The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Barack Obama

Scranton Gets to Meet Candidate O'Bama

By Shailagh Murray
SCRANTON, Pa. -- Sen. Barack Obama introduced himself to Electric City on Monday night with a borrowed green tie (he'd forgotten to pack one) and a big smile, determined to win over working-class women in northeastern Pennsylvania.

The guest speaker at the annual Society of Irish Women dinner was welcomed by Evie Rafalko McNulty, the county recorder of deeds, who told him, "This is Lackawanna County's lipstick jungle here."

Judging from the tepid applause in some pockets of the room as Obama walked to the lectern, plenty of Hillary Clinton supporters were in his midst.

Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day, including Barack "O'Bama," as the green signs read outside the hotel, where supporters waged a spirited chanting battle with the local Clinton crowd. Obama has traced one of his ancestors to Moneygall in County Offaly; apparently, the Illinois senator comes from shoemaking stock. "It never hurts to be a little Irish when you're running for the presidency," Obama said, departing after 10 minutes to notably louder applause.

Julie Judge, a local Obama supporter who was attending the dinner, conceded that the Scranton area "is much more for Hillary." In her phone calls to voters, "I won't say I haven't had some negative reactions." But she added, "He needs to come here. He needs to go to these smaller cities, and if he does, people can see him for themselves."

Posted at 9:01 PM ET on Mar 17, 2008  | Category:  Barack Obama
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Gary Hart Takes a Few More Swings | Next: A McCain Gaffe in Jordan

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Hillary and Bill Clinton were hounded by the republican , the ultra right wing , and the evangelists for the entire time of Bill Clintons Presidency. A time which was the best in the USA in the last 40 yrs. They survived the partisan attacks but now the Barack Husein Obama people are trying to use these unfounded attacks as foder against Hillary. Who is BHO anyway ? The disiple of a renegade , racist minister with the speach techniques of a tele-evangelists who lulls people into a mindless , unquestioning allegience as cult members of their new savior. WAKE UP AMERICA , he is a false prophet who will promise you anything but has no history of delivering anything.

Posted by: Americanworker | March 23, 2008 6:26 PM

most of these comments as elsewhere are ignorant, ill informed (almost a tautology), illiterate, and full of vitiriol and hated.

quite frankly, these blogs seem to attract total wackos like a bear to honey

Posted by: don | March 19, 2008 4:47 AM

Don't fool yourself. Obama is just another politician! I really want him out!

I am a Democrat, if it is between Obama and McCain, I am voting for McCain.

Posted by: eyc | March 18, 2008 4:23 PM

stburke40: Go on home your mother's calling, your father just fell out of his rocking chair.!

One little fact of life for Huessein: Why does he have to give speech and apoligize for his beliefs? Poor boy has not and never will learn how to be a true American. While he is picking up his father, he should pack his bags for Islem and take his pal Pastor with him. And come clean with the people of America, salute the flag, turn turn your back on our flag . This is the Land We Love!

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | March 18, 2008 1:15 PM

I THOUGHT WE WERE INTO A CAMPAIGN ON POLITICAL AND WORLD ISSUES. OBAMA CANNOT TALK ABOUT THOSE THINGS, SO HE HAS ONLY ONE CHOICE; HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS AND HOW HE CAN INFLUENCE THE COUNTRY HE IS RIGHT TO BECOME PRESIDENT ON THAT BASIS.

WE HAVE JUST GONE THROUGH EIGHT YEARS OF THAT CRAP AND THE COUNTRY IS PAYING THE PRICE. PLEASE AMERICA, NOT AGAIN

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | March 18, 2008 1:06 PM

Summing up Hussein. HE IS OFFENSIVE AND DISPLAYS SUPERIORITY AND SELF IMPORTANCE WITHOUT SUBSTANCE OR KNOWLEDGE . HE IS COCKY AND BETTER WATCH HIS STEP.

HIS WIFE BETTER NOT START PACKING HER BELONGINGS, AT LEAST NOT FOR THE WHITE HOUSE! HER HUSBAND IS A VERY DECEITFUL MAN, HASEN'T SHE NOTICED?

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | March 18, 2008 12:49 PM

Posted by: LOONYBIN2000 | March 18, 2008 12:48 PM

Can someone please tell me why Mr. Obama is getting such a tough time over what his pastor said. not him, pastor Richard Shaefer said and denounced America and was invited to the white house by Ford; Reagan; Bush Sr. what is the difference why can one so something the same and get invited to the white house I really can not understand that it is not fair to Mr. Obama.Please America do your history this is a true fact so help me god!

Posted by: USA2 | March 18, 2008 12:20 PM

By the way, svliar _has posted_ that Hillary, Bill AND CHELSEA are all straight. Now he's posted I'm gay.

I'm fascinated as to how he would know all of this ... although, he told me I was in a whole lot of trouble as my exposes of his lies had bought myself a lawsuit. So I'm posting this while hiding under my bed.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 18, 2008 11:53 AM

gbooksdc has a fixation on me.

He's gay, and upset that I'm not.

Love is a dangerous thing.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 11:17 AM
___________________________________________

Instead of disputing a factual assertion about you that I have made, you've gone to the "you're gay" card.

We're adults here, svliar, we can all see through that junior high ploy. You can't dispute my facts. You say you've read a book but you can't name an author or publisher, therefore, you are making it all up. Just the latest in a string of lies of yours that I have documented.

But since you want to talk about who's gay, your girl Hillary is rumored to be carrying on with her Muslim aide Huma Abedin (Google it -- I don't make it up like svliar does). Since Bill's BJs with Monica paralyzed the country and nearly brought down his Presidency, it seems to me some reporter with guts should ask her about it. I wonder if they share the same room on the campaign trail?

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 18, 2008 11:47 AM

gbooksdc has a fixation on me.

He's gay, and upset that I'm not.

Love is a dangerous thing.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 11:17 AM
___________________________________________

But since you want to talk about whose gay, your girl Hillary is rumored to be carrying on with her Muslim aide Huma Abedin (Google it -- I don't make it up like svliar does). Since Bill's BJs with Monica paralyzed the country and nearly brought down his Presidency, it seems to me some reporter with guts should ask her about it. I wonder if they share the same room on the campaign trail?

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 18, 2008 11:47 AM

gbooksdc has a fixation on me.

He's gay, and upset that I'm not.

Love is a dangerous thing.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 11:17 AM

**************************
You know everytime you post such s**t, your credibility goes further down, SVRETARD. And I don't think homophobia is a part of the Clinton campaign, is it? And as usual, you didn't answer the questions put to you, but went right to the insult. Is that the way you run your "company", SVRETARD/CEO?

Posted by: LABC | March 18, 2008 11:44 AM

Don't piss down our backs and tell us its raining, Barry, White People aren't as stupid as your think we are!!!

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 10:32 AM

**********************
Fantasy of yours, SVRETARD?

Posted by: LABC | March 18, 2008 11:40 AM

Much ado about nothing! The Reverend Robertson said the same thing about Katrina and Falwell about the fall of the two towers. There are few secular opionators who defend this nations present course. The last time I looked, President Bush got less than a 20% approval rating. This Red Foxx type ranteur is colorful and invigorating as were Falwell and Robertson. I don't believe that Senator Obama said that he would consult with the Rev before making policy decisions. A tempest in a teacup blown up by the MSM to discredit Obama. It will pass, but it does make me want to know about the other candidates religion and how much their religion is directed to community work and how much to meaningless ritual!

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 10:20 AM
********************************
You could never post this as much as the drivel that is posted by SVRETARD. He is allegedly a CEO of a silicon valley corporation who alleges to have contacts in Washington. Thank you for your insighful post and I hope that you continue to do so. Ignore SVRETARD - he is a some sad poster whose inflated fantasy resume feeds into his pathological need to post the same s**t over and over again. Someday, there will be cure for SVRETARD.

Posted by: LABC | March 18, 2008 11:39 AM

gbooksdc has a fixation on me.

He's gay, and upset that I'm not.

Love is a dangerous thing.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 11:17 AM

gbooksdc is a paid Obama thug.

The most racist thing about Obama's supporters is their total lack of compassion for the people of all colors that suffered and froze to death in "Obama's slums"

They don't care what Obama's done and who he's shafted.

They just want to win.

People who rave about Obama's "principles" make me want to puke.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 11:15 AM

Also, (a) YOU have not challenged any factual assertions I've made. I've quoted you dozens of times; the only one you challenged (God is a Democrat, 'member?) you first claimed was "total BS", then -- after I provided the cite -- you said I was a liar. You implicitly admitted I was right, though, when you said it was a "lighthearted comment". So while you may not like what I post, I have 100% credibility. Especially on the subject of you.

(b) I am not paid by the Obama campaign or anyone connected to it. I do this on my own. It is exhilarating to advance the cause of truth every time I prove you've lied. It took an hour and a half to go through hundreds of pages of your posts to find the "God is a Democrat" line, and when I found it -- I knew it was there -- it was worth every second.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 18, 2008 11:14 AM

Cry all you want, fella. You haven't disputed one element of the following:

1. You claim to have read a book in "galleys".

2. When pressed, you cannot name this book's author or publisher.

3. The book cannot be found on Google or Amazon.

4. There is no proof the book actually exists.

You have zero credibility about something you claim to know something about. By extension, you have zero credibility regarding things you do not know anything about, which means you have zero credibility, period.

Oh, and my motivation? Defending the truth. It's as simple as that. (Although I grant the truth is a difficult concept for you to get your brain around.)

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 18, 2008 11:06 AM

It was one thing for Senator McCain to campaign in Iraq when he was looking for those sycophantic jingoists in the primary season, but to look for photo opportunities in Baghdad in the general election is wasting money that he does't have. Maybe he just wants to stay out of town for a while. Of course he probably flew over there at taxpayer expense, and that's fine for a reform minded Senator on a shoestring Presidential campaign budget. I'm afraid that if he continues to campaign for war, he may be inducted into the warlover's hall of fame but be brushed off as a senile aspirant for the American Presidency. All the windmills are over here, John. Listen up!

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 11:00 AM

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 11:00 AM

Obama is as clean as a baby's bottom, right after you notice that baby's diaper really, really, needs to be changed.

Obama is as slimy and crooked a Chicago Politician as they come.

Obama supporters that talk about how "clean" Barry Obama is make me want to puke.

Do some reasearch, fella's.

Obama's clean as a cesspool.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 10:50 AM

gbooksdc is lying and has no credibility.

He's a paid Obama thug.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 10:48 AM

Hillary Clinton's supporters like SVReader are mad, because they thought she would win this election easily. Unfortunately [for them], the people IA and PA don't want another politician that won't be upfront and honest with them.

Example 1: While Hillary won't release her tax returns, Barack is brave enough to address "race" is national speech.

Example 2: Hillary won't disclose her earmarks. She also won't disclose the exact ammount raised by Norman Hsu.

Barack has released information on all of his earmarks. He has also been upfront on all Rezko related money.

Obama has taken the steps to prove his integrity. Clinton has not. All Clinton supporters can do is speak heresy.

Obama 2008.

Posted by: ChrisStewart | March 18, 2008 10:48 AM

Why do Obama supporters go to such extreme lengths to surpress any information that conflicts with Obama's carefully crafted public image?

Why do they viciously attack any person who posts anything that shows that their emperor has no clothes?

They tell us to "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"

For our own sakes, and that of our children and our world, we must.

Obama is the great OZ. A tempest in a teapot.

They cult of Obama, like all cults of personality, is full of sound and fury, but, in reality, signifies nothing.

Hillary is quietly competent.

She knows how to sit down, do the work, and get results.

She's going to be a great President.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 10:44 AM

Nobody likes to be played for a fool. ...

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 10:32 AM
____________________________________________

You're as believable as that "Obama's Slums" book you claim to have read in "galleys" -- except you can't name the author or the publisher, and it doesn't exist on Google or at Amazon. (And books aren't edited in "galleys", as you tried to slide by until I pulled your card. A book in "galleys" is about to be printed.) You are lying and you have no credibility.

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 18, 2008 10:44 AM

The gotcha media have shrilled a dozen times that they had Senator Obama cornered, but he must be teflonic, for it all slides away from him as if it never happened. I think that people will elect our President, this cycle, based on the candidates attributes that are applicable to getting the job done. We've had 16 years of compelet incompetence and it has taken our nation down to the pits. We've looking for competence and the only thing we have to go by is the appearances of the candidates before the public. Can he speak? Can she speak? Can he think? Can she think? Has he made a lot of mistakes? Has she made a lot of mistakes? I am speaking of the Democrats. Whichever one wins the nomination will become the President.

I am not sure that McCain wants the position anymore. Where is his mistress anyway?

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 10:41 AM

The sooner Obama drops out, the better.

Nobody's going to believe anything he says after all the whoppers he's told.

Obama reminds me of the old simpson's episode where Bart becomes famous for the line "I didn't do it"

It got old quick and so has Obama.

His liie about not knowing what was being preached in his church was so stupid even he couldn't sell it.

The press has got to wake up and smell the coffee.

Unless they want McCain to be President, Democrats have got to dump this guy as fast as he's dumped people that made him look bad.

There is no way in the world white people are going to vote for him now that we know what he really thinks of us.

I feel used, and I wasn't even for the guy.

Imagine how upset people who believed in him and put their hopes and dreams in him are going to feel.

If he wants to have any chance of any career in the future, Obama's got to drop out right now.

If he tries to push it, he's going to wind up losing "big time"

Anyone who feels any different doesn't understand how it feels when you know you've been "played"

That's what Barry Obama has done to America.

Nobody likes to be played for a fool.

That's what Obama's done to people.

Posted by: svreader | March 18, 2008 10:32 AM

I apologize for the repeated entries. It was not deliberate!

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 10:27 AM

It's unfortunate in these days and times that race is still such a big issue. The economy is going under, families are starving and these are the ones with jobs, let alone the others.Our country has been divided vary obviously by class and a class clown.Instead of the media covering who's positions best serves all the people. We are worried about what one candidates minister says. So what he's not running for office. Over the years a number of conservative candidates and their religious leaders have made extreme statements that have received very little scrutiny from the press. But it's sexier to fan the race and division flame. None of the candidates deserve this kind of treatment and the people certainly don't. Get real people come into this century.

Posted by: tuphat | March 18, 2008 10:22 AM

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 10:20 AM

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 10:20 AM

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 10:20 AM

Posted by: cebowman | March 18, 2008 10:20 AM

First we were told that Obama is secretly a Muslim who will the Muslim jihad agenda as President.

Then we are told he is under the control of a fanatic Christian pastor who is un-American.

I love religious bigotry in politics as much as the next bigot, but can't we get our stories straight?

Next, we will find out Obama is REALLY a Mormon who worships a false prophet!

Posted by: vmathis | March 18, 2008 10:12 AM

I am voting because of the candidates themselves. What THEY have to say. I don't believe any of them are Manchurian Sleeper terrorists and I judge their character and policy by what comes out of their mouths and what they have done in their careers.

Mr. Obama has shown a career of looking out for the people who need it and trying to bring people to the table to talk. If I end up voting for him I will decide that history was important. I am not making a choice because of someone he knows.

There does seem like a real strange hysteria over this. There has never been this kind of indignation over many of the the other ministers who say unpopular things. They can rail against sinful America or blame Aids and 911 on how wicked were are... or go off on Muslims or Catholics or who knows what and they don't get this kind of airplay.

I can only guess that some of the extreme indignation comes because this man is black OR some of the uber indignant would really like to puncture Mr. Obama's appeal for political reasons.

Posted by: Annie11 | March 18, 2008 9:56 AM

Consider that the Rev wright is the pastor of an 8000 strong church. He is a preacher, he moves and he inspires. Hyperbole is a common rherotical device. Shock is a common rhetorical device. Why then be surprised that some of his statements are extreme and shocking?

But if you say: "that is not enough. How can he say these things?", then ask that question properly. He served six years in the forces (Marines and Navy), thirty six years as pastor bringing people to God; how can he say such things?

The America of its own ideals does not exist just through belief - it is sustained through action, through vigilence.

When people like the Rev Wright criticize America, they do it not to bring her down but to defend her, to call its patriots to action, to fight so that America can achieve her people's dreams.

When people like the Rev Wright criticize America, we need to step up not turn away, we need to be brave enough to listen, and we need to find a President who will safeguard the America of our ideals.

Posted by: gerard | March 18, 2008 8:36 AM

Cute but desperate. Kind of like the candidate himself...

Posted by: parkerfl | March 18, 2008 7:45 AM

Obama has a way to go in convincing voters in Pennsylvania that he's not a reflection of his now former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, columnist Ruth Ann Dailey expressed her cynicism concerning Obama denouncing his Pastor's statements, mentioning that "Wright doesn't separate politics from religion, and neither, judging from their hallelujahs, do his congregants. Letters to the editor in both the Post-Gazette and the Philadelphia Enquirer show people not only concerned about the racist overtones of Wright's clips, but also patriotism, as people have taken offense at his statement of "God Damn America".

This is the first time probably in the history of primary elections that a candidate is being raked over the coals for what his Pastor said in his sermons. This issue of Race has to be dealt with. Anytime a picture of Obama in Kenyan garb is shown just days before a primary (Ohio), and then a 60 minutes piece shows three men drinking beers just outside Cincinnati being asked about who they'll vote for, and they say 'not Obama, he's a Muslim, should tell you something about this campaign season. They had to be told while the camera was running that Obama is not a Muslim. And now his Christianity is questioned by the way Jeremiah Wright presents his sermons.

Obama's got his work cut out for him. Race is the subject that just will not go away in the Democratic Primaries. Who would expect it to; Race has been the subject of consternation in this country for centuries.

Posted by: jrev7620042000 | March 18, 2008 7:28 AM

I FOR ONE AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE ALLEGATIONS OF IMPROPER CAUCUS TACTICS USED BY OBAMA SUPPORTERS...worth a look

Another Report of Improper Obama Caucus Tactics:

Posted by: thinktank | March 18, 2008 5:16 AM

There is no doubt that there are hopes that Wright will be Obama's 'swiftboat' but I ask Americans to consider, are the alternatives really more palatable? Who are you giving power over to - not just the candidates themselves - if you buy into this? Do you think needed change will be effected if you play into this? Do you react simply or do you evaluate critically? Is this just a test of Obama or is it also a test of the American people?

Posted by: JayKay2 | March 18, 2008 3:47 AM

I have a thought for those on this thread who continue to chant that the Democrats will suffer a great defeat in November.
Perhaps you need to take a moment and look around at our country.

When I look around, here are a few things that I see:

* A continuing war in Iraq that has cost our nation nearly 4,000 young kids killed (17 more dead so far in March), and moreover nearly 25,000 wounded - many, many of them grievously wounded. Patreaus can tamp down violence - but when do we win?

* A continuing war in Iraq that is costing our treasury about 10 BILLION dollars each and every month with many other hidden costs, including the incalculable loss of our respect and honor in the world community.

* An attenuated effort in Afghanistan - curtailed by the drain on our armed forces and treasury of an ill-conceived and hopelessly mismanaged effort in Iraq.

* A housing mortgage collapse that is driving down the value of all of our homes - for most of us our homes are our greatest investment and we are losing money everyday.

* A credit market collapse that dwarfs the mortgage industry problems and is threatening the very foundation of our capitalist society - here and among our allies. Today with the $30 BILLION underwriting of Bear Stearns - the Fed takes another step towards the cliff.

* Gasoline prices at the pump predicted to rise past $4.60 per gallon by the end of May.

* Tens of thousands of workers losing their jobs every month and the nation teetering on the edge of a very serious recession which will bring hundreds of thousands of layoffs and industry closures.

What else -- take a moment and look around. Examine the total voter turnout in the 40 primary and caucus states who have cast ballots thus far. -- Notice anything?

I've noticed an overwhelming number of new voters and "recovered" voters rising from their "couches" and making the trek to the polls to cast a vote.

They are voting Democratic by more than a 2 to 1 majority. Why? George W. Bush. Here is a quote from this very newspaper - yesterday:

"It's no mystery," said Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.). "You have a very unhappy electorate, which is no surprise, with oil at $108 a barrel, stocks down a few thousand points, a war in Iraq with no end in sight and a president who is still very, very unpopular. He's just killed the Republican brand."

Well, you chorus - just you wait for John McCain !!!

My friends - the old Republican warrior has once again accepted the challenge to serve his country -- and he will throw himself on the grenade of the George W. Bush legacy. But he knows, and we know that he will not win the Presidency. And, the Republicans know that huge majorities in both houses of Congress will go to the Democrats.

November 2008 is going to be an electoral disaster for the Republican Party - thanks in the most part to the guidance of Dick Cheney, the ineptitude of Don Rumsfield, and the blind stubbornness of their "boss" - the Dunce of D.C.

We are going to have a Democrat in the White House and huge majorities of Democrats in both houses of the Congress.

And, they will face the most God-awful mess that this country has seen since the Great Depression. But, just like when FDR took on the task then - the Democrats will save our nation.

So - to all the angry Bush apologists watching this disaster slowly unfold before your eyes - you are now experiencing what we felt when the neo-cons duped the dope into invading Iraq. You had better take a deep breath and try to figure how you are going to survive the next 16 years -- because in your hearts.... you KNOW THIS -- you are going to do it with a Democrat in the Oval Office.

Posted by: gandalfthegrey | March 18, 2008 2:24 AM

Obama needs some major work in PA and on the now also on the WWW too. See;

Pennsylvania Primary- Hillary vs. Barack:
The Google Factor:

Posted by: davidmwe | March 18, 2008 2:15 AM

No matter how unfortunate this incident is to Sen. Obama, I think that the Super Delegates will exercise their wisdom and see that Sen. Obama will have no chance of winning the general election and thus throw their support to the only other Democratic nominee, no matter how disliked she may be. I truly think that even Mr. Obama is realizing the damage done and I hope that his speech, over which he is agonizing to write, even though it will come down to "dumn if I do and dumn if I don't," will set the record straight about his previous inconsistencies, and hopefully down the road the American people may give him another chance!

Posted by: maitami | March 18, 2008 1:48 AM

Ok, Scranton, here is what the Obama supporters say about you:
-------------------------------------------
"HRC has Scranton roots? I guess that helps explain a few things about her.

Bear in mind that Scranton was a close runner-up to Battle Mountain, NV, when WaPo announced the offical "Armpit of America" a few years ago. That Scranton didn't win outright was attributed to the Scrantonites' (Scrantonians?) tendency to be defiantly proud of their city's total lack of merit.

They know their town sucks and they don't care--it's not their problem, it's yours, and if you don't like it you can take a hike over to Wilkes-Barre thank-you-very-much.

The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, does it?"

Posted by: ablackstormy | March 11, 2008 01:02 PM

Posted by: jcmdstep1 | March 18, 2008 1:25 AM

I will be digging up all the insulting comments the Obama supporters made about the residents of Scranton when Hillary visited and I will be posting them shortly.

Posted by: jcmdstep1 | March 18, 2008 1:20 AM

The hypocrites are you Hillary fans...boy how Hillay went after that guy running for New york senate for not exposing his tax returns...and look at her now. Wake up you idiots...read the McClatchey paper about your sweet Hillary and what a liar she is. Not excluding credit for things she didnt even do as part of her experience. She's a joke and will do anything to win. Well if she is the candidate...my vote goes to McCain...as well as other Obama people.

Posted by: Webster51 | March 18, 2008 12:56 AM

Just remember his words don't matter. His words are nothing but lies. The man is a hypocrit and his campaign is a farce.

Posted by: TALVES | March 18, 2008 12:39 AM

It seems that the people who are so self-righteous about Obama's connection to Wright are condemning him on religious and/or patriotic grounds.
It doesn't seem very Christian to me to condemn Wright and Obama based on a 30 second sound-bite out of a 40 year career. By all accounts, Reverend Wright has done a lot of good work and given a lot of loving, hopeful sermons. Why not take a more charitable, Christian view?
As to the patriots--what happened to freedom of speech? What happened to "I disagree with what you say; but, I defend to the death your right to say it"?
Obama has conducted himself without reproach during this campaign. I know I don't agree with the politics of my church (Catholic); but, no one has ever asked me to leave the church or to justify why I sit there every sunday.
At the very least, people should listen to Obama's speech tomorrow with open minds.

Posted by: SueB2 | March 17, 2008 10:58 PM

Obama has conducted himself without approach during this campaign. I know I don't agree with the politics of my church (Catholic); but, no one has ever asked me to leave the church or to justify why I sit there every sunday.

Posted by: SueB2 | March 17, 2008 10:54 PM

Hillary must be pressured to release her records whether or not she likes it (tax returns, White House records, list of big donors to their foundation). These records play a central role with facts that are very suspicious including:

(1) Hillary self-proclaimed experience as commander in chief and that can only be backed up by the White House records

(2) Facts involving pardons from president Clinton given to convicts in exchange of money... For example, shortly after beeing pardonned by President Clinton, fugitive financier Marc Rich had his ex-wife giving $400 000 to the Clintons library foundation: Source:

(3) Facts involving big donations in exchange of lobbying from the Clintons that seem not ethical. For example, the Clinton foundation received recently a $31.3 million donation after Bill expressed enthusiastic support for the Kazakh leader's, undercuting both American foreign policy and sharp criticism of Kazakhstan's poor human rights: Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/31/us/pol...ref=slogin

(4) Too many facts from the past that do not pass the smell test. See a list made by another blogger:

- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- First president to be held in contempt of court
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court

Let's pressure Hillary to release her records so that the voters can vote with all relevant information.

Posted by: Logan6 | March 17, 2008 10:13 PM

I doubt that his long-time pastor's and spiritual mentor's incendiary and, yes, racist remarks will hurt Senator Obama during the primary season.
I am convinced, however, that the Republicans and Senator McCain's campaign will exploit the controversial tapes (to put it mildly) in order to defeat Obama.
For more on this, read:

Posted by: bn1123 | March 17, 2008 9:46 PM

In the Jeremiah Wright affair, Barack Obama is most certainly lying about something.

He now insists that he is "shocked, shocked" (in the style of Claude Raines in "Casablanca") to hear that anti-Americanism had anything at all to do with Wright's ministry.

He has also claimed to be a "devout Christian" who attends church every week and is deeply involved in the life of Wright's congregation (where he's been a member for twenty years).

What is Barack Obama lying about?

Posted by: jeffboste | March 17, 2008 9:15 PM

A series of polls released today shows that Obama's position has been weakening since Thursday's Wright controversy, both in primary polls (Gallup, Rasmussen) and in general election surveys (Rasmussen, USA Today, ...). Roundup: http://www.campaigndiaries.com/2008/03/monday-polls-obama-weakens-in-some.html

Posted by: campaigndiaries | March 17, 2008 9:11 PM

O'Bomba me boy, pugah ma hon!

Posted by: rat-the | March 17, 2008 9:08 PM