Dan Taylor Lands a Big One

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) speaks at a rally at the Adams Center at the University of Montana in Missoula, Mont., Saturday, April 5, 2008. (AP)

By Alec MacGillis
MISSOULA, Mont. -- It is easy for jaded political professionals (reporters, hangers-on, and the rest) to lose perspective after months on the trail, to become inured to the dazzle and drama of one of the most competitive and attention-grabbing campaigns of the modern era.

Flying into a place like this -- approaching unnervingly low over the stunning humps of the Montana Rockies -- serves as somewhat of a corrective. Prior to Barack Obama's arrival here last night, Montana was one of only three states that Obama has not yet been to -- Alaska and South Dakota are the other two -- and so for this college town nestled against the mountains in an old glacial lakebed, it was all new. More than 8,000 people lined up outside the University of Montana basketball arena this morning to see Obama speak; the 500 or so who couldn't get in waited to see him pay a brief visit after the speech in the adjacent football stadium, which commands a riveting view of Mount Sentinel looming just overhead and the big "M" adorning the broad slope.

Among those who had to wait in the football stadium was Dan Taylor, a 46-year-old cook at a local sports bar who had been inspired to make a sign for the rally. He broke down a cardboard box and drew on it, in bold colors, "TROUT FOR OBAMA," accompanied by a colorful illustration of a rainbow trout, which he drew with the help of a book, because he "wanted to get it authentic-looking."

Why trout? "I wanted it to look happy, nothing offensive," said Taylor, a native of Great Falls with a lean, wind-reddened face and gray stubble, clad in work boots, jeans and a Missoula Osprey baseball cap. Arriving at the arena, he learned that no signs were allowed inside, but no matter, since he wasn't able to get inside anyway. So he just walked back and forth with the sign outside, and then took a place in the football stadium to wait for Obama to make his appearance there.

And then, luck struck. An Obama staffer saw the sign in the stands, told Taylor, "Hey, that's pretty," and offered to try to get it signed by the candidate, even though his staff generally tries not to bog him down with pen duty. After Obama walked the length of the stands shaking hands, the staffer got the cardboard signed and passed it back up to Taylor. Five minutes later, the cook was still in shock, looking down at his fish with a dark, clearly legible "Barack Obama" cursive next to it.

"I'm going to frame this sucker. You will never see this on eBay," he said. "I'm overwhelmed. My friends aren't going to believe this."

By Web Politics Editor  |  April 5, 2008; 3:43 PM ET
Categories:  Barack Obama
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Colombian Government Cancels Penn's Contract
Next: A Tragic Tale - But is it True?

Comments

johndunsmore's comments certainly didn't do much to raise the level of intelligent discussion.

Posted by: conservativeman | April 9, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

One side of svreader's mouth says he only wants the Democrats to win, and that he doesn't think Obama can beat McCain; the other side says he'd vote for McCain against Obama. One side of his mouth says that we're falling prey to the same phoniness that led to the Iraq war; the other side says that it's really not such a big deal that Hillary supported the war while Obama opposed it.

At the risk of being gratuitously personal, svreader, you should be doing better things with your life than continually spamming the Post with junk comments. Most of us posters would welcome an honest discussion of the candidates, but you seem incapable of being intellectually honest.

I know you'll say I'm just trying to stifle debate if you read this, but I'm not. I'm just pleading with you to please be intelligent and remotely honest. It would make the comments section much more interesting, informative, and pleasurable for the rest of us.

Posted by: davestickler | April 7, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

dina, svreader, and so many of the rest of you who froth at length on these sites: As dina points out, we are talking about electing a president.

So our intemperate and, in the case of svreader, extremely inappropriate spews are out of place.

If you spent any time talking about policy positions, that would be appropriate. If you were able somehow to say something about Obama's temperament without smearing him, that would also be acceptable.

It is true that many Obama supporters stray from this standard in their discussion of Senator Clinton -- but you don't seem to be focused on that.

The things that you say, and the way that you say them, reflect very poorly on yourselves. Unlike the candidates themselves, you cannot, even in a public sphere, seem to acknowledge that they are all three exceptional people, who deserve some simple respect -- even if you would not deign to vote for them.

And -- as I think I've mentioned before -- I think the moderators should reject posts with your deplorable tone.

Posted by: thaimex | April 6, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Hillary's new campaign slogan:

She was against the war before she voted for it.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 6, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The problem for the Clintons is that most remaining uncommited superdelegates are elected officials from states won by Obama and that are not on the payroll of the Clintons since 15 years. The rest of the uncommited superdelegates (the Carter, Pelosi, Gore, ...) just don't like their dirty and divisive campaign. But I feel sorry for Hillary; someone with black skin, a funny name and who is part of no dynasty (a no one) is a close to the job that she deserves, and now these remaining uncommited superdelegates are still not backing her despite that she really deserves that job. After all, she went in Bosnia to dodge bullets from snippers to save children that were waiting at the airport with flowers. People are just too ungrateful. I bet that these children don't even remember that Hillary saved their lives. So ungrateful...

Posted by: Logan6 | April 5, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

meg54136, I'm waiting for the Cheney response from Hillary about her Iraq war vote: "So?"

Posted by: meldupree | April 5, 2008 11:17 PM

That's exactly what she's really saying, "so" to speak.

I'd vote for Hillary over McCain, but I cannot possibly support her over Obama on this issue alone. Thankfully I won't have to make that choice.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: meldupree | April 5, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

From CBS News' Fernando Suarez:

EUGENE, ORE. -- During a campaign stop in Oregon, Hillary Clinton fielded testier questions from the audience, more so than she has in quite a while. It was a typical campaign rally where Clinton delivered her now typical Scampaign speech, but twice during her remarks Clinton was heckled by a gentleman who wanted to know why Clinton voted for No Child Left Behind and the war in Iraq.

Obama has been credited with foreseeing a troublesome war in Iraq primarily due to a speech he gave in 2002 while he was a state senator, where he spoke out against the war. Clinton said, "I started criticizing the war in Iraq before he did." !!!

See what I mean? Theres she goes again. Refusing to take responsibility for her vote for the Bush/Cheney War, and then lying....again.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

John McCain opposed legislation for a MLK holiday; Barry Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act. Hillary was a Goldwater Girl (her own confession). Perhaps a McCain/Clinton ticket is in order?

AverageJane, you're making my side hurt with the giggles!!

Posted by: meldupree | April 5, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey svreader and thinker, I see you got your undies twisted and bunched up again. Just think, President Obama, for America!

LOL Dr svreader PhD is currently hiding under mommy's bed. To avoid the incoming sniper fire I'm sure.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Hillary Clinton vetted? Not according to the Bosnia episode and Mark Penn's meeting with the Columbian ambassador on a trade deal Clinton opposes. Looks like she got another "NAFTA" problem. I'm hearing the Ohioans have buyers' remorse and feel quite duped by the Clintons. Union folks in Ohio are contacting union folks in the Keystone State to get everybody off the Clinton punch. Let's see how well the Clintons convince the superdelegates about their electability.

Gotta love this election cycle!

Your pal, meld

Posted by: meldupree | April 5, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Of all the "misstatements" offered by Hillary Clinton, the one that disqualifies her to me is her vote for the Bush/Cheney War, and ultimately, her refusal to disavow it and admit her colossal error in judgment at one of the critical moments in our history.

Obama 08

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

A new movie was released on 4/1/2008 called Race For The White House, starring Hillary Clinton. Watch as she claws her way through 50 states looking for a decision. The Bosnian Sun Times gives it 5 stars saying it was "A gripping tale of heroism under fire"

Posted by: AverageJane | April 5, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Here's some of the things to look forward to under President Obama:

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

SueB2 thanks for the jewels, priceless! I'll have to add it to the joke.

Posted by: AverageJane | April 5, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

"The job of a newspaper is to find out the truth and provide it to their readers so that they can make informed issues."

Hey, svreader! They told us the truth about Hillary in Bosnia, after CBS News ran its video. What more could you ask?

Posted by: thrh | April 5, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Average Jane-I have a theory that when Hillary found out about Monica, Bill did indeed promise her the White House in exchange for Hillary allowing him to keep the family jewels.

Posted by: SueB2 | April 5, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The Clintons were overheard having a huge fight last night at the airport in North Dakota. The airport workers heard Hillary shout "You promised me if I stayed you'd give me the White House!" Bill shouted even louder, "Give me a break, I said 'a' white house!"

Posted by: AverageJane | April 5, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

"Too bad they don't spend more time on stories of substance."

Hey! They covered Hillary ducking sniper fire in Bosnia! If that's not substantive, what is?

Posted by: thrh | April 5, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey svreader:

Exactly how much national governmental experience did Bill Clinton have on the day of his inauguration to the presidency?

When the truth of Hillary Clinton's church affiliation comes out (as it already has, and will become much more widely publicized in May), she will be exposed for the once-Republican opportunist that she has been for 40 years.

And since you bring up foreign experience: let's not forget her bravery in Tuzla. It took guts to kiss a strange kid's cheek.

Posted by: mclamorr | April 5, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

svreader, why don't you take a break from all your bellyaching about the press and accept the blame for Hillary's failures where it belongs - right square with the Clinton campaign. After all, she was the darling of the Democratic Party; she started the political season with every advantage -- a massive lead in the polls, all the power and prestige of the Clinton name and organization, and a press corps that seemed willing to waltz with her all the way to her coronation. You and all the other Clinton supporters were just fine with the media coverage until Hillary started losing. Now you're sounding like the ghost of Richard Nixon.

Posted by: lhummer | April 5, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

You sold me. Coelacanths for McCain!

Posted by: SueB2 | April 5, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

meg54136

I don't know-do coelacanths have bad tempers and penchants to go to war?

Posted by: SueB2 | April 5, 2008 09:24 PM

Not sure about that, but they are ancient and hard to understand.

This is from the website:

The Curse of the Coelacanth:

Caution: The Coelacanth is a mind warp and can become an obsession! Many have been reduced to tears, others turned to thievery, and some have perished.

So it definitely has republican traits.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

meg54136

I don't know-do coelacanths have bad tempers and penchants to go to war?

Posted by: SueB2 | April 5, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Coelacanths for McCain!!!

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Trout for Obama!!! Clinton will flounder and McCain's a fluke!!!

Posted by: SueB2 | April 5, 2008 09:14 PM

LOL isn't McCain more like the dreaded coelacanth?

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

THINKER,
OBAMA GOT MORE THAN 14 MILLION VOTE IN THE PRIMARIES. MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE PRIMARY SO FAR. YOU ARE JUST JEALOUS OF OBAMA. KEEP TRYING! WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT HE IS GOING TO BE YOUR PRESIDENT.

Posted by: chatwithsillyboy | April 5, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

meg54136:

That's pretty funny. I was just trying to take the high road as opposed to the well, you know what I mean.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Trout for Obama!!! Clinton will flounder and McCain's a fluke!!!

Posted by: SueB2 | April 5, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

greguevera: Thanks my friend and duly noted. I am aware of svreader's penchant for hysteria and hyperbole.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 08:57 PM

LOL not to mention Dr svreader PhD's penchant for lies, smears, and flinging feces.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh really? I happen to be a 52 year old former paper mill worker from Wisconsin. Lots of people like me from all over my state voted overwhelmingly for Obama. I think theres lots of people like that in Montana - see Dan Taylor. He doesn't appear to be a brainwashed college student to me.

One question thinker: Do you ever post anything that isn't complete garbage?

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

SVREADER IS BRILLIANT

OBAMABOTS ARE 18 YEARS OLDS IN DUMBED DOWN COLLEGES - SITTING DUCKS FOR BO TO COME FLATTER. THEY THINK THEY ARE VOTING ON AMERICAN IDOL

AND OBAMA LOVES THAT ABOUT THEM

GO SV !!!

IGNORANCE IS BLISS AND THE OBAMABOTS ARE TOTAL "FOLLOWERS" AND "BELIEVERS"

BE KINDA PATHETIC

Posted by: Thinker | April 5, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

The "Trout for Obama" poster can be seen in the rally reaction video posted by Missoulian.com, as well as Dan Taylor's rather incredulous reaction to the whole event:

We're thrilled to have both the Dem candidates here in Montana--and the Obama rally was absolutely electric.

Posted by: lcpaige | April 5, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

HE THINKS WE'RE IDIOTS

Posted by: Thinker | April 5, 2008 08:51 PM

LOL Thinker...that's funny. In your case, he'd be absolutely right.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the multiple posts.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS PERFECT

OBAMA SIGNS FISH STORIES

HE HAS AN EXCUSE FOR EVEYTHING

NEVER HEARD ABOUT THOSE SPEECHES IN TWENTY YEARS.

HE THINKS WE'RE IDIOTS

CAN'T BLAME HIM WHEN HE LOOKS OUT AND SEE THESE OBAMABOTS

Posted by: Thinker | April 5, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Jovitman, don't waste your time and energy sparring with svreader. He spends about 18 hours a day posting mindless anti-Obama drivel, which by now has probably made him look a lot like this guy:

I'm generally not one to make personal attacks, but if anyone deserves one, it's him.

Posted by: gregguevara | April 5, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Heres a video link to the Trout Man Dan, complete with trout.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Heres a video link to the Trout Man Dan, complete with trout.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Heres a video link to the Trout Man Dan, complete with trout.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of signs seen in Oregon proclaiming: Salmon Nation for Obama!

After the Republicans have screwed up the management of The West, Montana, Idaho, Colorado. The New West is a Blue West. Watch it happen!

Posted by: thebobbob | April 5, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Nice crowd. Over 8000 people attended the Missoula rally, including the Mayor of Missoula John Engen, who endorsed Obama. Obama can win Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada. The West is definitely in play.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Heres a great picture of the Missoula rally. Over 8000 people attended, including the Mayor of Missoula John Engen, who endorsed Obama. Obama can win Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada. The West is definitely in play.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Heres a great picture of the Missoula rally. Over 8000 people, including the Mayor of Missoula John Engen, who endorsed Obama. Obama can win Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada. The West is definitely in play.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Now, show me Obasama putting a Autograph on a Poster proclaiming "RAT-The for Obsama", and I'll be amazed.

Then my Lawyer will be in contact for defamation of Character! ;~)

Posted by: rat-the | April 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

svreader: I read your 6:31pm post and I remain unpersuaded by it as my comments apparently haven't persuaded you either.

Unlike yourself, who either agreed with Senator Clinton's 2002 Iraq War Resolution vote or are content with her mendacious explanations as to why she voted the way she did, I can't forgive her. This war that has cost 4,000 young American men and women their lives, left thousands grievioulsy wounded physically and emotionally and has cost the lives of tens of thousands of Iraqis is the greatest foreign policy disaster in my lifetime. This is infinitely worse than Vietnam and Senator Clinton and other feckless Dems in the House and Senate went along because it was the politically expedient thing to do. Real profiles in courage.

No politician is perfect, including Senator Obama. Politicians, by their very natures are pathological, couched in their public rhetoric of virtue and duty to public service lies unbounded ambition and gigantic egos and all 3 Senators running for President each have these qualities to varying degrees.

Our founding fathers understood quite clearly the imperfectibility of man's nature and the nature of politics. If it makes you happy, I'll stipulate to the fact that Senator Obama is a very ambitious politician with unbounded ambition. But I ask you, who can you think of who aspired to the Presidency didn't similarly have these attributes.

Pardon me while I crack open another cold one.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

LOL Dr. svreader PhD

Copy paste. Lie smear. Fling feces. Whine. Repeat ad infinitum.

Hey Doc, I see UC-Berkeley even hires war criminals on their faculty. Maybe you can get a job there since its your supposed alma mater.

Posted by: meg54136 | April 5, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

jvoitman --

Please read my post from 6:31pm.

Once the truth about Obama is widely known, and it will be, he won't be elected to anything.

If Obama's the candidate, McCain will the the next president.

Again, please read my post from 6:31pm.

From your reply, its clear you don't bother to read people's responses to your posts.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

svreader - you apparently lack the skills of logic.
How do you figure Clinton would do better against McCain when obama has the most states, votes and delegates. He is beating her.
Clinton is losing to Obama. That would mean she would have a much lesser chance of beating McCain.
think.

As for the story, I think it was wonderful.
This guy must have spent some time making that sign and copying the trout out of a book. To have it noticed by a staffer and Sen. Obama signing it, it must have mean so much to that man.

Posted by: vwcat | April 5, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Sen. Clinton is always claiming that she is thoroughly vetted, so no surprises. I do wish her campaign staff would be more diligent in "vetting" her anecdotes. There she was again the other day, recounting this sad story an uninsured pregnant woman who lost her baby and died herself after being denied care by an Ohio hospital because she could not come up with a $100 fee.
Not quite true. The woman and baby did die, but not due to lack of insurance or hospital care.

For goodness sakes. There are enough REAL stories about people who have gone through hell because of lack of insurance. It shouldn't be hard to find one. All we ask, Hillary, is, a little less carelessness with the truth.

Posted by: joy2 | April 5, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

svreader: Your comments about universal health care make me laugh. We have been promised universal health care for the last 50 years, including by former President Clinton and still no universal health care. I'm not holding my breath on that regardless of who the next Prsident is.

We'll see what happens. I have yet to see any candidate win the Presidential election when their party is overseeing an economy that is in recession and is getting worse by the day, is bogged down in a quagmeire like we are in Iraq and where 81% of the American public thinks we are heading in the wrong direction.

Wait until Senator McCain gets vetted by the press and the American public sees that he is truly clueless about the economy and wants to run it like Calvin Coolidge and believes he is the 2nd coming of TR and wants America to be fighting wars around the globe. My goodness, he didn't even have the common sense and decency to vote for a national holiday commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King. And trust me, his advanced age and questionable health will increasingly become an issue.

Also, the fate of the U.S. Supreme Court will be a huge issue in the general election. When thoughtful independents and Republicans realize that Senator McCain wants to appoint Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito clones to the U.S. Supreme Court, they'll be voting for whomever the Dem candidate is in the general election.

Seantor Brack Obama will be our next President and I will proudly cast my vote for him.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

jovitman --

Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way.

If Obama gets the nomination, Democrats will lose.

McCain will eat Obama for Breakfast.

There won't even be any bones to spit out.

Gloat now.

You'll cry later.

And America can kiss universal health care goodbye.

That's the saddest part of all.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

svreader: We'll just agree to disagree.

Lee Hamilton, considered the dean of the Dem party on foreign policy issues is supporting Senator Obama. Senators Kennedy, Leahy, Feingold and former Senators Bob Graham, (former Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee) and former Senator Lincoln Chaffee, (R) are all supporting Senator Obama. What do they all have in common? They all voted against the 2002 Iraq War Resolution vote that Senator Clinton supported and voted for.

Former President Dwight Eisenhower's grand-daughter, Susan Eisenhower is supporting Senator Brack Obama and why you ask? Like Lee Hamiliton, she believes Senator Obama has the best chance, based on his intellect, temperment and judgment to forge a bi-partisan consensus on foreign and military policy and improve America's battered image around the globe.

Experience is so overrated. How much experience did Abraham Lincon have when he was elected President? Answer:About the same as Senator Obama. Rumor has it Abe Lincoln was perhaps our greatest President.

Pardon me while I have another cold one.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Look like the Hillary supporters need a heavy dose of Preparation H.

Posted by: jellybean1 | April 5, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Carolina born, Carolina bred. When I die I'll be Carolina dead.

Tar Heels for Obama!

Posted by: gmundenat | April 5, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

jvoitman --

You're a funny guy.

You have no trouble with the fact that Obama has only one year of experience in national government.

You have no problem with the fact that back in Chicago, Obama let the people who voted for him freeze in unheated slums that Rezko got $100M to repair, but didn't bother to, and that Obama never checked up on.

You have no problem that Obama never held hearings about Afghanistan after demanding that he be made chairman of the Senate panel looking into the mistakes our government made there.

You have no problem that Obama's split the Democratic party.

You have no problem with the fact that Obama doesn't have a single bit of evidence to back up his claim that he can bring people together when he's done the exact opposite.

You just think Obama's really, cool, right?

Go enjoy your beer.

When you're sober again, look at what Obama does rather than what he says.

He's got a great PR organization and throws great parties.

If he was running for Prom King we'd be all set.

He's not.

Maybe people will wake up before its too late, maybe they won't.

If Obama's the nominee, say hello to President McCain.

All it takes is for Bush to call one terror alert and Obama's toast.

People will get really serious, real fast.

Hillary could survive that and still beat McCain.

Obama doesn't stand a chance.

Enjoy your party while you have it.

Come November, the party's over.

Obama-nuts will only have themselves to blame.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

averageJane:You're my kind of babe. Are you single, married, involved with anyone? Just curious.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps they can do a story about a 'Rocky' poster and a Hillary fan. Or a McCain fan and his POW wristband. That should shut up the whiners on here.

Posted by: AverageJane | April 5, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Relax, it's just a basic fact of journalism. It's like fishing. When they go to cover these events, sometimes something happens and they get a big scoop. Other times, all they can bring home is a little story, like this one. And they need to write something. This isn't cheerleading. I've seen just as many fluff stories about the Clintons.

But if you're looking for some hit piece expose, that's not this guy's job. Alec McGillis is a field reporter, not a muckraker.

Posted by: scharb | April 5, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

svreader: I'm glad you to take yourself so seriously.

I have been thoughtful and thorough in my assessment of each of the respective candidates running for President and I believe as former Congressman Lee Hamilton does that Senator Obama has the best chance to repair the serious damage this current administration has done to our image around the globe and that he will forge a bi-partisan consensus as to how our foreign policy should be conducted when the current idiot in chief departs from office.

If you are impressed by the dissembling explanation of Senator Clinton on her 2002 Iraq War Resolution vote, that is your preogative. Former Senators like Lincoln Chaffee, Bob Graham, (former Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee) and Russ Feingold aren't impressed by Senator Clinton's tortured explanation of her vote as well as Lee Hamilton. Those are policy makers I greatly respect and they are all supporting Senator Obama. I daresay, so is Senator Chuck Hagel, even though he hasn't explicitly said so.

Pardon me while I have a cold one.

Three cheers for Senator Obama!

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and "TROUT FOR OBAMA!!!"

Posted by: Omyobama | April 5, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

johndunsmore -- righton. Cynical folks, don't read this story if you don't like it. But you forget that elections are about real people in real places. Is it this man's genuine excitement, his efforts to demonstrate that excitement, the Obama campaign's recognition of the time and effort put into the sign (once again showing why Barack Obama's running one of the best campaigns in recent history) or the fact that this is a new string that you regulars can load up with your practiced, predictable and negative rhetoric that has you all so worked up? Sad that a genuine expression of democracy in action should be sneered and jeered at by you all.

Posted by: Omyobama | April 5, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

jvoitman --

I prefer to stay sober.

Otherwise I might wind up like you and Jane.

This election is too important to decide on the basis of "levity" or planted PR articles.

Remember "who would you rather have a beer with?"

That's how we wound up with Bush.

We can't afford for that to happen again.

We need the Washington Post to strip Obama's hype away, not promote it.

He does great at that all by himself.

Just like Bush did.

That hasn't worked out very well for either America or for the world.

There are lots of time for levity.

Choosing who should be President isn't one of them.

Its too important for that.

Too many people's lives are at stake.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

svreader: Stop being such a sourpuss. Go have a cold beer and go out and have some fun tonight. It's Saturday night, lighten up my friend.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

AverageJane:Amen.

A little levity is needed as both sides hyperventilate daily about their candidates. Human interest stories tell us what people think and feel about the primary campaign and in Montana, where I bet every 4 years they feel ignored and neglected, the attention they are receiving from both candidates and the press must be terrificly exciting.

In South Florida, where I live, you get jaded about the campaign because of all the attention feted on this area and state.

Go Montana go, go for Senator Obama in 08.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

CORRECTION

What possible useful purpose can an article like this serve, except to lower the level of discussion even farther?

Why can't Chris do an article that trys to seperae the reality from the hype, instead of just another love letter to Obama?

What useful information does this provide readers?

Do articles like this one really belong in the Washington Post???

It belongs in the advertising section, if anywhere at all.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

jvoitman --

From this article, its clear Chris is also.

What useful information does this provide readers?

Do articles like this one really belong in the Washington Post???

It belongs in the advertising section, if anywhere at all.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

The article was about a trout and a man who got an autograph. Something light hearted in the garbage filled news. And some commenters have to cry about the subject. what it didn't smell fishy enough for you?

The article wasn't exactly a debate issue. Unless you don't like trout.

Go save the world from useless reporting somewhere else and let me chuckle in peace.

Montana for Obama 2008!

Posted by: AverageJane | April 5, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

svreader: Oy vey is all I can say. You are big on hyperbole my friend.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

jovitman --

When Obama is President, Satan will be selling ice cubes.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I love reading stories like this. Jaded urbanites like myself forget what a thrill it must be when you live in "flyover country" and you get the rare chance to witness history in the making. Good for Dan Taylor to make that great sign and even better that Senator Obama signed it distinctively. When Senator Obama is our next President, Dan Taylor really will be a man about town.

Posted by: jovitman | April 5, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

This story is an embarrassment to journalism. It is a perfect illustration of how biased the media is to Obama. That poor delusional cook. I feel so bad for him! He reminds me of my teenage years when I used to love George Michael and would die to get his signature but look where he is now !

Posted by: dinainva1 | April 5, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I am so sick of these Obama's supporters who always resort to personal attacks we are talking about electing our next president not about our grammar, spelling , personality, our candidates tax returns how they made their money. We are not talking about svreader as a person it is more about facts and what he is saying.This is a debate about a certain issue. That is why we are posting here. Please stop attacking the commentators to scare them off. You just won't succeed!

Posted by: dinainva1 | April 5, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Jane --

You didn't read my comment.

I'm upset that the WP acts like its Obama's Pr agency rather than acting like a newspaper and finding out for their readers what's real and what's hype.

They've done it only once, and they found that he took credit for lots of bills he never did any work on in the US Senate, just like he did in Chicago.

They act like cheerleaders for him, rather than like reporters.

If they acted this way when Nixon was in power, Watergate would never have even been discovered.

They would have just told us what a great guy Nixon was and how everybody loved him because he could play piano.

The whole Obama-mania stuff disgusts me.

It be different if he had been a giant success bringing change to Chicago, or been a real star in the Senate.

He did neither.

Not to act as the PR arm of any particular candidate's campaign.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Really svreader you are all over these comment pages like sh!t. What's the matter did you think the title was going to lead to a negative story?

And a 46 year old male cook falls in the Hillary profile of voters. It doesn't look like Dan got her message. You'd better get on the next plane and go out and convince him.

Go Montanna, Obama all the way!

Posted by: AverageJane | April 5, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The press loves Obama because his PR agency gives them lots of "cute" stories to print about him

Too bad they don't spend more time on stories of substance.

Remember, these are the same guys that sold us Bush and the Iraq war.

Its too bad newspapers just act like PR agents instead of reporters.

The whole world suffers because they lack any drive to act like reporters and dig out the truth.

So they print drivel like this.

Instead of finding out what happened back in Chicago.

We'll probably have to wait for Fox news to do that.

How ironic can life get?

Will we really have to depend on the right-wing news channel to save the Democratic Party from shooting itself in the foot?

They'll probably wait until Obama gets the nomination and then open the floodgates.

If we Democrats lose this one, its going to be completely our own fault.

Posted by: svreader | April 5, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Picture - picture - picture Show us the trout!

Posted by: gandalfthegrey | April 5, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I wanna see the trout!

Posted by: dottieb | April 5, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You know, rat, on another WAPO blog that I participate in, we have a saying - ITA - which means "Ignore the A**holes".

You, however, make it impossible to do this.

So, a quick question...Do you feel that your pissy, negative, cheesy, low ball comments add anything to the debate? Are you trying to change peoples minds, are just reveling in the fact that you can sit at your keyboard and spew crap all day without anyone being able to look you in the eye and tell you just how full of it you are?

I welcome honest debate, and see the merits and lack thereof of all 3 candidates. We are blessed this year with 3 major party candidates who care about this country, and will lead America into a better direction than we have seen over the last 2 decades.

Try to use the intelligence that you feel you have to figure out how to make points that are anything but ad-hominem in nature. It would be a refreshing change.

K?

Posted by: johndunsmore | April 5, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

A little PR Repair?

Well, I guess that is what Staffers are for!

Be nice if his Boss would not make it so necessary!

Come November 5, it can be called the one that Died!-Or, "Swam back to the Senate"

Posted by: rat-the | April 5, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

This was a nice and welcome story amidst some rather petty blog posts that seem to be far too frequent on many of the popular political blogs.

Posted by: BrownShirtGeorge | April 5, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse