Huckabee Wins Kansas Caucus

While other Huckabee fans voted in Kansas, the candidate himself met supporters in Maryland. (Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post).

By Michael D. Shear
Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee easily won the Kansas caucus Saturday, defeating John McCain despite the Senator's vast lead among delegates in the race for the Republican presidential nomination.

With about half of the Kansas precincts reporting, Huckabee is on track to win with 61 percent of the vote, well ahead of McCain's 24 percent and 11 percent for Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

The vote for Huckabee is another sign that McCain has yet to win over the nation's conservative, heartland voters despite having dispatched most of his rivals during the first five weeks of the year.

Former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney both dropped out of the race, essentially conceding the nomination to McCain.

But Huckabee has refused, saying again Saturday that he will stay in the race until either he or McCain has the number of delegates required to clinch the nomination at the party's national convention in Minnesota in early September. Huckabee has 198 delegates, compared to McCain's 719, but he rejected the idea that he can't win.

In an speech to conservative activists in Washington Saturday morning, he said "I didn't major in math," he said at the Conservative Political Action Conference meeting. "I majored in miracles, and I still believe in them."

Huckabee has decided to continue his improbable campaign in the face of a Republican party that finally seems willing to coalesce around McCain after a year in which many conservatives eyed him warily.

In the last several days, a steady stream of party leaders, elected officials and others have endorsed McCain, giving his candidacy the aura of inevitability.

But Huckabee told reporters after his speech that he will wait until he or McCain wins the needed 1,191 delegates. "I won't drop out until at least that happens," he said. "Then we'll see."

By Washington Post editors  |  February 9, 2008; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nebraskans Overwhelm Caucus Capacity
Next: Clinton Calls Shuster Comment Part of 'Troubling Pattern'

Comments

PUPPET: One whose acts are controlled by an outside force or influence (In this case, Israel's).

SYNONYMS: Obama, Clinton, Gen. Buck Turgidson, Huckabee, MSM etc.

ANTONYMS: Ron Paul.

How much brain power does it take to comprehend something so SIMPLE????????

Posted by: tarzan1921990 | February 11, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Huckabee, had to be out of state when the voting was going on, but am so relieved that he WON!
LETS PRAY THAT GOD WILL GRANT THE WISHES OF HIS PEOPLE

Posted by: dwwlcj | February 10, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I do not recall exactly whom the speaker was for Huckabee. At least is was someone I am not familiar with, BUT Pastor Terry Fox was in the audience and that could mean that the R.R. was pulling for him or simply the logic that Fox is a conservative.

On a personal note: As a person of faith I found this disturbing, Mc Cain is a Washington insider whom I know full well is a Neoconservative that wishes to continue the "Bush Doctrine. Ron Paul is a Libertarian whom wishes to roll back this country to a passed grace and it is hoped that we have grown as a species from then. But the only candidate whom campaign has reached out on a personal level and done what I would call "dirty Politics " by smearing his rival behind the scenes and not in an open way that gives his opponent a chance to respond. Is the one whom is portrayed as the upright, Christian and honest candidate Mike Huckabee. His claim that he has no control over the "push poll calls" sound somewhat like the armed Robber whom after killing the store clerk claims it was not him. It was the gun that killed the clerk. The robber's hand just happen to be on it at the time! It is an effrontery to my faith, my religion and my denomination.

Posted by: writerdog | February 10, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Judicial Watch have not found "14 ethics violations" but rather "complaints" against Mike Huckabee. Its different. These are unsubstantiated. But thanks for the heads up.

It should be mentioned that this site puts several of the major candidates on the list: Hillary Clinton, Obama, Huckabee and Giuliani.
John McCain is not on the list.

It basically informs us of what the scandals would be should each these people be raised to national prominence by the primaries.

Posted by: stepheneslater | February 10, 2008 5:04 AM | Report abuse

First, I need to say that it is a sad day to see Mike Huckabee win anything. I am glad that he beat Mc Insane though. But when it comes to Ron Paul? What is it with people? Don't they RESEARCH? I had NO PROBLEM finding out that Mike Huckabee was voted in by JUDICIAL WATCH to their top 10 most corrupt politicians of 2007 list. Oh yes, they tell about his FOURTEEN ETHICS VIOLATIONS while he was governor of Arkansas. And then what about his TAX INCREASES? I live in Arkansas and have to SLAVE another $1,100+ per year to support my family of 6 due to the TAX INCREASES Mike Huckabee put upon MY shoulders! Thanks folks! Now can we find any ethics violations for Ron Paul? How about the fact he doesn't carry his "Christianity" around on his collar? How about checking out Mike Huckabees BAND he plays in and the SONGS he sings that are so full of sex and drugs you have to ask WHO IS THIS GUY? I'll take Paul. YOU lemmings take Mike.

Posted by: markr | February 10, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Just as others have commented on the injustices, unfairness, down-right-immoral behavior that the MSM (which the current government is just as guilty of) has consistently used to discount the electability of Huckabee, more so was thrown at Ron Paul. Now I see Huckabee presenting (stealing - oh sorry, Huckabee wears his religion on his sleeve - borrowing) the great knowledge of Ron Paul in his speeches! Huckabee is FAR from qualified to step foot into the mess that the neocons have made of this country. He just isn't experienced enough, does not possess any history in governing that could give one hope of the abilities required to rescue this country, and surely isn't smart enough. He has nice dimples, plays the bass, has a pleasant enough personality, but that will not keep this country alive, neither will having faith in God. (Remember, the Constitution reads that there must be a separation of church and state. Bush said God lead his decisions to invade Iraq, for example.) I really hate to watch another person get treated so unfairly, it truly does not reflect well on our country either. My great solace is that I have joined a Revolution that is fair, just, moral, compassionate, strong, thinking, persistent, young, and old, united, enlightened, but mostly - Committed! - to bring true Liberty back to the people. Ron Paul will go down in history (quickly) as being the most selfless and wise politician to stand-up to big government and the MSM; energize, unite and ignite the courage in so many citizens to stand-up and start the fight to retrieve our Liberties, and restore our Constitution of the United States. It is a shame that the MSM (for BIG government and BIG corporations benefit only) has chosen Billary as our next leader. It has been obvious for some time: the country wants change - so no Republican will be voted into the Whitehouse, they are already comfortable with the Clintons and can get whatever they want from them (and just how was Bill not impeached?). It is almost too obvious, take off the rose colored glasses. It is going to be a very long four years. I'm off to read my latest book selection: How to survive the imminent economic collapse.

Posted by: lnsk5432 | February 9, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

SHUCKS...I AINT VOTING FOR HUCK!!!! RON PAUL AND ONLY RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rmcnnlly | February 9, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I must have missed it: was there a flashing flag over this post that screamed: ALL TROLLS COMMENT HERE!!!???

Posted by: moon_light_graphics_2004 | February 9, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Ron Paul is the only true pro life candidate running. He wants to save all human life. Fetus to soldiers. Yes soldiers are a form of life. I was a combat infantryman myself once. I wish everyone would listen to his message. He is the only candidate that makes sense. remember WAR IS NOT PRO LIFE.

Posted by: grunt68_69 | February 9, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I just got home from my Washington State Caucus and Huckabee was very strong. We are in this to win! This is going to the convention. I can't wait to hear what the media and even the supposed conservative talk people will be saying, or eating crow. Huckabee is happening!

He is solidly Pro Life! No questions! No Flip Flops! (Hope for the unborn)

He is the most experienced candidate! (Balanced budgets not just voting against tax increases)

He is bringing new life to the Republican party! (I am back in the game)

He is a man of convictions! (No backing down about his religious or moral backbone)

So, when will the real conservatives finally vote for a REAL conservative? James Dobson finally endorsed Huck. Now for the rest of you...Let's get going!

Posted by: duranclan15 | February 9, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I too, am shocked that washpost would exclude Dr. Ron Paul. (Then again, nothing MSM does any more shocks me). If RP does not get the nomination, I hope Huckabee does. If McAmnesty gets it, I will be writing in Ron Paul's name.
If the media really wants to pick our candidates for us, make it less blatantly obvious.

Posted by: jaa1169 | February 9, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul is the only candidate with sound, appropriate and conservative fiscal ideas:

Ron Paul & Economics - Saving the Economy; Saving America:

Not to mention he *would* follow the U.S. Constitution(.)

Posted by: davidmwe | February 9, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I would like to challenge this article!!
1st
I believe in fair journalism!
2nd
I know that Ron Paul is a major threat to both Huckabee and McCain.
How do I know that?
Because he has beaten the both in various states. The media is not coving his victories but I will share them with you here:
2nd place in Nevada

2nd place in Louisiana (possibly first once they get it sorted out)

2nd place in Montana

2nd place in Maine

3rd place in Utah

3rd place in North Dakota

There is about 21 more states left to vote,

He has plenty of money,

No one has even close to enough delegates to take the nomination,

He has the only true Republican stance on the issues,

He is the only candidate who believes our government should follow ALL of the Constitution,

Quit?

Not even close. Keep fighting, Ron Paul is!

Posted by: pcsarahjane | February 9, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, where is Ron Paul in all the coverage? Hmm, he's outlasted every one else like McCain and Huckabee. Raised more money than McCain and Huckabee, breaking two long standing fund raising records-the final tally was $6.1 million in one day. No PAC money or lobbyist money, with an average donation of about $60-now THAT'S grassroots support. Received more money from military donors then McCain and Huckabee. The only one getting all the youth voters and new Republican Party members. The only one to not vote for a tax increase and an unbalanced budget. The only one addressing the dollars while now serving on the finance committee itself, not to mention discussing the folly of our global military presence financially. The only one rationally explaining the failure of Social Security.

It only begs the question, why is all the Ron Paul coverage a few token stats and maybe a name mention. SOunds rather odd, wouldn't you say? Or, are you avoiding doing any coverage on purpose? What is it you don't want us to hear? Hmmm...

Posted by: kantnow | February 9, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

We are thrilled with his big win in Kansas! Mike Huckabee is a winner in every sense of the word! I was proud to cast my vote for him on Super Tuesday, and hope that all true conservative voters will see that he the ONLY conservative running! His issues are clear, and come from true heartfelt convictions - not mere 'change of beliefs' in order to try to court and win the conservative base of the party!! We need him in the White House!! GO MIKE HUCKABEE!!!

Posted by: chucksgirl87 | February 9, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

This is INCREDIBLE ... great news. We at Silent Souls for Huckabee have been praying up a storm, asking the intercession of the Holy Innocents in heaven. If you are a woman who regrets her abortion and now are supporting Huckabee, please stop by. We are requesting all the prayers we can get:

Silent Souls for Huckabee

Posted by: tacotoole | February 9, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Mike Huckabee should not have any problems since George Bush is supporting McCain. I McCain any smart, he should distance himself from Bush or tell him not to connest himself to him in any way. After that maybe he will win, but until then, Huckabee is aproaching fast.

Posted by: BOBSTERII | February 9, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow that's terrific news!!!
After the majority of the media tried to sell us Romney, and failed, Huckabee has risen to the top only on his good ideas and the grassroot efforts of his volunteers. He has had no positive press from the major news networks.
He has been the only conservative in the race since the beginning. I'm excited that the American people vote with their minds, instead of listening to Rush,Hannity, Coulter and the rest of the big-shot "experts". Go Huckabee!!!

Posted by: JBfromFL | February 9, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

That's not a WIN - That's a STATEMENT!! It IS time for republicans to "coalesce" around their candidate. That candidate is Mike Huckabee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: michaelLitz | February 9, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

By-The-Way: Why do your charts on the home page showing the % of the precincts reporting and what % "each" candidate got for Kansas (for instance) only shows McCain and Huckabee?

Where is Ron Paul on the chart?
My goodness, he has 11% of the votes there as of now, as your article above at least points out! So should the front-page chart really...

Posted by: davidmwe | February 9, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

This is very interesting indeed. This was sort of brewing though... The chart on this link here, shows that people were visiting Huckabee's web site more than any other Republican candidate and certainly more than McCain's:

Looks like people, at least those in Kansas are looking further than whom they are told is the front-runner.

Posted by: davidmwe | February 9, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse