Adoration, Protesters Greet McCain on N.H. Return

By Michael D. Shear
EXETER, N.H. -- Sen. John McCain returned Wednesday to the state that, more than other, gave him the Republican nomination, holding what his campaign billed as his first town hall of the general election.

McCain surged to victory in New Hampshire this year after hunkering down in the state for months, holding 101 town hall meetings and wooing the state's famously independent voters almost one at a time.

At the Exeter Town Hall, he told a crowd of several hundred that he will never forget the state's voters, who believed in his campaign when others thought it was dead.

"I was reminded of the words of Chairman Mao," McCain said, in one of his frequent jokes. "Who said 'it's always darkest before it's totally black.'"

McCain was accompanied back to New Hampshire by his friend and Senate colleague, Sen. Joe Lieberman, who praised the audience. "You didn't listen to the politicians and the pundits who all said John McCain was through. You measured the man."

McCain offered brief remarks, praising his former GOP rivals and touching on global warming, the economy and national security. He was greeted with kind and even some adoring questions from the audience.

He was also greeted by members of the AFL-CIO, who on Wednesday launched a massive $53 million anti-McCain effort that will include door-to-door canvassing, phone calls, on line contacts, and direct mail. The union has already sent out 100,000 flyers about McCain's record and have launched a website.

About 50 protesters held signs as McCain arrived and chanted "Bush-McCain, more of the same."

By Web Politics Editor  |  March 12, 2008; 6:44 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Superdelegates, a Dinner with Clinton
Next: Obama on Race and the Race

Comments

What is it about this particular presidential campaign that brings such strange and distorted ideas out of the political woodwork? Too much pollution in the air or something?

Posted by: luise1 | March 13, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I just have a question and a comment for EricIdiot(oops I mean)AllenBetrayal I mean Bell. First of all you amount to a traitor by backing Obama who is muslim everywhere but in name in order to further your own agenda you are willing to sacrifice your own country. The question I have is what are you going to do when the Democratic party becomes a muslim base or is that hwat it has already become?

Posted by: colecurtis | March 13, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

A new poll from Pennsylvania -- the second in two days -- has McCain leading against both Democrats: http://www.campaigndiaries.com/2008/03/clinton-up-double-digits-in-pa-where.html

Posted by: campaigndiaries | March 13, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

McCain Begins Vice President Search

By Eric Allen Bell

San Antonio, Texas. (March 12) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain said on Wednesday he has begun the process of finding a vice presidential running mate and wants someone who shares his rage and can take his place.

Speaking to reporters on a campaign plane, loaned to him by lobbyists for oil companies and war machines, the expected Republican nominee said he had seen news reports that famed serial killer Charles Manson, had expressed interest in the job, but he offered no comment one way or the other on whether Manson would be a candidate.

"Manson shares my views that human beings can and should be tortured and killed," McCain said of Manson's interest in the No. 2 slot on the Republican ticket in November's election.

Manson told Fixed News Channel's "Hannity and Colmes" on Tuesday that "any Serial Killer in this country would be honored to be asked to serve as the vice presidential nominee for John McCain, myself included." He went on to say that, "The over 1 million innocent people killed since the Iraqi invasion makes George Bush the ultimate serial killer, especially given that half of those murdered were innocent children. I feel that McCain has what it takes to carry on that legacy and even outdo Bush with the upcoming invasion of Iran. This is history in the making." Said Manson, "And I'd like to be a part of it."

Charles Manson endorsed McCain in February after the Arizona senator defeated Gulianni in an often caustic campaign battle. McCain will face either Democratic Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York or Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois in November. Clinton, herself an aspiring serial killer who supported the Iraq invasion, has the blood of a half million innocent dead Iraqi children on her hands and seems to feel no remorse. Said Manson, "She is gifted with the ability to harm others and feel no pain but rather seek the spotlight to increase her base of power. I feel that, given the opportunity, she will kill again".

When asked about Democratic Presidential candidate, Senator Barack Obama, Manson went on to say, "He is not ready to mass murder on day one. He lacks the experience of taking human lives for pleasure or for personal gain. I don't know how anyone can take him seriously."

At a town-hall meeting in San Antonio, Texas, McCain went out of his way to praise Manson as well as more notable and effective mass murderers such as the late Edi Amin, China's Chairman Mao Tse-Tung and of course the great Adolf Hitler.

"My friends, I fought in Viet Nam. I was a trained killer" Said the Arizona Senator, "I don't remember what we were fighting for, but I loved to kill and, given the opportunity to serve this country as Commander and Chief, I can promise you a blood bath in the Middle East. America will never be looked at the same way ever again once I leave office." he said.

Talking to reporters on his campaign bus, the Double Talk Express, the 71-year-old McCain made clear he has not put together a list of candidates yet but has some ideas in mind. He said he could not say whether Charles Manson was "on or off the list." There have been some unconfirmed rumors on the Beltway that McCain was also in talks with other serial killers and military commanders at Guantanamo Bay for the number two slot.

NO DECISION EXPECTED SOON

Offering some details on what type of person he was considering, McCain said he did not believe having a "personal bond" with the running mate was all that critical as long as they shared the same views and philosophy.

He also said he did not think the vice presidential candidate needed to be from a certain region, "So long as he is male, not a homosexual, a devout Christian and white."

No decision was expected anytime soon. Presidential nominees often wait until just before their party's nominating convention in late summer to announce their running mate.

McCain said he and advisers have begun discussing "what was the process that was used in other campaigns, what process should we go through." He added, "I just can't wait to get my finger on the button of this nation's Nuclear arsenal. That's just some straight talk, my friends. Power makes me feel high and I want to destroy things, entire villages, men women and children. I don't care about oil. I keep saying this war is not about oil. This is about showing my father that I am number one and showing the world that America is number one."

He said his prime criteria is someone "who can take your place, shares your principles, your values and your vision and your priorities." He added that "Given the principals of the Neoconservative movement, I believe that Charles Manson would be on anyone's short list."

McCain talked about his vice presidential search as he came to San Antonio, Texas to hold a town-hall meeting at the Church of Pastor John Hagee, where he thanked the Right Wing bigot for endorsing his candidacy. "Pastor Hagee hates human beings and I share his values. If I am elected into office, I will appoint Hagee to head up a task force on how to promote American values here at home."

When asked if the Senator would consider Ann Coulter for the Vice Presidential nominee he remarked, "Now that would be going too far."

www.WeCanStopMcCain.org

Posted by: EricAllenBell | March 13, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Mk1,
If you credit Bush for no attacks since 9/11, then you have to blame he and his administration for allowing 9/11.

Like being a QB, too much blame in a loss, too much credit in a victory.

Posted by: atk494 | March 13, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

John McCain looks like he will be the Fall Guy for the Bush/Chaney/Rumsfeld disaster of the last 8 years. McCain will never be President. Bush campaign innuendos made sure of that in 2000 and Bush legacy will make sure of that in 2008.

Posted by: dmscontractor | March 13, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Actually, unions are better at shielding people that are too afraid of developing marketable skills to earn a living. They would rather have somebody else guarantee their job and their pat rather than use the free market to their advantage.

As far as the same as Bush, other than growing the size of the government, Bush hasn't done that bad of a job. I don't think it is a coincidence that we've had ZERO attacks on US soil since 9/11. Look at Europe, London mainly.

Posted by: mk1_62 | March 12, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Unions do nothing more than suck the money out of the hard working skilled employees, all for their own political power. Makes you sick, doesn't it? Say NO to unions!!

Posted by: cschotta1 | March 12, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse