Obama Cites Turnout in His 'Good Night'

Barack Obama claps at his Iowa victory party. (Getty Images)
By Shailagh Murray DES MOINES -- Shortly before take off early this morning, a weary Sen. Barack Obama strolled to the back of his campaign plane to chat with reporters.

"We had a good night," he deadpanned. "My throat is hoarse but my spirits are good."

Obama cited returns showing that young voters, independents and Republicans had turned out in large numbers, contributing to Thursday's record-shattering turnout. "It's fair to say that some were skeptical" that these non-traditional caucus goers would show up, he said. But with a flash of breezy confidence, he added, "It's a sign of what's going to happen in the country."

There's plenty of change on offer from Democratic candidates these days, with both of Obama's top rivals, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and former Sen. John Edwards, advocating their own versions of a fresh start in Washington. But Obama asserted, with an eye on those pragmatic New Hampshire voters, "I really think the country is interested in not just change in the abstract but a very specific kind of change. Change which involves people getting involved, paying attention, holding their elected officials accountable...wanting us to solve problems. So that was reflected in the results. "

Asked what's changed about the race, Obama replied, "We won the first caucus." He added sensibly, "I don't want to get into the prognostication. That's your job." As he turned away he said, "Let me go to sleep now."

By Washington Post editors  |  January 4, 2008; 6:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In N.H., Edwards Supporters' Spirits Flag
Next: An Earthquake in the Midwest

Comments

I am very optimistic and believe this is just the beginning. Yes, there are many "haters" out there but Barack Obama will not let any possibility deter him. We desperately need such a man to repair the damage done by the current administration. The convincing win in Iowa will lead to more momentum.
National poll numbers will begin to tighten as people who wanted to vote for Barack but feared he didn`t really have a chance will now jump on the bandwagon with both feet.
With a Huckabee win and an Obama win my faith in our political system has been restored. It seems the majority of people are becoming more enlightened and using common sense. I am so glad to se so many young people joining the process. I am very optimistic about the ''skinny kid with big ears''! You go Obama !

Posted by: eSPO1 | January 5, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

This is great to see a turning point in American history where we judge not the color of skin or gender, but the message of hope for a peacefull world. Bush has been able to divide people all over the country while we have a chance to vote for someone who can unite not just the U.S. but many countries around the world. Barack stands for the hope of all citizens of the United States based on character, not color of skin predestined by God!!!!

Posted by: riyad | January 4, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Poor guy! I heard him on TV (before the thrilling victory speech) last night, and he sounded horribly hoarse. Rock ON, sir.

Posted by: bugmeplease | January 4, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Am so proud of the young generation the way they understand things. I wish my generation could understand the same. May be its the new tech which the old gen. understands little or not at all. For example Hillary saying that she has experience. No one who have never been a president can talk about experience in order to be come a President. If it was Jim Carter, George Bush Jr, Bill Cliton talk about experience, everyone on earth would agree with them. But Hillary talking so, come on!! all senators and Gorveners have the experience on the ground they have been working on and not beyond that. Am happy young generation are clever enough to realise this. What about the rest!!

Posted by: fridamulindayahoocouk | January 4, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

This is not 1968 as some would pretend in order to sell a book (which is so much less than Mark Kurlansky's). BUT I am, and have been, fearful for Hillary and Barack. While the difference of 40 years is manifest in many things, there are too many points of reference to ignore beside one Democratic candidate of that year. These points are not similar, yet they rise to the same importance. We pretend we are through with racism - a lie. We pretend we think it's alright for a woman to run for president - a half truth. We pretend our candidates have great security protection - a seasonal delusion. We cannot pretend anymore. The Democrats have two candidates with two inalterable features which induce rage in too many disturbed minds - one is a black and the other, a woman - BOTH are running for PRESIDENT!

I have met and chatted with many famous people including a President and a Vice President. I have never met Barack or Hillary. I hope to some day. One person is missing from my short list an I am saddened still after 40 years. I never got to meet Bobby.

Posted by: therev1 | January 4, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse