Online, Obama Starts to Beat Ron Paul

By Jose Antonio Vargas
Online, Sen. Barack Obama has been dubbed the "Barocket" -- and for good reason. Throughout last year, he was the most popular Democratic candidate on the Internet, with more friends on MySpace (now 215,000), supporters on Facebook (numbering north of 200,000) and channel views on YouTube (11 million) than any other presidential Democratic contender.

And it looks like that support is continuing.

This week, Obama's campaign announced that it received money from 100,000 online donors in the first 15 days of the year. Though the campaign won't announced exactly how much money that is -- unlike Rep. Ron Paul, who has made his online contributions public in real time -- it's still a stunning figure, say online political observers. Wrote Joshua Levy of TechPresident, the bipartisan group blog that tracks online campaigning: "in the last two weeks alone he's averaged about 50,000 donors a week. That's darn impressive, and it looks like Barack Obama has displaced Ron Paul to become the online fundraising juggernaut of the campaign."

But the Web is more than just raising funds, as all the candidates are learning. It's also about providing voters with organizing tools that enable them to become not just supporters but also surrogates for the campaign. On this score, Obama, too, is finding a lot of success.

In July, The Post wrote about Linnie Frank Bailey, a 51-year-old in Corona, Calif., who joined Obama's group on Eons, a MySpace-Facebook hybrid for Baby Boomers. Bailey, who's African American, gave $10 to Obama online, her first political contribution. Two weeks ago, Bailey e-mailed The Trail and wrote: "I've become increasingly involved in the Obama campaign. First as a blogger and commenter, then I formed a Christian Obama supporters group on Faithbase.com. I really got involved by attending an organizing meeting in So. Cal. I became a coordinator for my town and now I am a Regional Field Organizer for my congressional district! We are opening a local office in Riverside soon and I was able to secure a contribution for the rent!!"

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 17, 2008; 4:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Huckabee and McCain Playing it Polite in S.C.
Next: Huckabee Says Flying Confederate Flag a State Issue

Comments

Hi! I'm a social scientist from Louisiana State University, conducting research on how MySpace empowers voters like you and me to get involved in political and public life, to advocate the causes we care about, or to support the candidates we like the best.

If you read this message and have 5 minutes, please click this link:

It will take you to a survey with a few
short questions about MySpace. All data is and will remain confidential, but your contribution will enable me to study how we can use the Internet to better the way we communicate with our civic and political leaders.

I am very grateful for your time. If you like the survey, please forward the link to your friends and ask them to take it as well. The more opinions, the better :)
I will post the findings on my MySpace profile (Monica Postelnicu) in the summer, once the study is over. Thanks again.

Posted by: m_meidele | January 26, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

This jack ass writer needs to either check his facts or he's typing skills Barack obamas myspace friends = 22937 (as of Jan 18/08) not 200 000+ reported here http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=1647294 Dr Paul has 45 000+ subscribers on youtube while obama still barly has 11 000+ even though barack has more view over 11 000 000 to the channel no one wants to join him Dr. Paul has almost 6 000 000 views by the time he reaches 11 000 000 he'll have close to if not more then 100 000 subscribers beat that Osama, I mean Obama

Posted by: asdfqwer123 | January 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

How can you compare the two campaigns of Ron Paul and Barack Obama - and the dedication of their supporters? Obama has more free media than any candidate can hope for, while Ron Paul has been censored, blacked out, ignored, berated, insulted, etc.

Ron Paul has managed to attract over 50,000 online contributors per week this year and still holds the record for raising over $6,000,000 in a single day (and he also raised over $4,300,000 in a single day before that). He raised $20,000,000 in the fourth quarter of 2007!

And Ron Paul has done this without the movie star treatment and Media Darling status of Obama. There is no question that Ron Paul supporters are much more dedicated and they will stick around, even if their candidate loses some battles along the way.

Those of you that doubt what I am saying, what do you think will happen to Obama's support if he loses big on Super Tuesday?

I would bet the family farm that his (Obama's) media-hyped campaign would fizzle out if he were treated the same way as Ron Paul or Dennis Kucinich. I am not a Democrat, but it is very sad that the Democrats (the so-called party of the people and the so-called party of inclusion) will silence their own (like Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel).

The Republicans have tried their best to block Ron Paul from getting his message out, but they simply can't shut down Internet and he beat Giuliani (twice) and Thompson (twice) in actual statewide electoral contests (Iowa, New Hampshire, and Michigan). What is more important, polls or votes? Have the polls been right at all this time?

How could Fox News deny Ron Paul a slot on their candidate forum before the New Hampshire Primary? Even the media blackout was not enough to stop Ron Paul - he still went on to win 8% in New Hampshire (ahead of Fred Thompson - one of Fox's fair haired boys).

Wait and see what happens in Nevada and S. Carolina...I bet there will be some candidates making for the exits - and Ron Paul will still be in the running on Super Tuesday...and on to the Convention in Minneapolis in September.

Obama has all of the advantages a candidate could hope for and he still doesn't have the dedicated following of Ron Paul. With all of the money and free media, of course he (Obama) will attract attention - and I bet that most of his support comes from Democrats that can't stomach Hillary - not from supporters that are genuinely in love with his campaign...it the whole lesser of two evils thing (again).

In closing, I will vote for Ron Paul on February 5th because he comes the closest to what I believe a President should be and I don't follow the herd by voting for who is the most popular according to the Media. The Media has taken it's freedoms promised by the 1st Amendment for granted and is now nothing more than a tool to spread propaganda for the Power Elite...

Posted by: davidthomasmelton | January 18, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I used to think Obama was one of the less evil candidates, but I've recently come across excerpts from his own autobiographical book "Dreams of My Father," which are really quite alarming. It seems he is deeply conflicted about race issues and as president, this would only lead to more division between the races.

Barack Obama: "That hate hadn't gone away," he wrote, blaming "white people -- some cruel, some ignorant, sometimes a single face, sometimes just a faceless image of a system claiming power over our lives."

Obama vowed to "never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own" and said "certain whites could be excluded from the general category of our distrust."

And comments he made regarding his college days make him out to be very calculating:
"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists."

In addition, I am also very concerned that Obama belongs to a Black-Only, race-dividing church, Trinity United Church of Christ, where whites, Mexicans, Asians, etc. are not welcome.

We need someone who doesn't see color between the races, but instead focuses on individual civil liberties.

Posted by: blakmira1 | January 18, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

This is because Ron Paul supporters are out on the Streets talking. Ron Paul has a Chance at Winning his party Nomination. Paul/O'bama ticket? With Ron Paul's Brains, and O'Bama's lady appeal, we'd be unstoppable. Oh, and don't listen to the "Rove Republicans". They think that balancing the budget means borrowing a Trillion dollars from the Chinese and giving it to the Iraqi's. I'd rather keep my money thank you.

Posted by: testere40 | January 18, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I thought Ron Paul didn't matter/was unelectable/long shot, etc?

But now he gets coverage when Obama (the Democratic frontrunner with young people) finally passes him (if he did) in online donations?

The good thing about this is that it will get more people to vote for the MLK Money Bomb on the 21st. Thanks for helping fire up our base.

www.freeatlast2008.com

Posted by: desert_fox43 | January 18, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't even know why I google news "Ron Paul" anymore. All I seem to find in the headlines is more of the same LIES. I am seriously losing my sanity here. I cannot believe what the Ron Paul campaign has done to open up my eyes to the way things are in this country.

I cannot believe so many brave men and women have died for this compromised nation of ours.

All you media people, and I mean ALL, should be ashamed of yourselves!

Posted by: Inshame | January 18, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Obama is taking over the internet huh?

I beg to differ!

Check out the news coverage that ole "Iraq Hussein Osama" has versus his internet searches through google.

Posted by: foontala | January 18, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I read your article and wondered what you are trying to convey. No solid numbers on donations or the size of staggering on- line support of Dr. Paul compared to Mr. Obama. Far greater minds than mine have expressed very well thought out responses to article. Mr. Vargas, what is the point of your words? Please read and research Dr. Pauls solid position. This great nation is in trouble. Please do not censore like Fox and all MSM the message of Dr. Ron Paul.

Posted by: 13thhole | January 18, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

BTW....You said in your biased and unresearched article that "Obama's campaign announced that it received money from 100,000 online donors in the first 15 days of the year"...How about
the FACT that Ron Paul received over 6 Million dollars from 130,000 not in 2 weeks like Obama but in 24 hours...!
Hello?....
You left that out....Interesting and noted!
Go Ron Paul!

Posted by: Tanah | January 17, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Please If you are in the fence regarding your candidate CONSIDER Ron Paul.
Take the time to understand wht the media ignores him and marginalize him even if he is a legitimate and viable candidate. Everything he says is substantiated by facts unlike all other candidates from both parties. "Change"...it will be more of the same. Obama, Hillary, McCain, all of them want to continue a war that has ALREADY "bankrupted" our country. The recession is here...no "If it comes" like Huckabee said yesterday....it is here! Just go and check out an economics book from the library and you will see. Do you know why the barrel of gas is $100?
It is not "control" from the middle east -It is because of the devaluation of the dollar (It is becoming worthless) because our government is irresponsible and is writing "hot checks" (printing money from thin air). This devalues the dollar and creates inflation. If you think you struggle to pay property taxes and income tax... Wait until the media's picks (Obama, Clinton, Huckleberry, McCain, etc)
continue borrowing from China to continue the "unwinnable" war because of pride and stupidity.
If you made a mistake... admit it make it right and move on. Ron Paul gets 80% of all military donations....I wonder why?...
McCain gets....nobody knows...even if it was 20% -shouldn't he be getting 80% being a "war hero" and all? America-please wake up and smell the coffee. Universal healthcare is coming if any of the other candidates win- and they will raise our taxes even more to pay for it.
Did you know that 70% of illegal immigrants...
"yes..."illegal" are receiving government aid/welfare from AT LEAST ONE Govt' Program?
No wonder we are going broke. The only person talking about all these points is Ron PAul.
Guliani, McCain, Obama (as charming and smooth as he is)... DO NOT have a clue...
Hillary may have some experience but let me break it to you gently... She is a socialist and is promising "free college education and free healthcare" to hispanics...
I am hispanic b ut I have a problem with people receiving benefits when they don't contribute to the system ( I saw Hillary in a Spanish clip-trying to get the hispanic vote)... Please VOTE RON PAUL.
You are not wasting your vote-you gotta have HOPE before is too late.
I think about my children and I get chills thinking about what it can be if Ron Paul is not the President. America we are in serious trouble-open your eyes and the facts.
My hard-earned money and vote are going to Ron Paul!
www.ultimateronpaul.com
www.thecaseforronpaul.com
www.ronpaulforums.com
www.ronpaulblimp.com

Posted by: Tanah | January 17, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

The economy is headed for disaster and the country to bankruptcy, and none of the presidential candidates have a clue, except Ron Paul. Only Ron Paul will stop the war and bring our troops home from around the world. That's the only way to avert disaster.
Ron Paul! Freedom! Ron Paul! Freedom!

Posted by: washpost3 | January 17, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Correction: The title of the Obama Oped was

"A Chance To Change The Game"

Posted by: TomdeSabla | January 17, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Obama for the same reasons stated by many here on this board. I'll go further though, and give an actual example of how his type of "change" isn't really change at all.

One of the first policy proposals I remember him coming out with, on a national basis, was his editorial proposal to "reform" Congress, entitled "Changing the Game." I will summarize it:

"Blah blah blahdy blah, we're going to reform Congress with a commission of former judges and former members of congress" But, in true Obama fashion, the reports issued by the commission will "be made available for all citizens to read."

Yes, yes, and I'm sure there would be a database too, Mr. Obama.

So, what would be the result? Another useless commission to tell us, if we're lucky, what we already know, government is too big, and has too much power, which corrupts congress, and will continue to corrupt congress, until they have much, much, less power and money to spend.

And, of course, the Commission would cost money too, and so would it's useless investigations and reports. This is Barack Obama's idea of fixing America - another stinking commission?

All his ideas are like that, stupid baby stuff. Not thought out at all. Wanna know why he harps on change so much? Because, when he tries some wack "change" and it totally screws up and, oh, I dunno, RUINS OR DESTROYS PEOPLE'S LIVES OR GETS THEM KILLED, he can say, "Hey, we're doing totally new things here, breaking new ground in history, we're changing the game; naturally mistakes will be made,"

Just like he said right after he screwed Joe Anthony over the myspace page.

Hey, you want to ruin this country? Turn it over to Harvard lawyer, and world improver Barack Obama. You want to fix it, you fall in behind an Austrian school economist like Ron Paul.

It's all about the money baby.

Posted by: TomdeSabla | January 17, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I've been listening to all the candidates and nobody except for Ron Paul seems to have a clue that the US Economy is in deep trouble. As a result of the Federal Governments over taxation and poor monitary policy we are sinking into a recession and the latest word out of Washington is more interest rate cuts. We need Ron Paul's experience and wisdom now or we are doomed.

Posted by: Arley46 | January 17, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

We, Dr. Ron Paul supporters, are way too busy these days. We are actively spreading the message of freedom to others that fall prey to MSM. Freedom comes at a cost. The internet is a wonderful thing. I wish the best of luck to Mr. Obama, but be reminded, our economy and dollar are very sick. Only a doctor can save us now! Dr. Ron Paul 2008!!!!!!

Posted by: your-peeps | January 17, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break with this Obama is beating Ron Paul garbage as if that's impressive. Obama is the media darling who gets a free pass on everything, he just has to look good and sound good and say things that sound "uniting" and "change-y" and the crowd swoons. Meanwhile Ron Paul and his grassroots support has had to fight media attacks and censorship of all kinds almost the whole way. Since the media seems to have the right to behave however they want in this election process, let's have them put together a 1 on 1 debate with Obama and Ron Paul, debating each other head to head on the issues, that would be revealing. Don't get me wrong, I want Obama, or Edwards for that matter, to come out of the Democrat side and join forces if they must to beat Hillary, but no one holds a candle to Ron Paul as an answer to "...How do we fix things?" The other Republicans could be on stage with Hillary or vice versa. But the majority of America isn't looking at the candidatesin any depth, they just want a change from Republican to Democrat, that's just brilliant, I love how we invest so much of our thought processes to choose a President for our country. Well it's not like we're facing any substantial issues right now.

Posted by: sminersc | January 17, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Post prints this story knowing that the Obama staff is categorizing a donor as anyone who purchases a bumper sticker through its online store.

Posted by: althusius | January 17, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul follows Austrian economics, which has made me a lot of money. It predicted the stock market crash, and showed me that, while the timing was unpredictable, the crash itself is not.

Every day the stock market goes down Ron Paul will get 100,000 more votes across America in protest for our country's awful economic policy.

Posted by: Fazsha | January 17, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Tell your fellow Americans.

Posted by: chrisw_555 | January 17, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

FOX NEWS reportedly deleted Ron Paul's key debate response from the last debate in a LIVE REBROADCAST they recently aired. How is it a LIVE REBROADCAST if you splice out that which you don't want the voting public to hear? Like Ron Paul or not, this should disturb you in my humble opinion.

CAMERON: Congressman Paul, yet another question about electability.
Do you have any, sir? There's always the question as to whether or not...
(LAUGHTER)
... you are, in fact, viable. Your differences with the Republicans on the -- with the rest of the Republi-cans on this stage has raised questions about whether or not you can actually win the Republican nomi-nation, sir.
PAUL: Well, we've only had two little primaries so far. So it's pretty premature to decide which one is going to be the candidate.
But, you know, when you think about it, if you measured everything I've ever said, every vote I've ever taken against the Constitution, you know, I'm a strict constitutionalist.
Are you suggesting the Republicans should write me off because I'm a strict constitutionalist? I'm the most conservative member here. I have voted, you know, against more spending and waste in govern-ment than anybody else.
(APPLAUSE)
So you're suggesting that I'm not electable and the Republicans don't want me because I'm a strict fiscal conservative, because I believe in civil liberties? Why should we not be defending civil liberties and why should we not be talking about foreign policy that used to be the part of the Republican Party?
PAUL: Mr. Republican Robert Taft didn't even want us to be in NATO and you're saying now that we have to continue to borrow money from China to finance this empire that we can't afford?
Let me see if I get this right. We need to borrow $10 billion from China, and then we give it to Mushar-raf, who is a military dictator, who overthrew an elected government. And then we go to war, we lose all these lives promoting democracy in Iraq. I mean, what's going on here?
(APPLAUSE)
And you're saying that this isn't appealing to Republicans? Where did this come about? I think this is the Republican message. I defend the platform. It used to say we'd (inaudible) the Department of Education. It doesn't say that now.
We, as Republicans, went and doubled the size of the Department of Education, so where have we gone? I think we've lost our way. And then the insinuation that I am less Republican because of that?
HUME: Congressman, thank you very much.

In response, the official Ron Paul 2008 Campaign blog asks,

"...how could any semi-reputable news source cut a presidential candidate's answer in a debate? And how could a network that hundreds of thousands of conservatives trust delete the most forcefully conservative, Constitutionalist, anti-statist answer that any candidate gave that night?"

Posted by: harvardsquares | January 17, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Obama is an eloquent speaker of "together, we can have everything...yada, yada" rhetoric.

Unfortunately, eloquent rhetoric will not lower the massive US debt that will soon crush the middle class citizen. Lowering that huge 9 trillion dollar debt will require massive cuts in spending, an immediate end the Iraq War, and an end to the US policing of the world. We can't afford foreign war and corporate war profiteers anymore. We need troops protecting our own borders.

America, wake up!

Mr Obama Voted in favor of amendment to expand chain migration in 2007
Sen. Obama voted in favor of the Clinton Amendment (SA 1183) to S. 1348. The Clinton Amendment would significantly increase legal immigration by adding an unlimited number of spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents to the uncapped immediate relative category that currently is for the spouses, minor children and parents of U.S. citizens only. The spouses and minor children of lawful permanent residents currently are allocated some 87,000 visas each year. The Clinton Amendment failed by a vote of 44 to 53.

Mr. Obama Voted in favor of amendment to increase chain migration in 2007
Sen. Obama voted in favor of the Menendez Amedment (SA 1194) to S. 1395. The Menedez Amendment would not only increase near-term legal immigration by more than 100,000 each year, it would remove even the façade that the bill would end chain migration. Specifically, it would change the cut-off date for reducing the "backlog" of family-sponsored immigration applicants from May 1, 2005, to January 1, 2007, the same date by which illegal aliens must have been unlawfully present in the United States in order to receive amnesty under this bill. It also adds 110,000 green cards a year for adult children and sibling backlog reduction. The Menedez Amendment failed by a vote of 53 to 44.

Mr Obama Voted in favor of amendment to increase chain migration in 2007
Sen. Obama voted in favor of the Akaka Amendment (SA 1186) to S. 1387 The Akaka Amendment would exempt children of Filipino World War II veterans naturalized pursuant to the Immigration Act of 1990 from numerical limits on worldwide immigration. This additional exemption from caps on visa issuance would serve only to increase the flow of immigration into the United States.The Akaka Amendment passed by a vote of 97 to 9.

Mr. Obama, charismatic as he is, simply does not have the platform to reduce spending. He's just a new young face on the same old foreign interventionist, tax and spend democrat.

We can't afford him....

Google "Glenn Beck David Walker" choose The Real Story - Touching the Third Rail.

Posted by: jinveninato | January 17, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

People -

It is ironic that we are sending to undeclared wars by Congress thousands of our young man and women to Kill or be killed "to bring Democracy and freedom" as President Bush once says, while here at home we have a set of media and industries conglomerate behaving in ways that point to a different trajectory. These groups are following the trajectory that our founder's fathers were against it, the trajectory they suffered from, the one they saw and felt and united them to bring about our beloved Constitution.

For the most part these conglomerate using sillies excuses acting like third world countries do during any governmental elections. One need to look next door elections (Mexico) as well as Venezuela just to mention a few to see the similarities. If you look at those two countries past elections you will see the same pattern of distortions and half-truth to those individuals they do not want to get any track while giving as much media cover to those they represent and want.(did someone says Fair and Balance?) it must be an illusion. May be that is why In venezuela one main Tv station GlobolVision was closed by the goverment not so long ago for portraying to be "Fair and Balance" during the Coup d'état.

One need to think What is going on in this country? Do the economy controllers think that the American people is so concern about their daily chores that we have actually become sheep just as Judge Napolitano latest book "A Nation of Sheep" explain?

There is so much the American people can take before the giant awakes, and that my friends is what is taking place, this and other important issues is resonating to the American people of all ages and they are being carry by Dr. Ron Paul message.
It is the common citizen that are awakening from all the noise that for so long has been dominating the political arena and the people in general feels disfranchised.

A concern of our present and future wellbeing is at stake and change is desperate WANTED. Use the power of your vote and voice to bring change not just to the executive but especially the legislative branch.
[*** Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper. THOMAS JEFFERSON ***]

Posted by: politiciannc | January 17, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

One of the big reasons Ron Paul is being silenced in the MSM is because he is shaking the faulty foundations of economy:

From Bernanke:

"overall and core inflation should moderate this year and next, so long as the public's confidence in the Federal Reserve's commitment to price stability is unshaken."

Of course Ron Paul is correct, we will shortly enter a period of stagflation - recession combined with inflation, as a result of our economic irresponsibility.

From Alan Greenspan's new book (page 255):

"Historically, societies that seek high levels of instant gratification and are willing to borrow against future incomes to achieve it have more often than not suffered inflation and stagnation. The economies of such societies tend to run larger government budget deficits financed with fiat money from a printing press. Eventually, the ensuing inflation leads to recession, or worse, often because central banks are forced to clamp down. Then the process starts all over again. Many countries in Latin America have been particularly prone to this "populist" malady, as I discuss in chapter 17. I regret that the United States may not be wholly immune to it."

The more people hear Dr. Paul's message, the more they realize just how harmful the Fed practice of printing money truly is.

Posted by: ianallover | January 17, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

How does this even relate to Ron Paul?!?! One line ?

That's not enough to write an article; how many did Paul have? How can you have a comparison if there there is no other number with which to compare?

This is such a stretch for a headline. Maybe it's an advertising ploy, they know Ron Paul-ites are going to read every news article pertaining to him so they figure if they throw in a bad headline at least the page will get a lot of hits.

I guess the upside to this is it shows who is thought to be the real contenders in this election: Paul and Obama....

Posted by: notantisocial | January 17, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

No, no , no. Please do Google "Ron Paul" and "Political Report" together. What you'll find is a series of childish reporters getting upset over some sentences that Ron Paul didn't write. The big, scary TNR article has no proof that Ron Paul wrote it and no proof that he is a racist. You'll also find many people who have known Paul for years and will tell you that he is no racist.

Posted by: jondoman | January 17, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Actually, sorry, I meant "Paul/Obama 2008!"

Ron Paul for president.

Posted by: davidmwe | January 17, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

It's unbelievable that a source like the Washington Post would headline "Obama starts to beat Ron Paul online" when they don't even have a figure of the donations. There's NOTHING biased about this reporting, no not at all.

BTW: Paul has had over 110,000 online donors.

Pathetic. They give reports like this, then when we respond they say we're "berating" them.

No wonder Americans have practically lost all respect for their media.

Posted by: jimnhammer | January 17, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I am a huge Ron Paul supporter and I go online for all of my information. Ron Paul supporters are unable to get the news from stations such as fox, because its heavily edited. I hope Obama wins the dem nomination.He, too, has a lot of press bias, as the powerful, evil Clinton machine runs rampid. Paul is the only Republican I could vote for. If he does not win, I would vote for Obama . If Obama doesnt make it, I dont have a third choice. It appears the rest are all crooks. Although I agree more with Dr. Pauls foreign policy and fiscal ideas, I also think Obama is a good man. I cant say that about any of the other candidates.

Posted by: ann35016 | January 17, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

That is interesting, for although Ron Paul (US searches) is still leading the Google Trends Charts, Barack Obama has come on very strong. See:

Heck, why not;

Obama/Paul 2008!

Posted by: davidmwe | January 17, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

JakeD

I implore you to look deeper than that, to not by into this media circus and media name calling. "Paul's a racist, Hillary's a racist, Obama's a racist." Look at their resumes, voting records and see what they've done. Not just what they're saying now.

Posted by: chrisw_555 | January 17, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

If you really want to YouTube something that pertains to a legitimate candidate, here you go, and see what someone that knows a considerable amount about the economy is saying. They're going to cut the fed interest rate again and it is going to prolong and compound our problems.

Posted by: chrisw_555 | January 17, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Representative Ron Paul is the only person in congress espousing a true respect for the United States Constitution. Paul knows that congress has the sole power to declare war under our constitution. He is not afraid to offer voters his philosophical opposition to the Iraqi occupation by questioning the disastrous CIA operations and failed foreign policies that caused our great nation to be despised around the world. Ron Paul has worked tirelessly to educate Americans about the dangers of borrowing $2 billion per day from foreign investors in order to spend $1 billion per day fighting people who live in caves.

In the Republican debates, Ron Paul has shown that only he has the intellect worthy of America's best professors, statesmen, and philosophers, such as Chalmers H. Johnson, Senator Robert A. Taft, and even Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Ron Paul opposes warrantless wiretapping, a nation I.D. card, and the Patriot Act because he knows that it is never worth sacrificing liberty for faux security form an incompetent and corrupt government.

For example, Dr. King was the victim of FBI interference because of his opposition to the Viet Nam War. King was a true believer in the philosophy of Jesus Christ who said, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Before her death, Mrs. Coretta Scott King was asked what she would say to those who claim that her husband never had to deal with an Osama bin Laden. Mrs. King quickly replied that if the philosophies of Jesus or her late husband were practice by our government, "there would not be an Osama bin Laden."

Dr. Ron Paul is one of the only members of congress, and surely the only conservative in congress, capable of understanding what Mrs. King meant by her answer. Dr. Paul does not buy into the "War on Terror" brought to us by the Military Industrial Congressional Complex and he offers the only hope in the Republican Primary of saving our country from its self destructive ways.

Posted by: wtpatton | January 17, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

chrisw_555:

Just don't GOOGLE "Ron Paul" and "Political Report" together, right?

Posted by: JakeD | January 17, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Please don't make this into a popularity contest, with pretty music and empty words about change. There's too much important stuff out there, and we're at a very pivotal time in our history.

"To dismiss terrorism as the result of Muslims hating us because we're rich and free is one of the greatest foreign policy frauds ever perpetrated on the American people. Because the propaganda machine, the media, and the government have restated this so many times, the majority now accept it at face value........
"Polling on the matter is followed closely and, unfortunately, is far more important than the rule of law. Do we hear the pundits talk of constitutional restraint on the Congress and the administration?" Ron Paul on "OUR" House floor 1/29/2003

Please GOOGLE RON PAUL, he's saying what you've been thinking!

Posted by: chrisw_555 | January 17, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"OBAMA PORTRAIT MUSIC VIDEO" on Youtube - Don't Miss It!

For those of you who still have not heard:

There is a WONDERFUL and INSPIRING music video on Youtube.com entitled "Obama Portrait Music Video by Bjarne O."
You can use the free downloaded high-quality stereo version from the composer's website in DVD form to show at house parties and fundraisers. Even people who knew nothing at all about Obama have been moved: either a thrilling introduction, or further inspiration for those of us who already know and fight for Obama.
The music soundtrack, which incorporates excerpts from the famous 2004 speech, can also be downloaded separately in high-quality.

It is an uplifting and informative campaign tool - so please, SPREAD THE WORD!

YES WE CAN

Anne

Posted by: annevilla | January 17, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Just the latest sign that Senator Obama's goals are embraced by many many Americans of all races, parties, religions, and ethnicities. The Democratic party and Clinton supporters have to acknowledge that this is the kind of support that is needed to effectively govern, to overcome partisan gridlock, and to confront the challenges our country faces effectively. We've all had enough of a country divided down the middle. Lets get the person in here that can create consensus.

Posted by: maq1 | January 17, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama is still getting a free pass on his connection to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the white-hating antisemitic Farrakhan-worshipper Obama reveres as his mentor and friend. Steve Sailer has been doggedly documenting the details for months, from primary sources (e.g. Obama's own autobiography!) -- but of course, no respectable commentator would dare read Sailer for fear he might soil his eyes.

Posted by: hine1476 | January 17, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Pff, Obama doesn't have the intellect to take on the Federal Reserve. So IF he gets elected be prepared for more of the same.
"All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects of the Constitution or Confederation; not from any want of honor or virtue, as much as downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation." John Adams wrote to Thomas Jefferson in 1797.
Today, two hundred years later, his statement still holds true. And because of this the United Stats has allowed and continues to allow the Federal Reserve, a paper corporation, to control the flow of money; making it tight and creating unemployment or printing more and creates inflation.
Article I, Section 8, Clause 5 of the United States Constitution states that the Congress shall have the power to coin money and regulate the value thereof and of any foreign coins. As you may know, this is not the case anymore. The United States government has no power to issue money, control the flow of money, or to even distribute it; that belongs to a private corporation registered in the State of Delaware, the Federal Reserve Bank, created by Congress in 1913.
Former presidents Jefferson and Jackson believed a central bank is not only unconstitutional but also causes inflation by printing money with no backing causing US citizens to issue T-bills to support the created money. Unfortunately it is our children that pay for the treasury bills we issue to prop up the markets. Any money the Fed releases to "curb market jitters over sub-prime woes" is a tax on unborn children who will be paying the interest on the debt we have accrued.
Inflation is the enemy of our prosperity as it causes the cost of living to go up faster than the pay increase for the large majority of people. The reason inflation exists is from the uneven change in the volume of money, say, when it is printed and given to a defense contractor. For the moment the contractor's suppliers do not realize the money volume has changed, the recipient of the printed money experiences increased purchasing power. The workers end up receiving the wage in old money, but then are faced with prices in the new money after the vendors adjust to the new money supply. When the Fed injects more money into the system, then you have more money chasing the same number of goods which causes inflation.
Generations ago it was free for citizens to turn their gold and silver into money, which increased the money supply as a wealth to the people. Now dollars are created out of thin air and loaned into circulation as debt against future production, not exchanged into circulation as production performed. Money has been switched from an evidence of wealth to an evidence of debt. The whole principle and function of money has been switched.
Thomas Jefferson was concise in his early warning to the American nation, "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
Back in 1963, then president John Kennedy wanted an end to the Federal Reserve System and with a simple stroke of the pen he ordered the U.S. government to restore its Constitutional mandate of controlling the money. President Kennedy was dead three weeks later. When President Lyndon Johnson took office, he immediately rescinded Kennedy's order and the Federal Reserve won another round.
Slavery is the price of ignorance.

Posted by: compr0 | January 17, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

McCain never met a Bill or a War he did not like. He admits to being part of the problem in the Republican party in the past, to bad he could not have figured that out BEFORE the election. He certainly is not the brightest bulb in the bunch..President?

Huckabee wants to do to the Constitution what sharia law does for middle eastern government. Taxes? All of a sudden (during election) he becomes the great anti-Tax man. How convienant, to bad he could not have figured that out before the election..

Romney as McCain called the kettle black is truly the "Candidate of Change" (Changing sides) Can anyone say flip-flopper?

Rudy... Can anyone say 9-11 a hundred times fast without a lisp?

Thompson..Can anyone say Law and Order? Thompson could certainly ACT the part but could he play it? Very doubtful.

Ron Paul.. With the whole GOP against him he is definitely an underdog and with his radical idea of following the constitution and strengthening the dollar he is on a rocky road, on the other hand most Americans love an underdog too..

Hillary? Her experience is about the same as a Football Quarterbacks wife deciding to play the game herself.

Obama? Who the hell is Obama really? Obama has more faces than Mount Rushmore and even less experience then Hillary in Washington. They would make great running mates, the blind leading the blind, which is business as usual in Washington..

Edwards? Same old stuff and the typical Washington insider, even worse, an Attorney by trade..

Dennis Kucinich? Well he is out, the Demo Party and Mainstream media Ross Perot'ed his butt. Ask most anyone about him and they will say "Isn't he the guy that saw UFO's?" Shame, he was the smartest guy on the Demo side.

So, after looking at this list and who mainstream media and the parties say has the best chances of winning, you should be afraid, very afraid...

Posted by: b.kuszmar | January 17, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Obama is to be commended for 100,000 contributions since New Years Day. Of course it helps if the MSM media hangs on your every word! (Even if not much of substance is being said to distinguish him from Clinton and Edwards.)Just one note of caution: Ron Paul supporters are hosting another money bomb on Martin Luther King Day on January 21, 2008. Many people are waiting until then to contribute. It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare on January 22. And the money as well. It is a shame that Obama is not revealing his contributions in real time like Ron Paul. Then we could see who really has the most ardent and serious supporters. Go Ron Paul!

Posted by: RamseySt | January 17, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse