McCain Backs Newspaper Shield Law

By Michael D. Shear
Sen. John McCain told newspaper executives that he supports a "shield law" to protect reporters who don't reveal their anonymous sources, putting him at odds with the Bush administration, which has threatened to veto the bipartisan legislation.

McCain said he continues to be worried about giving the press a freer hand to use anonymous sources because of the danger he said it poses to the nation's security by those who disclose secrets.

But he said he is willing to trust that reporters will use the power wisely.

"It is, frankly, a license to do harm, perhaps serious harm. But it also a license to do good -- to disclose injustice and unlawfulness and inequities, and to encourage their swift correction," he told editors at forum sponsored by the Associated Press.

His comments put him directly at odds with some of his colleagues in the Senate, and with President Bush, who have criticized the legislation. In a letter to Senate leaders last week, Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey called it "unnecessary and unwise" and said it would "wreak havoc on national security and other investigations."

McCain said he continues to be concerned about the release of information that could pose a danger to the country. "I take a very, very dim view of stories that disclose classified information that unnecessarily threatens or makes it more difficult to protect the physical security of Americans. I think that has happened before, rarely, but it has happened."

But he said if the vote on the bill were taken today, "I would vote yes."

The "shield" bill, which is sponsored by Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York and Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, is being reworked to address some of the security concerns, according to aides to Democrats in the Senate.

By Web Politics Editor  |  April 14, 2008; 4:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Met With Cries of 'No!' in Latest Bitter Speech
Next: Obama Called 'Obama bin Laden'

Comments

Sorry Albert; I made up my mind long time ago. If things are going to get fixed, a Democrat has to do it, much like Clinton did after Bush Sr. screwed this country up.

Obama or Clinton; either would make a great President.

Posted by: Michael | April 14, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Albert!

Post this on a site that might be close to relevant. Also, I would encourage you to separate fact from opinion.

Posted by: mm | April 14, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

It is a sad day when such a bill needs to be passed, our constitution already guarantees free speech and it applies to the press.

I don't like this bill as it will take away some of the freedoms the press has. We don't need this, what we need is a congress willing to stand up to an imperialist president and say no! You cannot prosecute the press for writing what they know. We all know the press works with the government to ensure they don't compromise security. The fact that telecoms were allowing illegal wiretaps at the behest of the gov was held up a full year because the Bushies said it would harm security. A lie and the NYT finally went public when that became apparent to them.

Posted by: datdamwuf | April 14, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Well, if McCain is actually supporting this, he wins some brownie points.
(But not enough for me to vote for him, however.)
And to Mike: Great post -- you nicely sum up why media shield is important.

And to Albert from Boca Raton: I'd really advice you get a life, sir.

Posted by: vegasgirl | April 14, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

MikeB:

May I suggest that you, and all the Democrats you know, vote for Hillary DIANE Clinton in that May 20th primary? There's still enough time for Republicans to re-register in Oregon too.

Posted by: JakeD | April 14, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame to admit it, but McCain is clearly the best candidate for President. After Cltinon's stream of lies and exaggerations, but especially after Obama's SF speech where he denigrated small town America and church and hunting and target shooting, and especially where he stated that it was out of fear and bitterness that we opposed free trade and illegal immigration, Barak Obama showed that he doesn't understand us, doesn't wanrt to uderstand us, and is no different than the sterotype white bigot he portrayed us as. We spent Saturday washing our Obama stickers off our cars, taking down signs and having our family removed from his mailing list. I expect Obama to loose the Oregon primary over this display of his honest internal opinion of us - neither I nor any member of my family will be voting for him, that is certain.

In stark contrast, even though I do not agree with him on many issues, I do trust John McCain and wll vote for him, redirect my Obama contributions to him, and will work for his election. I am sick to death of being lied to, taken as a fool, taken for granted, electing hacks, Democratic hacks (and I'm a registered Democrat!), and generally being told one thing while my representative and Party do something else entirely. I can at least be assured that John McCain wont lie to me, wont play me for the fool, and wont talk down to me.

Posted by: MikeB | April 14, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I saw that fawning AP press lovefest. Yes, he said he was in favor of the shield law, but I got the impression he wanted a few caveats in the law...something about "guidelines" for judges. Don't take everything at face value when it comes to the neocons.

Posted by: midwestblue | April 14, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Good for McCain. You don't have to like everything in the Constitution to know that it works.
If it were up to the Bush Administration nobody in this country would know that we are in Iraq.

Posted by: Mike, Sacramento | April 14, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Albert. I know it's not a soundbite explanation, but Obama's lie about taking public financing should be added to that list as well:

Posted by: JakeD | April 14, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"mauisean" is typical of the extreme left, anyone who does not agree with them are Nazis!
If you stand in the center where most of America resides and reject the politics of hating America and what it stands for you are ignorant Fasists or worse Republicans.
Everything written above in the "diatribe" is true and verifiable. "mauisean" should stop the name-calling and attack the statements not the messenger.

Posted by: Albert from Boca Raton, FL | April 14, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. In WW2, the Nazi chief of propaganda stated that anything they wanted to be true would become true in the minds of the German people IF they repeated it enough times. Seems this tactic has been picked up and used by the Republican party in a very effective3 manner over the years, and emulated by hate mongers and other confused and hateful people - such as the diatribe on Obama above. The real question we face is - are we ready as a people to be strong enough and look deep enough to move beyond this Nazi tactic that has brought us so much grief in our political system.
The information above is blatantly false. How many of you are willing to take the time to research the honest information?? Answer - probably not one person who reads this will do so.
if you don't - hatred and ignorance will once again be the guiding light for our country.

Posted by: mauisean | April 14, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Boy Blows Up 213 Balloons With His Nose
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: April 14, 2008
Filed at 4:55 p.m. ET

BLAINE, Wash. (AP) -- A 13-year-old boy is claiming the world record for blowing balloons with his nose. Using one nostril at a time, Andrew Dahl inflated 213 balloons within an hour Friday in the town's public library. His feat has been submitted for review by Guinness World Records.

His father, Doug Dahl, measured the balloons to make sure each was at least 20 centimeters, about 8 inches, the minimum diameter, and his mother, Wendy Dahl, kept the tally.

At one point he asked, ''Does this count as practicing my trumpet?'' His mother replied, ''Only if you can play that with your nose.''

It was his second try. In February he sent a videotape of himself inflating 184 balloons, only to learn that it didn't count because he handed them to his father to tie. This time he tied them off himself.

Posted by: McCain Supports Media/Sneeze Shield Law | April 14, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA LAUNDRY LIST OF LIES ( 65 lies as of March 31 2008)
1.) Selma Got Me Born - LIAR, your parents felt safe enough to have you in 1961 - Selma had no effect on your birth, as Selma was in 1965.
2.) Father Was A Goat Herder - LIAR, he was a privileged, well educated youth, who went on to work with the Kenyan Government.
3.) Father Was A Proud Freedom Fighter - LIAR, he was part of one of the most corrupt and violent governments Kenya has ever had
4.) My Family Has Strong Ties To African Freedom - LIAR, your cousin Raila Odinga has created mass violence in attempting to overturn a legitimate election in 2007, in Kenya. It is the first widespread violence in decades.
5.) My Grandmother Has Always Been A Christian - LIAR, she does her daily Salat prayers at 5am according to her own interviews. Not to mention, Christianity wouldn't allow her to have been one of 14 wives to 1 man.
6.) My Name is African Swahili - LIAR, your name is Arabic and 'Baraka' (from which Barack came) means 'blessed' in that language. Hussein is also Arabic and so is Obama.
7.) I Never Practiced Islam - LIAR, you practiced it daily at school, where you were registered as a Muslim and kept that faith for 31 years,until your wife made you change, so you could run for office.
8.) My School In Indonesia Was Christian - LIAR, you were registered as Muslim there and got in trouble in Koranic Studies for making faces (check your own book).
9.) I Was Fluent In Indonesian - LIAR, not one teacher says you could speak the language.
10.) Because I Lived In Indonesia, I Have More Foreign Experience - LIAR, you were there from the ages of 6 to 10, and couldn't even speak the language. What did you learn, how to study the Koran and watch cartoons.
11.) I Am Stronger On Foreign Affairs - LIAR, except for Africa (surprise) and the Middle East (bigger surprise), you have never been anywhere else on the planet and thus have NO experience with our closest allies.
12.) I Blame My Early Drug Use On Ethnic Confusion - LIAR, you were quite content in high school to be Barry Obama, no mention of Kenya and no mention of struggle to identify - your classmates said you were just fine.
13.)An Ebony Article Moved Me To Run For Office - LIAR, Ebony has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.
14.) A Life Magazine Article Changed My Outlook On Life - LIAR, Life has yet to find the article you mention in your book. It doesn't, and never did, exist.
15.) I Won't Run On A National Ticket In '08 - LIAR, here you are, despite saying, live on TV, that you would not have enough experience by then, and you are all about having experience first.
16.) Present Votes Are Common In Illinois - LIAR, they are common for YOU, but not many others have 130 NO VOTES.
17.) Oops, I Misvoted - LIAR, only when caught by church groups and democrats, did you beg to change your misvote.
18.) I Was A Professor Of Law - LIAR, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.
19.) I Was A Constitutional Lawyer - LIAR, you were a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.
20.) Without Me, There Would Be No Ethics Bill - LIAR, you didn't write it,introduce it, change it, or create it.
21.) The Ethics Bill Was Hard To Pass - LIAR, it took just 14 days from start to finish.
22.) I Wrote A Tough Nuclear Bill - LIAR, your bill was rejected by your own party for its pandering and lack of all regulation - mainly because of your Nuclear Donor, Exelon, from which David Axelrod came.
23.) I Have Released My State Records - LIAR, as of March, 2008, state bills you sponsored or voted for have yet to be released, exposing all the special interests pork hidden within.
24.) I Took On The Asbestos Altgeld Gardens Mess - LIAR, you were part of a large group of people who remedied Altgeld Gardens. You failed to mention anyone else but yourself, in your books.
25.) My Economics Bill Will Help America - LIAR, your 111 economic policies were just combined into a proposal which lost 99-0, and even YOU voted against your own bill.
26.) I Have Been A Bold Leader In Illinois - LIAR, even your own supporters claim to have not seen BOLD action on your part.
27.) I Passed 26 Of My Own Bills In One Year - LIAR, they were not YOUR bills, but rather handed to you, after their creation by a fellow Senator, to assist you in a future bid for higher office.
28.) No One Contacted Canada About NAFTA - LIAR, the Candian Government issued the names and a memo of the conversation your campaign had with them.
29.) I Am Tough On Terrorism - LIAR, you missed the Iran Resolution vote on terrorism and your good friend Ali Abunimah supports the destruction of Israel.
30.) I Am Not Acting As President Yet - LIAR, after the NAFTA Memo, a dead terrorist in the FARC, in Colombia, was found with a letter stating how you and he were working together on getting FARC recognized officially.
31.) I Didn't Run Ads In Florida - LIAR, you allowed national ads to run 8-12 times per day for two weeks - and you still lost.
32.) I Won Michigan - LIAR, no you didn't.
33.) I won Nevada - LIAR, no you did not.
34.) I Want All Votes To Count - LIAR, you said let the delegates decide.
35.) I Want Americans To Decide - LIAR, you prefer caucuses that limit the vote, confuse the voters, force a public vote, and only operate during small windows of time.
36.) I passed 900 Bills in the State Senate - LIAR, you passed 26, most of which you didn't write yourself.
37.) My Campaign Was Extorted By A Friend - LIAR, that friend is threatening to sue if you do not stop saying this. Obama has stopped saying this.
38.) I Believe In Fairness, Not Tactics - LIAR, you used tactics to eliminate Alice Palmer from running against you.
39.) I Don't Take PAC Money - LIAR, you take loads of it.
40.) I don't Have Lobbysists - LIAR, you have over 47 lobbyists, and counting.
41.) My Campaign Had Nothing To Do With The 1984 Ad - LIAR, your own campaign worker made the ad on his Apple in one afternoon.
42.) My Campaign Never Took Over MySpace - LIAR, Tom, who started MySpace issued a warning about this advertising to MySpace clients.
43.) I Inspire People With My Words - LIAR, you inspire people with other people's words.
44.) I Have Passed Bills In The U.S. Senate - LIAR, you have passed A BILL in the U.S. Senate - for Africa, which shows YOUR priorities.
45.) I Have Always Been Against Iraq - LIAR, you weren't in office to vote against it AND you have voted to fund it every single time, unlike Kucinich, who seems to be out gutting you Obama. You also seem to be stepping back from your departure date - AGAIN.
46.) I Have Always Supported Universal Health Care - LIAR, your plan leaves us all to pay the 15,000,000 who don't have to buy it.
47.) I Only Found Out About My Investment Conflicts Via Mail - LIAR, both companies you site as having sent you letters about this conflict have no record of any such letter ever being created or sent.
48.) I Am As Patriotic As Anyone - LIAR, you won't wear a flag pin and you don't put your hand over your heart during the Anthem.
49.) My Wife Didn't Mean What She Said About Pride In Country - LIAR, your wife's words follow lock-step in the vein of Wright and Farrahkan, in relation to their contempt and hatred of America.
50.) Wal-Mart Is A Company I Wouldn't Support - LIAR, your wife has received nearly a quater of a million dollars through Treehouse, which is connected to Wal-Mart.
51.) Treehouse Is A Small Company - LIAR, the CEO of Treehouse last year, made more than the CEO of Wal-Mart, according to public records.
52.) University Of Chicago Hospital Pay Is Fair - LIAR, your wife's pay raise was nearly 150% her already bloated rate and the hospital is a Non-Profit Hospital, which made $100,000,000 in the last 3 years. They overcharge blacks VS whites for services, and overcharge everyone in general by 538%!
53.)I Barely Know Rezko - Only 5 Billed Hours - LIAR, you have known him for 17 years, and decided to do a real estate deal with him during a time when he was proven to be under investigation. Despite this, you divided your property and had them take off $300K before the mortgage problems started. Then Rezko's wife buys the lot beside it that you can't afford, saving you $625,000.
54.) My Donations Have Been Checked Thoroughly - LIAR, you only gave back Hsu ($72K) and Rezko (first $66K, then when caught lying $86K, then when caught lying again $150K and now caught lying YET AGAIN OBAMA, it's $250k) their money when publically called on their involvement in your campaigns.
55.) My Church Is Like Any Other Christian Church - LIAR, your church is so extreme, the pastor who married you, Rev. Wright, just got done blaming the US for 9/11 and named Louis Farrahkan their person of the year.
56.) I Disagree With My Church All The Time - LIAR, you still have yet to repudiate Wright, who married you and your wife, and you still donate large sums of money to assist the church in furthering its message - hatred and revenge. You donated in 2006 alone, $22,500 to the church that you so terribly disagree with. That is nearly $500 PER WEEK - that sure is disagreement, Senator Obama.
57.) I Have Clean Connections Despite Rezko - LIAR, you are not only connected to Exelon and Rezko, you are also connected to Hillary PAC supporter Mr. Hsu, AND an Iraqi Billionaire of ill repute, Nadhmi Auchi, who ripped off people in the Food For Oil, Iraqi deal. Seems Mr. Auchi may have helped Obama buy his million dollar property long before Obama had millions of dollars. Wonder what favors Mr. Auchi expects, when Obama leaves Iraq free to be taken over by special interests such as him.
58.) I never heard sermons like Rev. Wright's, that have been in videos all day, You Tube - LIAR! 3 days later during your Mea Culpa BS speech you said "Did I hear controversial statements while I sat in that church? Yes I did."
59.) The Passport Invasion is a conspiracy to find dirt on me! - LIAR. Your own Campaign Foreign Policy Advisor is the CEO of the company that looked into your records. PS - You had them look into yours to hide the fact you looked into Clinton's and McCain's more than a year before!
60.) Rev. Meeks has nothing to do with my campaigning - LIAR. Rev. Meeks appeared in ads for your Senate Campaign, donated to you, and helped raise money, then AND NOW. PS - He also seems to despise America.
61.) My wife didn't mean America is ignorant, she was just using a phrase - LIAR. Again, MicHELLe's comments perfectly sync with Wright's, Meeks', and Farrakhans, both in language, anger, and direction.
62.) I am very Anti-Terror - LIAR. [03/30/2008] One of your good pals is long time radical and terrorist William Ayers, with whom you have been seen in the last 12 months and who has helped the now jailed khalidi, Professor at Columbia who invited Ahmadinejad to the University, to raise money for Palestinian terrorism attacks against Israel. PS - Your church published a pro Hamas Manifesto - guess you weren't there on THAT Sunday either? How lucky for you.
63.) I have the best plan to cure the Mortgage Crisis - LIAR. [03/30/2008] You and your campaign buddy Penny SubPrime Bank Collapse Prizker have had your little fingers full of subprime cash - Obama has taken $1,180,103 from the top issuers of subprime loans: Obama received $266,907 from Lehman, $5395 from GMAC, $150,850 from Credit Suisse First Boston, $11,250 from Countrywide, $9052 from Washington Mutual, $161,850 from Citigroup, $4600 from CBASS, $170,050 from Morgan Stanley, $1150 from Centex, and last but certainly NOT LEAST - Obama received $351,900 from Goldman Sachs. I am sure that cash all came from folks who knew the subprime loan they had was a dream, eh?
64) I played greater role in crafting liberal stands on gun control, the death penalty and abortion - LIAR - [03/31/2008] It was found that Obama -- the day after sitting for the interview -- filed an amended version of the questionnaire, which appears to contain Obama's own handwritten notes added to one answer. Read Obama had greater role on liberal survey
65) I did NOT play the race card: - LIAR - [03/31/2008] Obama was the first to play the race card. According to Phialdelphia Inquirer, Quietly, the storm over the hateful views expressed by Sen. Barack Obama's pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, has blown away the most insidious myth of the Democratic primary campaign. Obama and his surrogates have charged that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has deliberately and cleverly played the race card in order to label Obama the "black" candidate. Read more here
66) I did not take money from oil companies: - LIAR - [03/31/2008]
THE FACTS: True enough, Obama does not take money from oil companies. No candidate does. It is illegal for corporations to give money to politicians. Corporations, however, do have political action committees that collect voluntary donations from employees and then donate them to candidates. Obama doesn't take money from PACs. He also doesn't take money from lobbyists.
But he does accept money from executives and other employees of oil companies and two of his fundraisers are oil company executives. As of Feb. 29, Obama's presidential campaign had received nearly $214,000 from oil and gas industry employees and their families, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. Clinton had received nearly $307,000 from industry workers and their families and Republican Sen. John McCain, the likely GOP presidential nominee, received nearly $394,000, according to the center's totals.
Two of Obama's fundraisers are Robert Cavnar, the chairman and chief executive of Houston-based Mission Resources Corp., and George Kaiser, the president and CEO of Tulsa-based Kaiser-Francis Oil Co

Posted by: Albert from Boca Raton, FL | April 14, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

My concern goes more towards Editors and Publishers, after all, it is ultimately THEM that decides what sees Ink, Celluloid or Air.

Where then the Gullible Sheeple are exposed. :-(

See, MY concern is the Spinning, who is doing it, WHY, and how much is acceptable before we can accuse the Media of Creating, Manipulating, or in many Cases BEING the News.

Freedom of the Press should carry with an obligation to give accurate and full disclosures without Partiality.

RAT now gets X'ed! BAD RAT! Biting the Media! The Nerve-Yeah, I was aiming for it! ;~)

Somebody's got to keep WaPo Honest!

For what it is worth, and FYI-The New York Times(Treason Times) would NEVER Tolerate ME!

The Washington Post does NOT win Multiple Pulitzers for NOTHING! :-)

Posted by: RAT-The | April 14, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Yet ANOTHER issue where McSAME is not the same ...

Posted by: JakeD | April 14, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

It is ridiculous that this bill even need be passed. All it does is enforce what was put into our Constituion decades ago... "Freedom of Press"... does anyone remember the Constitution anymore??

So - thank you McCain for putting this forward - and smart of you to distance yourself from Bush policy.

But, sorry, you are still not getting my vote.

Obama '08

Posted by: jencm | April 14, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess our 'friend' John McCain wants to, not only throw open the borders to who knows who but, wants to give away all of national secrets to the "Liberal" media!!

Let the demonization begin!!!

Posted by: thebob.bob | April 14, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse