Sources: Romney to Exit the Race

Republican presidential hopeful former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney arrives in the parking lot of his campaign headquarters in Boston on Wednesday. (AP).

Updated at 12:29 p.m.
By Chris Cillizza
Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney will suspend his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, according to sources within his inner circle.

A number of those sources said a decision could come as soon as his speech at the Conservative Political Action Committee conference this afternoon.

Romney was set to speak with his finance committee just before addressing the conservative gathering.

Continue reading at The Fix »

By Web Politics Editor  |  February 7, 2008; 12:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama and the L-Word
Next: Romney Ends Presidential Bid

Comments

What's so "Libertarian" about Ron Paul? I always thought defending the constitution was a REPUBLICAN trait. If Paul's a "Libertarian in Republican clothing," what does that make the rest of the candidates? "Neo-cons in Republican clothing?" The GOP ain't what it used to be, and people hate Paul because he's more consistent than any Neo-con clone out there running for president.

But that aside, I'm glad Romney's out. Sorry to hate on Mormons but I wouldn't want a Mormon president. I would have probably considered him if he didn't wear his religion on his sleeve and made a big deal of it when he did. Politicians need to keep their religion to themselves. (Not to mention, what a war-mongering LUNATIC!)

Posted by: kogejoe | February 7, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

CELEBRATION

Yahoo! This is your celebration
Yahoo! This is your celebration

Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)
Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)

There's a party goin' on right here
A celebration to last throughout the years
So bring your good times, and your laughter too
We gonna celebrate your party with you

Come on now

Celebration
Let's all celebrate and have a good time
Celebration
We gonna celebrate and have a good time

It's time to come together
It's up to you, what's your pleasure

Everyone around the world
Come on!

Yahoo! It's a celebration
Yahoo!

Celebrate good times, come on!
It's a celebration
Celebrate good times, come on!
Let's celebrate

We're gonna have a good time tonight
Let's celebrate, it's all right
We're gonna have a good time tonight
Let's celebrate, it's all right

Baby...

We're gonna have a good time tonight (Ce-le-bra-tion)
Let's celebrate, it's all right
We're gonna have a good time tonight (Ce-le-bra-tion)
Let's celebrate, it's all right

Yahoo!
Yahoo!

Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)
Celebrate good times, come on!
It's a celebration!
Celebrate good times, come on! (Let's celebrate)

(ad lib)

Come on and celebrate, good times, tonight (Celebrate good times, come on!)
'Cause everything's gonna be all right
Let's celebrate (Celebrate good times, come on)
(Let's celebrate

Posted by: BOBSTERII | February 7, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

This is very disappointing. America loses because of her own bigotry. What goes around, comes around. Sigh.

What now?

Well, Ron Paul may be a Christian -- his only flaw as far as I can tell -- but he is not the usual kind of hateful Christian that spouts anti-everyone-but-me speech.

Ron Paul doesn't display religious symbols in ads so that dim-witted people will like him.

Ron Paul does not abuse his religion to manipulate voters on matters of state.

Ron Paul is actually RIGHT about a good number of things! It's hard to hear, but he is right....

Where do Romney's delegates go now...? Hopefully to Ron Paul!

Posted by: carolm62 | February 7, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Boy, the narrower this race gets, I'm surprised that I'm wishing Fred Thompson was still in the running.

Posted by: skulldugger7 | February 7, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

IF Mr Romney has suspended his campaign,then I applaud his decision.
I don't know the Guy,so I can't critisise him.
I'd like to say it was a clean campaign,but I can't,because it wasn't.
I'd like to say it was an honest campaign,
but I can't,because it wasn't.
Now here comes the politically incorrect bit : Truely Mr Romney,if it wasn't for the Mormon Baggage,I would have supported you.There,I've said it.

Posted by: useyourbrain1 | February 7, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

If Mitt Romney holds true to form he will probably change his mind and get back in the race sometime next week.

Posted by: jamesroche_2002 | February 7, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Bye-bye, Flip Flopper. We hardly knew you -- or your sorry attempts to buy the Presidency!!

Posted by: KYJurisDoctor | February 7, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Game over! Bob Dole won again, and Bob Dole will lose again in November. Only problem is by then half of Mexico will be voting in the U.S. Presidential election in 2012 and no real conservative will ever win or be nominated again. The conservative party as we know it just died with Romney.

Posted by: slr383838 | February 7, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

One down. Two to go!

Posted by: mikemetcalf | February 7, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul's not a Republican - he's a Libertarian in Republican clothing.

Posted by: mnero | February 7, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand what it is McCain has said or done that neocons consider him a liberal. Romney was pro-choice, pro-gay rights when he needed to be. Now all of a sudden he's touted as some kind of conservative while McCain, who is very anti-choice and anti-human rights (and wants to bomb Iran for no reason) is seen as too liberal.

Posted by: Cheryl3 | February 7, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

If I were Romney, I would stay in just in case McCain blew up.

Posted by: JakeD | February 7, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, that would leave two liberals and Ron Paul. I would hold my nose and go for Paul--at least he is a Goldwater Republican with conservative credentials.

Posted by: navymanusna | February 7, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse