Obama Rallies Gary with Talk of Tough Times

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) shakes hands with supporters during a campaign stop in Gary, Indiana, April 10, 2008. (Reuters)

By Shailagh Murray
GARY, Ind. -- Sen. Barack Obama brought his newly minted economic populist message to one of the country's most troubled cities -- and a key front in his nomination battle with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Obama reminded the crowd at Roosevelt High School that he got his start in public service working as a community organizer in a Chicago neighborhood struggling after the local steel mill closed - the story of Gary, albeit on a much smaller scale. "Many of you lived through those hard times, and are still living through them today," Obama said.

"We also know that times haven't been too tough for everyone in our economy -- because the top Wall Street CEOs have been doing just fine," he continued. He referred to a new study that the top 50 CEOs were making over $15 million each. "Despite the fact that many of their companies were having a bad year. Think about that."

The crowd erupted in a chant: "We want change. We want change." Gary is over 80 percent African American, and a strong showing here is vital to Obama winning Indiana on May 6. "I am going to need a big turnout here in northwest Indiana," he told the audience.

Obama answered questions about outsourcing, veterans benefits and the weak dollar -- the usual town-hall fare. But on the dollar issue, he offered a fresh spin.

"The reason the dollar is going down is because our economy is weaker relative to the rest of world," he said, explaining currency dynamics in a professorial tone. "We've been borrowing money like nobody's business from China." Then he switched gears. "We're like that cousin who always comes and never seems to have a job. He's buying new rims on his car, but can't pay the rent."

He renewed his call for a second stimulus package, including a fund to help people avoid foreclosure, and offered a critique of Sen. John McCain's speech on the housing crisis.

"Just look at the speech he's giving today about our economy," Obama said. "I'm glad he's finally offered a plan. Better late than never. But don't expect any real answers. Don't expect it to actually help struggling families. Because Senator McCain's solution to the housing crisis seems a lot like the George Bush solution, which is to sit by, and hope it passes by, while families face foreclosure and watch their home prices decline."

Tucker Bounds, a McCain spokesman, was quick with a retort. "Unlike Senator Obama, John McCain doesn't believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem. He has produced thoughtful, near-term solutions that provide a bridge to a stronger economy that replaces workers' fears of losing a job with a pathway to opportunity and prosperity for their families," he said. "It's unfortunate that Senator Obama has yet again chosen sound bites over solutions."

By Web Politics Editor  |  April 10, 2008; 1:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain Refines Plan for Homeowners
Next: McCain Urges Olympic Ceremony Boycott

Comments

T, you are right that we shouldn't fixate on stupid, low-brow media-hyped black and white judgements. I'm not entirely without hope that we can move in that direction. And, in spite of that, I am one of the guilty ones who is so frustrated that I take some pleasure in the humiliation of my tormenters (The Bush Machine). I think that's the problem for me. I feel such strong hatred of the policies that we have been suffering under that, out of frustration and despair,I also lash out with the same hatred. It's difficult to weed this out of oneself. I need help to get out of this cycle. I think most of us do, and that's the problem in this country now.

Posted by: Patty McSmith | April 10, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm concerned that we don't know enough about Hillary and her connections with all kinds of shady people. I heard she's married to a man who was disbarred for perjury, who dodged the draft and didn't inhale. I also heard that her husband rented out the Lincoln bedroom.

And what about her top adviser who was making trade deals on the side with foreign governments? And what about those two brothers of hers who were selling pardons out of the back door of the White House? We need to know more about Hillary and her connections before we give her the nomination. She has not been vetted!

Posted by: freedom | April 10, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I'd like the reporter to at least mention that Gary is a suburb of Chicago, so this is home turf for Obama.

Gary is closer to Hyde Park than Evanston.

Posted by: Fro | April 10, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

obama was selfish and never get to states any thing i am a black man and i think slave is slave for ever . most people think obama call for change that never come states come to era of disilliusion

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Hillary really did brave those sniper bullets. And if she didn't, so what? At least she remembers she does, and that is the most important thing. Poeple who criticise her have probably never braved sniper bullets, or even imagined they were doing so, or recalled later that they had. And if they did, they certainly would not have been as brave as Hillary, when whe was braving them, even though it turned out she didn't. But what of it? She says millions of words everyday, so just by probability some of those words are going to come out wrong. Or, I suppose her critics have never studied probability either?

Posted by: frank burns | April 10, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Sam K. from Seattle, that's a very interesting and pragmatic sentiment.

The problem is that you are, obviously, comfortable with a black leader. Aside from some episodes of 24 (the Fox show), I think large swaths of Americans are not comfortable with this notion. Rural white America over the age of 30, for the large part, cannot stomach this notion. I DON'T think it's about overt racism. It's about cultural bias and the prejudices that people hold -- maybe that's not a semantically meaningful distinction.

I wish it weren't so, but it is. More open-minded Hillary supporters (and, I suspect, Hillary herself) don't like the taste of this truth in their mouth, but they are happy to benefit from it.

I wish blogs were generally unmonitored and unfiltered. We would then have a chance to see just how deep this antipathy runs and how ugly it truly is. I love this country, but that wound is too fresh.

Posted by: Duriseti | April 10, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

So....Hillary is against Nafta and the Colombia free agreement but, Bill is for it and has gotten lots and lots of money to lobby for it.

Doesn't that mean that Hillary will benefit from all that money as well?

Can't have it both ways girl!
Give me a break!

Posted by: Givemeabreak | April 10, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "Barack Hussain Obama may win the nomination. We all know he is not the material for November."

Really? That's not what the latest polls show. The consensus of all the polls:
Obama over McCain.

Your saying it does not make it true.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "I am quite familiar with Gary and it is completely an african-american community; thus, the happy, chanting crowd. African-americans have finally found their messiah. Unfortunately, many of us who are not african-american, do not always feel that way."

Suze, that is one of the most racist posts that I have seen yet. Got some news for you, you are as black as Obama. Check the info on your DNA. Original humans came from Africa. Were they white?? We all came from the same star dust before that. Racism went out long ago, except for most Clinton supporters.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The middle name non-sense is designed to appeal to the latent racism commonplace in white, rural areas. Thus benefiting Hillary. Racism and sympathy, fueled by a condescending sense of entitlement. Yep, ole Hillary has a lot going for her.

Posted by: gmundenat | April 10, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Poster at 5:57 - if you are going to slander Obama, or attempt to fear-monger others, at least get Obama's middle name right. It's "Hussein," not "Hussain." If you try to slur someone and misspell things, you just sound ignorant. Geez.

By the way, if you could point out to me the relevance of his middle name, besides being just a ploy to get people to believe the lies that he is a Muslim, let me know.

Posted by: alterego1 | April 10, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

A prediction: Barack Obama will win the nomination and the white house. I believe is the kind of boss I would like to work for: will inspire me to work, will communicate with me and let me know what's going on, and will have the intellectual cuiriosity and breadth to consider all points of view.

Hillary knows a lot and has a plan for everything, but will fail to get people working in concert (just look at her campaign). As a boss she would DE-motivate people.

McCain? He's alright, I would work for him but would probably be bored and uninspired. Which is not to say he's not a great guy.

Posted by: Sam K. from Seattle | April 10, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Obama was raised in many different settings, he stayed in Hawaii and decided to stick with his eduction and live with his grandparents rather then move again. If any of the Clintionites would bother reading instead of looking at 30 second soundbites they would realize that. And oh by the way, for Hillary to say that her and her husband disagree on CAFTA is such crap. He took 800,000.00 from the Columbian government, which was put in their "joint" accounts and on their "joint" tax returns, so how is it she can spend money out of a joint account which partly came from the very government she now says she can vote against. Or maybe if you checked out the Dubai money that Bill took from them to help lobby for the Dubai ports deal, which of course again Hillary said she was against. You can put lipstick on this pig, but it's still a pig folks.

Posted by: Sue F | April 10, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "And, as for Texas - caucuses don't work or we would hold them instead of elections - you can't count Texas as a win when it took months to unravel the "gaming" of the system."

Caucuses are held in many state instead of elections. Texas also has a primary and you had to vote in it to attend the caucuses. Set up by the Democtatic Party decades ago.
Read it and weep, Obama 99 delegates, Clinton 94. Clinton well understood the "gaming of the system, as it was in place during both of Bubba's campaigns.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Nothing of real substance.

How about saying I'll push for 30 more pro worker laws in the first year? Maybe mandatory overtime for more than 40 hours work, no matter what the job?

Or maybe an additional 50 environmental and worker safety laws?

Maybe a law that says CEO's can't make more than 10 times the average salary?

How about having all businesses required to provide health insurance?

That's real change.

If you have misgivings about any of the above, then you are in camp to continue the pro business stance. Which is fine, I respect that opinion.

But that is more of the same from the last 25 years.

If you want to be pro-worker, you have to talk pro worker.

Posted by: Comment | April 10, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Be careful, they will perceive you as talking mean to them. then they will cry that it is unfair.

Posted by: macmac | April 10, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Hope-Mongers, don't mind the Hillary supporters. We must all understand that they are frustrated and disappointed in Hillary and her campaign.

I wonder can you even get a Hillary supporter to honestly admit that Obama has run a great campaign. Obama started out with the least name recognition, the least amount of money, and trailed Hillary in national polls by 15 to 30 pts.

Now he is leading the Democratic nomination in total number of delegates, total number of pledged delegates, total numbers of states/caucuses won, total popular vote, total money raised, and is leading in national polls over Hillary.

Posted by: AJ | April 10, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed that the comments from Clinton supporters (or maybe Republicans trying to sow discontent) are either: i) incoherent and difficult to follow, or ii) ad hominem attacks?

What is it with you folks? Is it your misplaced feminism? Your latent fear of a black man as president? What, is he going to legalize inner city crime? I try to avoid using the "R-word", but I have a hard time resolving the source of your hate. I have nothing against Hillary's genotype, just her practices. This primary election is not a referendum on race or gender relations. The Rezko_Wright_Ayers mantra is old and it has only been a month. I suspect I know some people who have done some really questionable things as well. Have you vetted all of your acquaintances and friends lately? You better get on with it.

I'm an independent who is tired of the same 'ol. For those of you who think Obama needs to prove his experience in "running the economy", "foreign policy", etc., are you all really that naive? You need basic intelligence, analytical abilities, knowledge, transparency, and the ability to both build consensus and command respect.

Having said all of that, Obama can't win in Indiana or PA -- these are not states ready to embrace a black candidate.

Posted by: MD in MP,CA | April 10, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Obama is exactly the same as with Bush. The media fell in love with them (remember the guy you want to have a beer with?) and instead of talking about issues, checking facts they just push their favorite candidate.
It is the same all over again, Gore and Kerry couldn't do anything right, whatever they tried the media attacked or ridiculed them and now it is Hillary's turn.
Instead of hate blogs we should talk about issues, not anointing Obama as the second coming.

Posted by: rvc | April 10, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I say let the Clinton supporters have their say. The day will soon come when they have to make a choice and it won't be Clintons name on the ballot. That's when you will see if these same people are arguing because they have legitimate concerns and reasons for backing her or if they are just people who like to fight and argue. If the party is important or just backing Hillary for differing reasons.
My take is differing reasons. One nut job Super delegate stated taday she was backing Hillary because she was a woman. What a freeking dill weed remark. Yea....that's the way to make a reasonable decision based on facts...yep she is a woman...not her stand, not her moral fiber, not her ability to NOT take us back down the same street that GB has taken us down....simply because she is a woman....I fear that mindset is where the majority of her support comes from. People who are not based in any ability to really understand what they are doing. Lemmings.

Posted by: Deanna | April 10, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I AM NOT VOTING FOR A "BLACK MAN"

I am voting for the person

I'm voting for the Harvard-educated junior senator from Illinois.

I'm voting for Barack Obama

(he's the best candidate)

Posted by: Terry | April 10, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Enough already! All of you - if you want war with cluster bombs, vote McCain and Hilary - if you want change and peace, vote against them.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as a European who still cares about America (thanks to Bush and Clinton most allies have long since despairingly turned their back on America), I am hoping America actually sees sense and chooses Obama not just because he's a good candidate but the one thing America needs now is a new face to undo the cancer that set in under Reagan and has yet to be reversed. America was once loved in the world but the Reagan/Bush/Clinton years have ultimately destroyed that. Dump the old regime and start anew.

Posted by: Martin | April 10, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

As long as some people, and the media, continue to view candidates through a racial lense, the democratic process will continue to be flawed. At this time we need an independent minded leader who knows how to think logically and honestly, dealing with facts, rather than ideologically, or politically. Also, a leader who is inclusive and recognizes how to use people's best attributes independent of their past political affiliation.

Posted by: Rod | April 10, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm an Obama supporter, but I don't necessarily agree with all of Obama's stances on issues (i.e. we really should not bail out Americans and banks for buying homes they can't afford and as appealing as universal health care sounds, it's not going to work in out system). Also, regarding the comment that Obama gets a majority of his campaign contributions from the everyday folks like you and me are likely false. If you look at the record amounts he gets, it's almost impossible for everyday folks to amount that that much, especially if many of them are in small amounts (i.e. $25).

I'm voting for Obama because I feel that he's a great leader who can rally and unite people. A president isn't a "know-it-all," but the star PR person to represent America in the world, and the star PR person to lead various initiatives within the country. Sometimes you have to be able to be eloquent enough to guide nearly hopeless people to believe in the positive, and Obama is the wittiest one to do that for America.

My $0.02

Posted by: kt | April 10, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

you talk about staging things .....anytime Clinton has a townhall meeting she finds the blackest person to sit behind her.....you couldn't tell me that she only has really dark friends......on the other hand if the whites and blacks in PA were a lil more open to each other it wouldn't even be an issue.....the racial problem in America wasn't started by blacks we just adopted the practice due to all the BS we've encountered throughout the years.....and most blacks are fully content with white until we hear this petty crap that you bring up like it is going to solve anything at all.....your comments were made to bring division.....you may not have said anything as demeaning as Mr Wright but its that thought process that has America where it is today.....PS keep it positive people ...all we have is each other.....only a few of us can relocate and continue the same life we have here in the states

Posted by: to maggie b | April 10, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The Obama supporters: I have never seen so much hate and playground na nananana people. They love to dish it out, but they cant take it...remember, the first sword throw down was way back in the first debate..Obama threw it down saying Hillary worked for Walmart,,,The negetivity started with slick Obama..and when he gets it coming his way,,he cries like his supporters..he and his supporters have turned me away from the democratic party..Every time Hillary comes up with what she will do..two days later Obama says the same thing...he copies and does not come up with anything original.. In the senate, he voted present on key issues, never voting yes or no...what a phoney and game player ..I want to know what his thoughts are on gun control,,,he is skirting the issue..just as he is doing with abortion...This guy is bullcrap and if you cant see it than your lost there is no hope, except to vote for anyone but him,,,I guess im the typical white person

Posted by: tino | April 10, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I hate to break it to you but Obama didn't grow up poor. Poor people don't go to expensive private high schools. Yes, everybody was working in the family but they had well paying jobs.
He got accepted to the best colleges of the county so it is hard to see how and when did he go through the tough times.
Being a community organizer is a great way to get into politics and that is what he did.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jake | April 10, 2008 4:12 PM
---------------------------------
I mentioned my white friends because my latin friends were not backing him, one who hates Hillary is backing McCain. My black friends are all staying with Obama, as I've said before I myself am voting for party. The 'fact' is that many of his supporters, and not Wright, or Rezco, but people on these blogs, are turning off many people, if you choose to think that is not true, we will see what happens at the convention.

Now excuse me, I have to go grow up.

Posted by: Patrick NYC | April 10, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

What we Dems should really be doing now is turning our attention to defining John "100 more years" "Bomb bomb Iran" McCain, rather than attacking each other. Regardless of how you feel about it, Obama will be the nominee. It's fine to cry, moan, and rend our clothes over the loss of Hillary, but at least let's acknowledge that, barring some catastrophe (like a bus running him over), Barack will be the Democratic nominee. That said, even if he's not and Clinton takes the prize, we would really be well-served by turning all of our fire on McCain and allowing the nomination battle to sort itself out with on its own (which it will). Come on, Dems! We've got money, time, and plenty of ammunition. Let's let McBush have it!

Posted by: alterego1 | April 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

To Suze:
How much did you know about George W. Bush before he hijacked the job of leader of the whole free world. (He's white and his daddy was president.) How much do you currently know about the Clinton's back alley dealings since the days in AK? (Hillary is white and her husband was president.) These are the only things that matter to the ignorant. You are only asking these questions because you are a closet racist that is afraid to realize that America is finally becoming what its original creed and Constitution intended it to become. If Obama was only receiving the "Black vote", he'd be so far behind that we would not know his name. Fortunately for this country, many of us are becoming color blind for the good of the nation. Rumor has it that the white house is setting out hunting traps on the lawn:
Because a be@ver and a coon are trying to get in. That is a racist joke that someone told me making the incorrect assumption that all white males were misogynists and racists. Add that joke to your daily ignorant conversation.

Posted by: John Smith | April 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama is just another snake oil salesman proffering hollow promises of "change" who's about as poor as Bloomberg neither one of whom have ever known a "hungry day" in their lives.

"Peter DC" would have you believe he & Rezko was helping the indigent families of Chicago and that he bought his million dollar mansion with his income from those three years?

And, just because Obama can count on all of his Harvard cronies as well as Exelon & General Dynamics fat cats (who he's already changed bills for) to contribute the maximum amount it does NOT make his ideas any better (mitt Romney?) or his lack of experience any less glaring.

As for the rallies - they only appear to have mixed audiences due to the well documented orchestration by his campaign staffers to position people favorably in camera shots. Just have a look at some of his campaign insiders emails and you'll find the most racially skewed rhetoric one could possibly imagine.

As for lies - you can't honestly believe his story about Jeremiah Wright when his own wife's statements back up those angry anti-American speeches. Add to that his story about a friend of his who commands a rifle platoon in Iraq that anyone with even a cursory knowledge of the military saw through as rife with inaccuracies or worse untruths.

He is at best a master manipulator who will NOT be able to fool the seasoned pols in Washington with his fairy tale ideas (esp. about speaking with rogue nations).

Posted by: calvin | April 10, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Hillary braving those snipers is definitely the the right one to be President. A mind is a terrible thing to waste on fantasy.
We need someone that is not living in fantasyland. I love Hillary supporters because they are not living in the real world. They are like little children that live in the world of "make believe."

Posted by: Jim | April 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Patrcik said: "it's turning off so many of my white friends, and I'm aware he has more white supporters than black, so it's not a racist or sexist."

No it's just stupid, who cares if your friends are white, and if they are turned off from a good candidate because some of his supporters say negative things. Then they are these same people that the country is pandering to that don't know anything and vote with the wind. We can't please you or your friends. Maybe you can stop thinking about who gives you the best rose tinted glasses and think about what's best for our country. That may be any candidate, but it should be about more than you and your "white friends" being turned off and instead about you looking at the facts. GROW UP!

Posted by: Jake | April 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hillary is saying all kinds of things and making all kinds of promises with her mouth that her butt won't be able to cash later on. But that's typical of liars.
At least with Barack he's not making guaranteed promises, and at least he's told us that we will have to tighten our belts and help together to get our problems solved.

Posted by: Ingrid | April 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

At this point isn't it a little pointless to argue whose better between Clinton and Obama? Obama and McCain seem like the more relevant argument and McCain seems to have the same strategy as Bush which has gotten us here. I wasn't able to really make my mind up between Hillary and Obama, but it's made between Obama and McCain.

Posted by: Tony | April 10, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama has always talked about tough times. He is always talking about injustice, poverty and the lack of opportunity. Obama is always rallying his supporters to improve America.

I don't see anything new. May be, the prose has been rearranged but the topics were there all the time.

Posted by: Yockel | April 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

How many of the bloggers above work for the Obama campaign? If you really are interested in truths, why not admit it? Will you all campaign for a uniter/change but not admit you are being paid for writing these comments? Is this your idea of being fair and constructve?

Posted by: Ernesto Juarez | April 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

For some of you, passing up the race card is inevitable! So just because Indiana is predominately black Obama has to become somebody's Missiah, Did he become the Missiah for Iowa? People its time to listen & learn something from having Barack, yes a Black man with White & Black heritage, a dam good education, a load of intelligence, and more experience than people want to acknowledge. Because change is coming! People are changing, we may have differences but with a president like Barack Obama we will UNITE and force our government to work for us. If you want politics that continues to divide and not support us, then I guess you will vote for the other canidates. Just common sense people. Use better judgement now, you can learn to love thy neighbor later!

Posted by: Ro | April 10, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

You can smell the desperation coming from the clintonites...They have 3 posits and they run them on a loop---nothing new -nothing to validate the position -no merit...Just spew over and over... It is laughable --if it were not so pitiful...

Posted by: bink1 | April 10, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

for dan the man who's making $225K a year---I guess the only stupid or lazy people you want to bail out are the idiots running the war (and the economy into the ground), since they give you a tax cut.....I'm not going to call you lazy, because you aren't....

Posted by: ron | April 10, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Enough of the Bushes and Clintons, time to give Obama a chance. We all need a change.

A strange thought: if we are so successful in Iraq, why are we still there en masse?

Posted by: DenisR | April 10, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

T, I agree with you, but am not hopeful. As seen in many posts some people just enjoy being ignorant and it easy to appeal to those people.

Posted by: Jake | April 10, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

About time someone asks what experience Obama has in anything that would make him fit to be President. Just where did he get his economic, war, foreign policy, or even domestic policy experience from?? His pastor??

Posted by: Kay | April 10, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Ignorance is bliss. I am voting for a Democrat. I don't care if its Hillary or Barack (I would rather Barack) on November 4. I know I would perfer REAL CHANGE like Barack Obama but I would settle for the 90's of The Clintons before four more years of Bush like John Mcain. And to think some of us are just as confused as we were in 2000 and 2004. But one thing is for sure: "if we get it wrong this time", be prepare to live in a third world country. Because as soon as John McCain becomes president we can kiss our lives of peace and safety GOOD BYE! McCain next war is with Iran.

Posted by: Dee | April 10, 2008 3:26 PM
----------------------
I agree with you 100%. While I do have questions about both Hillary and Obama, there is no way in hell I'm staying at home or voting for McShame.

I just wish Obamaheads would keep the hate in check, it's turning off so many of my white friends, and I'm aware he has more white supporters than black, so it's not a racist or sexist.

They are both Democrats people, keep your eye on the prize.

Posted by: Patrick NYC | April 10, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Suze,
You need to go read a lot more before posting. You had a quite a few errors the main one being when does fifteen other candidates not count as "anyone to run after Fitzgerald ran into problems". Don't post ignorance!

Posted by: Jake | April 10, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Patrick at 2:29: very, very well said.

Posted by: Sean | April 10, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

America will continue in this free fall because it will choose the lies of Hillary or "Bush=McCain and let's go to war". I think Obama is the only one with an ounce of brain,but I'm sure most of the nation would prefer this free fall we're in and pick Hillary or McCain. Let's PARTY because a free fall is so much fun until that sudden stop!

Posted by: Jim | April 10, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Unlike Senator Obama, John McCain doesn't believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem."

The Republican war cry sounds like a broken record that won't quit! It is no wonder Obama continues to receive the overwhelming support of educated voters nationwide. It is difficult to beleive that low taxes (and high debt) are the panacea for every problem we face. But of course the R's leave out the debt part in their facade so as to cater to the overly emotional yet under educated segment of the voting population.

And of course HRC and her attack dog entourage seem to be more than willing to one up the Republicans with their simple minded and disingenuous experience game.

But alas, educated voters are just another minority to be attacked and abused if they cannot be fooled by simplistic political dogma.

Posted by: LH | April 10, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

As others have mentioned, it's hard to argue from Obama's background that his concerns for those at the bottom of the economy and the economic policies he favors are "newly minted", though with a campaign this long, all the candidates are going to have to find ways of saying the same things in new ways. That being said, isn't anyone getting tired of the exagerated claims against all these candidates? There is no Obama connection to Farrakan or Islam. McCain is not the same as Bush (just ask a conservative). Hillary might be opportunistic, but what politician isn't? And to say a former POW of many years has never known a hungry day in his life is obviously ridiculous and disrespectful of that service. The conspiracy theories and exagerated attacks being lobbied against these candidates doesn't help anyone. I realize this is politics, but can't we voters, even the ones that have found our candidate, move toward honest, reasonable and even measured assessments of these Senators rather than take the media's bait towards these extremes? We don't have to imitate the talking heads on TV.

Posted by: T | April 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Peter DC

I sure hope that we elect a president who either has newly minted speeches or ideas. Your statement that Hillary knoows the situtation and therefore don't need to change her speeches, is exactly why she shouldn't be elected.

The situation changes regularly, and with those changes, the solutions need to be reexamined and changed to meet the current situation.

This is more true in the financial markets, especially when we are now more a global economy, and something that happens in China today effects our markets and economy tomorrow.

I for one do not want a president who is set in their ways and can not be reasoned with, like the one we have now. And Hillary at this stage in her life is well documented that she is set in her ways, and not willing to look at new approaches that are not her own.

Any one who worked in management during their carrier, knows that typically an employer frowns on the well experienced job applicant, because they are already set in their way of doing things, and usually can not be molded to do things the way the company wants, so the less experienced typically gets better reviews during the job selection process. Of course this depends on the field of employment, so in some cases the experience wins out.

Posted by: Hillaryscam | April 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Suze:

If you were any less racist in your comments, you'd still quality for a Klan scholarship... African Americans didn't propel Obama, this great American, into the forefront of our political system. African Americans followed the lead of objective, color blind America before giving him their support. There's still room aboard the objective train... one can still rise above himself and experience that.

Posted by: Isaac | April 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Obama has more money than either candidate, because more than a million Americans who love this country, and know that it needs to change, have donated small sums to his campaign.

Only 23% of Hillary's money comes from small donations from individuals.... all the rest, just like McCain's comes from the fat-cats, corporations and special interest lobbies.

So the question facing voters in this election is:

Who do you want your next president to represent?

The special interest lobbies?
(if so, then vote for McCain or Clinton)

or

The American People?
(if so, then vote for Barack Obama)

Posted by: x | April 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This is such a joke. They have been writing checks for Iraq in the billions and its our money. Did I vote for War ? Now I will vote to get rid of the people who throw pearls at ...

Posted by: William R | April 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The notion that Hillary has economic experience is just silly. Look, she worked on health care for her husband's administration. She played a tangential role in advocating for her husband's economic policies, as we saw with NAFTA. How that comprises economic experience is a mystery to me.

It's her husband who has experience with the economy. But he's also been receiving literally millions of dollars from people with vested interests in economic policy, which, in any kind of remotely ethic administration, should disqualify him from large swaths of policy-making.

So she's pretty much on her own. Given her poor management of her campaign and her spectacular failure to deliver on her promises of job creation in her Senate campaign, I don't see any reason to believe she'd be a particularly competent steward of the economy.

Posted by: davestickler | April 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Jeez! "John McCain doesn't believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem". You see the logic of the Reps? Jeez! But John McCain does believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem in Iraq! You see the logic or rather illogic. People of your own country are suffering terrible economic hardships, losong their houses. And what is Bush doing? He is pupping trillions and the blood of young Americans into somebody's else's war. McCain is Bush all over gain.

Posted by: Dr. Jesse Kally-Williams | April 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

a vote for obama is not a vote for hillary/bill, who needs them in the white house again? wake up america and smell the roses? 24 years of clinton/bush makes me want to puke. change is in the air and is smelling pretty sweet.

Posted by: evilann | April 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

it's scary to see clinton supporters sounding more and more like mark penn every day

Posted by: Eric | April 10, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Why is Bill campaigning with such vigor?? Bill wants to be president again. Hillary may not have had much to do with his policies, but you can bet your booty that he's going to get right in there with his little nuggets of wisdom--at EVERY opportunity.

Here we have an intelligent, articulate man. Wow, what a contrast! I can't wait to vote for Obama!

Posted by: Patty McSmith | April 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

TT:

"McCain has never known a hungry day in his life." Do you think he was eating three course meals in a vietnamese prison camp?

If Obama bails out people who made poor investments, and companies that made bad loans, what is their future incentive to not do it again? If you don't allow the business cycle to function properly we will keep seeing these things over and over. Obama wants to continue the economic actions of George W. Bush, they are the most similar in that respect. This is why we see rich CEOs with failing companies, because the government keeps bailing them out.

Posted by: bstruck | April 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Here, if you intend to consider mccain for president read this first. This is much more than profanity!

Posted by: Julian | April 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Suze-"even Colin Powell, a man of great respect, said that you can't remove the troops from Iraq just like that."

And you believe a man who lied in front of the UN- basically the entire world- regarding weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?

Posted by: What respect? | April 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I am white. I am an independent I support Obama. there are no easy answers. however, if there is a need for a leader who supports real change and has the vision to bring people, nationally and internationally, together to facilitate that change. It is an easy choice to make.

Posted by: I am Joe | April 10, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Seriously??? The SAME John McCain that took money from Charles Keating, was implicated in the Savings and Loan Scandal, and was officially rebuked by Congress for his actions?

He really should not be crowing about fiscal responsibility.

Posted by: ChrisF | April 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

The same old, tired,meanspirited,Republican party trying to scare the people once again about the Democrats. Had enough with the MCBUSH Republicans who want to stay up to 100 years in Iraq. Not this time this time we will not be fooled......Time to throw the bums out......

Posted by: Johnny K | April 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

For war with Iran -- vote McCain!

Posted by: frank burns | April 10, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

obama is nothing more than a polished spoiler. his knowledge of affairs of the country is as shallow as some one reading an article in a newspaper and copying it verbeta. on the other hand hillary clint is master of has mastery on big issues and can solve them much better.
obama is also playing race and gender card shamelessly in his favour and claiming to be above race and gender.
if he really loves america as he claims then he should control his ego and join on hillary ticket. if condi rice joins mccain then only way dems can win is hillary obama ticket. some one has to put into his small head that motivational and sarcastic speeches alone does not solve the problems you also need conviction and experience.
any senior dems who are touting for obama and pressurising super delegates are nothing more than shameless pimps for a new pro.
they claim to be true dems but want to close the race halfway. SHAME ON THEM AND OBAMA FOR NOT SPEAKING AGAINST THEIR ACTIONS. TRUE DEMS DO NOT ACT LIKE PIMPS
bhagwan deol los angeles

Posted by: bhagwan deol | April 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Hillary and McCain don't have a clue. One lies and the other one can't remember what he's talking about without someone whispering in his ear.
I will say one good thing about Hillary:(1) She only lies when she opens her mouth!

Posted by: Jim | April 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I do want another 4 years! I have a great job as does my wife and am fine with paying $50K of our $225K income in taxes. We have a great house as well and didn't dip into the equity. What I don't want is my taxes going up "because we should pay higher taxes" (HRC) or bailing out stupid or lazy people.

Posted by: dan | April 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "There are millions of Non-African Americans supporting and cheering for Obama, I guess you missed those people at the rallies, huh?"

Yep, it is not a black or white thing. The black population of Texas is only 17% and Obama won the most delegates here.

Yep, he did, in spite of what the media would like you to believe, Obama won in Texas.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

(b) policies don't changes hearts and minds.

What a strange sentiment!

The policies of the Bush administration have changed the hearts and minds of the American electorate. Why do you think that the majority of Americans oppose the war in Iraq? Why do you think that the majority of Americans think that the country is headed in the wrong direction? Of course it's about policy!

The policies of the Carter administration changed the hearts and minds of the American people to the extent that it made Jimmy a one-term president.

The policies of the Nixon administration changed the hearts and minds of the American people to the point where Richard Nixon either had to resign or be impeached.

It's true that to effect change you must have the desire on the part of the people but you also have to have leadership. Back in 1929 Americans certainly had the desire to get out of the great depression, but Herbert Hoover was unable to provide the leadership to make it happen. It took an inspirational leader like FDR to do that.

Posted by: lhummer | April 10, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "Although we remember Bill Clinton's term as a time of economic success, a lot of the problems we are experiencing today are the result of Clinton making China our number one trading partner."

Please remember that Bill Clinton had little to do with the good economy. The Republicans gained control of congress shortly after he was elected and were still in power when he left. And no, I am not a Republican.
The good economy was the result of the dot.com boom and Clinton's downgrading the military.

Posted by: wly34 | April 10, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Please do NOT think you can speak for all of us who are not African Americans, Suze. This election is not about race; it is above and beyond that. It is recognizing that the right person to bring change to this country is the right person -- no matter what his or her ethnic background is.

Posted by: Jaye | April 10, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dee | April 10, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Clinton supporters are falling right into the Republicans trap. The loyalty and voting needs to be based on values and beliefs, not who the media dictates. The back and forth banter is not democracy in action, it is democracy in stagnation. Democracy is about change for the better, and not just change from the Bush Regime (which is what Hilary is championing). Obama is sincere in his campaign for change, his desire for change is not based upon trying to get votes. Hope to me is more powerful than all the diversionary contraversies that the media is constantly reporting on each night. Stop being distracted and start changing this country. And YES WE CAN!

Posted by: JRG | April 10, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Suze:

So you don't know enough about Obama, you haven't tried. I would think that knowing what you do know about Hillary would be enough to turn your stomach. You sound like someone who is afraid of change and may be resentful that someone other than the usual good old boy or girl has the country ready and hungry for change. I feel sorry for you. You may be a little behind the times. It is not a black or white thing. There are millions of Non-African Americans supporting and cheering for Obama, I guess you missed those people at the rallies, huh?

Posted by: rwm | April 10, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

The writer of this article is sooooooo obviously biased.

For example the writer says:
But on the dollar issue, he offered a fresh spin."The reason the dollar is going down is because our economy is weaker relative to the rest of world," he said.

Mr Murray, I do not see any spin here. The fact he stated he very much valid. If you need more info pls read everyday news!!

Posted by: sandy | April 10, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Who in Congress gave Bush the money to fund the war? Just pick a candidate any one will do.

Posted by: mj | April 10, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Please spare the the Hillary Clinton's speech is better crap. Hillary has Bill writing her speech's so spare me please.

Posted by: Cyndeewi | April 10, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm still not sure what exactly Obama plans on doing about it, but he is absolutely right about the dollar being weak because Americans are constantly borrowing money to buy crap. Although we remember Bill Clinton's term as a time of economic success, a lot of the problems we are experiencing today are the result of Clinton making China our number one trading partner. We have become more dependent on China and other developing countries for cheap, crappy goods, skewing the trade balance. We don't even manufacture a lot of the things we use everyday; the "made in china" label is on so many of our goods. However, now the cost of labor and goods is going up the world over as developing countries get richer and become consumers themselves. America must become more productive and innovative to compete in this changing world. We need a leader who recognizes the problems we are facing and applies pragmatic policies to protect our interests and strengthen our industries. I don't know if that leader is Obama, but it sure ain't Clinton.

As for McCain's comment, I really hate having to bail out greedy investors and the foolish people who bought into their schemes, but the fact is they're already screwing over the economy, and it will take some serious doing to improve the housing situation. Something must be done.

That said if by some miracle Clinton wins the nomination, I will vote for her over McCain.

Posted by: angel | April 10, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "He grew up basicly in Hawaii and went to one of the most elite schools in the nation. How did that prepare him to understand the issues of the steelworker in Gary?"

Apparently in the same way that Senator Clinton's upbringing prepared her to understand the issues of the steelworker in Gary. She grew up in a fairly well to do family in Illinois. She went to Wellesley, where she was a member of THE WELLESLEY YOUNG REPUBLICANS and worked for the campaign of BARRY GOLDWATER. She graduated from Yale Law School.
Yeah right, her upbringing prepared her to understand the issues of the steelworker in Gary, NOT.

Posted by: wly34 | April 10, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Peter DC,
I ask only the following qustions,whose campaign keeps going broke, whose campaign owes money all over the country, whose campaign is not running as smooth as any swiss watch I evr owned...HRC...she can't run anything, let alone our economy!

Posted by: TJ | April 10, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama is right. The rising cost of fuel and the falling economy are linked together. The dollar just is not worth what it was and the major reason for this is the war effort and the irresponsible people who are our elected representatives. For years the feds have spent more than they get in but under Bush its far worse. Its time to get out of Iraq, strengthen our borders which at the moment are leaking like a sieve and get the feds to a point where they only spend what comes in.

Posted by: Alex P | April 10, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I am quite familiar with Gary and it is completely an african-american community; thus, the happy, chanting crowd. African-americans have finally found their messiah. Unfortunately, many of us who are not african-american, do not always feel that way. Sen. Obama is inexperienced, and even Colin Powell, a man of great respect, said that you can't remove the troops from Iraq just like that. Also, Sen. Obama has many things going on in his background that we know little about, i.e., I would like to know about his relationship with Ayers, an american terrorist, Farrakhan, and of course, he can't wash his hands of the great rev. wright. Rezko another matter lurking in the background. I just think that we don't know enough about obama to elect his to anything. He only won his senate seat because the republicans in Chicago didn't have anyone to run after Fitzgerald ran into problems. They had to import Alan Keyes from Maryland and that didn't go over too well in the windy city, from where I began. He couldn't win a congressional seat before that, running against a former black panther, Bobby Rush. I think we need to sit back, learn more about him, before we make him the leader of the free world.

Posted by: suze | April 10, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I have noticed that the Hillary fans up here are just like her. Attack, attack attack Obama and hope that the country will somehow forget her "misspeaking" about the fake sniper fire and then laughing about it on Jay Leno. I will never forget that. Over 4,000 dead in Iraq and she felt possible injury or death was something to joke about. Where was the judgement that night?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Immediately after calling Obama's economic populist message "newly minted," this blogger mentions some of the speech's content, that Obama "got his start in public service working as a community organizer in a Chicago neighborhood struggling after the local steel mill closed." So how new is this economic populist message for Obama? He has been not only talking the talk but walking the walk since 1985!

Posted by: DoTheMath | April 10, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Brad K is right on with his assessment. Not only did Senator Obama work first hand with the poor in Chicago, he was only making $10,000 a year for that job, and so was poor himself. Not only that, but he grew up poor, with two grandparents and one mother all working to help raise him. Senators Clinton and McCain have never known a hungry day in their lives.
And if we are really going to look at who might know more about the economy, how can Clinton, who has been leaving a string of unpaid bills behind her as the campaigns progress from state to state. I wouldn't call her fiscally responsible, or even competent to run the country, look at what a bad job she has done of running her campaign. As for McCain, if what you want is ANOTHER four years of Bush, then go ahead a vote to him.

Posted by: Cathy Vance | April 10, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

How can Hillary manage the economy when she cannot even manage her campaign finances. She ignore her campaign debts. She should responsibly pay all her debts including the one from UC Davis.

Posted by: TT | April 10, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Obama's WAR strategy...

Wright
Ayres
Rezko

Posted by: WAR Strategy | April 10, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Obama 08 enuf of the clintonian regime

Posted by: carmen | April 10, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama's problem?

Tony Rezko's wife, family members and friends crowded behind him onto a courtroom bench. Spectators spilled into an overflow courtroom. Among them was a staffer from U.S. Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign, taking detailed notes.

Why?

Posted by: What The? | April 10, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

peter DC:
What a foolish argument you make. Fresh out of college with boundless opportunities before him and job offers on Wall Street, Barack Obama instead elected to spend 3 years of his life as a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago in a community devastated by the recent closing of a major steel mill. That was 3 years of knocking on doors, talking to laid-off steelworkers and their families in their back yards and over their kitchen tables, hearing about their struggles to make ends meet, to retrain and retool themselves for the difficult transition to other jobs while holding onto their homes and getting their kids through school and keeping their communities together. That gives him a much clearer, closer, more detailed, and more visceral understanding of the present-day struggles of laid-off steelworkers in Gary than anyone else in this presidential race, perhaps better than anyone who has ever run for president. Honestly, some of you Clintonites have become just such knee-jerk Obama-haters that you can't acknowledge even the most obvious facts if they beat you over the head.

Posted by: Brad K | April 10, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"Clinton can't personally fully understand that either but she doesn't claim to..."
----------------------------
The ad ends with a photo of Clinton working at her desk at night. "She UNDERSTANDS. She's worked the night shift, too."
----------------------------

Posted by: Gut Check | April 10, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"John McCain doesn't believe that writing checks with other people's money is the solution to every problem. . . ."

But sadly, he does believe it is the answer on how to fund a war you can't afford.

How hypocritical of the McCain people to suggest spending on our own country and spending on a useless war are somehow similar.

Posted by: jeffp | April 10, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Obama advance: 'Get me more white people'

From the account in Carnegie Mellon's paper, the Tartan, of a Michelle Obama event in Pittsburgh:

While the crowd was indeed diverse, some students at the event questioned the practices of Mrs. Obama's event coordinators, who handpicked the crowd sitting behind Mrs. Obama.

The Tartan's correspondents observed one event coordinator say to another, "Get me more white people, we need more white people." To an Asian girl sitting in the back row, one coordinator said, "We're moving you, sorry. It's going to look so pretty, though."

"I didn't know they would say, 'We need a white person here,'?" said attendee and senior psychology major Shayna Watson, who sat in the crowd behind Mrs. Obama. "I understood they would want a show of diversity, but to pick up people and to reseat them, I didn't know it would be so outright."

Posted by: maggieb | April 10, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Peter DC:

Pandering to the crowds? You do realize you are comparing Obama to the lady who will say anything depending on who is in front of her. Sista Soulja? Sniper fire? Nafta? A strong breeze could change her rhetoric.

Knows much less about the global economy? Last time I checked, we were a bit more worried about our own backyards. But maybe Clinton can enlighten us with her experiece from serving on the Board of Wal-Mart.

Anyone who thinks a community organizer or a president is supposed to solve anyone's problems is lazy in thought and action. We have to solve our problems. It's the organizer and the president's job to facilitate that effort. There are no "solutions". No laundry list of policies is going to solve America today because (a) we don't have a government that will agree to one laundry list (see Clinton's experience trying to pass health reform) and (b) policies don't changes hearts and minds.

Stop looking for easy answers.

Posted by: Patrick | April 10, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama's problem or should I say the Democrats problem if he is our nominee is what the reporter calls his newly minted speech.

That is part of the difference between him and Hillary Clinton. She doesn't need newly minted sheechs she understands the issues surrounding our economy and has proposed solutions all during the campaign. I hate to say Obama is pandering to the crown in Gary but that is what he is doing because these aren't the issues he is comfortable talking about and like McCain he knows much less about the international global economy than Clinton.

Telling the group how great he was as a community organizer is silly. He didn't solve anyone's economic problems when he was a community organizer in Chicago and so what is the relevance. He grew up basicly in Hawaii and went to one of the most elite schools in the nation. How did that prepare him to understand the issues of the steelworker in Gary. Clinton can't personally fully understand that either but she doesn't claim to as Obama does but rather claims to understand economics.

Posted by: peter DC | April 10, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse