MoveOn Backs Obama

MoveOn PAC member Catherine Giovannoni (C) of Arlington, Virgina joins other members and supporters as they picketed in protest of the Bush Administration's handling of the Hurricane Katrina disaster relief in front of the White House September 8, 2005 in Washington, D.C. (Getty Images).

By Matthew Mosk
The liberal activist group MoveOn.org has endorsed Sen. Barack Obama for president after a lopsided vote of the group's membership.

The group issued a press release saying its membership in Super Tuesday states numbers over 1.7 million members, and it vowed to mobilize those members on Obama's behalf.

In a statement posted on the group's web site, Eli Pariser, MoveOn.org's Executive Director, called the endorsement a "clear call for a new America at this critical moment in history....The enormity of the challenges require someone who knows how to inspire millions to get involved to change the direction of our country, and someone who will be willing to change business as usual in Washington. Senator Barack Obama has proved he can and will be that President."

Democrats receiving support from the group can face some political headaches, as they learned last year when the group sponsored an ad in the New York Times that questioned the integrity of Gen. David Patraeus. The headline of the ad read: "General Petraeus or General Betray Us?"

After the ad caused a furor, Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton were among those repudiating the choice of words, both voting for the Democratic version of a statement that did not include MoveOn's name but said there had been an "unwarranted personal attack" on Petraeus.

By Web Politics Editor  |  February 1, 2008; 3:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Giuliani Campaign Pays Giuliani Firms
Next: Clinton Donor is Also Clinton Vendor

Comments

Only 6% of moveon members voted in the 3 hour polling. 10 % of moveone members unsubscribed from the organization within 3 hours of the poll. Guess more members voted with ther feet.

No one like a bully even if its Moveon.

Posted by: hhkeller | February 4, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I was also sent a MoveOn ballot via e-mail. After voting (in which I was not allowed to vote against endorsing in the primary, which I think was a bad idea) I was given an erroneous prompt, and then the rest of the screens were screwed up. When I went back to try again, before I could get a verification screen I just got prompts to donate money. So, I assume my vote (for Hillary) was never counted.

I think the timing of the endorsement was very bad, coming on the Friday when all the other news stories were about the unity in the party after the very positive Thursday debate.

All that said, I think the wording in the endorsement announcement to members of MoveOn was ridiculous: claiming that Obama is the "Progressive" candidate. Its one thing to endorse him because of his charm, but another to claim his policies are to the left of Hillary's.

For more of my comments, see:

Posted by: hcovitz | February 4, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The Moveon.org poll was slight of hand. It was represented to be an internal polling of the members and gave no notice that the results would be used as an endorsement of anyone. This endorsement was fraudulently put together. I did not "endorse" anyone. I'm Movin' on from Moveon.org.

Posted by: jackbmish | February 4, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

People seem not to be aware that MoveOn was launched to call attention to Kennie Starr and the millions of US taxpayers' dollars spent to investigate (and leak prodigiously) whitewaterwinsky. MoveOn considered it an abuse of public funds for partisan purposes using questionable methods. Although MoveOn was primarily trying to get the back of the american people, they performed a nice service for Bill, too.

Posted by: annie_hopkins | February 3, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

interesting that I, as a moveon.org member for years now, didn't receive the email to vote until almost 2 hours before the endorsement press release-I checked both time stamps from the email as well as the national press release...how exactly did they collect this 'overwhelming endorsement of Sen. Obama'? I smell a rat...

Posted by: paw11 | February 2, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

The Move-on endorsement will not hurt Obama. It will, however, hurt Move-on. If it is true that only 3% of the members were allowed to vote before the endorsement was announced, I wonder how the other 97% feel? I, for one had myself removed from their e-mail list last night after the announcement, not because of the 3%, (which I didn't know about), but because of the overwhelming win by Obama. This convinced me that I wasn't in sync with the average Move-on member and could lend my support to a group more in step with my beliefs.

Posted by: brigittepj | February 2, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Only 3% of moveon members responded to the poll because moveon was demanding phone numbers from members who were voting.
97% didnt respond to the poll at all.
Hardly a membership endorsement. Moveon is becoming wierder at time goes on. Power corrupts.

Posted by: hhkeller | February 2, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Only 3% of moveon members responded to the poll that they based the endorsement on. Wondering if the other 97% didnt like being asked for personal information or they support another candidate.

Posted by: hhkeller | February 2, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

This really hurts Obama in the general.
Between "most liberal Senator", Kenndy endorsement, and now MoveOn , McCain
is gonna eat this guy for lunch, unfortunately.
Obama is just the Kerry, Dukakis, McGovern
type candidate the Reps easily turn into wimps.

Posted by: rcwkent | February 2, 2008 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Hillary and Obama have shown so much more class than many of their supporters. After last night debate, I thought we would see a lot less bickering among their supporters. We are all Democrats; continued infighting can only benefit the Republican Party. So what if Moveon.org chooses to endorse Obama in the primary. If Hillary wins, they pledge to support her as well in the general election. Make no mistake; we will need all the help we can get to beat the Republican in the fall. The GOP has a very potent attack machine led by Karl Rowe. Remember him!!! And, they know how to win elections even if they can't govern. So, let save the slime for the fall because we will certainly need it then...

Posted by: citystreet | February 2, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

US Senator Ned Lamont must be very proud.

Posted by: gjmccarthy | February 2, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

MOVEON now sucks . Sad ending to a good group . lesson one stay NEUTRAL >

Posted by: chrisb597_200033 | February 1, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

"this guy is like hollywood, great facade but nothing behind it."

Hmmm... Unelectable then. Like Reagan and Schwarzenegger, eh?

Posted by: viennatrip | February 1, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm amazed at how many people are scared that a progressive group's endorsement will doom Barack Obama!

I believe that we can work with Barack Obama to break out of the politics of fear and create a new politics: a politics of community, a politics of positive change, and a politics that is worthy of our nation. Barack Obama has a basic commitment to community and grassroots organizing that is important -- but progressives must be involved, make our voices heard, and hold him accountable as the elections continue and into the future. Working together, I believe that we can make real the promise of a new kind of politics in this country.

But we can't do that if we're afraid to be progressive!

The public discourse of the possible in the United States is severely limited by three main themes: division, fear, and scarcity. The false politics of division follows a narrative where states voting 55% Democratic are "blue" and completely opposed to "red" states that vote 55% Republican. The false politics of fear reminds people daily that we should be very afraid of terrorists, immigrants, people of color, and gay marriage. The false politics of scarcity, which says it is common sense that we cannot afford to provide health care for the 50 million people in our nation who don't have it - while spending $700 billion each year on the military.

And no, I'm not worried about the hoopla over the Gen. Petraeus ad (which told the truth -- albeit a truth that many did not want to hear, just as some didn't with Gen. William Westmoreland during Vietnam).

I believe that Barack Obama's candidacy provides political openings that have not existed in this nation in forty years. And every single day I find it heartening and inspiring to be working to build a better society with people who had lost hope but are finding it anew - not in Barack Obama, but in themselves.

So let's stop worrying and work for hope, change, and a different politics for our nation!

Posted by: BCorr | February 1, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I have lost all respect for Moveon .org. they should have stayed neutral . I hope this a back lash on this organzation. I will no longer accept emails from them or support there causes.

Posted by: chrisb597_200033 | February 1, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

If Moron.org says Obama is their guy, then I'll have to vote for another candidate.

Posted by: Tupac_Goldstein | February 1, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Moron.org wants Barack? Thats it for me. Granted Obama is one of the most left wing people in the Senate but he does have a vision. But if the dummies at Moron say this is their guy, then I'm changing my vote.

Posted by: Tupac_Goldstein | February 1, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I am a MEMBER of Moveon.org.

But this endorsement, coupled with the sponsorship of Uncle Teddy Kennedy, will NOT help Obama with Independents, Moderates, or Reagan Democrats.

He's emerging in their minds as another John Kerry.

And that ain't good.

Posted by: auntmo9990 | February 1, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Question for supporters of Senator Obama:

-If MoveOn.org had endorsed Hillary, would you campaign for her, contribute $$$$ to her candidacy, and vote for her?

This endorsement means little.

Posted by: WylieD | February 1, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

This is a huge endorsement for Obama and as a member of MoveOn who voted in this poll, I could not be happier.This was not an endorsment of the MoveOn staff or founders--it is the endorsement of 30,00 people. To those who think this will hurt him.... sounds like sour grapes. I live in Virginia and Northern Va is most definitely Obama country. I really believe if Obama is the nominee Virginia will go blue!

Posted by: dccindy52 | February 1, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow. In one day, MoveOn has lost its credibility.

As I emailed to them, it's highly unlikely and disturbing that Obama supposedly got EXACTLY the 70% minimum to get this endorsement. Yeah, sure.

I don't know what MoveOn is doing, but coupled with "most liberal-voting Senator," this will NOT help Obama, this will hurt him.

What the f*** was MoveOn thinking? Idiots. Even John Edwards is waiting until 40% of states put in their two cents on Tuesday.

Posted by: 2229 | February 1, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Why are so many people even taking this alleged MoveOn poll of its members seriously?

What evidence is there that the vote was legitimate, that the outcome wasn't decided in advance and the numbers plugged in to validate that outcome?

Who monitors MoveOn "elections"?

Posted by: ralphbackhome | February 1, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

pmeboice,

By pointing out there are some obnoxious Clinton supporters does not negate the fact that a whole bunch of Obamaniacs are inspired enough to be the most raving venom spewing lunatics. And btw, the numbers are nowhere close to balanced, there are many many times more vicious personal attacks on both Clintons from Obama fans than on Obama from Clinton supporters.

There is a lot of simplistic rhetoric that Obama uses, which sounds nice from the mouth of a gifted orator, but will never be more than rhetoric in the real world.

Obama said he did not see a balck South Carolina and a white South Carolina, just one Carolina - may be, to him surrounded by secret service, and to him as a presidential candidate, there was n't 2 SCs, but that is hardly the case for all those African Americans living under poverty line, in the bastion of old confederacy, there certainly are.

How does Obama bring together a raving Lou Dobbs fan together with a pro-immigration person? How about James Dobson with NARAL? Norquist with Pelosi? I can go on.

Posted by: intcamd | February 1, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

As a member of Move On I resent the implications that we are all liberals. I am a no perference voter and probably lean a bit to conservative. I am 70+ years old and admire a group that is willing to work to change things instead of just talking. Do I agree with all their causes, no, but they have taken action on some good ones. The members vote was very carefully done.

Posted by: barj | February 1, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: barj | February 1, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Evidence suggests that Clinton is very much the hawk, and chances are that as President, she would conduct herself in a manner remarkably similar to George W Bush when it comes to resorting to unilateral military force before and instead of engaging in meaningful diplomacy.

We do not need another 8 years of the type of failed leadership George W. Bush has provided where we instigate wars and offer trumped up excuses to invade other countries. We need a President who is willing to negotiate by simply being willing to talk to our enemies, and we need to regain our standing and the respect of our allies around the world by working with them to solve crises rather than going off half-cocked on our own and overthrowing governments that we don't particularly like or agree with as a matter of general principal.

The last thing our military members need is 4 years under another President who is so quick and callous to write checks that our brave fighting men and women will have to cash.

HRC supporters, please DON'T fight the OBAMA TIDAL WAVE that is soon going to sweep over this country. Get on the Obama bandwagon and help us transform this nation.

Posted by: Rubiconski | February 1, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

laplumelefirmament:

Please stop shouting (ALL CAPS!).

Besides, your False Flag trickery would be more effective if you used more subtlety. Nice try, though.

Posted by: psyberdawg | February 1, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Whoa there "intcamd"- relax a little buddy. It's too bad you've run into a few overly-excited Obama supporters but I have seen a lot of those on Clinton's side too. I think it's fair to say that each side has their share of tightly-wound folks but we're not all "poisonous" as you say.
I think last night's debate was clearly a sign that Obama can unite us- he set the tone of the debate and it went very well. He's confident that he can sit down with even America's worst enemies and come to a diplomatic agreement rather than going to war. Clinton wants to wait a year- for what I would ask?

When it comes down to it- the candidates just aren't that different from each other-otherwise it would be an easy choice for us. I'm just thankful that, for the first time in a long time, the nominees for this position actually have to work for it-AS THEY SHOULD!! Obama 08!

Posted by: pmeboice | February 1, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pmeboice | February 1, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Listen up, Ankleless Annie! Eli Pariser ("Funny, you don't look French...") said Mor.on OWNS the Democratic Party; I'll bet that little pimply Albanian at the Daily Klutz seconds him. Ralph Nader has announced (media mutts have ignored him) and Ol' Fisheye, having conquered global warming (it's been COLD lately; have you and the husband noticed?), awaits a deadlock and the nod. Hsu loves ya, baby?

Posted by: sawargos | February 1, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

BEWARE !!!!

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE FRIENDS OR RELATIVES THAT ARE ILLEGAL!

CLINTON OPPOSES ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS DRIVER'S LICENSE!

IF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS ARE NOT GIVEN DRIVER'S LICENSES THEY WILL BE FORCED
TO BREAK THE LAW!

AND SINCE IT IS A CRIME TO BREAK THE LAW, IF CAUGHT YOU ARE EXEMPT FROM
A PATH TO CITIZENSHIP!

THIS WILL FOREVER BAN YOU FROM BEING A U.S. CITIZEN!
THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO DEPORT YOU!

OBAMA BELIEVES THAT THOSE WHO BLAME IMMIGRANTS FOR JOB LOSSES AND LOW WAGES
ARE USING LATINOS AS SCAPEGOATS. CLINTON ON THE OTHER HAND BELIEVES THAT LATINOS ARE
IN PART RESPONSIBLE FOR JOB LOSSES AND LOW WAGES.

OBVIOUSLY OBAMA IS THE BEST CHOICE FOR LATINOS IF YOU WANT TO STOP THE BLAME ON LATINOS!

SAY NO TO THE SCAPEGOATING!

SI SE PUEDE! SI SE PUEDE! SI SE PUEDE!

Posted by: laplumelefirmament | February 1, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I voted in this and am glad MoveOn members chose Obama. We need to stop second-guessing ourselves and playing defense. We need to be proud of ourselves and stop letting our fears set our agenda. And, give me a break Hillary fans, would you say it was a disaster if MoveOn had endorsed her? Obama is a smart politician. He is rapidly learning how to handle himself on the national stage without our "expert" advice. He has what it takes to go all the way. Will he disappoint us sometimes? Yep. And groups like MoveOn will be there to call him on it.

Posted by: johnsonc2 | February 1, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Is Obama supposed to be the uniter? The one who does not see a white America or black America, red and blue states, blah blah? The one supposed to inspire us all, so we allforget our differences and come together as in some 19050's Hollywood movie?

Not really, if you look at his supporters. Not even the abominable Rush-ditto-heads are filled with this much hatred and poison, as the Omabanias have to the Clintons. His racist and sexist fifth column friends like Eugene Robinson, Maureen Dowd, Frank Rich, and Colby are worse. if anything.

If he is able to bring out this much hatred from deep inside of supposedly tolerant liberals, you can imagine what he would inspire in the right wing cabal who think Guantanamo and water boarding are like fraternity pranks and are upset at Bush because he did n't keep Abu Ghraib going.

Posted by: intcamd | February 1, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

brosen459: I firmly believe the opposite is true: A Hillary nomination = Democrat loss.
She has too much baggage to get the swing/indie votes -- many of which go to Barack.

If you are correct, and I am correct, is it possible the only way the Dems can take the WH is if Obama and Hillary join forces?

I hate to think that's the case.

Posted by: VoiceofReason5 | February 1, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

btw -- A vote for Hillary = a vote for McCain, and another four years of a Republican presidency. Why? Fairly or not, Hillary cannot, will not get the Independent and Swing voters. Plus the "ABC" rule applies.

Obama, on the other hand, has wide appeal. This is key to winning the White House. MoveOn endorsement or not (a mixed bag), THINK NOV. STRATEGY and vote to WIN. Obama '08

Posted by: VoiceofReason5 | February 1, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Mixed blessing. If he can advertise his more conservative endorsements, that will help. If he could just get Gore or Edwards...

Posted by: VoiceofReason5 | February 1, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VoiceofReason5 | February 1, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm confident that my vote to endorse Obama was the right thing to do.

But as another poster said, the moveon poll indicates that Obama will win popular support, and Clinton will win party machine support.

I hope to vote for Obama this November but I'm expecting a Clinton ticket.

Posted by: squier13 | February 1, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"once again, the democrats will lose the general election in november with obama. he will get very few moderate or conserative democrats."

You're joking, right? Obama has vastly more crossover appeal than Clinton. I know Republicans who will vote for Obama but would never vote for Clinton.

I seriously wonder whether you are a Republican. This is typical Republican advice, meant to get Clinton into the general election, because she is perceived as the more beatable candidate.

Posted by: PutDownTheKoolaid | February 1, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Did Bill O'Reilly send all these MoveOn bashers over here? Or was it the Clintons? Hard to tell from the comments.

The notion that an endorsement from MoveOn is going to hurt Obama is ludicrous. The MoveOn haters weren't going to vote for a Democrat anyway (except for Clinton supporters, who just discovered their hatred, and will vote for Obama if their queen loses the nomination). The fact is, most Americans haven't even heard of this organization. The Republicans will just look silly if they try to run a campaign based on bashing MoveOn.

Posted by: PutDownTheKoolaid | February 1, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

for those who do not want to look at the national journal site.

Obama: Most Liberal Senator In 2007
RELATED STORIES:

How The Vote Ratings Are Calculated
Key Vote Breakdown
Q&A: From The Editor
PAST SENATE RATINGS:
2006 · 2005 · 2004 · 2003 · 2002 · 2001 · 2000 · 1999 · 1998 · 1997 · 1996 · 1995
PAST HOUSE RATINGS:

By Brian Friel, Richard E. Cohen and Kirk Victor, National Journal
© National Journal Group Inc.
Thursday, Jan. 31, 2008

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., was the most liberal senator in 2007, according to National Journal's 27th annual vote ratings. The insurgent presidential candidate shifted further to the left last year in the run-up to the primaries, after ranking as the 16th- and 10th-most-liberal during his first two years in the Senate.

Posted by: brosen459 | February 1, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much influence the endorsement has on Obama's candidacy since most of its members either support Obama or Ron Paul anyway.

Posted by: diplomat111 | February 1, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

obama " ..the most liberal record in the senate..". a smear. that is the problem with obama people, they don't read, they don't learn, they drink the kool aid. i refer to the article below by the national journal which rated senators on their liberal votes for 2007. obama was the number 1 liberal in the senate, clinton ranked 16th. please do your homework before you yell smear. that is another problem with obama people, they whine and don't like to hear the truth about their candidate.

what are you going to say if hillary wins on tuesday. you cried foul when she won in new hampshire and nevada. whiners.

Posted by: brosen459 | February 1, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"...the most liberal record in the senate..."

Smear alert! Made up 'facts' like this invalidate everything else in the post.

Posted by: judgeccrater | February 1, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

obama is dead in the water. he may win the nomination but a large percentage of democrats like me will never vote for the person with the most liberal record in the senate, the endorsement of moveon.org, ted kennedy and john kerry(two liberals from mass who tried to be president but were defeated by the country)

obama is not ready to be president i think that the media has drunk the kool-aid, including the los angeles times. if you read their endorsement, they talk about obama's experience in foreign affairs. what experience. this guy is like hollywood, great facade but nothing behind it.

Posted by: brosen459 | February 1, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

If you were on MoveOn's email list, you would know that it was not a fair poll. If you clicked on a link to vote, you had only two options - vote for Obama or vote for Clinton. All MoveOn members who supported someone else or believed MoveOn should not endorse at all were disenfranchised. By my calculations, 82% of MoveOn's membership (using the figures MoveOn provides both as to numbers who voted and for their membership) did not vote for either Obama or Clinton. So you could say there was a landslide against the endorsement, but this didn't stop MoveOn's leadership.

MoveOn always reverts to form. Look up its history. It was started by rich businessmen who felt that both progressive Democrats and conservative Republicans threatened America. It has repeatedly angered progressives by its positions, such as its campaign *for* Iraq War funding only last year. Not surprising that it would only allow a choice between two candidates who have voted to fund the Iraq War, refuse to pledge to withdraw troops from Iraq at any time during their Presidency if elected, favor increasing the bloated military budget, and favor increasing the size of active duty U.S. military forces.

MoveOn is an organization dedicated to defending the establishment through duping progressives and falsely claiming to represent progressives.

Posted by: BillSamuel | February 1, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

This is definitely NOT good news for Obama. MoveOn has a history of ham-fisted attempts at helping candidates that have backfired spectacularly. With "friends" like MoveOn, Obama isn't going to need any enemies.

Posted by: mwfree | February 1, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

As a MoveOn member myself, I would like to point out one bit of information that was omitted in this article. I, along with a majority of the organization, stated that we would support whoever gets the Democratic nomination. As a Democrat, I think both Hillary and Barack both possess strong leadership qualities. I've gone back and forth a few times, sometimes thinking Hillary would be better, other times Barack. I'd say this is a fantastic predicament to be in: Democrats have two strong candidates vying for President. My hope is we, the Democratic Party, can remember we're all on the same side of the political spectrum and keep infighting to a minimum.

Posted by: Minnesota1 | February 1, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"And I can't say Obama is very unifying. "

Someone is off their meds.

Who the heck else would moveon endorse?

If the KKK endorses McCain does that mean McCain is a member of the KKK? Get a grip.

Posted by: judgeccrater | February 1, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Poor Obama. He is doing along great when the curse came upon him with this endorsement of moveon.org. I am a democrat but I despised this group which knows nothing but confrontational politics. They are no better than Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter
etc.

Posted by: tim591 | February 1, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Obama's broad appeal makes him a stronger candidate than Clinton in the general election. Let's hope he overcomes the Clinton machine and gives America a nice fresh start.

Posted by: tjshire | February 1, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I voted in the MoveOn Poll yesterday and the plan was for MoveOn to endorse only if over 66% of their membership supported one candidate. Seems fair to me.
Barack spoke to our small "peace" group on a Sunday afternoon in Chicago, 2002. I realized then he would be president. His core values seem to be at least 89% intact. Integrity, compassion, transparent and honest...and pretty smart too.
I'm very comfortable and confident that my vote for Obama is the right one.
Jim White

Posted by: jwhite | February 1, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry who ever said this is a kiss of death is right, first kiss of death was Kerry coming out for Obama. The Kennedys well lets all take a closer look at who said I back Obama, Ted Hmmm how many are old enough to remember his life. Caroline was how old when JFK was killed, she remembers little if anything. Obama has a smooth tongue but nothing to back it up. All he can do is hope Terror is a bumper sticker four hundred dollar haircut Edwards does not come out for him! Hillary all you have to do is say the last name Clinton, no thanks been there done that. So who does an independent vote for? Not a democrat!

Posted by: Immanurse | February 1, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

This is bound to send all the moderates to Hillary. This frantic fight between these candidates is gonna hurt the democrats in November. That's all that's clear. And I can't say Obama is very unifying. My god, you'd think his life depended on this nomination.

Posted by: mike-straight | February 1, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Calm down, Hillary folks...MoveOn is an anti-war group. Did you really think they would not endorse Obama -- who was at an anti-war rally and gave a speech against the war in 2002?

But since most of the nation now thinks the war was a disaster and a mistake, the endorsement shouldn't hurt with Independents and even some disgusted Republicans. MoveOn may have gone a bit too far in that one ad -- but everyone knows that emotions can run high about an issue like this.

It was a meaningful endorsement and should help on Super Tuesday. And, yes, it is a tribute to Obama's ability to build coalitions across diverse lines of ideologies. People are hungering for ideas that will transcend the squabbles that have dominated politics. Obama is the best chance to do that.

Sorry, but it is true -- I vote in Virginia -- Virginia could vote for a Democratic president for the first time in a long time if Obama is running. Hillary will keep Virginia in the reddish-purple list.

I WILL VOTE FOR HER, but it will not be a large-scale win.

Posted by: rebeccajm | February 1, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hillary for Senate!

Posted by: bsimon | February 1, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Why would Obama run from this endorsement? He can use his solid refrain: "I am running to be the President of all Americans."

The broader the coalition, the better.

The folks that scream about MoveOn.org are the same folks that listen to Rush and Hannity and Jay Severin AND BELIEVE WHATEVER THEY SAY. They would not have voted for Obama anyway.

Posted by: steveboyington | February 1, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Hold on, hold on, hold on...take a deep breath. Everyone is focusing on a single endorsement instead of looking at the big picture.

Sen. Obama is able to pull people from all areas of the Democratic political spectrum. He's able to bring the most liberal wing of the Democratic Party such as MoveOn.org and "Blue Dog" Democrats (or Conservative Democrats) such Gov. Kathleen Sebelius. That has been his central message all along. Being able to bring everyone to work together toward a common purpose.

MoveOn.org is just announcing their support for the Senator like the SEIU endorsed him this morning or even Paul Volker, former Federal Reserve Chairman, did last night. So chill out and take a deep breath and enjoy watching how many different people with different ideologies and different backgrounds this person is able to bring together...that's just amazing to me.

Posted by: ovwong | February 1, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

So much for Obama appealing to independents. MoveOn's endorsement is the kiss of death. The GOP's ad people are creating a nice montage of Obama, the Move On endorsement, the over-the-top Move-On NYT ad, and voting for the name-no-names version of the repudiation of the ad.

Again, we Dems are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Wandering into the political wilderness. Appropriating ever metaphor that signifies self-inflicted defeat.

Am getting too old to keeping hoping we do better during the next election!

Posted by: CntrvilleCitoyen | February 1, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hillary for VP !!

Posted by: arps | February 1, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Great News! To Susan9 how was this a dirty trick? MoveOn.org emailed their members and asked them to Endorse a Candidate. Members were allowed one vote. I did not see anything wrong with the way this was done. Are you upset because it was done so fast? Maybe you would like for it to have dragged on for weeks?.. I have a feeling that you are not even a member of MoveOn.org.

Posted by: mikerock2000 | February 1, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

#1: this was not a 'quick and dirty' poll. You obviously didn't take the time to find out about it before commenting. (Maybe the same reason you're supporitng Hillary).

Each member could cast only ONE VOTE- through a link in their email that was unique to each person.

These emails could not be forwarded or re-used.

They had another fail-safe built in too. A follow up email was sent with a code in it. They called your number and you had to enter the code for the vote to be valid.

FIND OUT THE FACTS NEXT TIME

Posted by: alizagg | February 1, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Obama is not going to go down without a fight. It is interesting to watch the "Old Guard" stand with Bill Clinton and his wife.

In the end - it will Be Obama with the popular support of the Democrat Party grass roots, but it will be Mrs. Bill Clinton with the backing of the Democrat Party machinery......so leave it to the ol' "Bull Connor" mentality of Bill and Mrs. Clinton. They will find a way to keep this "uppity" black man in his place.

Posted by: RFacemyer | February 1, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The group, with 3.2 million members nationwide and over 1.7 million members in Super Tuesday states, will immediately begin to mobilize on behalf of Senator Obama. The vote favored Senator Obama to Senator Clinton by 70.4% to 29.6%.

How will MoveOn.org endorsement affect the race on Super Tuesday?

Posted by: jeffboste | February 1, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

This is an impressive sign of Obama's support. Not even Howard Dean, who was considered the darling of MoveOn in 2004, was able to achieve the supermajority needed for their endorsement.

Endorsements are like compliments; they do not project the giver's views onto the receiver. This will not hurt Obama in the general.

Posted by: jsc2008 | February 1, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

If I was Obama, I'd be very upset at this one. This group did a quick and dirty poll of members and within a day of that, posted an endorsement. Not scientific.

Since I'm voting for Hillary, I think it's great! If they had endorsed her, it would have hurt her in the general election.

Posted by: Susan9 | February 1, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse