Networks Call Ohio for Clinton

A volunteer makes phone calls in front of a mirror with the writing "I am your girl" at the Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) campaign headquarters Tuesday in Austin. (Getty Images)

By Perry Bacon Jr.
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Hillary Clinton started off the day sidestepping questions about whether she would stay in the race if she didn't do well in Ohio and Texas in a bunch of predawn satellite interviews.

By early evening, in another series of interviews, she was casting herself as the comeback girl.

"I feel really good about Ohio and Texas," she said during an interview this evening. "I've been counted out before. It seems to be a recurring phenomenon."

There were hugs and shouts of Hillary! all over this downtown ballroom as CNN called the state for Clinton. Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, who campaigned across the state with Clinton even though her follow African Americans had turned sharply towards Obama, credited Clinton's victory to frenetic campaigning and a sharper focus on Barack Obama's alleged faults by the press for the win.

"We got people to focus more on him," Jones said.

By Web Politics Editor  |  March 4, 2008; 11:06 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama , Hillary Rodham Clinton , Primaries , The Democrats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Huckabee Takes a Bow
Next: McCain: 'The Contest Begins Tonight'

Comments

I hate to say "I told you so" because it wasn't really that hard to predict Ohio, given the polls I saw at least. Sorry to disappoint all you Obamaniacs -- there's no hope that she drops out now -- I am wondering if he would accept the VP spot? Either he is going to have to realize that Michigan and Florida delegates will be seated, or a group of super delegates will have to approach Obama re: that topic, for there to be any hope of beating McCain this fall.

Posted by: JakeD | March 5, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Hillary fought hard, using every tactic in the book to secure her Ohio victory. Yet, Texas, where she was so strong, is turning into her battle ground:

Texas Primary- Hillary vs. Barack:

Posted by: davidmwe | March 5, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

no, actually, I also think Mr. Bacon is the racist. not the biggest racist, but mildly racist. not the end of the world. just saying ...

Posted by: princeps2 | March 5, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

So Zukermand,

I guess you can't point out that someone's African-American without being called a racist.

Uh, I don't think so.

I think you're the racist.

Posted by: dvillarreal1981 | March 4, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

"Stephanie Tubbs Jones, who campaigned across the state with Clinton even though her follow African Americans had turned sharply towards Obama"

I'm pretty sure Mr Bacon is racist.

Posted by: zukermand | March 4, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

When did Clinton turn into a Republican?

I think it was after she lost 11 straight contests, she decided her only hope was to turn into Karl Rove newest pet political project.

Posted by: andrewbellinger | March 4, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse