Obama to Report $32 Million Raised in Jan.

Hannah Hall of Tucson, Ariz., perched on the shoulders of her father Chris Hall, points to the stage at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum during a rally for Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama in Phoenix, Ariz. on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2008. (AP).

Updated: 10:58 a.m.
By Matthew Mosk
The campaign of Barack Obama will report having raised at least $32 million in January, a staggering amount for one month, campaign manager David Plouffe said this morning.

That included contributions from 170,000 new donors. That brings the campaign's total number of contributors to 650,000, Plouffe said.

Plouffe said the money came in at a consistent pace throughout the month, but the campaign's strongest day of fundraising came the day after the New Hampshire primary, which Obama narrowly lost to Hillary Clinton.

"We took a lot of encouragment from that because it showed the resolve of our existing donor base," Plouffe said.

He said the money has enabled the campaign "to advertise in just about every Feb. 5 state at pretty high levels."

"Our ability to raise this kind of money is going to be critical to transacting what is a very challenging calendar," he said.

See more on Obama's fundraising here.

By Washington Post editors  |  January 31, 2008; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  B_Blog , Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Clinton Corner in Obama's Home Town
Next: In Senate, Stimulus May Wait for Super Tuesday

Comments

This will be coming back to light.
worldnetdaily.com

Obama Pastor UnGodly Remark: Natalee Holloway "Gets Drunk....Gives It Up"

Illinois Senator and Democratic US Presidential candidate, Barack Obama, may be in for some media headaches in the coming days following a triumphant double digit victory in South Carolina. Seems his long time Pastor and spiritual advisor has gone on a rant once again, this time against a presumed dead teenager, Natalee Holloway.

Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the controversial minister of Obama's church in Chicago, cited the case of Natalee Holloway's disappearance in Aruba in complaining about what he sees as the media's bias in covering white victims of crime over black victims.

Posted by: fballfn | January 31, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I am always surprise how gullible we are to accept anything that's put out there. As an African American, I have learned to be more discerning. For example, I get emails daily claiming that Hillary Clinton is a racist and to prove it, she supported Barry Goldwater, who did not support the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Wow! I am supposed to then agree to vote for Obama. Well, no one expects me to think about this. I am supposed to then do the right thing and vote for Obama. I am not supposed to think about it. Yet, when I put on my thinking cap, I realize that when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed on July 2, 1964, Hillary Clinton was 16 years old. She would turn 17 later that October 26. She doesn't deny that she was a republican once. She also doesn't deny that her parents were Republicans and she volunteered as a teenage to support Goldwater over Richard M. Nixon, who was accused of voting fraud. At 16, 17, 18, what was Obama doing? I'm sure you will realize that he himself said that during those years, he was experimenting with drugs b/c he was confused about his identity. Yet, I ask, where was Obama during the years of the anti-apartheid movement, which was going on while he was in college at Columbia? Oh, my, he was not involved. If he really cares about his homeland, which we are supposed to believe that he is, why isn't he advocating or intervening to help Kenya, during the turmoil that's now going on? He needs to speak now about what's happening. I know this is seeking the U. S. democratic Presidential nomination, but he needs to be show that he cares about what is happening. Maybe, with all of his presidential influence, he can change the situation there. Demonstrate his leadership now with that issue then maybe I would believe that he is genuine. Otherwise, he is as he accuses Hillary Clinton--a fraud "will do anything to get votes."

Obama looked his audience in the face (you and I included) during the South Carolina debate and implied he didn't know Reskzo (or however his name is spelled). Yet, we learned after reading the Chicago Sun-Times that Obama has had a 17-year history/relationship w/ this man.

I agree w/ some responses here that Obama is playing the race card. He often throws a rock and hide his hands--sounds like GWB. He whines all the time when he is challenged that the Clintons or supporters are interjecting race. The media, and I would say many whites, are afraid to challenge Obama for fear that they will be called racists. No one wants to appear overtly racist in this day of political correctness. Also, African Americans are pressured to support Obama as well. Otherwise, we are seen as a traitor to our race and to MLK, Jr.'s memory as well as of our enslaved ancestors. Yet, MLK, Jr. wanted to see a day where one is judged by the content of her/his character rather than the color of one's skin. We are being forced psychologically to vote for Obama b/c he is African American. Not for what he has done, but for the possibility of what he says he will do or might do. That is wrong. Judge him by his deeds. If Clinton is to be judged by things she did in her youth, then so should Obama. If one person is going to be judged by the breath of one's life, then too should the other person.

Finally, what is telling about the character of this man is what he said in an interview w/ CBS or CNN, Obama said about Ted Kennedy's support. When asked about it (the reporter was asking about why he was accepting Kennedy's support b/c Kennedy was one of those insiders the American people needed to get rid off), Obama said, "It shows you can teach an old dog new tricks." What does that say about someone who should be grateful that he got that "old dog's" endorsement.

Obama thinks that he can win by forcing all of us to play his game. The message is: vote for me to show that you are not racist, vote for me b/c I am the first viable African American candidate, and vote for me to demonstrate that you want change. He wants us to vote for him for change, not b/c he is the best qualified. I say, what change does he want us to make? What is vision--not some grand theme, but what specifically is his vision? Additionally, why is it that it is not racism when 70%-80% of all African Americans are voting for Obama primarily b/c he is African American but it is racism when 70%-80% of whites vote for Clinton? I don't get it. I have this conversation w/ family members who support Obama. They plan to vote for him b/c he is an AA even though they agree that he is not the best qualified.

The media (electronic and printed) has abdicated its responsibility to be objective in this matter. They in their zeal to undermine the Clintons have failed to critique the campaign strategy of Obama. Let's wake up before it's too late. Let's unveil the wizard (Ozbama--this is not meant to be mean-spirited) behind the curtain. Let's show that we are not afraid to stand up for the ideals of King and will not be bullied to support someone whom we know is not prepared to lead this great country of ours at this critical junction in our's nation history. Best of luck Hillary, you have my support!

Posted by: Southernbred | January 31, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

5 days is a lifetime in politics! When you got the big mo you can make up any lead! The plain fact is that Billarys numbers are NOT going Obama's are and with Edwards out I think the natural home for his vote is Senator Barack Obama The Edwards people remember the Billary trade policy of the 90's NAFTA and the like they are ANTI-BILLARY!

Posted by: gfsurrette | January 31, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Clintonistas, I would rather have a first-year med resident operate on me than someone who just "watched" a surgeon. I would rather have someone who admits when he wrong than someone who never apologizes for an uninformed vote that killed 4K and counting. I would rather have a community worker than a union-busting lawyer and member of board of a union-busting Wal-Mart. I would have OBAMA who is accessible to everyone versus the Clintons who cater and makes deals for their clique of rich friends. OBAMA in '08!

Posted by: meldupree | January 31, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

gfsurrette wrote: "Here's some more numbers to put into perspective another Rasmussen poll out today from California Clinton 43% Obama 40% thats a dead heat! Clinton had been leading in Calif. by 20 points and more since this summer everyday more and more people are joining the Obama cause to chart a new course for a brighter future for America! Amen! OBAMA 08!"

I don't know if there's enough time for Obama to get over the hump here in California. If there were another 2 weeks I think it could be done. But a lot of voters are only beginning to learn about him (the more proactive voters have already informed themselves, but most voters aren't proactive).

I also hardly see any of his TV commercials on the air. I don't understand that. Some of the Obama commercials I've seen on youtube are really really good, effective campaign commercials, but I haven't seen them aired here. I've seen a lot of Hillary commercials, but they are boring.

Posted by: woolldog | January 31, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I am also proud to give him my $75.00 last year and another $25.00 this year. If I get my refund early plus the check that Bush is giving us this year I may give him some more. Go Obama!!

Posted by: bigben1986 | January 31, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Obama will make a good president even for HRC supporters

Posted by: scrappyc20001 | January 31, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

When Hillary says that she can control Bill, I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for her.

Posted by: Lilly1 | January 31, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

To: guttman,
You Obama supporters are hearing the sweet sounds of the pied piper pulling you directly towards your own peril and you give your rights freely to him. What did Hillary, McCain, or Romney did to you lately? More wars? Yeah right!!

Posted by: bigben1986 | January 31, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

You mean to tell me he still has many left after the Rezko fiasco.

Posted by: rmary65 | January 31, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

The gallup poll out yesterday shows Obama surging nationally cutting Clintons lead to 4% points thats a conformation of the Rasmussen polls the national polls have more meaning now with 22 states in play! Put that in perspective! THE RACE IS ON! THE PROMISE LIVES! OBAMA IN 08!

Posted by: gfsurrette | January 31, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Wake up and follow the money folks. Lots of GOP loyalists sending cash. They want Obama to be the Democratic nominee because they know he will be the easiest to defeat because of his lack of experience, accomplishments, no details on solutions, always vague and shifting positions.

Whenever questioned on details, Obama camp changes the subject to race and calls Clinton divisive. (Watch the debate tonight...that will be his answer for everything). Meanwhile it is the Obama camp that referrred to Clinton as the Senator from Punjab, and then can't even shake the hand of the person next to him. Yet he claims to be a uniter. GWB promised the same thing when he first ran. Don't fall for it this time around.

Posted by: joep1 | January 31, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

bnw173 seriously? The arrogant?
Bush and Clinton come to mind right away.

Too bad about Edwards, I would have voted for him easily. Clinton and Obama just sucked all the air out of the room.

Apart from gloating bloggers though, these Obama people may be wide eyed, even idealistic. But no one I know is anything other than cheerfully hoping for something better than what people have always gotten from political dynasties. Talk about arrogance.

Posted by: shrink2 | January 31, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

seedofchange and the like. Indeed, Obama is trying to sell us something for nothing. Not like the Clintons who when they give, expect many fold returns on their investments. Like those in Kazakstan or Wal-Mart for example: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/us/politics/31donor.html?hp And what did Hillary do to qualify her for a plush job on the board of Wal-Mart where she helped bust unions? Well, thems the breaks when you're juiced in. The rest of the suckers that vote for the Clintons must make the con all the sweeter. Indeed, I'm sure they're giggling all the way to the bank (unless the camera turns on them, and then its niagra falls). Two of the best con-artists ever to come out of the South.

Posted by: Majorajam | January 31, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Another psychotic rant from the Clinton people.

First some lunatic compares his feelings about OJ getting away with murder to his feelings about Obama, but now Barak just may be Adolf Hitler?

Joan, take off the tinfoil hat. If you think Barak is a poor excuse for a black candidate (I am sure all your black friends appreciate the homily about how far they have come), isn't Bill Clinton's wife about the poorest excuse for a feminist candidate you could imagine?

Joan, would you still be married to Bill if you were treated this way?

Posted by: shrink2 | January 31, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Obama has the most money this month, just like all the other past successful presidential candidates who were awash in donations- Phil Gramm, John Connolly, Mitt Romney etc.- the list goes on. All they succeeded at is raising money. The place mat at my diner with pictures of all the past presidents fails to mention Gramm, Connolly etc. etc. So, Obamaniacs, enjoy the moment.

Posted by: dyinglikeflies | January 31, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

seedof change- thank you. I've been trying to peg Obama. Your church reference turned on the light, He sounds like Orel Roberts. Thanks.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 31, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

gfsurrette- remember New Hampshire? MNMBC was so confused, I laughed my head off. Matthews couldn't wait for the polls to close so they could declare Obama the winner. As Clinton held her lead you could see their frustration mounting. Matthews even made the statement that he didn't know what happened but he would find out.Like somebody committed a crime, Someone, I can't recall who, told him it wasn't a crime to lie comimg out of the polls. Remember that frustration for you Obamains.
Better not count your chickens too fast. That night after SC as I watched the glee and smirkiness of the CNN and MSNBC I decided I would not vote for Obama> They acted like Edwards wasn't a candidate. I haven't made up my mind whether I can vote for Clinton. At least most of her supporters don't show the arrogance that most Obama supporters do. I love to see the arrogant fall.

Posted by: bnw173 | January 31, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

It's just so great that people are beginning to realize the Clintons are trying an attempted Coup de' tat on the presidency. Hillary isn't the real candidate, Bill Clinton is. He's trying to use the backdoor to Hijack our great democracy. The Constitution only spells out two terms for a president not three. All those Women supporting Hillary should realizes this woman isn't going to be the true president, it's going to Bill all over again. This country needs to look to the future. Obama offers that to this country. The politics of old need to be retired.

Posted by: lumi21us | January 31, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

No amount of money will change racism.

Posted by: info | January 31, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The Experience for Change.

Hillary has the THE EXPERIENCE THAT KNOWS HOW & WHAT TO CHANGE. Over 35 years of experience.
Think about real change with someone that can get the job done. Someone extremely intelligent... She will bring our troops out of Iraq, she will change the face of Healthcare and Education, and take us out of this recession.
Obama...If not's about a race thing, then tell me what great thing Obama has accomplished. Try to convince me. I don't think it's time to experiment right now. Our Country is at war, our economy is a complete mess, we need help. We need a candidate with experience.
not someone who wants to learn on the job. I say we should observe Obama over the next few years, and see what he does before we even consider electing him as President. I mean this is not a game we are playing, this is serious life, our lives.We still do not know exactly what
he did that was so amazing as Senator for people to believe in his WORDS, and that's exactly what they are WORDS! If you listen to his speech pattern, this guy obviously studied MLK.
Now we have Ted Kennedy, an alcoholic, murderer, and male chauvinist endorsing him, and we follow him like sheep. Come on People this guy is an opportunist, and does not have the best interest of this country at heart. Then there's Carolyn Kennedy, who after all these years
appears like a mouse out of its hole, and we believe she can pick our president. To actually proclaim that Obama is like her father, is an insult of a great man, JFK is a war hero. It seems as though Caroline has never read "Profiles In Courage"...
and Obama, well... how has he proven that he loves America? What has he done to come close to even being compared to JFK?
Check out this site where he does not even salute the flag: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1662530_1446035,00.html
The reason why people gravitated towards JFK was because he did things in his life and he believed in and gave up his life for this country, he was not all talk.
People used to believe in substance at one time, now it seems that it just needs to be shiny. Shame on these Kennedys!
And shame on any women that are not supporting Hillary! You should get your head examined. Here we have a woman who worked really hard to get where she's at, and she's a viable, experienced candidate, which can finally bring women up to the same respect that men have
always had, in regards to jobs, salaries, opportunities, etc, and then we choose an inexperienced guy over her, that we know nothing about, and that just came out of nowhere. These women belong back in the kitchen, barefoot & pregnant.
So shine your ALL Clad, make your 30 minute meals, and listen to what Oprah tells you to do. This just proves that you do not really want Change. It's the same old thing, just another guy, with another skin color.
Let's talk about viable black candidates. Obviously MLK and even Colin Powell would have been guys to hang your hat on, but not Obama.
Most of all, these are folks that really proved they loved America. The black people that are voting for Obama, because of the color of his skin, shame on you too!
Do you really want to take a chance on a guy with no experience, and a shady background. The stakes are way too high, to have the first black president fail. Black people have worked way too hard, and have come way too far, to have someone like Obama, represent
what you stand for. Come on let's get real here.

If we think about it, there is another person that was able to deliver great speeches, and inspire many to believe in him....Hitler. BAHHHHH, BAHHHHHH

Posted by: joanthebaptist1 | January 31, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Bill certainly does want to win, but as more news comes out about his shady dealings, I think he will only continue to hurt Hillary -- as multiple people have pointed out: see the recent headline story in the NY Times on his dealings with mining kingpin Frank Giustra and his very questionable statements about human rights in Kazakhistan.

With things like this constantly percolating into the news, Clinton Fatigue seems to be turning into something much worse (and potentially untreatable): CCFS -- Chronic Clinton Fatigue Syndrome...

Posted by: hermanSF | January 31, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Rassmussen is a Republican polster. Look at all of the number from other organizations.

I know you want to "believe".

Obama supporters need to go to church from time to time. Otherwise they will just believe every guy trying to sale them something for nothing :-)

Posted by: SeedofChange | January 31, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Obama 32 million:

1. All money not for current campaign. They are for general and they will not disclose the amount

2. What is the money left in hand? They will not disclose that either.

Great idialist.

Obama gave back part of his Rezko money, but the house he bought will under the table transaction has not been returned.

Snake oil sales man: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/353829,CST-NWS-rez23.article

Posted by: SeedofChange | January 31, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gfsurrette | January 31, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

You Obama supporters amaze me, The most naive sheep I have ever witnessed. I'm sure those special interest groups from Kennedy and Kerry will give at least $10. Bless your hearts. All candidates have small doners and BIG doners. Mostly Big doners. If someone tells you different you are looking at a liar. Politician's creed. "You can't fool all the people all the time, but once every two or four years is enough". I congratulate Obama. it's impressive, but keep in mind that sometimes people begin to think for themselves and money doesn't count. I really don't care, but Clinton probably has plenty of money too. Case in point. McCain broke, he's done. Romney loaded its over. Better be careful, other Dems like me may start thinking for themselves,

Posted by: bnw173 | January 31, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

there are still many fools taken by the rhetoric of obama. this election is for the democratic party to lose. the inexperience and naivette of obama, if he becomes the nominee will be highligted, that he can defeat the mean machine of the republican party is wishful thinking. he says that judgement is important than experience. how can he answer when the dirty tricks department of the right brings out his Rezco connection. what about national security and foreign policy? it is easy to say that you did not vote for the war but inexperience on these matters qualify him to be president? You can be sure that they will tear him to shreds on these issues especially if John Mccain is the republican party's nominee.I hate to say this but do you think the right will not use his race if he becomes the nominee?

Posted by: tim591 | January 31, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Would you mind couching those new donor numbers with a little reality please?

The Obama campaign lists anyone who pay $2 for a bumper sticker as a donor, so let's put those numbers in perspective please.

Posted by: scorbett1976 | January 31, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm a 23-year-old grad student (who's broke as you know what), but I am proud to say that I have twice donated money to the Obama campaign. I am thrilled that so many others are doing the same. And to lhummer and msoren, thanks for your posts setting the record straight :)

I'll be spending the weekend volunteering for the campaign, and I hope that Super Tuesday voters will go to the polls and take advantage of the opportunity to be a part of this amazing movement. Hundreds of thousands of people have already shown that they believe in a better America. That in itself makes me proud to be an American today.

YES WE CAN! OBAMA '08!

Posted by: ASinMoCo | January 31, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Yikes 32 million! 650,000 donors and counting it does look like Obama has the big mo! A Rasmussen poll has Obama closing the gap to 6 points 43% Clinton 37% Obama in my state Massachusetts Susa on 1/23/08 had it 59% Clinton 22% Obama that South Carolina BOUNCE is what I call a bounce 31 points! Senator Barack Obama for President of the United States of America! ITS TIME!

Posted by: gfsurrette | January 31, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

graysce101

When you can't attack a man's ideas, you attack the man. In legal terms it's called argumentum ad hominum, and it's what you just did in your post. While this tactic may work on the ignorant it seldom succeeds on anyone who THINKS.

The facts are:

Obama is not a Muslim.

He pledges allegiance to the flag as does every loyal senator when the senate is in session.

These are the only points of your post that are worth commenting on. The rest are just garbage.

Posted by: lhummer | January 31, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I just watched an interview on MSNBC with Hillary Clinton where she said she was NOT Bill's co-president, yet Bill has said she was. One of them isn't telling the truth. I think they are so accustomed to lying that they can't tell the difference. This is just another reason why I will continue to give money to Barack Obama.

Posted by: lhummer | January 31, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Right on msoren. I get so tired responding to these people with "issues" searching for a reason to rationalize their contempt for a black candidate.

Whether he is accused of not being black enough by of all people Andrew Young, too black, or that he has a criminal career including 17 parking tickets for which he deserves, obviously, to have done jail time...it is too thinly veiled, we all see through it.

Thank you for posting truth.

Posted by: shrink2 | January 31, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I could not take the time off of work volunteer in the early states. Instead I donated about three days worth of pay this month. Senator Obama is the first person to ever inspire me to put my money where my mouth is.

Obama '08

Fired Up! Ready to Go!

Posted by: dnbraggs | January 31, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Banana Republicanism knows no partisan boundaries; it's afflicted the Clintons, evidently.

With this attention focused on Kazakhstan, though, what will become of the unanswered questions about Saudi money raised by Frank Rich in last Sunday's New York Times?

Posted by: FirstMouse | January 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

vishalg_99: You should carefully review unbiased reports of the events before and after the NH primary. It is clear that HRC started the fuss by giving credit for advances in civil rights to LBJ rather than MLK - an incredibly stupid way of trying to make a point about leadership and comments that she should have immediately apologized for (unfortunately, it is the Clinton way to never admit a mistake and to never apologize). Obama said only that he felt the comments were "unfortunate" - pretty mild response to something that very many people found terribly offensive. A SC member of the Obama campaign drafted a memo, which Obama did not endorse and later apologized for, suggesting ways of taking advantage of the HRC comments - standard for political operatives, but not something that the Obama campaign actually used. Then, after everyone had agreed not to inflame the discussion with considerations of race, Bill comes along and makes an intentional comparison between Obama and Jesse Jackson with the sole and obvious purpose of marginalizing the Obama candidacy - just another black candidate winning in a black state, but of no significance nationally. Disgusting! And still, there have been no apologies from the Clinton camp for either the initial comments about LBJ/MLK or Bill's various efforts to bring race into play. To suggest that Obama brought race into the dialog is to swallow hook, line, and sinker the Clinton's insidious strategy - say offensive things and then when the media and Obama respond, blame Obama for making race an issue. It is too clever by half, but these are not the kind of politicians I want running my country. I too (at 46) made my first political donation this year - $50 to the senator from Illinois! Go Obama!

Posted by: msoren | January 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder if people like graysce101 and loonybin (!?) are actually Obama strategists. Every time they hack up another racist screed of lies, everyone who reads it donates more money to Obama.

C'mon you guys, let us in on your secret.
Are you off your medication or do you really love Barak's candidacy?

Posted by: shrink2 | January 31, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Some people are getting fooled by this salesman. This rookie is a phony. Why?
--.what this rookie and REZKO have in common? Muslim's brothers are for life. Blood is sticker than water. You can run but you can not hide.
..refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance. He did not want to offend ISLAM so he refused.
..claims he's running on his record.. He did not even know how to cast a "Yes" or "No" vote. He voted "present" more than hundred times.
.. had 17 years' old unpaid outstanding parking tickets. He should spent sometime in jail.
.insisted that his health care provides care to everyone, does he know what universal means?
..a fabulous orator, but we need more than words; we need a doer not a talker
..he says one thing and does another
..will meet with enemies without preconditions
..he said that he was not taking money from the Lobbyists. How about the Rezko connection?
..playing old politics as usual, after he promised hope and change....
..used to be a drug addict or a pusher?
...inexperienced, lack of accomplishments

Please don't waste your vote to a salesman! Please be smart.

Posted by: graysce101 | January 31, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA/C. KENNEDY FOR VP. EXCHANGE FOR LOTS OF KENNEDY MONEY!

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | January 31, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Loonybin asks "Where is all this money coming from." Go back and read the article - it is coming from the grassroots - over 650,000 individuals have contributed to Obama's campaign.

I am so proud of Americans for being brave and hopeful enough to invest their hard-earned money in a shared vision of what we believe America can and should be: one country, one nation, working together toward a common purpose.

I love your optimism and hope, America, and I love Obama for being able to bring out the best in all of us.

Go Obama! GO AMERICA!

Posted by: drama_king | January 31, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

This is more than enough to wipe the floor with the Clintons on Tuesday...

Posted by: parkerfl | January 31, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I am proud to have been one of those 170,000 new donors; Unfortunately, being a registered Republican, I won't be able to vote for Obama on Super Tuesday; we have a closed primary in New York

Posted by: james1416 | January 31, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Where is all this money coming from. So far lots of money donated to Obama had to be given back because of thedirty money coming from irreputible sources.

Now that the Kennedy' have made a commitment to endorse Obama, have they gotten together and individually signed checks to him so they could stay within the law regarding contributions.

Hey bab, test the waters

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | January 31, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately Sen. Clinton has choosen to align herself with union busting corporations and law firms (Rose) throughout her career.....without any objection or dissent on her part.

Her past actions don't measure up to her campaign rhetoric in my opinion.

Posted by: rmatrazzo | January 31, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen,

Remember Norman Hsu, the Hillary bundler who HRC is now running away from (akin to a cockroach in your kitchen when you turn the lights on); here's more:

Is Hillary the one for the Oval Office? Shame on us if we put her there; then we deserve to get what will come (hint: it ain't good, either)!

Posted by: meldupree | January 31, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I have donated four times (small amounts) and will continue to donate until this man is elected. He is far and away the superior candidate. How can you expect Hillary Clinton to bring anything but more of the same?

Posted by: GeorgHerbet | January 31, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Obama called the support of his one and only known questionable donor a mistake and gave it away.

Will Billary do the same? The idea this couple has been vetted or somehow innoculated is comical. To return these two to the white house will tell the world what they already suspect, we just don't care about corruption anymore.

Posted by: shrink2 | January 31, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I made my first contribution to Hillary Clinton after her South Carolina loss. I felt Obama had stayed colorless during the Iowa primary but swiveled to blackness after his Nevada loss to Hillary. I thought Obama's Iowa win was fair. I thought it was okay for Obama to appeal to his black base. Hillary has appealed to her women base too. However, Hillary didn't perpetuate the conversion of Obama into a misogynist. Obama methodically fanned the flames that made a person, who was considered by Toni Morrison herself to be blacker than black, look like a racist.
Pause and think. What kind of an ethos makes us do something like this to one of our own. If we must turn the page then fine. But must we do so by destroying our own?
It reminded me of the time - I had just emigrated to US in 95 - when the OJ trial was in process. I was intrigued by it and followed it all the way and concluded quite easily that OJ had murdererd. The evidence was overwhelming. I was surprised at the verdict but more at the unilateral, unambiguous, visceral sense of happiness among the black students in all the classes.
My brother, who had been in US for ten years and is also a person of color, was to my utter surprise, equally delighted. I couldn't believe it. When I challenged him, he told me I will see his point after ten years. I told him - I won't. I have been dark my whole life and never looked at people through the prism of color - if it has not happened so far, it won't happen ever. And it hasn't. I recoiled when Harold Ford Jr. was brought down by ads with racial overtones in Tennesse. And I recoil now that Obama should win SC by shading one - that is, Bill Clinton - who is clearly not a racist.
So I will try and spare whatever money I can to challenge the reverse racism that is happening here.

Posted by: vishalg_99 | January 31, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of unions, has everyone seen this: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4218509&page=1

But really folks, who's suprised???!

Posted by: Majorajam | January 31, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

You have to ask yourselves, where is this support coming from? Is it the Pharmacuetical companies? PACS? Oil companies? Billionaires?
This is grass roots, real motivated voters putting their money where their mouths are. This is a groundswell...pay attention to what's happening on the ground not inside the Washington Press corps.

Posted by: thebobbob | January 31, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

You Clinton supporters really want four more years of this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/us/politics/31donor.html?hp ? Maybe Bill was just trying to get Wal-Mart in there so Hillary could go bust up the Kazak unions.

The Clintons: selling out unions, human rights activists, the Lincoln Bedroom, their integrity & soul to the highest bidder for 35 years.

Posted by: Majorajam | January 31, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Guttmand:

"What is a bill that he cosponsored with a Republican?"

***************************
Transparency Act with Coburn

Expansion of Nunn-Lugar

Obama-McCain Environmental Initiative

So not only does he work with Republicans, he sponsored a bill with another Republican Presidential Candidate.

Posted by: thegribbler1 | January 31, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Guttmand, maybe you can find a country where corrupt family dynasties thrive.

As for the rest of us, we have seen enough. We are sick of it.

Crazyone1, you got that right. As a psychiatrist, I am incredulous about the support of NOW and Gloria Steinem for Billary as a feminist candidate. In trauma theory, this is called "identification with the aggressor".

Posted by: shrink2 | January 31, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

btw guttman, I plan to give to OBAMA and not to hrc as well!

Posted by: meldupree | January 31, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I have personaly pledged $25 out of every paycheck and contributed the first $75 in January 2008. It is the only time other than $50 dollars to the anything but Bush 2004 campaign, that I have ever sent money to or volunteered time as a supporter for a candidate since I first voted in 1972.

I am doing it to insure that this country gets the breath of fresh air it so sorely needs and so sorely deserves.

Obama 2008

Posted by: AverageJane | January 31, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I saw tha mining deal with Bill in the mix, too! Just like Marc Rich gave to the CLinton library and somehow he get a pardon in Bill's waning hours in office. Nobody gives $31.3M (with a pledge for $100M more) without something in return. Do you think these mining moguls do not expect access to Hillary as President through Bill? Please!! Ladies and gentlemen, the Clintons may have put White House access for sale long before the primaries are over. This will make the Lincoln bedroom sleepover and White House koffee klatches mild by comparison!!

Posted by: meldupree | January 31, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Pissy and thin-skinned (revealed by the 'snub') must be popular with Obama's support.

My bad.

Posted by: PhilTR | January 31, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Keithood...I am a reformed conservative Republican now independent and have got on board the Obama campaign as well. I live in North Dakota and there is huge support here for him. I just hope Caroline Kennedy gets the nod to be his running mate...I have heard a lot of talk about this actually happening...there is a ground swell of support urging Obama to offer her the VP spot and I hear she is getting lots of emails and calls to accept it if offered! That would put the Clinton juggernaut on ice for sure and Obama/Kennedy ticket would be a dream team that would beat any Repub ticket hands down!

