Fred Thompson Backs McCain

By Michael D. Shear
Fred Thompson, the one-time Republican presidential candidate, endorsed Sen. John McCain Friday, calling on the party to "close ranks" behind the presumed nominee.

"This is no longer about past preferences or differences. It is about what is best for our country and for me that means that Republican should close ranks behind John McCain," Thompson said in a statement reported by the Associated Press.

Thompson's endorsement was expected. The two men were colleagues for years in the Senate and shared what associates called a friendship. But while he was in the race, Thompson had bristled at the idea that he was going to drop out and endorse McCain.

The endorsement now may help McCain to coalesce the factions of the party around him. Thompson, who represented Tennessee in the Senate for eight years, is thought of well in the South, an area that McCain has not done well in.

By Web Politics Editor  |  February 8, 2008; 7:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campaigning in Washington State, Obama Gets Gregoire
Next: N.M. Votes Still Being Tallied

Comments

ahhh...i love choices. here we have a selection of idiots, some dumber than others, and none of them have a vision. Sorry, but Reagan was good in his time, just like FDR was in his. Times and circumstances change, get a clue Ron Paul, we have debt that needs to be paid off, otherwise we shall forever be slaves to our enemies, so if you want change Obama, why not pay off this debt instead of taxing those of us who work hard to get what we have, and leave us with nothing but change, you racist elitist pig. Hey, let's talk about character, Mike Huckabee has it, but he is so blind to the fact that the GOP wants nothing to do with him, and that the paty he pledges his allegiance to is a party of pharisees, using government to impose fake Christian morality on others. Fair Tax, interesting concept, but it will not work in this day and age. Fred Thompson...waffles on pro-life, will not grow a pair and say "hey, medical science and dna says a fetus is a child and a unique human, aborting them is murder," he shows his true colors in his Meet the Press interview. Too little to late you hack! Your grumpy demeanor, and you mudslinging got you what you deserved, a loss. Hey Hillary, why not tell us the truth? You love power, and you will crush, slander, and do whatever is necessary to remove anything or anyone who is in your way. What a great rolemodel for the feminist. She made it on the coat tails of her idiot husband. McCain...you have at least some experience in foreign policy and are a legit hero, unlike our current butt-head, George W(orst Republican President since Nixon) Bush. So you fought for our countries freedom, and now you want to censor speech with fairness doctrine and destroy our nationhood to allow law brakers amnesty!?! I am tired of you PC garbage, your infringement on freethought and free speech. Tired of your old time "religion" only use it for political gain, and I am tired of the PC garbage of the fascist, intolerant, marxist liberals who do not understand why Americans don't want their politics. We do not want to be like Europe, that is why we left! I prepose that we elect no more profssional politicians, and let us elect people, the common people, people who actually have to solve problems, but of coarse that would be out of the two party system's agenda now wouldn't it.

Posted by: me | May 6, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I am disappointed that Senator Thompson has endorsed McCain. I supported Senator Thompson financially and with as much cheerleading as I could among my family and friends because I believed in his message. I do not believe in McCain and I do not trust him. His positions defy logic and common sense and I will not support him. I will sit this election out because contrary to what party leaders say, my ''no vote'' will count in protest because I am no longer willing to hold my nose when I vote. When more Americans, Republicans, Democrats and Independents, refuse to condone the raping of our great nation by the political class by accepting candidates they shove down our throats in the interest of party unity and power, then we may see improvement. It will be a rough ride until then. By the way, to the best of my knowledge this will be the first time in my life, since I have been eligible to do so, that I will not vote. I am 62 years old and I am sick to say it but I really believe that I have no choice.

John H.

Montville, Ohio

Posted by: mscindustriesinc | February 28, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Nothing could get me enthusiastic about McCain for president, unless he picked Thompson for VP.

I might even donate to his campaign if Thompson was on the ticket.

Posted by: ol_gar | February 14, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

If Mccane takes anyone but Thompson as a running mate I will have problems voting for the ticket.

Posted by: terry4beers | February 13, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I think McCain & Thompson make a perfect Republican Conservative mix. I also think they are the only team that can beat Obama & whoever he selects.

Terry James

Posted by: terry4beers | February 13, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

McCain is, at best, a liberal Republican.

John McCain funded by Soros since 2001
Candidate's Reform Institute also accepted funds from Teresa Kerry

Funded by the one and only Soros? Are you kidding?????

and...to add 'injury to insult':

McCain's campain has the radical open borders, Mexico first Juan Hernandez advising him.
From that same article above:
"The Reform Institute still employs the McCain campaign's Hispanic outreach director, Juan Hernandez, as a senior fellow of its Comprehensive Immigration Reform Initiative."

Why do conservatives put up with these liberal Republicans? Why must we put up with so called Independant's voting in the Republican primaries? Is it no wonder a closet liberal like McCain would get the nomination?

Time for principle over party, IMHO.

Posted by: rxsid70 | February 12, 2008 5:34 AM | Report abuse

McCain needs a VP at least 20 years his junior, Fred is not the one. I live in TN and Fred Thompson did absolutley nothing for me politically. His character in Law & Order was mediocre. If he would accept it, McCain needs to pick Newt Gingrich. That's the only way I could vote for McCain and even at that, I'd hold my nose then go home and take a shower.

Posted by: aaronro | February 11, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

FRED THOMPSON.....WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT HE TURNED OUT TO BE!!! HIM SUPPORTING McCAIN? ONE LOSER BACKING ANOTHER LOSER. CONSERVATIVES ARE ONLY GOING TO VOTE FOR A REAL CONSERVATIVE. GO BACK TO ARIZONA McCAIN AND RETIRE!!
GO HUCKABEE!!!!!!!

DEE

Posted by: darnellfletcher | February 10, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson backs McCain? It's the clueless backing the more than clueless. Between the two, I'll have to admit, Thompson came up with slightly fewer counterfactuals than McCain, but only because he was the lazier of the two. McCain-Thompson? Bring it on!

Posted by: sam5 | February 10, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

i would never support a mccain/huckabee ticket. that would be a nightmare for fiscal conservatives. look at huckabee's arkansas record, with an increase of almost 1 billion in the general obligation debt. yikes!

Posted by: slrea | February 10, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Thompson's endorsement was only expected by the spinning and uninformed.

Fred has never compromised his principles for friend or foe. He did not endorse McCain until he was the inevitable nominee where we have no choice other than allow one of two lunatic fringe freshmen senators who have absolutely no qualifications nor experience for the highest office of our land.

Time to learn what's going on here;

How the Republican Party Committed National Suicide By JB Williams

Who Hijacked the Primaries? by Brett Winterble

Posted by: Winghunter | February 10, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

"if McCain was actually a "straight talker," he would have told the CPAC crowd that he supports right-wing judges who routinely side with government and big business over the rights of individual Americans every single time."

by the way, let's assume for the moment, that McCain does actually appoint conservative 'constitutional' judges to the bench. what difference would that make with:

1) eroded national sovereignty (SEA treaty, amnesty for illegals, the coming North American Union, etc)
2) trillions of dollars in debt/bankrupted country
3) major financial and manufacturing assets in this country owned and controlled by foreign countries (ex. China & Arab countries).

Are you putting all your bets on the Supreme Court being able to reverse that transfer of our sovereignty to foreign countries, to put a stop to the totally unfair trade imbalance and on and on? I think that's wishful thinking. We need all 3 branches of gov't thinking and ACTING like that...not just one that 'hopefully' would.

Why do we attempt to secure so many other nations, while leaving our own back door busted wide open? Perhaps it's for the almighty buck....which by the way could be point 4) A dollar that is becoming more and more worthless.

Ironically, the sellout of our country is yielding them less and less in their 'return.'

Don't get my point wrong, Hillary and Obama would be disasters in their own ways. We really need something better than the current Republi-crat or Democrat establishment politicians. Holding our noses and 'voting for the lesser of two evils', so called, is no longer something I'm willing to do. I for one, will stand on principle and not along party lines for the sake of the 'party' that is screwing us in the end anyway.

" In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

Posted by: rxsid70 | February 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Should we be surprised about the endorsement? Thompson supported McCain/Feingold, supported giving social security to illegals, opposed employer verification of illegals and voted against GunOwnersAm positions 14 of 33 times. Reread "Sell Out, the inside story of President Clinton's Impeachment" by David P. Schippers (p.18 & 21)-"appeasement". Thompson sided with the Dems! According to WallBuilders voter guide Thompson opposes a Human Life Amendment and opposed DOMA - he is not a conservative! Thompson is an opportunist, and hopefully, never returns to Washington in any capacity!

Posted by: dottiebrkf | February 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

If you'll remember, we got Scalia and Roberts. With out McCain we may have got none!

Posted by: jimkareni | February 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

McCain tried to slow down/stop conservative nominations to the bench. McAmnesty will say anything to get elected. Typical establishment politician. Press 2 for espaniol.

Actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: rxsid70 | February 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The whole election can be summed up by this: Who would you prefer name the next Supreme Court Justice, Clinton, Obama or McCain? You know the first 2 will name liberals, McCain has already said he would name a conservative.

Posted by: ayfkm | February 10, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

When Fred Thompson announced his withdraw he said he would support the nominee,so why are we so shocked and hold such reservations about his statement of McCain? He let us know from then on his intentions. I will support the nominee for the GOP because we can make the difference in our state elections to the House ,and Senate. All is not lost but it is up to the party to find and elect the conservatives in each state to represent what WE want our government to do about the issues we are facing that is going to decide the path we take as a country.

Posted by: thomas6341 | February 10, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

My bumper sticker says don't blame me I supported Thompson! And I will continue to support him. I'm a mouthbreather like the rest of you (a name bestowed upon me by democrats while I protested the local Democratic convention hosted by Michael Moore.) Get over it brothers If you want to make a statment put close pins on your McCain sign in your front yard!

Posted by: jimkareni | February 10, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Hillary is fond of claiming to have been a key player in the formulation of Clinton Foreign Policy: 9/11 was a direct result of the Clinton Administration's feckless responses to the numerous Al-Qaida provocations and terrorist assaults against our national interests; as well as, Clinton's inexplicable temerity in refusing to take Osama bin Laden into captivity when offered several times by the Sudanese. Clinton then exercised little more than his jawbone as bin Laden trained literally thousands of terrorists in his Afghan camps. All of which, convinced bin Laden that he could strike our homeland with relative impunity. The potential for success in bin Laden's planned assault on our homeland was significantly enhanced by the infamous Gorelick memo which the Clinton Administration promulgated to prohibit any terrorist information exchange between our FBI and CIA intelligence operatives. However, history will record the most heinous assault on America's national security interests by a U.S. president as Clinton's transfer of our most advanced missile guidance technology to the CHICOM for a few campaign shekels. Does any rational person really want to return the Clinton cabal/scandals to the White House?

Greg Neubeck

Posted by: gneubeck | February 10, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm a lifelong conservative who thought that Thompson was "the real thing.
I feel betrayed. I contributed and was prepared to travel in support of Thompson's campaign.
I became suspicious of Thompson's sincerity when his people seemed to "give up" right after the SC vote. If they were serious they would have been orgnizing for future primaries BEFORE SC. He seems to have stayed in just long enough to drain votes from other conservatives so as to give his buddy McCain a major boost over conservatives who were serious about winning.
What a disappointment. I will vote for Hillary rather than cast a vote for McCain. At least with her in office the Republicans in Congress might slow down her agenda. With McCain they will just "go along" and play the game, no matter what the cost to the nation.

Posted by: RMCOLE1 | February 10, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this endorsement would have had impact on the race -- if Thompson didn't make it just days after McCain narrowly lost the Tennessee primary. I guess Fred '08 ends with one lesson: timing matters.

Posted by: danwolter | February 10, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I am disappointed in Fred Thompson for endorsing McCain. Under no circumstances can McCain be called a conserative. He has to many left wing pals.No matter what Fred says I will not vote for McCain.I am tired of holding my nose and voting,not this time.

Posted by: savage24 | February 10, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

....and no, I'm totally against a 'pull out from Iraq now' policy. That would be dangerous. However, I do think that we need to be out of there within the next 5 years or so. We simply just can't afford these overseas deployments on that scale. Where's the money coming from? Oh yeah...the Arabs and Chinese.

Bring 100% of the military home. Use the money 'saved' over time to modernize the military even more...even faster. Get a better contract for the F-22's and build 2000 of them, not 200. Build 4 to 6 additional next generation carrier battle groups. build a reliable 'missile defence shield' as well as state of the art body armor for our marines and soldiers.

Then...tell the world in crystal clear terms. you attack us, we will devastate you and do it overwhelmingly and without these ridiculous rules of engagement our military is 'playing' by.

Posted by: rxsid70 | February 10, 2008 6:07 AM | Report abuse

I can't back McCain for 1 main, major reason. His push for Amnesty. He says he's heard the voice of the people. He says he would 'secure the border first.' But he leaves out what he would do 2nd. That is, to grant amnesty to 20+ million people who are in this country illegally. How could that possibly be good for this country? Reagan did it back in the 80's, and it was what...something like 6+ million? Where did that get us???? Press 2 for Spanish and literally full school districts in this country where no students learn in English. Wonderful. Great for unity huh? Who honestly thinks that McCain's amnesty would be the last? In another 20 years we could be looking at 30 or 40 million additional illegals 'demanding' amnesty. When does it end? Who has a spine on this issue? Perhaps the people of this country just don't care anymore.

Not to mention, he tried to block or slow down some of Bush's best moments (haven't been too many). As in his nominee's for the Supreme Court and his tax cuts. Why would McCain want to allow the Bush tax cuts to lapse? Is that a conservative thing to do? I guess he'll need more money to spend on the additional wars he's wanting to wage and to keep the U.S. military in large numbers in the middle east for 100 years+ Heck...why not, we're still in Germany (60+ years), Japan (60+ years) and South Korea (50+ years)....and for what? So we can bankrupt our country while at the same time have those country's younger generations spit in our face. Wonderful. Doesn't matter anyway...the Chinese and Arabs own us and we know it. Time to learn new languages and customs if you want to survive.

Ron Paul supporter - more like our founding fathers than any other national politician out there today.

Posted by: rxsid70 | February 10, 2008 5:57 AM | Report abuse

The Huckster should be offered not VP but Interior Secretary or some other Cabinet Post to do with Infrastructure which he liked to talk about building - let's see if he does it!

As for VP, I like Gen Colin Powell. He diffuses the Goldwater '64 Panic issue. He's reassuring. No Neocon. Restoration of Realism. Integrity. Steals Obama's uniqueness!
I hope McCain goes for virtue too and character, like his book, "Destiny is Character." When will you guys in the press give McCain a break? CNN's the worst. Other maybes? Yah Maybe Fred Thompson. Or Jack Kemp. Or Stormin Norman! Go Mac Go! Clean up Dodge!

Posted by: PopeLeoTheGreat | February 10, 2008 2:56 AM | Report abuse

McCain is more conservative and honest than Huckabee. I was an avid Fred supporter and plan to vote for McCain on Tuesday. The CW that Huckabee is the conservative alternative to McCain is ridiculous. Huckabee is solidly conservative on social issues, and that's it. On security he has ZERO experience and fiscally he is a big government taxer. He also destroyed the republican party of Arkansas. 80% of the republican legislators in AR backed Thompson for president.

If McCain picks Huckabee for veep, I will vote for Obama or Libertarian.

Posted by: nats.tickets | February 9, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson could bring "common sense" to
the table regarding the "key" border control issue, if he were to be "anointed" by McCain as his V.P. and asked to draw on his legal and philosophical skills to craft a sensible fix for the "unwelcome, gentle invasion" from Mexico. A mix, frankly, of AMNESTY without a vote, for those very long present,(8 or more years), & the ATTRITION PRESSURE, proposed by Thompson on those who came here during the BUSH administration, would fly, with the "criminal element" being targeted for deportation, and the other recent arrivals merely pressured, and deprived of their jobs. We need an IMMIGRATION CZAR, for the next 8 years, and V.P. Thompson has the fairness and toughness to make McCAIN administration work some "tough love" on our new, uninvited, American residents.

Posted by: sharper3d | February 9, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to Politics 101! As many feel betrayed, one must ask is thier any other option? As the pundints claim thier was no clear conservative in the race, many of us know that man was Fred Thompson. The only true salvation McCain can now recieve would be to show his true repentence and recruit this fine American and his friend Senator Fred Thompson as his choice for VP!
This would then begin a time of healing for the Republican Party!

Posted by: gary | February 9, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree with sharper3d: Fred would make an excellent addition to the ticket, and it would be a huge step towards getting more Conservatives to show up in the fall for McCain to pick THE most conservative candidate to fill out the ticket.

If McCain picks Huckabee, it will so tick off the base that it could easily result in a Democrat landslide. And that would be catastrophic for this country. If McCain was serious about what he said to CPAC then he will not take yet another occasion to stick his finger in the eyes of the conservatives he will sorely need to win.

Posted by: cwaldie | February 9, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I am not disppointed in Fred for endorsing McCain. McCain will be the nominee unless Huckabee can get 83% of the remaining delegates. McCain needs 40 something %. Fred is a Republican and of course he will endorse a Republican. I think what he is saying is that we need to unite to defeat Clinton/Obama. I am hopeful that McCain will ask Fred to be his VP, but according to people I know who had a Founders conference call with Fred after he withdrew, Fred is not interested in a VP spot. Who knows what will happen. This has been a strange and disappointing Presidential race. I will still vote for Fred in my primary and then I will vote for the GOP Nominee in November.

P.S. I would be very disappointed if Fred had endorsed Huckabee.

Posted by: gmacharma | February 9, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Stevlic and RickSunderland might want to examine the kool-aid they've been drinking a bit more closely. Since when is a Senator with an 82% ACU rating one of the "most liberal" out there, or a liberal at all.

Certain conservatives with a personal dislike for John McCain have conflated his occasional apostasies on certain issues with an overall liberal record. This is rubbish and sadly the Democrats are loving every minute of it. Those commentators will do far more damage to the conservative agenda in their obsession to bring down McCain than McCain ever will in the White House.

This nonsense should end.

Posted by: speebek | February 9, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

No, VP is not the best place for Fred. The best place for Fred would be as AG or Supreme Court Justice.

He can do a lot more, a lot longer there. Plus if McCain let it be known that Fred was his choice for AG or at the top of his list for SC Justice, that would go a long way toward mollifying the conservative base.

Though it would probably give the Democrats some heartburn.

Posted by: schmuck281 | February 9, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

"Republican should close ranks behind John McCain"

This, to me, sounds less like an endorsement of McCain than an endorsement of solidarity and maintaining Republican control of the White House. Had Romney or even Huckabee emerged as the presumptive nominee I can easily imagine the same sort of statement from Fred.

Posted by: submandave | February 9, 2008 1:17 AM | Report abuse

If John McCain adopts Fred Thompson's immigration plan and tax plan, then I can support McCain and accept Fred's endorsement.

I HOPE that Fred gave McCain a stern talking to in that southern drawl of his about how liberal McCain's choices have been lately and that he'd better listen to the base.

If Fred is the VP, and McCain takes up his immigration plan, then I can easily support the ticket of McCain-Thompson.

Posted by: artbyruth | February 9, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

stevlic, what alternative do you suggest? At this point, the next president will either be McCain, Hillary, or Obama.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have McCain - hopefully with VP Fred running point on key conservative issues.

Posted by: izaraurora | February 8, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I love Fred, but a Veep role won't and shouldn't happen. A cantankerous, old, white senator from the South doesn't balance a cantankerous, old, white senator from the West. Tennessee will vote Republican anyway, so Fred doesn't provide any electoral advantage. Fuller discussion here:

Posted by: ExurbanJon | February 8, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

sharper3d makes some good points. While I roundly loathe the highly liberal Mc Cain, having the reliably conservative Thompson would make the ticket far easier to support.

Posted by: ricksunderland | February 8, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson let us down again tonight. I was a big Fred supporter. I voted for him in my primary even after he had dropped out. This doesn't make me more likely to vote for McCain, it just makes even me more disappointed in Fred.

Stand Strong.....for about two weeks, then I'm going to endorse one of the most liberal Republicans out there.

Posted by: stevlic | February 8, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Fred Thompson might be a logical V.P. for McCain. He is a southerner, smart, and has a better reputation for a thoughtful resolution of the border and illegal migrant issue. They are friends, and Fred did not lay into McCain about their differences. It would allow someone like me to vote for McCain, where I cannot do so if the V.P. has a soft approach to the border issue like Giuliani or Huckabee. Amnesty is not justified for recent border crashers, say those here since 2000. I would go along with a non-voting legal status for people who came before 2000 and managed to stay out of prison or served no more than 30 days in the county jail. I assume that maybe 6 million would qualify for NON-VOTING AMNESTY. The other ten million should be pressured to pull up stakes and leave, or face deportation, if arrested for any misdemeanor crime, or I.D. theft. Those of us who are hard line on McCain will trust him more if his friend, FRED is tasked to address this issue as V.P. Amnesty may indeed be part of the solution, but the border fence, must be built as a double affair, and be at least 1000 miles long by the end of McCain's 4 year term. If FRED is on the ticket, and this policy were promised, I would then be able to cast a vote for the "Maverick" candidate!

Posted by: sharper3d | February 8, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

CAN MRS CLINTON LOSE?...YESAMAZING ARTICLE OF THE WALL STREET JOURNAL.

Posted by: laplumelefirmament | February 8, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Obama didn't help him that much in Massachusetts ; )

Posted by: JakeD | February 8, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse