The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

The Green Zone

Obama Nets $40 Million in March

Updated 11:01 a.m.
By Matthew Mosk
Sen. Barack Obama has raised nearly $130 million so far this year and $240 million over the duration of his presidential campaign, according to the latest numbers released by his campaign.

The staggering figures are the result of a furious pace of fundraising that continued last month -- he cleared the $40 million mark in March, according to a release issued by the campaign this morning.

"Senator Obama has always said that this campaign would rise or fall on the willingness of the American people to become partners in an effort to change our politics and start a new chapter in our history," campaign manager David Plouffe said in a statement e-mailed to reporters. "Today we're seeing the American people's extraordinary desire to change Washington, as tens of thousands of new contributors joined the more than a million Americans who have already taken ownership of this campaign for change."

Clinton campaign fundraisiers said this morning she raised more than $20 million in March.

"I take my hat off to them," said Hassan Namazee, one of Clinton's fundraising chairmen.

Namazee said the Clinton campaign is very happy with the numbers they are posting. "We will have the resources necessary to compete in the states in the months of April, May and June," he said. "This is not a campaign that will run out of cash."

Obama's haul came from more than 442,000 contributors -- roughly half of whom contributed to the campaign for the first time, the campaign said. The average contribution was $96.

Posted at 10:46 AM ET on Apr 3, 2008  | Category:  The Green Zone
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Clinton Unveils New 3 a.m. Ad | Next: Elizabeth Edwards to Give Harvard Speech

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

240 million donated to a candidate who has no experience, no brains, and is a cult member of the Church of Christ in Chicago, where a former minister used the name of the LORD in vain. What type of person is guilty of that?Hussein obama.Why are people giving such massive ammounts of money to this bum? What do you expect to recieve in return?

Posted by: elmerck | April 4, 2008 9:55 AM

If the economy is so bad, why would people be idiotic enought to donate 20 million dollars to a lying politician?

Posted by: elmerck | April 4, 2008 9:51 AM

Why is no one checking the sources of these contributions by names of individuals or organizations?

Posted by: h_aida_angeles | April 4, 2008 9:24 AM

HRC is starting to remind me of Huckabee.

Posted by: mikey999 | April 4, 2008 8:17 AM

Transfers from Committees: $0.00
Total receipts: $197 million
Total expenses: $159 million

Beginning balance: $0.00
Latest cash on hand: $39 million

Posted by: Dave27 | April 3, 2008 8:46 PM

boothe: "My big hope is that in the mean time McCain doesn't screw things up as badly as Bush has............ He couldn't could he? I mean thats kind of impossible isn't it? God I hope so."

Bush came into office in 2001 with a strong economy, a budget surplus, and a national debt that was gradually being paid down for the first time in, when? Ever?

Thanks to seven years of Bush's fiscal insanity, McCain will be coming into office with a $9 TRILLION national debt, huge budget deficits and a likely recession facing him, and yet he wants to make the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy permanent. (The very same tax cuts he OPPOSED when Bush first proposed them.) When he said he doesn't know much about economics, he was sure telling it like it is.

And that's only the economy. Imagine how much fun a war with Iran is going to be! :-D

Posted by: whatmeregister | April 3, 2008 6:54 PM

realityexists: "I came up with a little over $100 to donate to Obama.

"So count me one of those 218,000 first time donors. First time donor ever to a political campaign. First time showing up to a caucus. First time volunteering to help the state party. First time banking phone calls. If I could get the time off work, I'd be in PA right now."

realityexists,

Thanks for that. Your story is one of many, including my own. I've been a Dem my whole life. (I'm 47 now.) I did a little volunteer work for Kerry in '04 and worked on a few local Dem campaigns over the years, but until this year I never gave more than $100 total to any candidate in any race. Thanks to Sen. Obama's candidacy, for the first time in my life I've been motivated to scrape together regular monthly contributions and send them via the Internet. (Plus adding here and there when I've seen a particularly stupid Clinton campaign remark or read a really ignorant post here--in fact, Obama's coffers are $100 richer than they otherwise would thanks to svreader's posts alone. LOL)

Because of this unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to stand up and make a real difference in this country, I've traveled on my own time and my own dime to volunteer in the primaries in South Carolina, Delaware and Maryland, and last week I drove up to Pennsylvania to help canvass neighborhoods in York. I'll be driving back up this weekend, and I'll keep your comments in mind and put in an extra couple of hours on your behalf. You'll be represented there, I promise.

Posted by: whatmeregister | April 3, 2008 6:43 PM

Well, boothe, thanks for the explanation. But I kinda see Hillary sticking it out all the way to the Convention -- for the good of the country, of course -- BECAUSE she agrees with your assessment that he cannot win. At least, that's what I hope happens. Even if she dropped out today, she will still be blamed for Obama losing to McCain. I honestly don't see that (and four more years of aging) making her an attractive candidate in 2012.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 4:31 PM

JakeD- Even if Hillary wins the nomination you know as well as I do that the Obama people are going to pout, not vote, and whine and cry about (insert your favorite problem with america: 'racist', 'ignorant', 'geriatric')america. Obama was just too good, in both the moral and intellectual sense for America, and thats why he didn't win the primary/general.

Hillary's best chance is in 2012. Obama will be out since he will have lost in 2008. Democrats will be looking for a candidate who is more moderate and therefore more electable than either Obama, or Kerry. Hmmm let me think, who might we use as a role model here? Ah thats right the last Democratic nominee to actually win: President Bill Clinton. So who better to take up that mantle.

Posted by: boothe | April 3, 2008 4:26 PM

Obama will beat John McCain because he is the better candidate for President on every level.
I am 60. I have been campaigning for Obama for a year. I CAN'T WAIT for a debate between McCain and Obama. Every time McCain opens his mouth, he lets us know how little he really knows about 1) the economy (I'd have to be educated on that) 2)The Econimy (I never really knew much about economics) 3) Iraq - doesn't understnad the region. Can recite History, but someone had to EXPLAIN to him the difference between Sunni and Shiia PLUS he had no idae the new violence there was Shiite against Shiite. 4) His temper is reknowned and several Generals have come out and said they woud be VERY concerned if he were President. They don't want someone with his temper even CLOSE to "the red button."
I could go on and on. As these days pass, he makes a new gaffe every day. PLUS, you think Jeremiah Wright is an issue? What about Ron Parsley or John Hagge, crazy extreme preachers who support McCain.
And then there is his age which, like it or not, IS an issue.
I had my own concerns about McCain being the Repub nominee when I thought he was the same McCain that ran in 2000. I would have voted for that McCain against Hillary, but not nowthat he has become McBush. I will vote for either Democrat and so will most who have said they would NEVER vote for (Hillary or Obama - whoever your candidate ISN'T) - when it comes down to the wire, we will UNITE! NO MORE McBUSH!

Posted by: sheridan1 | April 3, 2008 4:06 PM

I second (or third) realityexists and shrink2. I'm tired of Obama supports being characterized into one of two groups. You're either one or the other while the other candidates are said to be supported by a "broader base". Well obviously Hillary's base isn't broad enough.

Posted by: venus31 | April 3, 2008 3:52 PM

What?! You make that great case against Obama and then tell HILLARY to drop out?

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 3:23 PM

Obama's huge money lead has netted him what, about .3% more of the popular vote in the democratic primary.

Personally I will vote for the Dems nominee no matter what, but Obama won't be able to win the general election. Why?

1, He can't win Florida, his numbers there are god awfull and getting worse. Obama will likely win the battle to keep florida's delegates out in the cold, but will cripple him in Florida in the fall.

2, His numbers are falling in Ohio, the Democratic candidate should do well here given the economy, but the state is blue collar and grey, which is bad for Obama.

3, Too many of his delegates come from small caucus states which overinflate his popularity, much like McGovern in 1968. Also he pulled a huge number of independents that won't be voting for him in the fall. I.e. don't think Obama is going to win alot of western states because he won them in the primary.

4, The key swing vote in this election many more to come in the future is the hispanic community. Obama has lost that vote in every single primary, and many will vote culturally conservative for McCain in November.

5, The demographics in the south are still such that the high African american turn out Obama can count on will likely not take back any of those red states. The state with the highest percentage of african americans is SC. Bush beat John Kerry by a grand total of 300,000 votes in 2004. Now suppose that all of the people who voted for Obama in SC are new voters and that he wins all of the votes that Kerry got. His 270,000 votes from the primary still aren't enough to swing things his way.

Just my opinion I know but I just don't see Obama winning against McCain. So Hilary drop out and run again in 2012.

Posted by: boothe | April 3, 2008 3:10 PM

Oh no realityexists, you could only exist in one of two categories:

you are a latte sipping dreadlocked trustfunder who found your contribution under the cushions of your newest stepmother's couch or

you are an enraged black racist who wants to settle scores with whitey.

They don't understand how ordinary Obama supporters are. Plain old average Americans who think and who care.

Posted by: shrink2 | April 3, 2008 2:32 PM

I'm hoarding my cash to pay bills. Over the winter, with my heating bills skyrocketing, I've been living pay check to pay check.

But... last month I took a long hard look at my priorities, turned the thermostat down 5 degrees, stopped going to the coffeeshop & started brewing coffee at home. All because I wanted to put my money where my mouth was. I came up with a little over $100 to donate to Obama.

But no worries, Republicans -- I don't count -- I'm Generation X -- naive enough to drink the kool-aide and believe that the most eloquent, organized, financially-solvent candidate might have what it takes to figure out how to run a country.

But surely, surely...too unmotivated & unreliable to make a difference in the general election. ;-)

Posted by: realityexists | April 3, 2008 2:12 PM

[QUOTE]
Hassan Namazee, one of Clinton's fundraising chairmen ... said. "This is not a campaign that will run out of cash."
[/QUOTE]

Especially if the campaign doesn't pay it's debts. See http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2008/M3/C00431569.html#SUMMARY which says the Clinton campaign began March with $8.7 million in unpaid debts, not including the un-repaid $5 million personal loan from Clinton.

Peace.

Posted by: egc52556 | April 3, 2008 1:38 PM

By raising a zillion dollars in small donations over the Internet, Barack Obama is transforming American politics, breaking the stranglehold of the fat cats and special interests on campaign finance. That's the great underreported, history-making story of this election, sitting right there under the reporters' noses, and they're too fixated on the horse race and negative attack aspects of the campaign to see it. Go Obama!

Posted by: bradk1 | April 3, 2008 1:17 PM

BobBob-Actually, Mitt Romney is trying to do just that. It got every "Special Interest" that had stakes riding on their Invested Candidates Flipping and Flopping Out!

THEY, had invested too much to allow someone who nobody owned win!

Then, to really rub them the wrong way, Mitt was going to give his salary(Just like his Governor's pay), to Charities! ;-)

Posted by: rat-the | April 3, 2008 1:15 PM

Imagine a President who is elected because his campaign was supported millions of individuals from all 50 states rather than a few hundred wealthy power brokers and corporate PACs. That President, beholden to no special interests, can make decisions without worrying about the financial impact to their campaigns.

Scary thought isn't it? ;-)

Posted by: thebobbob | April 3, 2008 1:04 PM

You dopes, buying an election happens when a few very rich special interests pour so much money into a campaign, the will of the people is subverted.

Obama will win because by far and away more donors have contributed an average of
$96. than to any candidate in history.

His large contributors must be very few because that average, $96, is pretty small.

Hundreds of thousands of new small donors every month, even after Rezko/Wright, the number of new donors goes up and up and up. Go figure. That is called being popular. It is how democracy is supposed to work.

Posted by: shrink2 | April 3, 2008 12:53 PM

JFK was not above buying the Presidency.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 12:41 PM

remeber when democrats were against "buying" the presidency?
me too.

Posted by: newagent99 | April 3, 2008 12:30 PM

Newsweek Reports:

"In a new ad, Obama says, "I don't take money from oil companies."

Technically, that's true, since a law thaNewsweek reports:
t has been on the books for more than a century prohibits corporations from giving money directly to any federal candidate. But that doesn't distinguish Obama from his rivals in the race.

We find the statement misleading, because:

Obama has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses.

Two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and are listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the presidential hopeful."

Posted by: thejaner | April 3, 2008 12:18 PM

Please Folks, TRY to understand something.

If I am inclined to Charity, I contribute to the Salvation Army, or The American Red Cross. Both are very good and decent Charities that benefit all in need-irregardless of RACE!

Barack Hussein Contributed over $60,000 to a "Black" Church, an African Based "CARE", and his wife's Black Dance group.

Sorry, but NO Racist like that is welcome to become the President of MY Country, without ALL the Opposition I can throw! :-(

Posted by: rat-the | April 3, 2008 12:13 PM

Barack Obama for President of the UNITED States of America.

Posted by: PulSamsara | April 3, 2008 12:05 PM

rat-the

unless by some stroke of genius that hasnt been tapped by Hillary we as a nation will be voting for Barack or McCain in the general election. and from a totally objective stand im fairly sure that it will be a close match up so u might be regretting ur final words. "President of kenya-Maybe! The United States of America?"
-Nader 08

Posted by: MATTHEWCAMPBELL_21 | April 3, 2008 12:03 PM

rat-the you're a wee bit incoherent. Just sayin'

Posted by: old_europe | April 3, 2008 11:59 AM

That's a formidable war chest. I wonder whether the money Clinton raised in March is already earmarked for the general election, too. She seems to be in trouble, financially because of that. Maybe this is why her campaign gets ever more destructive, too.

Posted by: old_europe | April 3, 2008 11:55 AM

We all are aware almost all Teachers are very Pro-Socialism. World Labor Party policies for Ivory Tower Dwellers who exist off subsidized Funds, are downright attractive!
Now, plant idealistic images into minds of people living in subsidized artificial Worlds(School CHILDREN in College), and without having had to deal with the REAL World yet, they are apt to rally around the Head Parrot Squawking "Dream-Fantasies"!

ME? I judge by Actions, NOT Proclamations.

A Presidential Candidate for this Country, who donated over $60,000 exclusively to Black Based charity?! While being an Active and Contributing Member of a Retrgressive "Black Based" Church?!

President of kenya-Maybe! The United States of America?

LMFAO! :-D

Posted by: rat-the | April 3, 2008 11:46 AM

Hopefully, that's more than a million Americans who will never vote for Hillary DIANE Clinton ; )

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 11:02 AM

Better organization, broader base, more enthusiastic supporters: That's Obama...

Posted by: parkerfl | April 3, 2008 10:52 AM