prepare!

Similarly, there can be no win because there was no race. The DNC, not Obama, Edwards, and Hillary as individuals, decided to punish FL and MI for holding their primaries ahead of schedule. I hate that many stupid Americans will consider this a "win" for Hillary. And I hate that it is being referred to as such.

For all those who say that 'if Obama won by that margin he'd flaunt it' I disagree with your premise that there can be a win here! How can everyone agree that it doesn't count and then have one person say, oh wait, yes it does?! If it were to count for everyone then Obama and Edwards would have campaigned to get past Billary's name recognition. (and no, one ad run either by CNN or Obama's camp is NOT campaigning. We saw campaigning in Iowa, NH and SC, for example. It is a heck of lot more than a "coupon mailer" or sorts. See Hillary's bogus "victory speech."

I really don't get what people see in Hillary. Either you can't let go of the Bill dream or you want ANY old woman in office, nevermind that her hubby will be co-president.

If Hillary wins I'm voting for McCain, unless he can't get past Romney (the Billary of the Republicans).

Posted by: Marie4 | January 29, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Go Hillary! You can bring about the necessary improvements that this country sorely needs!

You won Florida EVEN WHEN OBAMA BROKE HIS PROMISE BY AND ADVERTISING IN FLORIDA!

Best of all Hillary won the late deciders! The tide has turned!

Hillary Hillary Hillary!

Posted by: fjstratford | January 29, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I am really confused on how any American can hate on the Clintons...we only had the best economy and international relations in the last 1/2 century under the Clintons, and I think it's about time that we live the good life again. Who are you going to vote for??? The "Proven Entity", or the "Long Shot"?

I WILL TAKE HILLARY ALL THE WAY!!!!!

BRING THE ECONOMY BACK BABY, AND TAKE US BACK TO THE TOP OF THE FREE WORLD, HIL!!!!

USE YOUR BRAIN AND VOTE CLINTON IN 2008!!!!

Posted by: leslieanneconover | January 29, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Good work Hillary! Every vote counts baby! And, who needs them liberal establishment endorsements ? Certainly not the Clintons. I sooooo cannot wait till Feb 5th. Landslide baby!
Clinton/Bayh 2008

Posted by: aboyzboi | January 29, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA RAN TV ADS IN FLORIDA (FOR OVER A WEEK) AFTER HE GAVE "HIS WORD". WELL I GUESS YOU WHAT HIS WORD IS WORTH. AND HE STILL LOST!!!

Posted by: mw_lovelace | January 29, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

HILLARY WINS FLORIDA!!!

Posted by: mw_lovelace | January 29, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Clinton has no shame and no honor.

Reminds me of Bush & Rove 2000 in Florida ...

Posted by: info23 | January 29, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

A cheap trick, just like the candidates Bill/Hill.

Posted by: meldupree | January 29, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Go Florida & Go Hillary!!!

Posted by: priusdriver | January 29, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I fear the American people may not be smart enough or paying close enough attention to see through the artifice and dirty tricks of the Clintons. It will be a sad day for the Democratic party if it foolishly puts forward Clinton, who would not be an effective President due to her failures as a leader, and who is unlikely to even win in the fall due to this country's reasonable desire to not elect a Bush or Clinton once in a while.

Andrew Bellinger