Online Donors Rediscover Edwards

By Matthew Mosk
Democrat John Edwards's campaign is preparing to announce today that the former North Carolina senator has raised more than $3 million over the Internet since Jan. 1, despite his underwhelming performances in New Hampshire and Nevada.

That is more than it raised during the last three months of 2007, a campaign spokesman said. Just yesterday, the campaign had one of its best fundraising days, taking in more than $230,000 in contributions. The vast majority of online contributions will be doubled by federal matching funds, campaign officials said.

An Edwards aide said 93 percent of the online contributions received by the campaign arrived in amounts of $100 or less. And 52 percent percent of those making contributions online this quarter are new contributors.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 25, 2008; 12:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friend of Bill Goes Off on Bill
Next: Raised Hopes in South Carolina

Comments

Edwards has been blocked out by the CORPORATE media who are advocating IN THEIR OWN INTERESTS, not the peoples.'

It is hard for Edwards, to win when the party is 60% women, and in states where 55% are black against Hillary and Obama.

It is amazing he reached 18%.

The very factors that make it difficult for him to win in the primary is why he would make the STRONGEST general election candidate.

The democratic party is dominated by women and minorities, and they need the vote of white-men, who usually vote 70% republican.

The democrats already have the vote of women and minorities.

Posted by: river845 | January 28, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I am also one of those donor, I am an immigrant, native of Costa Rica. After few years of being a Permanent resident in the United States I became a Citizen. Part of the process of becoming a Citizen of this great nation included among other things, learning about my rights and responsibilities, one of the things I love the most is for me to have the opportunity to be part of this great democracy and actually have a say on election day. I will vote for the very first time and I am felling really proud, really happy, and excited, that's what I pledge. Some immigrants, just like me, come from places where the ideal of democracy stops short, and many do not have the freedom that we enjoy here.
I wanted to take a minute to invite you to think about our civic duties, as citizens of this great nation, never take for granted your chance to have a say in this democracy, never take for granted the freedom and abundance that we enjoy in this America the beautiful. Many people consider politics a personal matter, so it is, however, it is important to remember the impact your participation or lack of can have on the direction of our country. I extort you to stop and reflect, count your blessings and get out and vote, make this nation proud, just as I am proud of be part of it now.
I work at the front line for families that actually need assistance and services, Children with special needs. I see insurance denails and not reponding to urgent needs, it's all about the money for them. I just wanted to say it again, think and vote, get informed, and vote.

I know who I am voting for. John Edwards, he will fight for me, John Edwards represent me the best.

Thank you for your pledge to this great nation that I love and I call home.

Javier

Posted by: javamso | January 26, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick to death of clinton and obama
I could just puke!!

we no longer have a "news" in the country we are left with "spin"

Time for a change!!

I decided months ago that i would donate $50.00 a week to john's campaign so that my family can have what john stand up for!

and everytime the media spins its spin, writes untrue articles on John, or hides articles in areas like arts & living i put a $1 in a jar....i keep collecting that $1.oo and every month with one of my $25.oo
donations i sent the whole lot! and that adds up fast
as this article tells you! people are sick of the MSM DICTATING and not reporting the news.

I WANT TO HEAR JOHNS MESSAGE!!! I WANT YOU TO HEAR HIS MESSAGE!.....THEN VOTE YOUR CHOICE.

Posted by: disapointedwithobama | January 26, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The fact that the story states that raising $230,000 in one day was one of the best performances for Edwards fundraising ever summarizes what his been the problem for Edwards from early on: Raising money.

PS to the poster above: Four percent in Nevada is pretty underwhelming.

Posted by: danielhancock | January 26, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

JOHN EDWARDS is "Our ONLY HOPE"!!!!

Posted by: laj819 | January 25, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I have contributed to John Edwards and will continue to do so when ever I can. In my view he is the best qualified of any of the candidate in either party, not that any of the borrow and spend so our rich friends get richer Republicans come close. I will ultimately vote for the Democratic nominee but probably won't volunteer to help with Hillary's campaign. She lost me when she voted for the Iran resolution. This raised some very serious questions in my mind about her ability to learn from mistakes (voting for the Iraq invasion comes to mind). Only John Edwards has been talking about the issues of poverty and corporate greed that must be addressed. In my mind he gets it and is willing to put his money where his mouth is so to speak.

Posted by: BenjitheWolfdog | January 25, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Likewise, I gave to Edwards and am angry that the media are deliberately ignoring him, almost as brazenly as they did Kucinich. I am hoping he'll do well in SC. If he does there'll be a deluge of contributions, and I'll dig as deep as I can again.

Posted by: st_denys | January 25, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Edwards has raised the money because of his stellar performance in the last debate. It's caused a lot of people to take another look at him. And they like what they see.

People are also taking another look at Edwards because they are sick of Obama's & Hillary's public feud that is tearing the Democratic Party apart along racial and gender lines. Neither one of them deserves this nomination because they have proven in this campaign that they are more concerned about winning than they are about what they are doing to the voters.

This election is about the voters not two spoiled celebrity candidates who have sucked up all the free media coverage only to squander it with their petty squabling. They don't deserve our votes and they certainly don't deserve all the coverage.

Posted by: pmorlan1 | January 25, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

So he raises $3 million in one month "despite his underwhelming performances". Underwhelming only according to the media. Imagine what he could accomplish if the media would treat him as having equal weight as Obama and Clinton.
Despite all the best efforts of the media to ignore him, he still resonates with the people.
The media needs to report on, not frame the debate.
The people can decide for themselves whether who is underwhelming.

Posted by: dteachout | January 25, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

After his debate performance, and, more to the point, the underwhelming debate performance of the other two candidates, it's hardly surprising.

Posted by: sfmandrew | January 25, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Good for him.

"despite his underwhelming performances in New Hampshire and Nevada"

That's entirely subjective and unwarranted.

Posted by: zukermand | January 25, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I was one of those donors.

I'm not quite ready to let the media decide who has won this nominating process.

John Edwards showed a side of himself in the debate that I hadn't seen on television and hadn't read about in the media.

I was very, very impressed. I wish I could have given more.

Posted by: john13 | January 25, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse