The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Ad Watch

Obama Responds to Clinton Spot with Own Ad

By Howard Kurtz
The Ad: Narrator: Who has what it takes to really bring change? To finally take on the special interests -- not take their money. Who made the right judgment about opposing the war and had the courage and character to speak honestly about it. And who in times of challenge will unite us -- not use fear and calculation to divide us.

Obama: We are one people. All of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes. All of us defending the United States of America.

Analysis: Barack Obama's response to this Hillary Clinton spot -- released within hours of the Clinton ad-- tries to refocus the debate on judgment by reminding viewers that, unlike Clinton, Obama opposed the Iraq war from the start. But it took less "courage" than Obama claims because in 2002, he was a state senator from a liberal district who did not have to vote on the issue.

The "special interests" language reprises Obama's charge that, for example, he doesn't take money from oil companies or lobbyists. That is technically true. But Obama's campaign has accepted more than $160,000 from oil-industry executives and employees, and two oil company chiefs have acted as Obama fundraisers.

This 11th-hour ad is clearly aimed mainly at balancing the news coverage of Clinton's commercial.

Posted at 6:19 PM ET on Apr 21, 2008  | Category:  Ad Watch
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: North Carolina Democratic Debate a No Go | Next: Clinton's Final Pennsylvania Push

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Hillary Clinton uses the politics of fear as John Howard did in Australia during the election campaign. Look where Howard is in now. Hillary will suffer the same fate. Kevin Rudd is now the new Prime Minister with his vision of change and so will Obama be the next US President with his same positive vision for America.

Posted by: mapdren | April 22, 2008 5:27 PM

I'm sick of people saying that Obama's opposition to the war is irrelevant due to his position in the state senate. He had Congressional aspirations and knew that the war would blow up in the administrations faces. Had he been wrong and the war went well, his chances at a House or Senate seat would have been sunk. How can anyone deny that?

Posted by: Unspinning Kurtz | April 22, 2008 1:13 PM

A vote for Hillary is a vote for the Republicans. She is playing the Republican playbook. When someone pays money to prosecute and demean you - why would you accept their support? Hillary would say and do anything to win the nomination at the expense of the DEMS. Hillary is a lier and a divider.

Posted by: ob08 | April 22, 2008 12:41 PM

WHERE THE FRACK IS BILLARY's FLAG PIN???

Posted by: Mary in AZ | April 22, 2008 12:14 PM

There is a big difference in taking money from individual employees (including executives) and taking money from the oil companies and their PACS. How many of you who work for multi million dollar companies actually agree wholeheartedly with the all decisions of your company? Just because you answer the phones at an Exxon office doesn't mean your money is tainted politically. In fact, if you don't like what your company does (but you would rather not be unemployed in today's economy) donating your money to a candidate who will regulate the company you work for may be the best option for you.

Posted by: Dr Ed Intelligence | April 22, 2008 11:45 AM

Senator Obama spoke out against the war, before it started.

Senator Clinton supported the war.

The administration was bullying everyone, calling anyone who opposed them unpatriotic. The media largely became a big propaganda machine, questioning little the president purported to be fact.

Either Senator Obama's judgement was much better than Senator Clinton's, or Senator Clinton agreed with Senator Obama, but was afraid to oppose the President. Perhaps she feared being seen as "weak" or would torpedo her chances to be President.

Whatever her motivation, the fact is she backed the president. Senator Obama did not.

What Senator Obama would have done if he were a Senator at the time is pure speculation. What is clear, however, is that Senator Clinton and almost all of the rest of Congress let us down.

Jeff

Posted by: Jeff | April 22, 2008 11:31 AM

It alwasy seems to get down to people attacking each other. Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have made mistakes- clearly misspoken and even lied. Yes even Saint Obama has lied.

But the reality the Democrats face is not who has lied to us more but which Democrat can win the election in the fall. If Hillary again wins big in PA and gets the voters that Obama would need to win in November, there will be a real question if Obama can beat McCain.

If Obama comes close or even wins PA than he deserves the chance to see as the Democratic nominee.

This isn't about national polls or who can get more votes in CA or NY. It is about who can win in about six or seven states that will be up for grabs. OH, PA, FL. MI. MS and then who can potentially win a red state. If Hillary wins big in PA and by that I meant 8-10% even after Obama outspent her 3 to 1, then I think we can clearly see that she can win PA, OH and even FLorida. The issue then for Democrats is what states can we see Obama winning beyond anything that Kerry won in 2004.

That is the only question Democratic Super Delegates should answer.

Posted by: peter DC | April 22, 2008 11:00 AM

""But Obama's campaign has accepted more than $160,000 from oil-industry executives and employees, and two oil company chiefs have acted as Obama fundraisers.
Obama'campaign has accepted more than $160,000 from oil-industry executives and employees, and two oil company chiefs have acted as Obama fundraisers. "

Same stupid false correlation as usual. How much money did he get from employees and executives of the airlines? Does that mean he's beholden to the airline industry? How about the waste management industry - is he now beholden to Tony Soprano and friends? And he undoubtedly has gotten money from used car salesmen - it's scary to contemplate how THAT could affect his commitments to auto safety and fuel mileage standards if elected!

That's what's so specious about this "argument". Getting money from individuals isn't a big deal, especially if you go out of your way to tally it up by industry and then claim a correlation between the amount received and the potential influence associated with same. It's meaningless even if you do the same for every donor and come up with all of the industry tallies. It's about time the pundits stop wasting everyone's time by trying to claim an effect that isn't there. All this does is prove Samuel Clemens correct (there are liars, damn liars and statisticians).

Posted by: jk5432 | April 22, 2008 10:35 AM

BYEOBAMA:

How sad to see the list of lies you tell. How sad for you to be unable to distinguish fact from fiction. How sad to see your anger and hatred distort your judgment. How sad. Oh, and a final word just for you -- LIAR!

Posted by: Lisa | April 22, 2008 10:33 AM

So, Howard Kurtz continues the line that this was "safe" for Obama in 2002 given that he was a state senator at the time. We are then to believe that he had no other ambitions at the national level, including Senator from Illinois. While Illinois has been blue, it is none more so than New York, where Hillary made the calculation that this was the popular political vote.

Posted by: RollaMO | April 22, 2008 9:57 AM

The right wing attack machine will talk to the 30% who are sad that Bush can't run again. For 70%, it will just provide fodder for late night tv comedy.

'Swiftboaters' is a damaged brand.

Posted by: TWstroud | April 22, 2008 9:44 AM

I see the Hilli-cons are out in force on this one. Sucks to be on the losing team doesn't it, no matter what you say and how you say it, IT DOES NOT MATTER! Obama will be your President and we "obama cutltist" as you like to call us will finally have someone in the office with more than half a brain and who has Integrity and class and can be way more trusted than the other to War Voters!! No wonder others around the world look at this country like were bunch of idiots, who you choose as a president reflects the people, so obiously we look real bad selecting Bush to two terms,how could that happen o that's because of those folks who cling to their guns and religion and who are easily persuaded by Hillary's latest fear mongering commercial, by the way that commercial should be the bottom line when it comes to Hillary, that was way out of bounds. So no more Bush no more Clinton we need someone not just for America but for the World.

Posted by: GA. | April 22, 2008 8:51 AM

Jacksmith,

If you really believe the stuff you keep spewing in these blogs...

You ARE an idiot!

But - I believe you are a Repugnican.

Posted by: wwwqueen | April 22, 2008 8:43 AM

war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war, war

. N E O C O N S

. F O R

. M C C L I N T O N !

Posted by: NEOCONS FOR HILLARY | April 22, 2008 8:24 AM

HILLARY CLINTON AND JOE BIDEN OR JOHN EDWARDS
SHE DOES NOT NEED A LIAR LIKE OBAMA ON HER TEAM:

50 Lies and Counting: Posted on Political forum.com - Elections and Campaigns by Latisha

1.) Selma Got Me Born - LIAR, your parents felt safe enough to have you in 1961 - Selma had no effect on your birth, as Selma was in 1965.

2.) Father Was A Goat Herder - LIAR, he was a privileged, well educated youth, who went on to work with the Kenyan Government.

3.) Father Was A Proud Freedom Fighter - LIAR, he was part of one of the most corrupt and violent governments Kenya has ever had

4.) My Family Has Strong Ties To African Freedom - LIAR, your cousin Raila Odinga has created mass violence in attempting to overturn a legitimate election in 2007, in Kenya. It is the first widespread violence in decades.

5.) My Grandmother Has Always Been A Christian - LIAR, she does her daily Salat prayers at 5am according to her own interviews. Not to mention, Christianity wouldn't allow her to have been one of 14 wives to 1 man.

6.) My Name is African Swahili - LIAR, your name is Arabic and 'Baraka' (from which Barack came) means 'blessed' in that language. Hussein is also Arabic and so is Obama.

7.) I Never Practiced Islam - LIAR, you practiced it daily at school, where you were registered as a Muslim and kept that faith for 31 years,until your wife made you change, so you could run for office.

8.) My School In Indonesia Was Christian - LIAR, you were registered as Muslim there and got in trouble in Koranic Studies for making faces (check your own book).

9.) I Was Fluent In Indonesian - LIAR, not one teacher says you could speak the language.

10.) Because I Lived In Indonesia, I Have More Foreign Experience - LIAR, you were there from the ages of 6 to 10, and couldn't even speak the language. What did you learn, how to study the Koran and watch cartoons.

11.) I Am Stronger On Foreign Affairs - LIAR, except for Africa (surprise) and the Middle East (bigger surprise), you have never been anywhere else on the planet and thus have NO experience with our closest allies.

12.) I Blame My Early Drug Use On Ethnic Confusion - LIAR, you were quite content in high school to be Barry Obama, no mention of Kenya and no mention of struggle to identify - your classmates said you were just fine.

13.)An Ebony Article Moved Me To Run For Office - LIAR, Ebony has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.

14.) A Life Magazine Article Changed My Outlook On Life - LIAR, Life has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.

15.) I Won't Run On A National Ticket In '08 - LIAR, here you are, despite saying, live on TV, that you would not have enough experience by then, and you are all about having experience first.

16.) Present Votes Are Common In Illinois - LIAR, they are common for YOU, but not many others have 130 NO VOTES.

17.) Oops, I Misvoted - LIAR, only when caught by church groups and democrats, did you beg to change your misvote.

18.) I Was A Professor Of Law - LIAR, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.

19.) I Was A Constitutional Lawyer - LIAR, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.

20.) Without Me, There Would Be No Ethics Bill - LIAR, you didn't write it,introduce it, change it, or create it.

21.) The Ethics Bill Was Hard To Pass - LIAR, it took just 14 days from start to finish.

22.) I Wrote A Tough Nuclear Bill - LIAR, your bill was rejected by your own party for its pandering and lack of all regulation - mainly because of your Nuclear Donor, Exelon, from which David Axelrod came.

23.) I Have Released My State Records - LIAR, as of March, 2008, state bills you sponsored or voted for have yet to be released, exposing all the special interests pork hidden within.

24.) I Took On The Asbestos Altgeld Gardens Mess - LIAR, you were part of a large group of people who remedied Altgeld Gardens. You failed to mention anyone else but yourself, in your books.

25.) My Economics Bill Will Help America - LIAR, your 111 economic policies were just combined into a proposal which lost 99-0, and even YOU voted against your own bill.

26.) I Have Been A Bold Leader In Illinois - LIAR, even your own supporters claim to have not seen BOLD action on your part.

27.) I Passed 26 Of My Own Bills In One Year - LIAR, they were not YOUR bills, but rather handed to you, after their creation by a fellow Senator, to assist you in a future bid for higher office.

28.) No One Contacted Canada About NAFTA - LIAR, the Candian Government issued the names and a memo of the conversation your campaign had with them.

29.) I Am Tough On Terrorism - LIAR, you missed the Iran Resolution vote on terrorism and your good friend Ali Abunimah supports the destruction of Israel.

30.) I Am Not Acting As President Yet - LIAR, after the NAFTA Memo, a dead terrorist in the FARC, in Colombia, was found with a letter stating how you and he were working together on getting FARC recognized officially.

31.) I Didn't Run Ads In Florida - LIAR, you allowed national ads to run 8-12 times per day for two weeks - and you still lost.

32.) I Won Michigan - LIAR, no you didn't.

33.) I won Nevada - LIAR, no you did not.

34.) I Want All Votes To Count - LIAR, you said let the delegates decide.

35.) I Want Americans To Decide - LIAR, you prefer caucuses that limit the vote, confuse the voters, force a public vote, and only operate during small windows of time.

36.) I passed 900 Bills in the State Senate - LIAR, you passed 26, most of which you didn't write yourself.

37.) My Campaign Was Extorted By A Friend - LIAR, that friend is threatening to sue if you do not stop saying this. Obama has stopped saying this.

38.) I Believe In Fairness, Not Tactics - LIAR, you used tactics to eliminate Alice Palmer from running against you.

39.) I Don't Take PAC Money - LIAR, you take loads of it.

40.) I don't Have Lobbysists - LIAR, you have over 47 lobbyists, and counting.

41.) My Campaign Had Nothing To Do With The 1984 Ad - LIAR, your own campaign worker made the ad on his Apple in one afternoon.

42.) My Campaign Never Took Over MySpace - LIAR, Tom, who started MySpace issued a warning about this advertising to MySpace clients.

43.) I Inspire People With My Words - LIAR, you inspire people with other people's words.

44.) I Have Passed Bills In The U.S. Senate - LIAR, you have passed A BILL in the U.S. Senate - for Africa, which shows YOUR priorities.

45.) I Have Always Been Against Iraq - LIAR, you weren't in office to vote against it AND you have voted to fund it every single time, unlike Kucinich, who seems to be out gutting you Obama. You also seem to be stepping back from your departure date - AGAIN.

46.) I Have Always Supported Universal Health Care - LIAR, your plan leaves us all to pay the 15,000,000 who don't have to buy it.

47.) I Only Found Out About My Investment Conflicts Via Mail - LIAR, both companies you site as having sent you letters about this conflict have no record of any such letter ever being created or sent.

48.) I Am As Patriotic As Anyone - LIAR, you won't wear a flag pin and you don't put your hand over your heart during the Anthem.

49.) My Wife Didn't Mean What She Said About Pride In Country - LIAR, your wife's words follow lock-step in the vain of Wright and Farrahkan, in relation to their contempt and hatred of America.

50.) Wal-Mart Is A Company I Wouldn't Support - LIAR, your wife has received nearly a quarter of a million dollars through Treehouse, which is connected to Wal-Mart.

Posted by: BYEOBAMA | April 22, 2008 3:13 AM

Barack Hussein is NOT the person this Country Needs, as our President.

By his own admission, and he is PROUD of it for some un-Godly Reason :-(,

HE, would like to STILL have Saddam Hussein in Power, France, Germany and Russia getting away with Cheating the Oil for Food Program, Millions, if not Billions of Iraqi Dollars going to World Labor Party Anti-American Protests, Hundreds more worthless un-enforced UN Resolutions, Hundreds more Treaty Violations by Saddam, Hundreds of Thousands of Iraqis Starved, Neglected, or Killed by the Saddam Thugs comprising His Elite Forces AND WORSE!

Allah, Any Ostrich like him should at least be nice enough to Hide its Head in Shame, because I cannot stand to look at it! :-(

So he did not Support the Noble Gesture!?

That somehow makes him someone I should want in control? To do what? Ignore horrible circumstances?

Even a Lowly but Gifted RAT like Moi, can at least offer practical advice!

BUT, since Barack Hussein's loser Obamabots search for anything resembling a Clue to have their Zombie Promise-

Know my advice gets fed to Romney and McCain! ;~)

Funny part, I think THEY actually consider some of it! LOL! Truth, even I would have to Consider advice from a Person who goes by "RAT"! ;~)

But, what can I say?

Jesus and Buddha were already taken! :-(

Posted by: RAT-The | April 22, 2008 1:38 AM

Time to rule America. It's funny watching how many American idiots are voting for Barack Hussein Obama. By the time, he replaces Bush. Iraq will be owned by Iran. Iran will succeed that many Americans failed to do in Iraq. Barack Hussein Obama will support Iran and Iraq's needs. Another 8 years, America will still experience recession then depression. America would be at it's weakest. A good speaker with less experience has nothing to offer to the American people. Finally, Farakhans successor will come true. Please vote for Barack Hussein Obama 2008.

New Change and Wishful Hope.

Posted by: Hussein | April 22, 2008 1:22 AM

response to Hopefull2008 list of Obama 800+
here's the comparisons how Obama campaigns spreads out his work. Those 800+ bills are not all passed to law. He hasn't done much while US Senate.

In his own IL state, he supports Live Born Abortions. Support Obama who doesn't even know when life begins during his Faith/Politics Debate.

Posted by: Obama Lies | April 22, 2008 1:09 AM

I thought I was at the website of a respected national news source, but then I read further and wondered who were these animals who got a hold of computers... and then I woke up.

And McCain was president. So I went back to bed and hid under the covers.

Posted by: disgustedbyitall | April 21, 2008 11:46 PM

Please, Pennsylvania, help the rest of the nation out of the misery of Hillary's negative line of fire. She is all about heat and the kitchen sink. If Obama had jeered at her when she cried in New Hampshire for not being able to stand the heat in the kitchen, he wd have been accused of being sexist. He has been cool and classy, staying away from fear mongering and race and gender card gaming.
Questions we musxt ask of Mrs. Clinton:
1. Senator Clinton, you have been sleeping and keeping house with a known adulterer who also lied with his hand on the Bible. Why have you not denounced and rejected him? Does this mean that you approve of, even are yourself an adulterer? Why have you no respect for and do not believe in the Bible?
2. You kept your chief strategist, Mark Penn, on your payroll, although he had been working to pass free trade agreements with Columbia, also you continue to remain married to Bill, who also received $900,000 for such support, and millions more from China, Saudi Arabia, etc, known breakers of human rights and for China now with aggression against the Tibetan people. Are you therefore really for free trade and approve of China's and other nations' bad human rights record? Are you in fact a free trader and dictator at heart? Why have you not denounced and rejected Mark Penn and Bill Clinton?
3. Your daughter works for a hedgefund company on Wall Steet. Are you therefore a candidate for a hedgefund front and will take Wall Street over Main Street and over blue-collar workers? Why have you not denounced and rejected your daughter, Chelsea?
I am a senior citizen feminist who will never vote for Mrs. Clinton. Hillary believes she is entitled to her husband's ex-job, but most Americans dislike and distrust her, and on good evidence. We've watched Hillary lie with a smile on St Patrick's Day about coming under sniper fire in Bosnia. Watched her smile as she knee-caps Obama with distortions on words taken out of context. Watched her smile as she lies to blue collar workers about NAFTA and about her working class identity, she of the multimillions from shady off-shore corporations and with a Yale law-school degree put to the service of union-busting Wal-Mart. Senator Obama shows restraint and class in steering away from negative attacks on her, and whoa! is there a pile of *hit on record with the Clinton dynasty. Pardons in exchange for payback from criminals, Saudi millions for the Clinton Foundation, hundreds of thousands for support of the Colombian free trade treaty, etc, etc. Hillary cries for the camera to get the sister votes, chugs down whiskey chased with beer for the machismo barflies, and keeps intimate company with an impeached president caught lying with his hand on the Bible about not having sex with that woman. What does her sleeping with a proven adulterer and lying-under-oath President say about the company she keeps? The more we watch Hillary, the more we distrust her. The more we know Obama, the more he becomes our candidate to change dynastic business as usual in Washington. We citizens of the American Republic denounce and reject the Clinton dynasty. We want our democracy back.

Posted by: shirlin | April 21, 2008 11:44 PM

How's this for a response ad.

Posted by: Mr. Unite Us | April 21, 2008 11:33 PM

Any body that came out against the Iraq war
was told you hate America, you hate Bush,
by you talk radio gurus.

Obama was right about Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. He was right about the pending subprime loan crisis, and submitted his Stop Fraud Act back in 2006, He was right about the credit card crisis and submitted his Credit Card Bill Rights. Since then Congress has adopted much of his proposals.

Obama is fighting a multiple front war against 2 Clintons, 2 Televisions networks, and the right wing chicken hawks and neocons. Still he is doing pretty good.

Did I mention racism? No but Governor Ed Rendell did?

Posted by: Mr. Unite Us | April 21, 2008 11:31 PM

Clinton and Obama were at a disadvantage when Republicans held the Senate. Same is not true of McCain. Obama has outperformed both in quality and quantity of legistlation during congruent times in the Senate. All major companies and law firms especially bundle their executive donations to campaigns for clout. This is true of all the candidates, not one does not take bundled money. An executives advancement prospects will seem to be hurt if they express a contrary political view whether it is true or not. Bundling I believe should be illegal as it seems like forced contributing.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:23 PM

Ok, I am not a big fan of the oil companies, but since when did the simple fact of working for an oil company disqualify you from privately making campaign contributions, or working for an oil company make you an untouchable? They are American citizens are they not?

Posted by: LM | April 21, 2008 11:00 PM

How is it that as a First Lady for 8 years and a US Senator for as many that Hillary didnt mention, let alone attempt to resolve all these problems that she claims to be so adept at solving now. With all her exaggerated experience, she hasn't done a damn thing except talk. We wouldn't be in this mess if she was as attentive to the concerns of the nation as she professes. Talk is cheap and a lack of action is even worse.
Oops, I forgot, she was ducking gunfire in Bosnia----that's the ticket.

Posted by: Jean | April 21, 2008 10:59 PM

Hey no name....

AJ:

Obama was running for U.S. Senate in 2002?! He actually did not announce his campaign for U.S. Senate until 2003. The next year, while still an Illinois state legislator, Obama delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention -- that's where he defended Kerry and admitted he didn't know whether he would have voted against the Iraq war -- he wasn't elected to the U.S. Senate until November 2004.

I know facts are stubborn things ...

Posted by: | April 21, 2008 6:59 PM
******************************************

Obama was considering running for the US Senate in mid-2002. His Oct. 2002 speech was his first opposition to Iraq War Resolution in Congress at the time. In Jan. 2003 Obama formally announced his candidancy for the US Senate. He re-iterate has staunch opposition of the Iraq War at an anti-war rally the same day GW Bush gave Saddam 48-hrs to get out of Iraq on March 16, 2003.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 10:11 PM

Obama 2002 speech

Good afternoon. Let me begin by saying that although this has been billed as an anti-war rally, I stand before you as someone who is not opposed to war in all circumstances.

The Civil War was one of the bloodiest in history, and yet it was only through the crucible of the sword, the sacrifice of multitudes, that we could begin to perfect this union, and drive the scourge of slavery from our soil. I don't oppose all wars.

My grandfather signed up for a war the day after Pearl Harbor was bombed, fought in Patton's army. He saw the dead and dying across the fields of Europe; he heard the stories of fellow troops who first entered Auschwitz and Treblinka. He fought in the name of a larger freedom, part of that arsenal of democracy that triumphed over evil, and he did not fight in vain.

I don't oppose all wars.

After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this Administration's pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

I don't oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism. What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other arm-chair, weekend warriors in this Administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income - to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression.

That's what I'm opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics.

Now let me be clear - I suffer no illusions about Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal man. A ruthless man. A man who butchers his own people to secure his own power. He has repeatedly defied UN resolutions, thwarted UN inspection teams, developed chemical and biological weapons, and coveted nuclear capacity.

He's a bad guy. The world, and the Iraqi people, would be better off without him.

But I also know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States, or to his neighbors, that the Iraqi economy is in shambles, that the Iraqi military a fraction of its former strength, and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history.

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of al-Qaeda.

I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars.

So for those of us who seek a more just and secure world for our children, let us send a clear message to the president today. You want a fight, President Bush? Let's finish the fight with Bin Laden and al-Qaeda, through effective, coordinated intelligence, and a shutting down of the financial networks that support terrorism, and a homeland security program that involves more than color-coded warnings.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let's fight to make sure that the UN inspectors can do their work, and that we vigorously enforce a non-proliferation treaty, and that former enemies and current allies like Russia safeguard and ultimately eliminate their stores of nuclear material, and that nations like Pakistan and India never use the terrible weapons already in their possession, and that the arms merchants in our own country stop feeding the countless wars that rage across the globe.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let's fight to make sure our so-called allies in the Middle East, the Saudis and the Egyptians, stop oppressing their own people, and suppressing dissent, and tolerating corruption and inequality, and mismanaging their economies so that their youth grow up without education, without prospects, without hope, the ready recruits of terrorist cells.

You want a fight, President Bush? Let's fight to wean ourselves off Middle East oil, through an energy policy that doesn't simply serve the interests of Exxon and Mobil.

Those are the battles that we need to fight. Those are the battles that we willingly join. The battles against ignorance and intolerance. Corruption and greed. Poverty and despair.

The consequences of war are dire, the sacrifices immeasurable. We may have occasion in our lifetime to once again rise up in defense of our freedom, and pay the wages of war. But we ought not - we will not - travel down that hellish path blindly. Nor should we allow those who would march off and pay the ultimate sacrifice, who would prove the full measure of devotion with their blood, to make such an awful sacrifice in vain.

Posted by: Ana Lucia | April 21, 2008 9:59 PM

Go to www.FACTCHECK.org if someone tries to fool you with OBAMA's legislative experiences. His record has been fabricated in the Internet and tries to compare an orange with an apple.

The truth is Hillary did a better job than OBAMA.

Go to www.FACTCHECK.org to find it out yourself. The radicals have been making up all lies to support OBAMA & his lies

Posted by: John_Lai | April 21, 2008 9:58 PM

MY FELLOW "BITTER", STUPID, WORKING CLASS PEOPLE :-)

If you think like Barack Obama, that WORKING CLASS PEOPLE are just a bunch of "BITTER"!, STUPID, PEASANTS, Cash COWS!, and CANNON FODDER. :-(

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary's than they had ever been before or since.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. :-)

Best regards

jacksmith... Working Class :-)

p.s. You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you don't know that the huge amounts of money funding the Obama campaign to try and defeat Hillary Clinton is coming in from the insurance, and medical industry, that has been ripping you off, and killing you and your children. And denying you, and your loved ones the life saving medical care you needed. All just so they can make more huge immoral profits for them-selves off of your suffering...

You see, back in 1993 Hillary Clinton had the audacity, and nerve to try and get quality, affordable universal health care for everyone to prevent the suffering and needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of you each year. :-)

Approx. 100,000 of you die each year from medical accidents from a rush to profit by the insurance, and medical industry. Another 120,000 of you die each year from treatable illness that people in other developed countries don't die from. And I could go on, and on...

Posted by: jacksmith | April 21, 2008 9:52 PM

war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war

NEOCONS FOR CLINTON !

war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war war

Posted by: NEOCONS FOR HILLARY | April 21, 2008 9:44 PM

C'mon now, you know that Hillary has used fear and manipulation just before a big vote. She does use underhanded tactics and she is shameless in her attacks. The spin never ends in the Clinton camp and apparently it doesn't end in the media either. I started out with great admiration for Hillary but I have had to rethink how I feel about her and the way she has managed this campaign. I can only imagine that she would attempt to run the country the same way. I understand that man women want to see a woman president, I too would like to see that, just not Hillary Clinton. Your article is sad and lacks substance like so many articles these days.

Posted by: Jan S | April 21, 2008 9:35 PM

Woooooohhhhh!

Pleaese watch this video and see for yourself what the chairman of Hillary Clinton campaign(Governor Rendell) is saying and Praising Farrakhan and N.O.I.

This Clinton coalision is not what we as truth American want:

Posted by: The Truth | April 21, 2008 9:12 PM

Hillarites need to explain their campaign connections to Farrakhan. Why has Hillary allowed her chief PA surrogate to remain onboard? He is a strong supporter of Farrakhan. He is on video telling Farrakhan how great he is. Why hasn't Hillary renounced and denounced him? Why the double standard--AGAIN?

Just like NAFTA and the Colombia trade deals, Hillary will say one thing while her staff is doing another. And then she acts so surprised that it happened. The deceit is endless.

Posted by: infuse | April 21, 2008 9:09 PM

Howard is right in saying Obama's 2002 anti-war speech was not a profile in courage.

Had Obama not voted to fund the war in lock step with Hillary and everyone else the day he arrived in the U.S. Senate, THAT would have displayed some courage. But he didn't.

The anti-war candidate you can believe in is Dennis Kucinich. Obama is just another politician.

Posted by: Tahoe Editor | April 21, 2008 8:50 PM

Howard,

You say:

I say: The commercial never names her. It is a measured response to the Clinton ad, and shows more restraint than is the norm in politics.

Posted by: Pagun | April 21, 2008 8:43 PM

I am a former oil company employee and I contributed to Democratic candidates at my peril -- my employer basically told me to support Republicans. To impugn these employees, instead of giving them medals, is obscene!!!! Get out there and do some real reporting Howard -- stop just playing the MSM game of reporting charge and counter charge!

Posted by: omyobama | April 21, 2008 8:32 PM

Let's cover this issue of experience: Senator Clinton took office as a U.S. Senator in January of 2001. Senator Obama took office as a U.S. Senator in January 2005.

The Big Question: Does 4 more years as a U.S. Senator than Obama and 8 years as a First Lady constitute the fortitude and preparation Hillary purports in her commercials? I debate that.

Posted by: OkD | April 21, 2008 8:32 PM

Posted by: omyobama | April 21, 2008 8:32 PM

I used to be one of those "oil company employees" and I am a liberal Democrat that NEVER voted or supported the political positions of my employer. I'd like to know why in the world this continues to be brought up as somehow impugning Sen. Obama's bona fides???? My employer basically told me to vote Republican to support company interests; I told 'em to go sh*t in a hat and supported my candidate AT MY PERIL. Those oil company employees should be given medals, not criticized for supporting a candidate that clearly goes against their personal economic interests. I am so fed up with the cheap and lazy journalistic tactics of the MSM -- you couldn't find a buried lead up your b*tt with 2 hands and a flashlight. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: omyobama | April 21, 2008 8:31 PM

Both candidates are slugging this out in the last stretch. Meaningless. Undecided voters need facts, not the tit-for-tat.
Here is what I know.

Barrack's 800+ bills from 8 years in the Illinois senate are far more extensive than Hillary's entire elected record. Barrack is the ONLY candidate to pass Healthcare reform.

His first year in the U.S. Senate, he authored 152 bills and co-sponsored another 427. These included:
**the Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006 (became law),
**The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act, (became law),
**The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, passed the Senate,
**The 2007 Government Ethics Bill, (became law),
**The Protection Against Excessive Executive Compensation Bill, (In committee), and many more.

Here is Hillary's entire record from six years in the US Senate from the Library-of-Congress website http://thomas.loc.gov
1. Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site.
2. Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month.
3. Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Honor.
4. Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall.
5. Name courthouse after James L. Watson.
6. Name post office after Jonn A. O'Shea.
7. Designate Aug. 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
8. Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
9. Honor the life and legacy of Alexander Hamilton on the bicentennial of his death.
10. Congratulate the Syracuse Univ. Orange Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
11. Congratulate the Le Moyne College Dolphins Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
12. Establish the 225th Anniversary of the American Revolution Commemorative Program.
13. Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda.
14. Honor Shirley Chisholm for her service to the nation and express condolences on her death.
15. Honor John J. Downing, Brian Fahey, and Harry Ford, firefighters who lost their lives on duty.
16. Extend period of unemployment assistance to victims of 9/11.
17. Pay for city projects in response to 9/11
18. Assist landmine victims in other countries.
19. Assist family caregivers in accessing affordable respite care.
20. Designate part of the National Forest System in Puerto Rico as protected in the wilderness preservation system.

Barrack gets more done than Hillary BECAUSE he never gives up a chance to work with his opponents to move the ball in the general direction of our democratic goals. You see it in the way he has setup Healthcare, talking with enemies, his Iraq stance, NAFTA, on and on. Hilary's "shoot-for-the-moon" solutions kill pretty good ones without every getting implemented themselves. And then she cannot reach compromise because she has burned her bridges.

The change Obama has in mind revolves around ending partisan deadlock. But even then, he's not talking about "some pie-in-the-sky, let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya" transformation of Washington, he says. If the Democrats fail to win a filibuster-proof majority of 60 senators, Obama hopes to peel off Republicans on issues like health care and education. This has always been Obama's approach: he is a consensus politician, not a radical.

Posted by: hopeful08 | April 21, 2008 8:31 PM

Here is what I know.

**the Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006 (became law),
**The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, passed the Senate,
**The 2007 Government Ethics Bill, (became law),

1. Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site.
2. Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month.
3. Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Honor.
4. Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall.
5. Name courthouse after James L. Watson.
6. Name post office after Jonn A. O'Shea.
7. Designate Aug. 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
8. Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
13. Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda.
16. Extend period of unemployment assistance to victims of 9/11.
17. Pay for city projects in response to 9/11
18. Assist landmine victims in other countries.
19. Assist family caregivers in accessing affordable respite care.

Posted by: hopeful08 | April 21, 2008 8:31 PM

Posted by: OkD | April 21, 2008 8:31 PM

Obama is the Snake Oil Saleman

Posted by: Mike | April 21, 2008 8:21 PM

I saw an interview with several of the "Oil Company" employees who donate to Obama. They are the average joe workers employed with a corporation. One works out in the field rigs. To compare these to oil industry high level donations is just crazy. When you make a donation, even a $25 online donation to Obama, you have to state who your employer is and check a box indicating that you are not making that donation for the company you work for. They are really overreaching to begin to make this claim against the Obama campaign.

Posted by: Mary Lee | April 21, 2008 7:49 PM

$160,000 of donations from citizens who happen to work for oil companies is less than 1 tenth of one percent of obama's total raised so far.

Posted by: Peter Nevins | April 21, 2008 7:45 PM

"By implicitly suggesting that Clinton is using "fear and calculation to divide us" -- a charge he often makes against President Bush -- Obama is accusing his opponent of underhanded tactics. That may be viewed as an overreaction to a commercial that never names him."

Actually he never names her in this commercial either, so the statement above is completely out of whack!

Posted by: Mary Lee | April 21, 2008 7:44 PM

Its funny how your reporter mentioned this but didnt mentioned that according to CNN Clinton took in over 300,000 dollars from the oil-industry.

Posted by: Najee Ali | April 21, 2008 7:43 PM

Its funny how your reporter mentioned this but didnt mentioned that according to CNN Clinton took in over 30,000 dollars from the oil-industry.

Posted by: Najee ALI | April 21, 2008 7:41 PM

The race has devolved into one endless tit-for-tat - especially on the eve of PA. By the way; Obama takes money from special interests - every politician does.

Posted by: mpp | April 21, 2008 7:07 PM

Obama only defends himself when he is attacked. Don't start none and there won't be none.

OBAMA 08

Posted by: Cora | April 21, 2008 7:06 PM

AJ:

I know facts are stubborn things ...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 6:59 PM

Howard Kurtz...just the facts, please. Obama opposed the Iraq War in 2002!

All this crap about "less courage" is lost in in your blog. Obama was running for U.S. Senate at the time he verbally opposed the going to war.

It took a lot more "courage" for Obama to speak against the Iraq War before it started, when many people (majority of American public and US Senators) were for it, than for Hillary to simply vote for the Iraq War but never apologize for her vote.

Obama stated he would not take money from PACs and federally-registered lobbyists money during his presidential campaign and has not!

Howard Kurtz...I know facts are stubborn things, but please no Clintonian spins needed here.

Posted by: AJ | April 21, 2008 6:48 PM

At my last count, there were actually 6 people at he Obama rally where he annouced his opposition to the war, including his wife, and Rezko. :)

Posted by: DCDave | April 21, 2008 6:41 PM

Exactly, it took a lot less "courage" than Obama claims because, in 2002, he was a state senator from a liberal district who did not have to vote on the issue. In 2004, of course, Obama famously defended Kerry's vote for the war in Iraq and admitted "I don't know" as to how he would have voted if he had been in the U.S. Senate.

GO HILLARY CLINTON!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 6:35 PM

When Obama goes up against the Right Wing nut attack machine, there will be no delay in answering charges. Let them distort and spew division and hatred. Let them accuse more than half of the voters in the country of hating America. Let them scream and yell until they're blue in the face. I can't wait until their narrow minded brains explode when Obama is sworn in as the President of the United States.

Posted by: thebob.bob | April 21, 2008 6:30 PM