Posted by: kathrynne | January 31, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

guttmand: for a bill Barack Obama co-sponsored with a Republican, see the Federal Funding and Transparency Act, which Obama sponsored in April 2006 alongside Republican front-runner John McCain.

The bill required the government to create a searchable database for government contracts - a so-called 'Google for government spending' - and you can find the results at www.expectmore.gov. So, if Mr. Obama does become president, there's a good chance that you'll be able to find out if his administration is, as you seem to expect, wasting your money or not.

Either way, his work on the bill signifies a commitment to exactly the kind of transparency, accountability and co-operation that he's been talking about throughout his campaign.

Posted by: jd231 | January 31, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

That's great. It's even a million or two more than willie got from the canadian mining guy.

Posted by: barnardj1 | January 31, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

With stats like these, he must have invested some of that cash into their internet campaign:

Posted by: davidmwe | January 31, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I made a small donation too.

Esperanza 08!!!!

Posted by: vitana1900 | January 31, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

ABC: Hillary Clinton Remained Silent As WAL-MART Fought Unions; Tapes Show Loyal Company Woman...

This is the change we've been promised?

Posted by: rmatrazzo | January 31, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

That N.Y. times article about the kazak deal is more evidence that America needs a new way of doing things. I read Obama's website, and it is brimming with excellent substantive ideas. Inform yourselves! Don't get misled by the talking points. I've listened to all of the candidates and none of them give detailed proposals in thier speeches. Its simply not the forum to do that. You have to stop being lazy and research. When you do, I think that the 32 million Obama has raised will not be surprising.

Posted by: icr7 | January 31, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow. That is fantastic. I am proud to say I was part of that $32M, small part, very small part, but a part nonetheless! Obama can win this thing!

Posted by: zbob99 | January 31, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

now if it had been one donor that gave 32 mil, then guttmand would be impressed - 650k donors? just rabble.

Posted by: benjoya | January 31, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Senator Clinton's campaign coffers just topped Obama's total with a large donation from the deal Bill brokered in Kazakhstan. Change, a la the Clinton definition, is looming right over the next hill.

Posted by: rmatrazzo | January 31, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

bill clinton has no personal respect for hillary which is why he publicly embarasses and humiliates and shames her with his sex addiction. do we know if he's 'cured' or will the White House be abused again. Also, in Afghanistan, women take abuse from their husbands. hillary puts up with that same abuse from bill clinton. this pair is too immoral, and indecent to ever represent us. Snap out of it America! Vote Barack Obama or John McCain. i am ashamed of the clintons even if they arent ashamed of themselves. i wonder what chelsea thinks, now that she is old enough to realize why her parents are so sullied and despised.

Posted by: crazyone1 | January 31, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Those numbers are staggering. Almost--almost-- half of all contributions to date.

Any word on Hillary's numbers? Reports must be filed today, no?

Posted by: darkestcloud | January 31, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

And the lemmings continue to give. You Obama supporters are hearing the sweet sounds of the pied piper pulling you directly towards your own peril and you give your rights freely to him. What has he done that shows he has made a change? What is a bill that he cosponsored with a Republican? You talk about dreaming about change - yet Kennedy didn't change much. You don't like Dynasties yet you love the support of the Secretary killer and his kin. You folks are just sad. Save your money - you will need it should this pud become our president.

Posted by: guttmand | January 31, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Here's my story. I'm a blue collar union worker from Michigan who has been a supporter of Obama from the beginning. However, I got really ticked and really motivated when the Clintons went nutso in South Carolina. I immediately put a call out to some online Obama groups and held a fundraising planning meeting on Saturday. That group is now ten people and we all decided to set up our own fundraising page on barackobama.com and e-mail all of our friends and relatives asking them to contribute. I set up my page on Sunday and so far people have contributed $250 with most of the donations being in the $25 range. Lots of other people are doing the same thing. 32 mil/170,000 donors = $188 per person but I imagine that some of that money is coming in larger chunks but lots of it is coming from people like me, too. Working class folks who are struggling from paycheck to paycheck but still finding a way to give and to get others to give, too.

Posted by: keithhood | January 31, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Way to Go Obama and TEAM!!!

You are well on your way to the White House.

Coonsey's View