The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Another Bush Tips His Hat to McCain

By Juliet Eilperin
Just a day after President Bush said nice things about Sen. John McCain, former Florida governor Jeb Bush decided to jump on board his campaign bandwagon.

The president's brother, who wrote McCain a $1,000 check in addition to announcing his public support, called the senator "a patriot and devoted conservative leader" in a statement. "Like no other candidate in the field, John McCain has made tremendous sacrifices for this nation. He is beholden to no interest other than that of the public good. He is determined and steadfast in his commitment to reducing the burden of high taxes, restoring the people's trust in their government, and winning the war against radical Islamic extremists. It is with pride that I announce my endorsement of John McCain for president."

McCain -- who is hoping to marshal as much conservative support as possible in the face of his primary contest with former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee -- thanked Bush right back. "I am very proud to have Jeb Bush's support," McCain said in a statement. "He has a distinguished record of conservative leadership and I admire his dedicated service to the people of Florida. He makes a great addition to our growing team of Republican leaders."

Jeb Bush is not the only presidential confidant to embrace McCain in recent days: Former top Bush adviser Karl Rove recently sent McCain a $2,300 check. McCain joked with reporters on Friday that he suspected Rove had been waiting a while to send the check over.

"Yeah, Karl gave us a check," McCain told reporters on his campaign plane as it headed from Wichita to Seattle. "I saw the moths fly out."

Despite the razzing, McCain said he would welcome Rove's counsel as he tries to wrap up the GOP nomination and take on the Democrats. "Nobody denies that he's one of the smartest political minds in America," the senator said. "I'd be happy to get his advice."

Posted at 4:55 PM ET on Feb 11, 2008
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Huckabee's Campaign Keeps on Ticking | Next: Obama Campaigns at Univ. of Maryland

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I really wish the Bushies would try NOT to damage any Contenders for the Presidency like that!
THEY have collectively done enough damage already-Including the IDIOTIC Amnesty Bill!
Let McCain try to separate himself from the association guilt he already has!

He might actually still win me over as a supporter instead of as a nemesis! SEE, I feel that McCain just needs to be helped to see the light(s).

This BIG Stick might help me.

BANG-BANG-BANG!!!! McCain, are you seeing the lights? BANG-BANG-BANG!!!!! There, have some more!

Now that I have YOUR attention, it is an EMPLOYMENT issue! BANG!BANG!BANG!!!! AN EMPLOYMENT ISSUE!!!!!

Criminal Employers in SKILLED Trades like Construction and Autos NOT verifying proper ID's on W-4's! THEY need to be FINED $1,000 per Employee, per Day!

BAG!BANG!BANG!!!! Day Labor Assemblies are BAD!!! Industrial Temporary Help Companies are GOOD!!!!

One facilitates Un-Documented Labor, the other supplies Temporary Insured, Payrolled, and verified Day Workers!

NOW, Fetch Mitt! Go Boy! Fetch the Mittster for Veep!

Good McCain!

Who says you can't teach an old mangy Dog New Tricks?

You just need a BIG Stick!

BANG!BANG!BANG!!!! Goooood McCain! ;~)

Posted by: rat-the | February 12, 2008 1:23 PM

To thebobob-

You write that "during the Florida primary Jeb Bush had his foot soldiers out pulling people in for Romney," and that he is therefore hypocritical for now supporting McCain.

It seems to me that because Romney is now out of the race, it is completely appropriate for Jeb Bush to support another candidate.

Romney dropped out of the race to pave the way for McCain. Jeb Bush is only doing what all x-Romney supporters should do. Give their vote and financial support to McCain.

Posted by: hukolb | February 12, 2008 12:48 PM

Posted by: stan_h_zx | February 11, 2008 10:50 PM

Here is a talking point. In the past, when powerful nations had leaders that were forced out, the people often sent them and their families into exile, to prevent them from trying to assume power again.

If the Bushes were forced into exile, where would you send them?

I say the lower ninth ward of New Orleans.

Posted by: steveboyington | February 11, 2008 9:56 PM

"John, Jeb here. Hope I find you conservative."

"Jeb! I couldn't be more conservative, thanks. How's Mrs Bush and the young conservatives?"

"Oh, they're doing real conservative, John. Listen, I want to offer you my endorsement."

"Why, Jeb! That's damned conservative of you."

"Anything for a fellow conservative."

You can always tell when it's GOP primary season.

Posted by: kenonwenu | February 11, 2008 8:58 PM

Any way we can draft the Bush family and ship them en masse to Iraq for the duration?

After all, they LIED us into this war ...

Posted by: WillSeattle | February 11, 2008 8:41 PM

One more reason to hope McCain wins: he'll be the clear interitor of evrry mistake made by W. If a Democrat gets in, Bush will be spacegating them relentlessly from the moment they take office. If it's McCain, perhaps he'll be a little less eager.

No, he'll still blame McCain.

Posted by: dfc102 | February 11, 2008 7:32 PM

Typical hypocritical Bush family move. During the Florida primary Jeb Bush had his foot soldiers out pulling people in for Romney. Jeb wants to run in the future and since McCain will head the party until then he's switching flags. These Bush's are total creeps.

Posted by: dyinglikeflies | February 11, 2008 7:10 PM

And why should we support anyone who supported George Bush as he methodically screwed up America domestically and foreign policy wise. What do think? More of the same?? Another 8 years?

Posted by: thebobbob | February 11, 2008 6:39 PM

best reason not to vote for McCain I've heard so far !

Posted by: uniwttingcattledotcom | February 11, 2008 6:04 PM

I don't know the context, but when someone references money and moths, they're generally attempting to say that the person giving the money is cheap. While I might be wrong about how McCain meant it, I also wouldn't be surprised if WaPo's reporters can't even get that right.

Likewise, looking at the possible long-range plans of the Bush family is probably too much to ask of the WaPo:

Posted by: LonewackoDotCom | February 11, 2008 6:02 PM