Wanted: A Lawyer for Bernie Kerik

By Matthew Mosk
Bernard Kerik, the embattled former New York top cop and longtime adviser to Republican presidential candidate Rudolph Giuliani, is looking for a new lawyer.

United States District Court Judge Stephen C. Robinson has disqualified Kerik's current lawyer, Kenneth Breen, because of a conflict of interest "so severe that no remedial measure will cure it."

Kerik, who served as police commissioner and was later a business partner in Giuliani's security consulting business, is in the midst of a federal trial in White Plains, N.Y., over allegations that Kerik engaged in tax fraud and deprived the city of his honest services by concealing payments from a contractor with reputed mob links.

"Mr. Kerik is disappointed," Breen said of his former client. "He is reviewing all his options."

Federal prosecutors advised Kerik seven months ago that they were considering calling Breen as a witness in the case to help prove Kerik lied to investigators during a previous prosecution by the State of New York. Breen argued that such a move by the federal prosecutors would violate Kerik's constitutional right to counsel. In a ruling made public today, Robinson called Breen's arguements "simplistic," saying "there are a host of scenarios in which... the conflict would not be addressed."

The judge gave Kerik 30 days to find a new lawyer, a move that could delay Kerik's trial on charges laid out Nov. 8 in a 16-count federal indictment. Kerik faces up to 142 years in prison if convicted.

A delay may not be such bad news for Giuliani, who could probably envision little up-side to having daily coverage of a Kerik corruption trial in the midst of his bid for the presidency.

By Web Politics Editor  |  January 24, 2008; 7:32 PM ET
Categories:  Rudy Giuliani
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Campaign Pulls Negative Spot, Too
Next: The Republicans Debate

Comments

Have any of you ever heard of "Innocent till proven guilty", or maybe you have decided to elect yourselves judge, jury, and executioner's. I do believe that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. However, when it comes to issues that involve allegations, court proceedings, and possible convictions, there is such a thing as due process.
Moreover, for the record, these ARE allegations.

Personally, I keep an open mind in matters such as these. I will wait for Bernie's day in court and for the verdict to be read before beaking-off in public as to his guilt. After all, this is why we have a judicial system in place. If there were not a judicial system in place, those with narrow mind spans would have most of the worlds population found guilty of one thing or another, regardless of the truth. Besides, in the court of public opinion, a conviction carries no weight except for those whom are quick to jump on a bandwagon of single-mindedness and unfounded animosity towards another human being.

Regardless of any wrong doing that, Mr. Kerik is being accused of, guilty or not, it should not take away from all the good that this man has done for the city of New York, or have you all forgotten about that.

I am not saying that the man is innocent nor am I saying he is guilty. I am just saying that I, as an intelligent and fair-minded woman, will wait until all evidence is presented and the legal system has done its job before passing down my own personal verdict in the court of public opinion.
Thanks for listening.

RLS

Posted by: volunteerpopo | February 28, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Moreover, for the record, these ARE allegations.

Thanks for listening.

RLS

Posted by: volunteerpopo | February 28, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Moreover, for the record, these ARE allegations.

Thanks for listening.

RLS

Posted by: volunteerpopo | February 28, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

How about former Westchester DA Jeannine Pirro? Since her husband went to prison and she lost her campaigns for Attorney General and US Senate, she seems like the perfect mouthpiece for Dirty Bernie.
After all, since she didn't know her husband was a gangster who didn't pay his taxes - while she was DA - she can help a jury believe that 'Dirty Bernie' Kerik didn't know the construction firm giving him bribes was owned by the mob.

Posted by: visualthinker7 | January 25, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

How about the lawyer representing Barack Obama's long time buddy Tony Rezko?

Posted by: sam51 | January 25, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Kerik needs a lawyer? Does Hillary Clinton still have her law license? Maybe she could defend him. She praised his nomination to head the Department of Homeland Security, so she must already know plenty about him.

Posted by: wesfromGA | January 24, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse