Immigration, Change and Fighting the Ron Paul Fight

It's T-minus one day until voting begins in the first official contest of the 2008 election. On the Democratic side, Shailagh Murray and Anne E. Kornblut report on the significant boost political independents could give Sen. Barack Obama in tomorrow's caucus.

Jonathan Weisman reports on the major issues driving the race on both the Republican and Democratic side. For the GOP, it's immigration and the somewhat alarmist mailers that have been crowding mailboxes in Iowa and New Hampshire. For the Democrats, the fight is over the slightly more subtle question of who can be the most compelling agent of change. Voters are ready for a change, Weisman reports, and the top three Democratic candidates are arguing over who can best deliver.

Some voters want even more change, the sweeping variety that only Ron Paul can deliver. Libby Copeland profiles the Paulite army working on behalf of the Texan in the Hawkeye state.

And in this final day before the Iowa caucus, where are the actual Iowa voters?

A bit crowded out by the media circus sent to chronicle their shifting allegiances, it turns out. But Dana Milbank does find at least one voter at a Romney event. He reports: "Surrounded by reporters, a lone man in the back raised his hand. 'Iowa voter!' he called out."

By Washington Post editors  |  January 2, 2008; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Today at The Post
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Midnight Runner Edwards Campaigns All Night
Next: Who Will Win: One Man's (Semi-Educated) Guess

Comments

JakeD-Not everything I type is Satire!
I just try to be a little light at times, and many of my criticisms are directed at the problem, in hopes that by deriding them, the problem will expose it'self!

Sort of like saying" California's great-except for all the Californians!

Believe me, I got real tired of seeing the "California Native" Garbage there, when now that they are moving to Austin, they expect us to welcome them-and we do!

Give me some credit for at least not confusing anyone with my support and why!

It is going to be a Long 10 months, and my support is NOT based on who is popular in some Hick or New England, State in January!

Posted by: rat-the | January 2, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Lonewacko:

At least they encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features ; )

Posted by: JakeD | January 2, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I comment on the Weisman article here:

If you think he's a real reporter and the WaPo is a real newspaper, check out the link. I hope to change your mind.

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | January 2, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

rat-the:

If you weren't so busy posting satire, you would have seen I've always been supporting Romney -- my very first post here was for Romney, but I also can't let false posts against Huckabee stand -- now, if Huckabee can topple Romney in both Iowa and New Hampshire, I will indeed reconsider my support.

Posted by: JakeD | January 2, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

JakeD-YOU are going to make me LOL!

So, now it's Romney? What did Huck do? (Lately?)

Please feel free to join me in saying "Enough" Politics as Usual! The Primaries are a FLAWED system! GOP, use your own friggin brains, and organize said brains! It is a BIG Job! All of you can be easily used! Then, honestly ask yourselves who is best for what role?! Mitt is the Best Choice for the Statesman! Huck is a personable and likable VP! Giuliani and Thompson are very competant "Legal" Minds! McCain is a Military Mind! Heath Care? Army Health care? Uhhhh, DOCTOR Ron Paul? Immigration and Labor Law Advocate? Uhhhh, Tancredo!?

GOP-Weeee don Neeed no Stikin Primaries!

Just Team Up! Start telling Bushie what to do, and tell Colin to dust off his Secretary of State Hat! Offer Dr.Rice a Cabinet Post!

ALL the Primaries are going to do, is allow attrition Voting by the opposition to screw things up!

A "Unity" Government can BEGIN in our own House!

Mitt&Mike!

Everyone LOVES M&M's! ;~)

Posted by: rat-the | January 2, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse