Building a Mystery

By Garance Franke-Ruta
Not only does Hillary Clinton chief strategist Mark Penn have to deal with the back-biting of his team of rivals, as laid out by Peter Baker and Anne E. Kornblut in today's paper, but local Washington, D.C., blogs are increasingly atwitter about his Georgetown home renovation efforts -- construction noted by The Post last September, during an earlier phase of the work.

Today, DC Metrocentric, a blog focused on "New Buildings, Construction, Destruction, Planning, Real Estate, and Gossip as it happens in the Nation's Capital," posts a picture of more recent building efforts and notes that "recently the work on an underground garage and addition has become a major annoyance the neighbors... and the're [sic] starting to complain!" Wonkette weighs in, too, as did the Washington Examiner yesterday. "With workers on the site most daytime hours, the labor is hard to miss. The residence itself is harder to spot behind bales of hay and a portable toilet out front."

This follows an earlier round of blog chatter sparked by a NY Post report in late February.

By Web Politics Editor  |  March 6, 2008; 6:30 PM ET
Categories:  The Debate Rages On...
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fine Gourmet at the White House
Next: Clinton Woos Voters in Obama Territory

Comments

Incredibly great story! Truly lives up to the standards the Washington Post sets for itself.

Posted by: retroag70 | March 8, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting

Posted by: qzpmal | March 7, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I know the DC punditocracy will leave no stone unturned to find negative things to say about Hillary, but this story is just PATHETIC.

Sounds like someone needs a long vacation. Why not start today?

Posted by: dclb | March 7, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The folks at the clinton campaign know how to spend:

Posted by: maq1 | March 7, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

The Clintons have trashed the future of the party. Its no stroke of naivete to understand that bi-partisanship breeds consensus breeds policy. All great presidents including both FDR and Reagan understood that. The Clinton's dont, and thats why they've failed at promoting their agenda. Because at the end of the day, their agenda revolves around their persons, and that is simply not an agenda the rest of the country will elevate. I will be surprised if Hillary gets the nomination from the dems. A nomination for Hillary is like handing this thing to the Republicans with a big bow on it. I certainly wont be voting Democrat in the fall if Clinton is our candidate.

Posted by: maq1 | March 7, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I mean
This county is united that 'this' story is pointless lame crap.

Posted by: mul | March 7, 2008 3:44 AM | Report abuse

This county is united that is story is pointless lame crap.

WP lets step it up.

I did like Mark Penn story. I feel bad for him - he is like the person writing this post.

Posted by: mul | March 7, 2008 3:43 AM | Report abuse

nightline@abcnews.com, 2020@abc.com, earlyshow@cbs.com, 48hours@cbsnews.com, ftn@cbsnews.com, Colmes@foxnews.com, nightly@msnbc.com, dateline@nbc.com, hardball@msnbc.com, msnbcreports@msnbc.com, newshour@pbs.org, netaudr@abc.com, evening@cbsnews.com, comments@foxnews.com, today@nbc.com, readers.rep@latimes.com, nytnews@nytimes.com, editor@usatoday.com, ombudsman@washpost.com, letters@newsweek.com, info@ap.org, tips@upi.com

Posted by: friendlyfire | March 7, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

What the? What a stupid and meaningless 'story'. Who cares?

Posted by: redhiker | March 6, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, way to go Ohio. My homestate, thank you, my vote to Hillary, my family's vote to Hillary, and the majority of my friends' vote to Hillary, thank you.

And yeah, I'm a 21 year old college student filling out graduate school applications so there goes your demographic crap.

At any rate, yeah this story is awful. How many people comment on CNN? If anything, at least the Post is better than that garbage.

Posted by: trisha2 | March 6, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Zuckermand's comments are usually paranoid and delusional, but I think he's right here -- even by a blog's lowly standards, this is a extraordinarily silly story. Slow news day, huh?

Posted by: RyanMcC1 | March 6, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to imagine Hillary actually accomplishing something.

She failed the world by supporting a war based on lies.
She failed to bring us healthcare.
She failed herself with Bill.
Now, she'll do anything to get to her goal.
I think a lot less of Hillary today than I did a year ago.

A oh way to go Ohio

Posted by: dionc9 | March 6, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to imagine Hillary actually accomplishing something.

She failed the world by supporting a war based on lies.
She failed to bring us healthcare.
She failed herself with Bill.
Now, she'll do anything to get to her goal.
I think a lot less of Hillary today than I did a year ago.

A oh way to go Ohio

Posted by: dionc9 | March 6, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to imagine a story that reflects badly on Sen Clinton's campaign that would be so irrelevant and inconsequential the Washington Post would not dedicate a news article to it.

I got nothing.