Romney Promises Super Tuesday Surprise

Georgia Tech Romney fans at an Atlanta event. (Reuters).

By Glenn Kessler
ATLANTA -- The pundits may have counted him out, but former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney sounds like a man who plans to keep going, no matter what happens at the polls on Super Tuesday.

Romney acknowledged he is the underdog but said he would "surprise" people who were counting on a McCain sweep.

"I am definitely the underdog compared to Senator McCain, a number of people have proclaimed that," Romney told reporters after a rally in downtown Atlanta. "But the nice thing about being the underdog is they typically win."

Romney said he sensed a "shift in the tide" as Republicans contemplated McCain as the potential nominee. "I plan on doing real well on Tuesday," he said. "I don't think we are halfway through as of Tuesday, maybe about halfway, and then we will go on and continue to rack up delegates, and I am planning on winning this nomination."

At every stop in a whirlwind tour of battleground states, Romney has knocked McCain as a "liberal" who votes for higher taxes or wants to allow illegal immigrants to become citizens. He constantly insists that it has become a two-man race, even as former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee continues in the race, effectively splitting the conservative vote with Romney.

Romney said Huckabee has "every right to stay in the race and battle to the end if he wants to," but he leaves it to surrogates to take a tougher line against Huckabee. He paused during a news conference here to let former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum to step to the microphone.

Santorum said "a bunch of liberal northeastern states" were going to vote for McCain Tuesday but the South was being divided between Romney and Huckabee. He said Huckabee had no chance to succeed, so "the only alternative to stopping the McCain Twisted Talk Express is Mitt Romney."

Romney planned airport rallies in Oklahoma City and Long Beach, Calif., later today before flying back through the night to the East Coast to address convention delegates in Charleston, W.V., Tuesday morning.

Romney plans to take Wednesday off but has scheduled a speech to the Conservative Political Action Committee in Washington on Thursday.

By Washington Post editors  |  February 4, 2008; 2:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forget February. What About November?
Next: In Patriot Country, Clinton Hopes For a Win

Comments

Posted by: paxil overnight shipping | August 21, 2008 3:14 AM | Report abuse

pzkci yswzpi pailnkt wpag
http://ratetiti.fcpages.com/effexor-withdrawals.html effexor withdrawals

Posted by: effexor withdrawals | August 21, 2008 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: celexa cost | August 20, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: effexor depression drug | August 20, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rogaine tropical solution ad | August 18, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

xfwh xafu
http://thebunio1.exactpages.com/does-effexor-cause-elevated-glucose-levels.html does effexor cause elevated glucose levels

Posted by: does effexor cause elevated glucose levels | August 18, 2008 6:16 AM | Report abuse

ykxsub vjyb uikjgb vloykfa
http://thebunio1.exactpages.com/wellbutrin-sr-bupropion-texas.html wellbutrin sr bupropion texas

Posted by: wellbutrin sr bupropion texas | August 18, 2008 6:07 AM | Report abuse

azde uovbxe ywhsg
http://loangov.envy.nu/buspar-prescribing-information.html buspar prescribing information

Posted by: buspar prescribing information | August 17, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

zryfmuj tqpeyxg lcgz jmueqk
http://doaingemanci.100freemb.com/copper-cause-hair-loss.html copper cause hair loss

Posted by: copper cause hair loss | August 17, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kamagra sildenafil citrate | August 16, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

cpawdv iuxven srmnyap
http://youngercam.00freehost.com/ginkgo-biloba-prozac-how-much.html ginkgo biloba prozac how much

Posted by: ginkgo biloba prozac how much | August 16, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: effexor rx change in effectiveness | August 16, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: negative side effects of lexapro | August 15, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cheap generic propecia | May 11, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

iecto jlhur bfcohn
http://www.yourhealthforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4574 forum online ultram

Posted by: forum online ultram | May 11, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

iecto jlhur bfcohn

Posted by: forum online ultram | May 11, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ultram ingredient | May 11, 2008 5:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ultram overdose | May 10, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: buy dir ultram | May 10, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: buy dir ultram | May 10, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: day next ultram | May 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

eovrkijpq euilw qnyizf zvda oevfa kgfzrxjs cfdonrqi http://www.aokhdnigl.jcyax.com

Posted by: tzpdwjlei otvjsdc | April 16, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

qtbkmujp gwsk kfocruyxs opfqxbai bresv btrosuce cfzp

Posted by: kavctw cswkl | April 16, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Marinepatriot - yes, my bad. Sorry...

Jmeyers - I'm intrigued that Ron Paul comes across to you like Ross Perot, and "eccentric". Perot's free market stance was an ill-disguised campaign on behalf of corporate business (and its inevitable corporate welfarism, doled out by whomever holds the Federal purse strings, regardless of "party"). Ron Paul's support of a free market is based soundly on the principle of LESS government (certainly a LOT LESS Federal government, though he holds the States to be accountable to the local constituency) so that individuals can get ON with it - and the market (i.e. the consumerhorde) determining which business is worth supporting and which not. Smells like freedom to me.

Is calling for freedom "eccentric"?
Is calling for rule of law under the Constitution "eccentric"?
Is restoring the right of the people to control the monetary system "eccentric"?
Is pointing out the lies and deceptions of the ruling elite "eccentric"?
Is getting out of a stupid, illegal and cripplingly expensive war with no purpose "eccentric"?
Eccentricity like this is SURELY preferrable to more of the "same old same old".
I suggest everyone read a recent book "Ubiquity - why disasters happen" (Mark Buchanan). The instability in the current system is now critical. Continuation of the very policies that have brought us here is just plain STUPID. It's time for a change in fundamental direction and principle strategy, not just the endless tweaking of short-term "tactics", changing nothing.
No matter who wins in November, if it's not Ron Paul, nothing will change, and a significant financial catastrophe is ever more likely.
RP now has 42 delegates - enough to go to the GOP conference and demand to be heard. Who knows what could emerge? McCain is a fraud - a liberal and a hawk, and one who will spend limitlessly, if enabled.
Romney is a good man, but will change nothing, either. he'll LOOK good, and SOUND good (anything would be an improvement on GWB), but, to quote that one's ol' Pappy "where's the beef?"
Huckabee will prostitute himself for the VP spot on the ticket. The only honest candidate is...
As Ghandi said:
"First they laugh at you,
then they ridicule you,
then they fight you,
then you win".
Ron Paul for 2008

Posted by: mike | February 6, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

My faith IS based upon Jesus Christ, who is the ultimate in righteousness, truth & light. Jesus Christ is as real to me as he is to you. This is His gospel, not mine, not anyone else's, not Joseph Smith's, etc. And the Book of Mormon is not MORE being added to the gospel of Jesus Christ--it is simply another witness of His gospel, and it is about His visit to the Americas to enlighten the people of this side of the world, and not just Jerusalem at that side of the world. I think it is best that we agree to disagree. Rather than focus on our differences, I think it would be better to & more Christlike to come together on our commonalities. May God bless you as well.

Posted by: amangan | February 5, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Again, as a born-again Christian and one who prays, reads the Holy Bible, and seeks diligently the Word of God all through the day I want to reiterate that The Holy Bible is the Devine, infallible, perfect Word of God and there is nothing that can be added or taken away from it...it is not errant in interpretation and is the complete truth. No need for a Book of Mormon.
I know you are so sincere but the Book of Mormon is errant in that is written and inspired by man and not by God. Mormonism is man designed and not God designed. I pray that you may know the true and living God. That Jesus Christ would come into your heart and change you from the inside out. That you would not base you faith and view on your righteousness but rather on that of Jesus Christ. I pray that He would become real to you and that you would see the real truth that is our mighty, loving Savior. God bless you friend!

Posted by: haysj | February 5, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

What saddens ME is that there are STILL people like some of those who have posted here on this site who are deceived into believing that Mormonism is a cultist group. Yet, I have encountered people like this before in my life, and none of them have ever once picked up a Book of Mormon and read it from cover to cover, to see that every word, story, idea, concept, principle, & notion centers upon Jesus Christ, his life, his atonement, his precepts, his example. Every one of them have relied upon outside sources, non-member books, interviews, etc. Not one word in the Book of Mormon--no, not one, talks about, hints at, much less encourages anything BUT light and truth and that we should ALL seek & not JUST seek, but seek DILIGENTLY after truth by our own, personal relationship with the Almighty through constant prayer, fasting, pondering, etc. We are taught every day to seek after righteousness, to do good for our fellow man, love one another, & to teach our children those same principles. Ask yourselves, to what purpose would it serve to ask members of our church to believe in Jesus Christ & try to do as He did? Yes, there are people out in the world who are "wolves" in sheeps' clothing, & I do believe there are false prophets, but I also believe in true prophets, ones that are ordained of God & who have the authority given by God to preach in our day, and I believe that of all this time of turmoil & confusion, that God was merciful in blessing us with a restored gospel that is as it was when Christ was on the earth. But, the only way to discover truth is with a sincere heart & a contrite spirit & then asking in heartfelt prayer to our Father in Heaven, what is true or not. He will answer those prayers. Listen, plenty of people who think we are a cult, will continue to believe what they want to believe, but I just want to put my pleas out there to everyone not to ONLY rely on the words of those who are not of my faith and simply ponder with sincerity. I haven't been "duped" into this religion. I've spent many years away from this church, and been to other Christian churches. My husband was baptized Catholic, raised Lutheran, and then converted to the LDS church. I am a member of the LDS church because of my own personal relationship with God & Jesus Christ. When I pray for this country, I don't selfishly ask God to bless the people to vote for Mitt Romney. I ask Him to simply bless this nation that the most righteous man to lead our country to become President. Our church leaders ask us to simply pray in faith & to vote for the best candidate we feel would do the best job. They do NOT ask us to vote for any specific candidate. Thanks for letting me have my say.

amangan

Posted by: amangan | February 5, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Ok, the September Dawn movie reference was a little low at this point and time, however, I just want to people (voters) to realize that Mormonism is a cult and is not in reflection of the Christian faith (I know you will try and argue this point but let's just lay it out there for people to decide). There are many uninformed Christians out there that would say its all the same, but its absolutely not! I do not hate the people who believe in the Mormon faith but I do believe (in my heart of hearts) that the LDS belief system is a deception and I want people to know.

I do believe that Joseph Smith was visited by an angel. However, I do believe that it was an angel of darkness and not sent from heaven above.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 talks about
"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve."

Listen, the devil comes to steal, to kill, and to destroy and he does it in many ways. He is the father of lies and I truly believe he used Joseph Smith as a puppet to divide believers and to cause confusion and division. I know that the Mormon church has been completely deceived and is unknowingly following in the steps of the father of lies. This is sad because Mormons are so convinced that they've have the truth, but, It is a lie straight from the pit of hell...a lie to weaken the purpose and life of Jesus Christ and what he has already done for us. There is no need for the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith's revelations.

I feel sad when people are so deceived, especially people who are Christian. I will bet my eternity on Jesus Christ alone...what He gave on the cross for the remission of sin for all people. I hope people who have fallen into the deception of Mormonism will open their eyes and understand that the Old & New Testament of the Holy Bible is all you need...you don't need to add the book of Mormon.

Posted by: haysj | February 5, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Ronald Kessler in a 1/11/07 Newsmax article ("Vanity Fair Tiptoes Around McCain's Explosive Temper") quoted several people who have worked closely with John McCain. Paul Johnson, former Mayor of Phoenix, said "His volatility borders in the area of being unstable." Rep. John LeBoutillier of New York said "People who disagree with him get the [obscenity deleted]. I think he is mentally unstable and not fit to be president." I have found these same quotes buried in several other sources. Can anyone explain why these concerns have not been openly expressed in the mainstream media?

Posted by: pihanakalae | February 4, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

you meant your comment to "dadofu4"

My, "marinepatriot" comment is the first comment, and I also love and support Mike Huckabee very much.

I'm just clarifying because I don't want anyone thinking that this Marine likes Mitt Flip Flopping Romney.

Vote For Mike Huckabee!

Posted by: marinepatriot | February 4, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

to: vote4mikehuckabee
Your facts are false. More misleading statements from desperate "fringe evangelical conservatives" who ought to be practicing what they preach.
MITT ROMNEY fully believes and practices the Christian Ten Commandments, as we all should. We should respect his true core commitment to the sanctity of the Family, Human Life and a Strong America by way of a strong Defense and Economy. Don't be fooled by the lies. Save the Republican Party! VOTE MITT ROMNEY!

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

vote4mikehuckleberry's unbiased opinion convinced me! I can rest assured that he was just giving the straight facts and not lopsided spin intended to favor a partisan choice.

I am soooooo glad there are people like him out there to give us information we can trust! ;~)

Posted by: rat-the | February 4, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

*** ALERT ****

Tony Perkins and James Dobson of FRC (Family Research Council) value voters guide that I just received today clearly shows they are supporting Mike Huckabee for President.

Out of all the questions they asked of Republicans and Democrates, Mike Huckabee scored 100% in all questions.

It also shows that Mitt Romney''s liberal positions are still showing through him in the questioning.

It says Mitt Romney supports human cloning and embryo destruction. Plus it says Mitt Romney would vote for passage to water down the Federal Marriage act of 1996.

Plus it says Mitt Romney will vote to allow passage of law that allows the Government to take away private land of it''s citizens whenever it wants to.

Do Republicans want a liberal like Mitt Romney running our party or a true conservative like Mike Huckabee running our party?

It''s clear that Tony Perkins and Dr. James Dobson are supporting conservative Mike Huckabee in the value votes results I just received today.

If you are a conservative who has admired what Tony Perkins and Dr. James Dobson has down for the nation, please go vote tomorrow for Mike Huckabee who they are clearly showing they are supporting.

Posted by: vote4mikehuckabee | February 4, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I will make Huckleberry's life a living hell, if he does manage to prevent Mitt Romney from winning the Nomination by detracting votes from the man who APPEARS to share his views on Amnesty, when apparently Huck wants McClown to win, and thus must want a RINO to win.
DR. NO, Nobody listens to him and he never gets anything done anyway, so why should I bother to go after his idiot Arse!
Doesn't mean I do not hate his friggin Guts though! Between the Two, Huckster and Dr.NO, are saying they actually want McPain and the Status Quo to reign on!
NO CHANGE

Posted by: rat-the | February 4, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

10 + years as Governor-& RE-elected 3 times vs Romney's one term...HMMM...Huckabee has spent 7 million to Romney's 87 MILLION ...HMMM...OF COURSE Romney wants him out of the race DUH because like it or not Governor Huckabee is an experienced giant killer! He is about to take Romney down! In Governor Huckabee we FINALLY have a candidate,- who after all of the verbal stumbles of the Bush presidency can ARTICULATE Republican principles with warmth, wit, & wisdom. Remember the giant killer only picked up 5 smooth stones...can those be called geogia, alabama, tennesee, AR, Missouri? We will see---I sure hope so for our countries sake! If the republicans are smart and not stuck in their ways Huckabee SHOULD BE on the ticket in 08- but go aheaed and run someone without any charisma and see how bad you establichment know it all types get SMOKED by the demoncrats!!!

Posted by: timklly747 | February 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

You got to be kidding John McCain as President of the USA? This man is a delusional megalomaniac and you want to have him to be in charge of the military not to mention the economy.
John just loves to hear himself talk about his greatness. This man's ego is totally out of control. It's George Bush all over again.
Oh no, this isn't a good idea at all.
Please vote for Romney!
Mitt isn't not connected to the machine.
Go Mitt!

Posted by: dadofu4 | February 4, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, this isn't a good idea at all.
Please vote for Romney!
Mitt isn't not connected to the machine.
Go Mitt!

Posted by: dadofu4 | February 4, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, this isn't a good idea at all.
Please vote for Romney!
Mitt isn't not connected to the machine.
Go Mitt!

Posted by: dadofu4 | February 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, this isn't a good idea at all.
Please vote for Romney!
Mitt isn't not connected to the machine.
Go Mitt!

Posted by: dadofu4 | February 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, this isn't a good idea at all.
Please vote for Romney!
Mitt isn't not connected to the machine.
Go Mitt!

Posted by: dadofu4 | February 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, this isn't a good idea at all.
Please vote for Romney!
Mitt isn't not connected to the machine.
Go Mitt!

Posted by: dadofu4 | February 4, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I am getting so sick of the so called Christians who are so bigotted in their attacks on Mitt Romney. haysj and all of the other self reighteous, holier than thou Huckaby christians know that the movie he mentioned is pure fiction; propagated by liberal Hollywood to try and destroy Mitt Romney. Mike Huckaby and his buddy John McCain should know it. There is nothing bad on Mitt Romney! The public can see through this mud slinging. Pull your head out of the sand and vote for a decent, honest man who is not running for President for his own ego. Mitt Romney loves and cares for America and wants to do the right thing for his country. A Vote for Mitt Romney is a vote to save the moral fabric of our country. - VOTE FOR FAMILY / GOD / COUNTRY ! VOTE Mitt ROMNEY!

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

*** ALERT ****

It also shows that Mitt Romney's liberal positions are still showing through him in the questioning.

Plus it says Mitt Romney will vote to allow passage of law that allows the Government to take away private land of it's citizens whenever it wants to.

It's clear that Tony Perkins and Dr. James Dobson are supporting conservative Mike Huckabee in the value votes results I just received today.

Posted by: vote4mikehuckabee | February 4, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: colettis | February 4, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Mitt Romney would no doubt make an excellent President. The lib's and the media are praying that he isn't the nominee. They realize he could upset the apple cart.
If you are inclined toward Mccain or Huck, thats fine. You have to look ahead though. The general election is a different ballgame. The polls you see now will mean nothing by November. Things will be totally different.
What will matter is a canidate that is sharp, that can think on their feet. The Dems and the media are about to rain down the most money and the biggest push yet to regain the Whitehouse.

Mccain is going to have a rough time with his age, and (sorry) his lack of skill in debates and on a lot of the issues. I like Huck too, but come on, Huck will be drawn into so many traps of mis-speaks by NOV. 8th they will have him tagged as Gomer Pyle.

Romney is a real threat though. He has not a past that will hurt him. He is the best debater the party has had for sometime. He is well spoken and very sharp on the issues. He can frame an argument and does not get imtimidated or lose his temper (see McCain). Funny one liners are not going to win folks ( see Ross Perot) We need to have that vision thing.

If you are an evangelical, as am I, don't let the secular folks scare you about Mormonism. I have had neighbors and friends that are Mormons. They actually walk the walk. Their children are so polite and behaved. They don't get into trouble,or smoke or do drugs ect.(see Romney family)They have real family, consrvative american values.

Truth be known, it was a Mormon that really turned me onto Jesus. The coolest thing about it, he did not even pressure me to become of his faith. I never even went to his Church. ( He was doing his mission and there is a church that sponsers them.) No, I played sports with him, did activities...he even offered to help me financially, which I did not accept.

I was a liberal then. Yes a Ted Kennedy liberal (1980 ish) I was pro-life and on on the verge of Socialism. Yet I was accepted and treate as a friend by Mormons. Believe me, they were on the other end of the spectrum politically.

Now I know why they were so happy and calm back then. Because they walk the walk. They live their lives as the scripture says. I was confused and angry and liberal. I thank God for them and people like them.

Posted by: superd59 | February 4, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: superd59 | February 4, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

haysj!!!!! Congratulations!!! You get the Bigot-of-the-Day award!!! Step right up and get your trophy!!!!

Posted by: kermit4 | February 4, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

The only "surprise" that Plastic Mitt will produce tomorrow is that he will be pounded even more brutally by John McCain than is currently anticipated. Mitt problem isn't one of "liberal" or "conservative". Anyone who can look at his record as governor of Massachusetts and then, with a straight face, continue to claim that he's "the conservative alternative to John McCain" needs to seek professional help.

Mitt's problem is simply this: his transparent insincerity. The man will do or say anything to get your vote. He's an empty suit with no substance. People see this (at least, those that are willing to see the truth) and that's why they're not voting for him. They're gonna vote for the real deal tomorrow, Senator John McCain, and put the issue to rest for once and for all.

GO McCAIN!!! ALL THE WAY IN 2008!

Posted by: danram | February 4, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

No Time for Amateurs - Vote McCain

Citizens Against Government Waste awarded John McCain the J. Peter Grace Award for "Uncompromising Pursuit of Fiscal Restraint in the Federal Government." The National Taxpayers Union has similarly honored Senator McCain for reducing the burden on the American taxpayer.

We need more conservatives like McCain who reduce BOTH spending and taxes.

John McCain has ALWAYS supported overturning Roe v Wade. Beyond that the McCain's have become advocates for adoption and have themselves adopted a child.

I like conservatives who consistently walk the talk.

John McCain served in the U.S. Navy and retired after surviving years as a POW.

I like conservatives who have fought for my country.

Senator McCain is the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services committee. With more than 130,000 American soldiers at war in Afghanistan and Iraq and the remainder of the Armed Forces fighting radical Islamic terrorism throughout the rest of the world, this member of the Armed Forces wants a Commander in Chief who is ready from the start.

Chuck Sharkey
Costa Mesa, CA

Posted by: csharkey001 | February 4, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

McNut,s reasons for Amnesty
McCain's God,s Children Argument!
Then there is they are all God,s children argument(Another McCain favor) well isn't everyone God,s children? If so then guess McCain is saying everyone and anyone has the right to Invade this Nation, waving their flags, demand their rights, while feasting at the trough of public welfare and Kill, Rape and Rob thousands of American citizens each year!

McCain's Lettuce Argument!
There's the "lettuce" argument -- we'll be paying $50/head (or starving)( McCain really likes this argument) if we don't have illegal aliens working in the fields. As Phil Martin, ag economist at UC Davis shows, the field labor cost in a $1 head of lettuce is about 6 cents. Triple those wages and Americans will do the jobs. (They're not career positions. They're seasonal jobs for young people, starting in the world of work. I have did similarly menial jobs.) And you'll be paying 10% more for lettuce and other produce. Do you spend $1,000/year on produce? OK, you'll pay $100 more.

The lettuce argument also parallels that for the retention of slavery.

Immigrant Argument!
There's the "everyone's an immigrant except for the 'Native Americans'" argument. Well, the American Indians didn't sprout from the land, they came across the Bering land bridge from Asia. So if the criterion is "You're an immigrant if you had an ancestor who immigrated here," then American Indians are immigrants, too.

In that case, "immigrant" is no longer a useful word, since Everyone's an immigrant.

Stole Southwest Argument!
There's the "the U.S. stole the southwest" argument. Well, the land in dispute was "owned" by Spain for a couple of centuries. Then by Mexico for about 25 years. During these periods, there weren't more than a few thousand Spaniards or Mexicans in the entire territory. It's been owned by the U.S. for about 160 years now, much longer than Mexico's reign. And the U.S. has actually done something with the land, made it habitable for tens of millions. As Robert Kaplan has described, the difference between American and Mexican "twin cities" straddling the border is like night and day, yet the land is obviously the same. It's not the dirt that's important, it's the people. Put another way, if culture didn't matter, Mexico and Central America would be paradise.

Illegal pay taxes Argument!

There's the "illegal aliens pay tons of taxes" argument. Sure, they all pay real estate taxes (in rent) and sales taxes (most states). Those working on the books (typically using stolen Social Security numbers) pay FICA and, perhaps, income taxes. But they're mostly ill-educated and low-skilled and pay very low taxes connected to their working -- in fact, most claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, i.e. negative income tax! If a family with both parents working has two kids in school, that's at least $15k/year just for schooling, way more than the taxes on, say, $35k/year aggregate income.

Robert Rector at the Heritage Foundation has done the systematic accounting on all this. A typical household headed by a low-skilled illegal alien is a net drain of about $20k/year for the rest of us, year after year. (Low-skilled Americans are a similar burden, but they're part of the national family, not gate crashers from other societies.)

Illegal Bad..Amnesty good Argument!

There's the "illegal immigration is bad, but make them citizens and problem solved" argument. Nope. If that were the case, legalizing (i.e. amnestying) the illegal aliens would solve the problem. But they'd still be (on average) low-skilled workers whose burden on the rest of us would continue. In fact, once legal they'd be able to access more public benefits programs, so their cost to the rest of us would actually rise substantially. In short, most of the problems of mass illegal immigration are shared by mass amnestying them.

Finally, I offer my distilled observations of what mass immigration is doing to our country based on living in southern California

The flood of immigrants drives wages and living conditions in our central cities toward those of the Third World.

- The influx imposes both sprawl and gridlock on our metropolitan areas.

- Immigrant families needing services overwhelm our schools, taxpayer-funded health care facilities, and other public agencies.

- Those requiring services don't assimilate and, instead, expect to be served in their native languages.

- American civic culture frays as each ethnic group establishes its own grievance lobby and pushes for preferences.

- Communicable diseases such as tuberculosis (new, drug-resistant strains) return.

- Shortages of water and other resources loom, especially in immigration-blitzed Southwest.
Most that come across our open borders come from countries where, Crime, Corruption, Poverty, Misery, Anti-education, and hate for Americans has existed for centuries and is normal. Should anyone be surprised they bring those same family values across the border with them?

Posted by: american1 | February 4, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Navigation: R \ Rich Mullins \ Creed

I believe in God the Father almighty
Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth
And in Jesus Christ
His only begotten Son, our Lord
He was conceived by the Holy Spirit
Born of the virgin Mary
Suffered under Pontius Pilate
He was crucified and dead and buried

CHORUS:
And I believe what I believe
Is what makes me what I am
I did not make it, no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not
The invention of any man

I believe that He who suffered
Was crucified, buried, and dead
He descended into hell and
On the third day, rose again
He ascended into Heaven where
He sits at God's mighty right hand
I believe that He's returning to
Judge the quick and the dead
Of the sons of men

CHORUS

I believe it, I believe it
I believe it
I believe it, I believe it

I believe in God the Father almighty
Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth
And in Jesus Christ His only begotten Son,
Our Lord
I believe in the Holy Spirit
One Holy Church, the communion of Saints
The forgiveness of sin
I believe in the resurrection
I believe in a life that never ends

CHORUS

I believe it, I believe
I believe it, I believe
I believe it, I believe it

Posted by: Phil6 | February 4, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

McCain,s Amnesty plan for Illegal Aliens was a slap in the face for every American and people that want to immigrant to this Nation legally and believe in our constitution and rule of law. He wants to reward people for breaking into this Nation and committing Numerous crimes while slopping at the trough of public welfare and demanding more right than Americans citizens that have obeyed the Law, paid the taxes, fought the wars and built this Nation. While the Uneducated Invaders cost on the average 22k per year in social benefits and more if they become citizens. All of this while Killing, Raping and robbing thousands of American Citizens every year!

Posted by: american1 | February 4, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Folks there may be 4 republicans still running for President but only two of them have a shot and even that could be a stretch after tomorrow. I like Huckabee however he doesn't have the support to even come close. Ron Paul, great ideas, I think a bit eccentric (Ross Perot like??) Get offended if you like but the only two candidates still with a chance are McCain (really a Democrat who says he's a republican) & Romney. Romeny talks like a CEO, good for business, not necessarily good for uniting a country and or foreign relations, and McCain who talks like the slimy politician he is and uses political fear tactics.

Seriously folks, how did we as conservatives come up with McCain & Romney as our two best choices?! I'd vote for Huckabee but he just is not going to make it. If it is McCain vs. Obama I'd vote for Obama. If it is McCain vs. Hillary I think h _ ll will have frozen over and I'll just cover my eyes and poke at the voting screen.

Posted by: jmeyers | February 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I have news for Mr. Huckabee: being the governor of a third-world state, Arkansas, does not qualify you for the President. We already learned that mistake from President Clinton. Nor does having a fake theology degree give you the education you need to run the world's largest economy.

I could care less what religion Mitt Romney is. All the candidates say they believe in God, and America has thousands of religions. What I care about is how I am going to keep my small business running when the dollar has lost 40% of its value and our jobs & factories are going overseas. Juan McCain's allegiance to the illegals is hurting Americans like me who want to give jobs to U.S. citizens.

I'm voting for Mitt Romney because he's the only candidate who ran a multibillion dollar business fixing numerous companies that would have otherwise gone extinct, ran the largest sporting event in history, fixed the biggest sports scandal in history, and brought one of the most liberal states back to a more conservative and financial position. Mr. Romney has an MBA and J.D. from Harvard, so I know that he has the educational background that a successful President needs.

I'm voting for Mitt.

Posted by: davidoehler | February 4, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: haysj | February 4, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

If McCain becomes the president, we will stay in Iraq forever. We will have another war with Iran. He needs to prove he is tough not in talk. Now it's the 21st Century, America can do better than a double-talk (for amnisty then against amnisty; against tax cut and now for tax cut; against Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell and now for Pat and Jerry) 72 years old. I really think he may die in office.

Ed in El Paso

Posted by: nnabao | February 4, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

It is past time for someone to help McNut on the Senile express and pick up his friend and partner in Treason the well known Socialist, Drunk and Murdered Kennedy and head for the nearest old folks home for the Senile and the Demented!

Posted by: american1 | February 4, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

jmwilding -

I truly believe that September Dawn is a true depiction of the activities that happened in 1857 and that the founding fathers of that church ordered it. The LDS church is a cult and has its own agenda. Mitt Romney is apart of that and it would be a mistake to vote Mitt Romney for President. I just want people to open thier eyes to the real issue here.

Posted by: haysj | February 4, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Senator John McCain's timetable accusation has been widely exposed as a smear. It is not the only false charge made against Governor Mitt Romney. Down the line one sees distortion after distortion.

For example, critics falsely charge that Romney flip-flopped on Immigration. The accusation: that Romney supported McCain-Kennedy in 2005 and instituted sanctuary cities as Governor of Massachusetts. The reality: sanctuary status was instituted on a city level outside Romney's purvue. With a liberal state legislature, the Governor was unable to act. Further, Romney did not endorse McLame's bill in 2005; he explicitly refused to endorse it. Romney did say that it was "reasonable" but the 2007 bill is very different from the 2005 bill; the provisions Romney objects to, like the z-visa, were NOT in the 2005 bill. Accordingly, his position did not change. The bill changed.

Critics falsely charge a "flip-flop" on the death penalty because Romney did not execute a single criminal. The truth is, Massachusetts does not have the death penalty--though Mitt Romney actively sought one.

They claim that Mitt Romney changed on gay marriage. But the fact is, Romney has consistently opposed gay marriage. They cite Romney's 1994 statement supporting gay rights, but the term "gay rights" had a different meaning in 1994 than it does today. They also claim that Romney supported Civil Unions. In truth, the issue of Civil Unions was discussed as a possible downgrade from the marriage law as imposed by the state high court. At the time, Romney stated that he would prefer to not have either.

They accuse Romney of changing on waiting periods for guns. The fact is, Romney supports background checks and technology has changed so waiting periods are no longer required for conducting background checks. A change in technology does not a change in position make.

They accuse Romney of refusing to comment on Bush's tax cuts. In fact, at the time Romney was trying to pass a budget through a liberal legislature--and wisely chose to stay out of national politics.

They also claim that the total tax burden went up under Romney. In some cases, these critics include taxes passed by the former governor which took effect during Romney term. In other cases, critics include city taxes. At the state level, taxes went down because Romney cut them.

They also claim that fees are akin to taxes. Surprisingly, many conservatives fail to understand the conservative nature of fees. A fee covers the cost for a special good or service (similar to paying a local business); when a fee is not high enough to cover the cost of the service provided, the taxpayer ends up subsidizing. Romney saved tax dollars by eliminating the taxpayer subsidizing of fees. To illustrate the conservative nature of fees, consider: if I lose my driver's license, should tax dollars be used to get me a new one or should I pay for it out of my own pocket?

With respect to Romney's claim to have seen his father march with Martin Luther King, they conveniently leave out not only the fact that George Romney led civil rights marches but that Martin Luther King Jr. said that George Romney would make a good president.

Another common charge is that Mitt Romney allowed for inexpensive abortion co-pays in his healthcare plan. In truth, it was a court decision and was not in the bill. The bill itself calls for privatized insurance. The court ruling requires the state to pay, in the case of abortion.

Also on abortion, they claim Romney forced private hospitals to provide rape victims "morning after" pills. The truth is, Romney vetoed the legislation. The legislature overrode Romney's veto and Romney told the Department of Public Health that they had to enforce the law even though he disagreed with it.

Every claim brought against Governor Romney is shown to be inaccurate. The truth about Governor Romney's statements and positions deserves to be heard by all.

Posted by: 4mythings | February 4, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Check out this NEWSWEEK article about McCain: http://www.newsweek.com/id/107581

How can anyone read this article and feel good about John McCain as president? He doesn't like CRITICISM? What the HECK is he running for president for? There's probably NO ONE in the world who attracts more criticism than the President of the US.

Do we want a president who's going to look for revenge against every person, in and outside the US, who offends his "honor"? That's FRIGHTENING!!

Let me just grab a few quotes from this article and you tell me if this is a man you really want running our country...

"...he can seem prickly, impetuous, vindictive--the sort of military martinet whose finger is supposed to be kept far from the button."

"There are a number of U.S. senators who can attest to McCain's repentance with handwritten apologies for his intemperance."

NOTE: I'm sure a handwritten note of apology after a yelling, profanity-filled rant, to Putin or Almadinejad or al-Maliki will do wonders for US relations.

"As an angry toddler, he would hold his breath until he passed out (his parents' cure was to drop him fully clothed into a bathtub of icy water)."

NOTE: So, this behavior is ingrained from birth.

"At Annapolis, he was, he writes, "a slob." He looked for authorities to subvert, settling on a bullying, second-year midshipman he and his friends dubbed "Sh---y Witty the Middy," and making life miserable for a by-the-book captain who was supposed to discipline him."

"...he was at best an average pilot, a daredevil, "kick-the-tires and light-the-fire" type who sacrificed careful preparation for more time at the O Club bar."

"He writes that he should have jinked to evade the missile, but out of stubbornness, or a mad kind of bravery, he flew straight on and toggled the bomb switch--just as the missile blew off the right wing of his plane."

NOTE: Think of the power the President holds. Do we want this kind of "stubborness"?

"...a number of senators and former lawmakers are still licking their wounds from run-ins with McCain."

""It's sad, really," says former senator Bob Smith of New Hampshire. "John McCain can tell a good joke and we can laugh, and I've had my share of good times with him." That is the side of McCain, says Smith, that the press sees. But behind the scenes lurks a less amiable McCain. "You can disagree without being disagreeable," says Smith. "And I don't think John is able to do that. If he disagrees with you, he does it in a way that is disagreeable.""

"The lore of "Senator Hothead," as McCain has been dubbed over the years, is considerable. McCain is widely reported to have yelled profanities at senators and even shoved one or two (including the late Strom Thurmond, a feisty nonagenarian at the time of the alleged incident). After McCain used an obscenity to describe Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa to his face in 1992, Grassley did not speak to McCain for more than a year."

"McCain snapped, "This is chickens---." Cornyn shot back that McCain shouldn't come parachuting in off the presidential-campaign trail at the last minute and start making demands. "F--- you," said McCain, in front of about 30 witnesses."

""I was surprised to find so many senators who'd had a personal experience when he'd lost his temper," says Cochran. "

""I certainly know no other president since I've been here who's had a temperament like that. There's some who were capable of getting angry, of course. Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter both. But this ..." His voice trailed away. "You like to think your president would be cool, calm and collected. He's commander in chief.""

""McCain reacts poorly when criticized," says Norquist. "When the NRA and the right-to-life and right-to-work groups criticized him, he reacted like they were personal attacks, and then he supported some gun-control legislation to get back at the NRA.""

"McCain wound up in the office of the then Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, yelling at the top of his lungs, say a Pentagon official and an adviser to Rumsfeld who declined to be identified"

"McCain may have a bit of a vindictive streak. "John has an enemies list longer than Nixon's," says a former Pentagon official who did not want to get on it. "And, unlike Nixon, McCain really does try to get you.""

"[McCain] snapped, "Don't try to change my mind," says a former aide who wished to avoid McCain's wrath by remaining anonymous."

"McCain's leadership skills are called into question by the near meltdown of his campaign. "Nobody knew who the boss was," says one of McCain's longtime friends and advisers"

I TELL YOU... THE MAN DESCRIBED IN THIS ARTICLE SCARES ME!

Posted by: 4mythings | February 4, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I listened to Mr. Romeny today and he convinced me I should vote for Senator McCain. Thanks Mitt!

Posted by: gary4books | February 4, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I can just see Americans climbing over each other in their hurry to pull the lever for more corporate tax cuts. We're going to bust down the doors to the polling places so we can have another businessman (!) president.

Romney has a solution for global warming, have you heard? Fire all the polar bears.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | February 4, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"But the nice thing about being the underdog is they typically win."

Um.... doesn't that conflict with the DEFINITION of "underdog"?

Posted by: PBL4 | February 4, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

vote for Rmney and than lets have a write in to send Mccain to Mexico

Posted by: jimmy_19462001 | February 4, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow funny to see that we have so many liberals that are proclaimed "republicans"! Im outraged by how many are voting or thinking about voting for John Mccain?! What President is in favor of not following the law?! If your wondering about what im talking about, im talking about Illegal Immigration. To think that John Mccain is going to allow 12 million illegal immigrants citizenship is just rediculous!
I understand they want opportunities to live in this great nation but the point is they are illegal! You hear that? Illegal! You wont find me voting for a president that doesn't respect American Laws! If you want a President who will save the economy and respects the constitution pick Mitt Romney! "The True Republican Conservative"

Posted by: andrewthewiz316 | February 4, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

haysj,

You are what is wrong with this country! Anyone who would base their precious right to vote on a biased b-movie doesn't deserve a vote!

That would be like someone deciding on their choice of candidate based on watching Letterman or SNL!

Vot Mitt!

Posted by: jmwilding | February 4, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

haysj--

If you actually believe what "september dawn" purports actually happened than you are grossly deluded. At least get both sides of the story before you let your bigotry show.

Posted by: DCWill | February 4, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

haysj--

Posted by: DCWill | February 4, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Romney will deliver, despite the media's latest attempts to suppress all outporing of support for him.

Mitt just won Maine, and no one is talking about it. The latest Zogby poll of CA has Romney winning by over 7 points and no one is reporting on it. He is clearly the most qualified person running on either side.

Oh and anyone who thinks Huckabee is running for anything other than McCain's VP is deluding themselves. He won only one contest, Iowa and now exists only to suck votes from Romney.

Posted by: DCWill | February 4, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I would ask all Republicans that are considering voting for Romney to please check out the movie "September Dawn". I ask this because I want to make known the origins of the Mormon religion and not to make light of the LDS church on the consultation on Romney's campaign and, if elected, his presidential office. I back Mike Huckabee as the conservative candidate and would encourage all to do so with my same conservative values. Thanks.

Posted by: haysj | February 4, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Republicans are in fact faced with a two-man race, because Huckabee is not running for president, but for McCain's vice-president.

Huckabee's fawning adoration of McCain and his increasingly strident attacks on Romney make that glaringly obvious.

The only dirty trick in play is the back-room deal that recruited the McHuck tag team.

Conservatives, wake up. Do we really want a Jimmy Carter clone one heartbeat away from the presidency?

Vote Romney and get the real deal!

Tracy Hall Jr
hthalljr'gmail'com

Posted by: hthalljr | February 4, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Marine Patriot - Hmmm. Romney has the "courage" to make robocalls falsely claiming it's a 2-man race, but couldn't face the youth of America in tonight's big MTV/My Space debate. Only Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul cared enough to show up for the GOP, along with Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. Maybe Romney misspoke in his calls. He meant to say he's a 2-faced man in the race.

Posted by: mike | February 4, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Romney should be the Republican nominee. Running McCain is like running Bob Dole. An old man with no vision and energy. Romney is clearly the smartest and most ethical person for the job.

Posted by: samasfl | February 4, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

If Mitt can't find anyone better than Santorum to stump for him, he's going to be the only one who's surprised.

Posted by: ComfortablyDumb | February 4, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Once again, NO mention of the 4th candidate, Dr. Ron Paul. A committed and consistent patriot, this guy intends to go all the way to the Convention (regardless of the delegate count) where he cannot be ignored and minimised. Once he finally gets some real AIR-TIME & reportage, and his message gets out there, the real surprise may be at the Convention. If you haven't checked his positions, his voting record and his personal story, I urge you to do so. He's like a 'virus" - once you listen, you find yourself "infected".

As far as I can tell, he's the ONLY candidate on either side who has a clearly stated principled position (Constitutionalist), from which a consistent agenda naturally emerges.

The other candidates shrink in his presence, with their flip-flopping on positions, candy-floss sound bites, hollow rhetoric without substance. It becomes apparent just how self-serving they really are.

Ron Paul is the ONLY ONE telling it like it is - the inconvenient truth - truth about deficit spending, fiat money, tax rorts and corruption, pointless and expensive wars against nothing in particular, while the US crumbles under the weight of a failing infrastructure and an entitlement system that is crippling.

AND - he has ANSWERS...not vague promises about "change" and "bringing back the American dream" (what happened to that anyway?)

Oh - co-incidentally, Ron Paul is the only candidate that is NOT a member of the CFR.No need to wonder why he gets so little press coverage.

Posted by: mike | February 4, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Mitt Romney is a brilliant business man with a sound moral character. He is the best candidate I have ever see run for president since Regan and I have been waiting for a long time. Considering the current scope of America's economic problems do we really think it's a good idea to destroy the one person that has the proven abilities to restore the economy? I have seen Mitt in action and he is a problem solver with vision.

I've never seen a more concerted effort to destroy a man's character than what the media and the so called Republican insiders are doing to Mitt now. It's almost as though there's an unspoken conspiracy to destroy this man. Do the American people have a death wish?

So what will be the plan after Mitt packs his bags and calls it a day who will fill the void another George Bush clone? No the Republicans and America will never stand a chance with McCain. McCain is a proven liberal disaster with nothing on his resume but so called public service.

Yes it's true that Mitt isn't an insider but the current status quo Washington insiders are the blame for America's economic disaster. I can only imagine what McCain's approach to repairing the economy would be once he understands he can't drop a bomb on it. Americans must understand that a strong national defense is built upon a strong national economy. Somebody has to pay for the bombs. How much money can we keep taking from the treasury? If we had a national energy policy we wouldn't have to use our military to secure our oil supply. Yes a 100 year war sounds about right.
Go Mitt!

Posted by: dadofu4 | February 4, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

FOX NEWS SAYS ROMNEY HAS USED A DIRTY TRICK. YOU MUST SEE THIS!

HE HAS BEEN PUSH CALLING BY THE MILLIONS SAYING, IN HIS OWN VOICE THAT IT IS NOW A 2 MAN RACE. (EVEN THOUGH POLLS HAVE HIM TIED WITH HUCKABEE)

IMPLYING EVERYONE ELSE HAS DROPPED OUT!

DON'T BELIEVE ME? THE YOUTUBE VIDEO IS A NEWS BROADCAST BY FOX NEWS. ROMNEY IS SLIMY

PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO:

(make sure you copy and paste the entire link into your browser)

The Super Tuesday surprise is going to be him losing!!!!!

Posted by: marinepatriot | February 4, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"Romney Promises Super Tuesday Surprise"
That's fine as long as he steps down if he doesn't keep his promise.

Posted by: DROSE1 | February 4, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse