McCain Launches Tour of 'Forgotten Places'

With the historic Edmund Pettus Bridge in the background, Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) campaigns in Selma, Ala., April 21, 2008. (Associated Press)

By Michael D. Shear
Sen. John McCain began an effort to reach out to minorities and the poor this morning, saying in Selma, Alabama, that he will spend the week visiting people who have been ignored by politicians in both parties.

"There must be no forgotten places in America, whether they have been ignored for long years by the sins of indifference and injustice, or have been left behind as the world grew smaller and more economically interdependent," McCain said in prepared remarks. "In America, we have always believed that if the day was a disappointment, we would win tomorrow."

The Republican presidential nominee lavished praise on John Lewis, an African American leader in the civil rights movement and a long-time Democratic congressman from Georgia. McCain said Lewis is fighting to achieve "a better country than the one he inherited.''

McCain recounted in vivid detail the march that Lewis and other civil rights activists made across the bridge, only to be beaten as they crossed.

"John Lewis took the first blow, a baton thrust to the stomach that shoved him back on the marchers behind him," McCain said. "He took the second blow, too, a hard swung club to his head, leaving a permanent scar where it struck. Blood poured from the wound, darkening his raincoat. He tried to struggle to his feet, and then collapsed unconscious, his skull fractured."

Later this week, McCain is scheduled to visit Appalachia, New Orleans, Youngstown and Little Rock. McCain's advisers say the week long trip is designed to make sure the GOP does not cede the issue of compassion to the Democrats.

The Democratic National Committee released an ad over the weekend aimed at pushing back on that issue. The ad mocks McCain for suggesting that Americans are better off now, after eight years with President Bush at the country's helm. "

"By trying to convince people that they are better off, John McCain is ignoring the reality that families are facing as they try to keep their homes, put food on the table, and find a good job," said DNC chair Howard Dean. "His answer to their concerns is more of the same deficit spending and billionaire tax giveaways. This is just one of the many reasons we are confident that as Americans ask themselves if they are better off they will recognize that John McCain is the wrong choice for America's future."

By Web Politics Editor  |  April 21, 2008; 9:32 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Has $42 Million in Bank; Clinton Has $8 Million
Next: Obama Comments an Issue in Pa. House Race

Comments

manunitdfan-I am used to getting ZERO Benefits. Spare me yours.

Hear me and hear me clearly:

People want Equality? Then;

SETTLE FOR BEING EQUAL!

Millions of People of Color have immigrated into this Country SINCE the Seventies, sucking up special Treatment just because they are "People of Color"!

Damn!, I mean Cleric "Wright" sort of Damn!

Is there a Country I can move to where I get "Special Treatment"? ;~)

ENOUGH OF THE BS!

Posted by: RAT-The | April 21, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

question: what does the term racially "black" mean in America?

answer: as our media has finally started to admit, anywhere between 1% and 99% white

Posted by: jenn | April 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

as well as, hijacked by '60's ex-hemp heads

Posted by: jenn | April 21, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

DEM - Disinguine, Elitist, Minority party

Posted by: jenn | April 21, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

McCain should not try to pander to the far-left and to people who are never going to vote for Republicans, no matter what.

Whatever bravery John Lewis demonstrated on that bridge his despicable rhetoric and action against those who he disagrees with politically has invalidated it.

Moreover, he is a firm admirer and supporter of Fidel Castro and other anti-American thugs throughout the world.

Posted by: Carlos Echevarria | April 21, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

You FAIL to mention NO BLACKS showed for his photo-op!

The audience was MIDDLE CLASS WHITE!

Posted by: Sam | April 21, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Intelligent People fully realize it was the Republicans that actually initiated Affirmative Action and Civil Rights.

BUT, those are BOTH OUTDATED!"

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was poorly phrased and that you don't think civil rights are outdated.

But regardless, President Kennedy issued the first executive order promoting "affirmative action," and President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, so I'm not 100% sure which Republicans you're referring to.

Posted by: ManUnitdFan | April 21, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

McCain (quoted by SwampPolitics.com, Dec. 18, 2007): "The issue of economics is something that I've really never understood as well as I should. I understand the basics, the fundamentals, the vision, all that kind of stuff. But I would like to have someone I'm close to that really is a good strong economist. As long as Alan Greenspan is around I would certainly use him for advice and counsel." Bush did REALLY well by doing the same thing, not knowing much about anything, then using that same ignorance to appoint yes men.
Add onto that the inability to distinguish Sunni from Shia, The Iranians from Al Qaeda. His flip flops on torture, immigration, the housing crisis, abortion, Bush tax cuts, campaign finance reform, the confederate flag, stem cell research and many more are the least of his problems. His biggest pitfall beyond the myriad i already have addressed is simply this.....
The fairytale notion that we can solve hundreds of years of conflict inside of ten years at the end of our bayonets. FOLLY.
Some will say he was quoted out of context about staying in Iraq for a hundred years. Truth is that he didnt need to be taken out of context. McCains niave notions on "Peacetime" American presence in Iraq is as silly and flawed as his entire foreign policy. Iraq isnt Korea, or Japan, or Germany. This insight has escaped him, just like the "forgetten places" or "forgotten voters." File that along side the many of important matters John has forgotten.

Posted by: feastorafamine | April 21, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

should've read 'until it's time to get votes.'

Posted by: tydicea | April 21, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

What is this 'forgotten places?' Are these the places he forgot about until it times to get votes? Just asking....

Posted by: tydicea | April 21, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

How Embarrassing.

McCain-Don't PANDER! :-(

BUT, those are BOTH OUTDATED! There comes a Time to say we have Moved on, STOP living in the Past!

The two things all those people need, is a swift kick in the Bottom, and A LEVEL Playing Field that makes them actually EQUAL with everyone else-That is LEGALLY able to be Employed Here!

By LEVEL Field, you better believe I am Including a MAJOR Crackdown on Un-Documented, Un-Taxed, Illegal Labor!

The YEAR-2008;

ACT LIKE IT! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | April 21, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

For goodness sakes, McCain and the forgotten people? Where has he been all these years? There are a lot of forgotten people in the USA and will be forgotten again as soon as this old
hotheaded geezer moves out. A vote for McCain is a vote for four more years of shame.

Posted by: Westexacan | April 21, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

McCain's POLITICAL ADVISORS dreamed up this "tour" - it is stolen straight from John Edward's previous efforts along these lines.

The difference is that John Edwards was sincere about it and McCain is giving lip service!

Posted by: jSmith | April 21, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

John McCain is basically a good, decent, trustworthy man who will be a significant improvement as POTUS and Commander in Chief. You know what you get and you won't be snowed by him or manipulated. Americans can be thankful its McCain and not some carpetbagger. He will do the right thing, especially on major issues that will effect the whole course and history of America. He's older, but so was Winston Churchill. Reliable. Humorous. Real. Open. Mac.

Posted by: Capt.McMahon | April 21, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

There are many of us out here who wish to be the "forgotten" in our society. I wish the federal government would forget about me; forget about my health care, and welfare (read the tenth amendment)my social security and, by the way, forget about taxing my brains out every year. I'll be just fine on my own. If I die because the government didn't do enough for me; What do you care? I have the courage to die for smaller government. How about you? I didn't think so.

Posted by: Clifton | April 21, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Well, I should have exempted my hero, Abraham Lincoln, from my earlier statement!

Posted by: KYJurisDoctor | April 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

John McCain is right, of course, and is doing more than other Republicans have done in the past.

Posted by: KYJurisDoctor | April 21, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Your name is big brother
You say that you got me all in your notebook,
Writing it down everyday,
Your name is I'll see ya,
I'll change if you vote me in as the pres,
The President of your soul
I live in the ghetto,
You just come to visit me 'round election time.
- Stevie Wonder (Talking Book)

Posted by: Joy | April 21, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

This old fool is so full of crap we all need to send him a bale of toilet paper instead of contributions.To even do what he is doing,making "sure that the GOP doesn`t cede the issue of compassion to the other party";has he lost what little mind he has left. Those people in the "forgotten" towns should throw rotten eggs at him but then they most likely don`t have any eggs because of him, and Bush,Cheny, they have to use food money for gasoline. Disgusting!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Robert Gates | April 21, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Hey frank, instead of getting all of your information from an opposing campaign ad, how about you look at McCain's entire answer to the question, not just the snipet the DNC wants you to see.

Posted by: josh | April 21, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

McCain is a Republican. Plain and simple.

He is right Republicans have forgotten places.....Republicans do ignore the poor.

I hope someone throws a pie in his face.

What a joke. Republicans pi-ss me off.

Republican = Psyops

Posted by: ApostasyUSA | April 21, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I find it sad that a long-term politician suddenly wakes up to discover there are hordes of people in our country that have been forgotten or ignored. Really what I mean is that I find it sad that he thinks we're supposed to believe he was totally ignorant of this from birth and forgive his years in senate from which he could have done something about it to begin with. He's either blissfully ignorant of reality, or a charlatan. Neither of which makes up a good candidate.

Posted by: CT | April 21, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Obama already visited what could be the most politically ignored group in U.S. history: Native Americans on the Rez. Is McCain going to tour the Rez as well?

Posted by: Ana | April 21, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Attention, Morons: McCain did not say he wants to continue the war 100 years. Obama, by contrast, has everyone believing that the day he takes office, the war will end, the troops will come home, and that will be that. Yeah, right, and when it doesn't happen, I'm sure it will be all Bush's fault that Obama lied to the American public just to get elected.

Posted by: BC | April 21, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Good for John. It won't work, but it's something to do until he's defending his policy proposals against the Democratic nominee. He'll forget those "forgotten places" soon enough, he's still trying to get his Sunni's and Shia's straight.Imagine trying to keep from getting confused between Selma and Sardis.

Posted by: Gut Check | April 21, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The Democratic National Committee has launched its first anti-McCain ad. The ad takes McCain to task for saying Americans are "better off" than they were eight years ago. The Video ad will run on cable networks this:

Posted by: Frank, Austin TX | April 21, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

When has John McCain ever done anything for our Veterans?

Posted by: BudinTexas | April 21, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

McCain is reaching out to people who have been ignored by politicians? How about the wounded vets coming home from Iraq? You know, the war he'd like to see continue for 100 years. McCain voted against giving the VA more money to take care of them. I suppose he could argue he's not ignoring them, he's just going to vote against helping them overcome their battle inflicted injuries.

Posted by: MikeMcNally | April 21, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse