Obama Has $42 Million in Bank; Clinton Has $8 Million

Updated 11:29 p.m.
By Matthew Mosk
Sen. Barack Obama's final push towards Tuesday's Pennsylvania primary is being fueled by a huge cash reserve, as the campaign's filings to the Federal Election Commission made clear Sunday night.

Obama entered April with $42.5 million available to spend on the Democratic primaries, the filing showed. Sen. Hillary Clinton had $8 million in available cash, her campaign officials said Sunday night.

Obama's report shows he collected $41.1 million in March, with all but $1 million of it available for use in the primary. The report largely confirmed what the Obama campaign had told reporters about March fundraising on April 3. Clinton has said she raised about $20 million during the same period.

Clinton spokesman Jay Carson said in a statement last night that her bank account saw a significant boost after March 31, past the time frame covered in the FEC report, fueled by "several low- and high-dollar 'Hillary Live' events throughout the country (including the Elton John concert ...), much of which will be reflected in the next filing."

By Post Editor  |  April 20, 2008; 10:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Makes 'Closing Argument' in Clinton Country
Next: McCain Launches Tour of 'Forgotten Places'

Comments

Obama has all the "theories" correct, - what does he have to show in practical solutions? In other words, what has he done as a US senator to show he is capable of running for president??? The last I checked Hillary has a pretty impressive senate record...

Posted by: Brad | April 30, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

My real concern is how is Obama going to fight terrorism if he has the backing of Hamaz. Also if America dropped Mitt Romney like a hot potato because he was a mormon, how is it that they would pick Obama whose father is Islamic, and all the paternal side of his family?

Posted by: Mimi | April 27, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

What I am worried about is that Obama is only doing this for himself - it is a personal victory for him. Nothing to do with helping the US which must be a foreign country to him because he spend his childhood most formative years in Islamic Indonesia!!

Posted by: Kim | April 24, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

What has Obama done to prove his words that he is going to "Change" the US and the world? His voting records show he is a liberal democrat, how is he going to integrate all people as he promises? Also with one foot in Kenya, he can never be truly patriotic to America. He is very cunning and a scam artist, because he is constantly throwing dirt on Hilary and McCain, but when one of them responds he immediately fights back saying they are playing "old politics"! He has to be very clever and the American public really stupid for this farce to go on. Unbelievable. Only in America, for sure!

Posted by: Casey | April 23, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

FOR GOD'S SAKE,HILLARY, SAVE OUR COUNTRY FROM INVADERS. WE ARE THE LAST MOHICANS.WE LOVE OUR COUNTRY.

Posted by: LISABONA | April 22, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I would like to answer to all of the Obama supporters,who thinks that, those who donated millions of dollars to the Obama camp,will not ask favors if he gets the nomination, and believe-me,no small favors.To the OLD 60 years LADY,you get old for nothing,I tought older and wiser.I think you have macula degeneration and can't see,his hypocrit arrogant face.You and all of you,who enjoyed Clintons eight (8) years of prosperity millions of job created,the pay-off the debt,also the prosperity of the middle class,should think first,before denigrating the Clintons. It's not new about people with no character that,they will bait the hand that feed them.All the black people,called Clinton, the "black president",until the really black one appeared " on strasse". They didn't care where he came from,who he is,but, because he is black,one of them,they acted in heard and vote.Why.they can't think that SOROS and the rest of millionairs,Obama supporters,they just want to assure,their personal interest.Don't think "one minut" they love Obama.Hillary is to strong to be manipulated by them,she lived in the WH,she knows all the turns in and out of the politics,she is not the right person for their interest, but Obama,the unexperienced,he is just what they want for their money. Don't forget the russian fablest (Lermontov). who wrote about the conference holded by leons,tigers,dobermans,down to the puddle.The doberman has the honor to speack about equality between the powerful to the helpless.After the conf.the smallest dog,thanked to the doberman speacker for his fair speech about equality.The doberman looked down,and said;" you are wrong,I want to be equal with Lions and not with small puddles". Keep in mind the doberman sayings,don't be stupid and believe Obama.His wife said she never was proud of her country,and the american people are mean.What other proof you want?

Posted by: Lisa/ Fl. | April 22, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

First I would like to agree with JIM,from the begining of Obama campaign,I ask the question many times,where Obamas money is comming from? their answer insulted my intelligents, and I stopped asking.I get my own answer,when I find out that Obama has double citizenship: One USA and the second ARAB-AFRICAN,citizen.Why in the world I should vote for an Arab/African citizen to be American president? He likes to play double,depends which will serve his interest. FOR RAJENCAJEN,myself and all Hillary supporters should be proud to take the "shameful status",and vote for McCain if the money maker mashine and his supporters will get the nomination. I'm a democrat,but not the stupid one.Why I should be loyal to a party who in silence decided the nex president? and who disinfanchised millions of voters from Florida and Michigan. I hope,together all Hillary supporters, WE will have the next laughter and our payback to DNC(H,Dean),Pelosi,and all Obama supporters.NO HILLARY,CROSS OVER TO McCAIN. At least,we ,the American people will choose American president, not one ARAB-AFRICAN,who should better give a helping hand to his cousin ODINGA,(schooled in Russia)in Kenya to established there Obamas father dream,the COMMUNIST GOVERNMENT in Kenya but not in America.

Posted by: LISA/FL. | April 22, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm an educated middle aged white female from small town PA. I am unemployed due to health reasons. Barack not only has the vote of young college students, but also the vote of people such as I. I met a 92 year old retired school teacher the other day and she spoke so well of Barack and what she saw in him - and so derogatory of the "likes of Hillary".

I don't inderstand how anyone can overlook Hillary purposely lying about her arrival in Bosnia (not once - but 5 times - with ever growing deep emotion each time), and also her emotional breakdown when questioned about juggling domestic duties and her campaign schedule. Immediately upon the next question, seconds after being "so emotional" concerning the welfare of our country, she was composed and upbeat - what a fake! We never did hear why she was 2 hours late for her scheduled appearance which is what I believe the question was hinting at. She fires her campaign staff left and right as if each failure is their fault - how egotistical.

I believe that Barack Obama's rise came as a surprise to not just others but to he himself - I could see it in his mannerism after his first sweep - he was a bit nervous - when I saw him speak several days later, he had the look of being in full command of his success - he had composed himself - took the bull by the horns,and had accepted that he was perhaps destined to be the next American President. Anyone whom has studied Ethics can see that Barack is an ethical person - he does not stoop to the philosophy of trying to make yourself look good by finding fault with others - as Hillary does - not only with Barack but also with her staff members.

Being from small town Pennsylvania, I can relate personally to his comments about PA. The only hope I have for my current financial situation, concerning my unemployment, rising cost of living, and absence of health care, is to pray to God for a miracle, which I do every night.

Barack has his finger on the pulse of small town USA not just small town PA.

God Bless Ameica and God Bless Barack Obama.

Pennsylvania citizens - I urge you to vote Barack Obama as the Democratic nominee for President of the USA

Posted by: Cyndee | April 22, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

blogger number one, I couldn't have said it better.

America and American foreign policy needs to change, Hillary is not the answer to any problem!
She represents everything about the states that needs to change to make your country great again.

Posted by: dave in aus | April 22, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

I want Obama to be our next President, because I want someone who can manage the coounty well just like he has been able to manage the campaign so far.

Posted by: SamBha | April 22, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

regarding cantabrigian's post @ 4:24pm...obama's "bundle" money totals approximately 16 million dollars...chump change to the big picture of his purse...clinton has been far more dependent on such methods of finance and she still can't get it together...take a peek at this... www.observer.com/2008/obama-bundlers-rejoice-their-decreasing-relevance - 55k -

Posted by: Anonymous | April 22, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

while clinton may have 8 million to spend, she has over 10 million dollars of debt...almost half of that due to penn...obama has 41 million available with only 663,000 dollars of debt carried...if this is any indication of how clinton will run the country, give me obama any day of the week...simply, of her "35 years of experience", none of it has been managerial...this confirms it...she is an absolute time bomb, coasting on her familiarity, political connections, all the while, thanking the stars above for the american peoples' short term memory on issues of her character.

Posted by: jazzgrrrl25 | April 22, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

For me, the choice is crystal clear: I will go for someone who has been able to manage the campaign so well. Someone who can run the campaign so well can run the White House even better!

Posted by: SamBha | April 22, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Pennsylvania will decide nothing. With or without it two things will happen: 1). Hillary will not stop helping McCain, and 2). Obama will be the Democratic party nominee.

I would not want to be a piece of china when Hillary gets "the talk". It's all over but the cryin' for Hillary's goose steppers.

Posted by: gmundenat | April 21, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Here is something else VERY important that everyone is missing. Obama can NEVER be truly patriotic to this country. He has one foot here and one in Kenya, how can ever be patriotic? He can be a good world leader, may be, unifying the world, but the leader of a country should be passionate and be ready to die for his home - will Obama die for the US - never!!

Posted by: Mark | April 21, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey pop, are you a doctor, if not, than how do you know she has bi-polar........such dumb talking people\\i think she's done a great job on what little money she had on this campaign ,unlike someone who has loads to spend and has spent to buy his way into our house

Posted by: kasco03 | April 21, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Since Black and Bitter began the confessional..."Hi, I'm a Black middle-aged Republican who voted twice for Bush 2 But it's Obama this time around."

To my mind there is a common thread to this seemingly contradictory voting pattern: a long-overdue rejection of race-based politics and public policy. For at least the past two generations, old school race politics has prevented America, and Black folks in particular, from moving into a new paradigm where critical socio-economic issues can be honestly addressed.

I never thought that in my lifetime I would see a post-racial candidate with a real chance to win. That is why my family has contributed several hundred dollars to Obama and will do so again. That, and the fact that he honors us all, first and foremost, as unique and free individuals not primarily defined by race, gender, or class.

Posted by: Charles | April 21, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Why shouldn't Obama out spend Hillary? I'be been hearing Wolfson and other supporters complaining or(whining) about being out spent 3to1. I'm sure that if Hillary was as smart as Barack she would be able to manage her campaign too. This is the way she will manage the White House with her bipolar mood swings.

Posted by: pop | April 21, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, folks, have you ever heard about the Obama "Bundlers?" Well read the Washington Post Staff Story of 4/11/08. GOOGLE it.

"Big Donors Among Obama's Grass Roots
'Bundlers' Have a Voice in Campaign,"
By Matthew Mosk and Alec MacGillis
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, April 11, 2008; A01

Posted by: Cantabrigian | April 21, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Have you FORGOTTEN (?!) to report that HILLARY has about $ 10 M unpaid debt and therefore is already technically broken ??

caminito

Posted by: CAMINITO | April 21, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The following was posted on Politico.com today:

"A pair of Ohio companies owed more than $25,000 by Clinton for staging events for her campaign are warning others in the tight-knit event production community -- and anyone else who will listen -- to get their cash upfront when doing business with her. Her campaign, say representatives of the two companies, has stopped returning phone calls and e-mails seeking payment of outstanding invoices. One even got no response from a certified letter."

The only way Hillary's campaign is staying afloat is by stiffing her vendors.

Also, do we want to elect a person who is such a poor manager (and who hires such poor managers) to run our country???

Posted by: Mike in Blairsville, GA | April 21, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Bod Allen for your comments. I am a middle class white female and I truly appreciate your comment about those of us with brains. I am so sick and tired of these petty, insignificant issues, like the flag pin! We support Obama because we think about these issues and do not vote against our economic well being (unlike some.....) I get the feeling that PA may come through for Obama because they ARE THINKING!

Posted by: Claudia, Tucson, AZ | April 21, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

The picture regarding the national anthem came from the Harkin Steak Fry in Iowa and was not the pledge of allegiance. You only have to go to any sports event to note that most people do not put there hand over their heart during the Star Spangled Banner. The picture was taken out of context and another lie spread about Obama.I noticed that Hillary and her two helpers at the last debate (Goerge and Chuck) didn't have flag pins on and nary a mention was made. The Constitution is much more important than the flag for without rights and a government that respects those rights the flag is meaningless. It has all too often been used as a symbol of hate and exclusion by the Klan and American Nazis and as with religion in some instances, the first and last refuge of all too many hypocritical scoundrels.

Posted by: ejgallagher1 | April 21, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I would like to urge the voters in PA (my state) to research everything themselves. View all of what is said or alleged. See and hear the before and after of the media clips. Found out if there is solid evidence of contradictions. Please make an educated choice. When you have done this, THEN VOTE!
Both my husband and I, middle class, white, suburban voters over 50 are supporting Obama in the PA primary. We believe the money issue is simply a relectiion of the support of ordinary people like ourselves because we want a voice.

Posted by: Evelyn | April 21, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

English Teacher, I get the feeling that you know the answer to your own question. But the broader significance is that, as you know by grading sometimes on the "curve", most Americans fall in either the "average" or "below average" intelligence categories. I was more interested in math than English when I was in school, and I like to call democracy "rule by the lowest common denominator". Unfortunately, all this means that we rarely end up with leaders who have appealed to intelligent and thoughtful citizens. Most people vote in favor of their prejudices and misconceptions.
I truly believe that we are in an incredible window of opportunity in this country. Because of Bush's complete mismanagement of his administration, we may just end up with a president who is far more intelligent than anyone we have seen in my lifetime.

Posted by: Arjuna9 | April 21, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

MY FELLOW "BITTER", STUPID, WORKING CLASS PEOPLE :-)

If you think like Barack Obama, that WORKING CLASS PEOPLE are just a bunch of "BITTER"!, STUPID, PEASANTS, Cash COWS!, and CANNON FODDER. :-(

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary's than they had ever been before or since.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. :-)

Best regards

jacksmith... Working Class :-)

p.s. You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you don't know that the huge amounts of money funding the Obama campaign to try and defeat Hillary Clinton is coming in from the insurance, and medical industry, that has been ripping you off, and killing you and your children. And denying you, and your loved ones the life saving medical care you needed. All just so they can make more huge immoral profits for them-selves off of your suffering...

You see, back in 1993 Hillary Clinton had the audacity, and nerve to try and get quality, affordable universal health care for everyone to prevent the suffering and needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of you each year. :-)

Approx. 100,000 of you die each year from medical accidents from a rush to profit by the insurance, and medical industry. Another 120,000 of you die each year from treatable illness that people in other developed countries don't die from. And I could go on, and on...

Posted by: jacksmith | April 21, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please explain to me why nearly every argument against Obama is rife with poor grammar, mispellings and logical errors, while those supporting him are generally well written, logical and grammatically correct?

Posted by: English Teacher | April 21, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"Men plunder. Men rape. Men murder. Rise Hillary, rise!
Clinton '08

Posted by: Sisters for Hillary "

***********************************
My Gosh, Sisters, take it easy. Some of us really aren't all that bad when you get to know us.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Men plunder. Men rape. Men murder. Rise Hillary, rise!
Clinton '08

Posted by: Sisters for Hillary | April 21, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Jeff: "A president who will not wear a flag pin, or lay his hand on his heart when the national anthem is sung is a potential traitor!"

One might look at it that way, sure. Can't imagine why a traitor would be engaging in a career of public service though. :) Also, 36 USC Sec. 301 does not say "must" anywhere to my knowledge. It's worth noting that *none* of those in the picture were following the U.S. Code, with their backs to the-a flag.

One might also acknowledge that standing respectfully with ones hands folded is light years better than putting the flag on just about anything, including posters, jewelry, clothing/apparel of all kinds, and even bumper stickers, all which I find appalling.

The pin came to represent support of (the folly of) the war. Nothing wrong with deciding not to wear one (which, again, some would find atrocious anyway).

Posted by: Fallen1 | April 21, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"I am also a former GOPer who voted for Dubya twice (yeah I know, shame on me)."

Fool me once, shame, er, shame on you, fool me, uumm, cant get fooled again...

Well, better late than never anyway, unless of course you're dead or disabled because of the Iraq war... then never is just as good as late!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, I know one thing for sure - the GOP neo-cons are definitely supporting Hillary for the Democratic candidate.

Posted by: DFinFL | April 21, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Arjuna9, thank you for your warm welcome back to the Democratic fold!

Posted by: Black and Bitter like Coffee | April 21, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY WE HAVE SUCH A PERFECT PUBLIC DISPLAY OF TRUTH ABOUT THIS VERY MISGUIDED WOMAN HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON. I WILL BE HORRIFIED @ 3AM WONDERING HOW SHE'LL MISMANAGE ANY CALL. VERY SCARY THOUGHT! GOD HELP US IF SHE DOES!

Posted by: GINA, OHIO | April 21, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: End the Dynasties | April 21, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

God Bless you, Black and Bitter like Coffee.
Welcome Back.

Posted by: Arjuna9 | April 21, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I am a forty-six yo married African-American man with an advanced degree who has a tween son. My wife and I spend time and money supporting Obama. I am also a former GOPer who voted for Dubya twice (yeah I know, shame on me). As such I know GOP politics, and Hillary is truly GOP with a Dem label. You Dems can vote your party or vote for Hillary if you want the GOP. We're backing and voting for Obama!

Posted by: Black and Bitter like Coffee | April 21, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"It's a tie between Obama and Hillary"

It is not a tie. You are just as delusional as she is. We are tired of delusional and deceptive people running this country.

Posted by: Arjuna9 | April 21, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

All you folks complaining about Chinese money going to HRC should read the article from yesterday concerning the FACT that all 3 candidates have been receiving funds from China. The one receiving the most? Barack Obama.

"Does this mean that you approve of, even are yourself an adulterer, and have no respect for or do not believe in the Bible?"

Ask yourself this. Is the United States of America a country which was founded in part to allow freedom of religion or lack thereof? What your particular beliefs are mean nothing to anyone other than yourself.

DO NOT PORTEND TO SPEAK FOR AMERICA AS IN WE WANT.....blah, blah, blah.

You have no idea want Americans want. Do you think the American Indians would agree with your statement? Do you think the Jews would agree with your "my bible only" declarations?

"3. Your daughter works for a hedgefund company on Wall Steet. Are you therefore a candidate for a hedgefund front and will take Wall Street over Main Street and over blue-collar workers? Why have you not denounced and rejected your daughter, Chelsea?"

This statement is laughable. Anyone out there who has kids in their 20's knows that they have little or no input into what their children do. The best you can hope for is that they are decent, respectful people who remain your friends for life and tolerate the equal right of others to make a CHOICE as to what is correct for them.

"law-school degree put to the service of union-busting Wal-Mart. "

You shouldn't talk about Michelle like that. Research "Learning Tree"

Judging by your statements about the Bible I would say you have not read that book. If you had you would remember things like "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone", etc. It must be wonderful knowing that you do have to wait to go to heaven since you are already so pure. Right.

Speak for yourself. Insulting and trying to bludgeon people into your way of thinking is never going to accomplish anything other than to vent your obvious hatred. It is clear that you are unhappy with life itself.

A true feminist would demand EQUAL treatment for women. You do not. You act as though somehow jumping on board the womens rights train made you a feminist. It does not. A feminist is pro choice and I would wager to say that is way far away from your thoughts. Remember that I said PRO CHOICE not in favor of abortion. Any true American would be in favor of anyones right to choice and self determination. You would say that others are not good enough or intelligent enough to make their own decisions in life without your approval. You, as is the case with many supporters of any candidate that refuse to even consider that someone else has the right to feel differently, do not reflect the freedom that is America. This is nothing more than a radical religionists statement from a Bible holder. No different than those who would destroy the Mosque to get THEIR way.

Posted by: RetCombatVet | April 21, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

sisters for Hillary, yeah. Hillary is rising alright. Rising in debt, rising in lies, rising in unpopularity. OBAMA '08!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Men are vile pigs! Rise, Hillary rise!
Clinton '08.

Posted by: Sisters for Hillary | April 21, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

My wife & I are white, highly educated, middle class (well, maybe upper middle-class) progressives. We each give Obama $50 or $100 a month. We won't max out because we've got other financial priorities like paying our mortgage, taxes, and utility bills and saving for our kids' college education. But like nearly 1.5 million Americans, we think a modest investment in a dynamic political leader who is leading a profoundly transformative political movement---inter alia, by breaking the stranglehold of special interest money on American politics through millions of small contributions like ours---is a sound investment in our nation's future. Hillary Clinton with her special interest backers, lobbyist "bundlers," and maxed-out fat cat contributors represents the politics of yesterday. Barack Obama with his grassroots/netroots army of small contributors and campaign volunteers is the politics of tomorrow. And guess who's winning the money race, along with the delegate race and the popular vote race?

Posted by: Brad K | April 21, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It's a tie between Obama and Hillary

Florida and Michigan have to be penciled in somehow.

The caucus states need an adjustment of about 80 delegates too - those results are just not representative and uuu not really democratic to use a word that fits.

I'm not really sure where the superdelegates go from here.

Another sticking point is that there appears to be 70 - 100 Superdelegates who do not want to make a decision. This is actually holding Obama back as well. The democratic party is broken and a complete disaster - they have sold out the country with their trade deals and lobbyists - and this is the mess that is left.

Posted by: Hello | April 21, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

One bloger stated that Clinton supporters will vote McCain if Obama is the nominee and said it was shameful....I for one am proud of my shameful status. It would be even more shameful to have an Obama President.If Clinton dosen't get the nomination,Clinton supporters will put McCain in the White House

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With most Clinton supporters being older females, many of whom are mothers, grandmothers, and wives; how smart and selfish is it for you to vote to send your children, grandchildren and husbands into an endless and needless war in Iraq?

Posted by: End the Dynasties | April 21, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"All that money and still no yet no significant results. You can´t buy voters and if you do it´s not democracy. True democracy is when every single citizen have bee able to vote. Florida and Michigan have to be counted.
Posted by: | April 21, 2008 9:02 AM"

Please explain your definition of results... I think cutting a 20+ point lead to less than 5 are some pretty telling results! You are right... everyone should be allowed to vote AND every candidate should be on the ballot and be able to campaign. But just voting without a fair process is not denocracy... just ask the Pakistanis... they all got to vote but they still got Musharref... you really think 90% voted for him?

Posted by: No Results?? | April 21, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I used to wonder where all Obama's money was coming from. That's before I found that Obama has two citizenships--U.S. and joint citizenship with Kenya. In Kenya he is listed as "Arab-African" citizen. The light dawned. Who would want to see an Arab in charge of our government? Many people. Zogby (of Zogby Polls,for one), some folks in the oil business, some attornies, many with billions!

Posted by: zaney8 | April 21, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"How much of those funds are from Oprah..."

All donors are limited to $2300 in direct contributions to a primary campaign. I think Oprah could afford that.
And that lady has millions of followers!

Posted by: Arjuna9 | April 21, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Bashing the Great State of Texas rolls off a Texans back like water. Pure jealousy is how its viewed around here.
Any-hoo I have never voted Republican and never in my life, never thought I would see the day where it was a possibility.
You O-Bots have trashed my candidate unmercifully for months on end but can't take it once the stink is thrown back on you.
You are starting to falter and get wobbly because a strong female candidate won't back down and stand aside for your Chosen One. Enjoy your restless/sleepless night tomorrow.

Posted by: Nancy in Dallas TX | April 21, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I like the comment "Clinton is working hard not towards electing herself but electing McCain."
So why do you think Rush Limbaugh has been encouraging people to support her? Birds of a feather.

Posted by: Arjuna9 | April 21, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Jim,

I'm a 41 year old white male former Marine. My wife has Masters in International Security from Georgetown University and is currently employed there as an Assistant Director in the School for Foreign Service... We donated to Obama! Jacka$$!

Posted by: Brian | April 21, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice that John McCain was interviewed yesterday on ABC and he DID NOT wear a flag pin.

Oh my

Posted by: George | April 21, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

How much of those funds are from Oprah and others? Clinton is not tapped out. There are millions of us out there supporting her financially every day and will continue to do so.....

Posted by: lamm01 | April 21, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rajencajen | April 21, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

So we know that Obama raised $41M in March, $40M of it for the primaries. We also know that Clinton raised $20M, but how much of it was for the primaries? I thought I had read -- although I can not recall whether it was in reference to February or March contributions -- that Clinton had asked her tapped-out primary contributors to give for the general election. That way, her fund-raising deficit would not look quite as bad, as long as the media compliantly refused to press her on how much of that money was actually available for the primaries.

Posted by: lydgate | April 21, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Nancy in TX seems to take some joy in thinking she is "winding up" Obama supporters with her childish ramblings. Well this Democrat is not wound up, just sick of kitchen sink, ego-driven politics, Clinton style.
Napperfat is right. Clinton is working hard not towards electing herself but electing McCain.
BTW, thanks for the gift of your former governor as well as the bug man, Delay. Texans seem to revel in hoisting these charlatans on the American public.

Posted by: elmerg | April 21, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I realize that the reporters don't write the headlines, but this one leaves the reader with the especially false impression that the numbers are current, rather than three weeks old. The article gives us no indication of how much either campaign may have raised or spent in the meantime, and is based only on information from the Obama filing, leaving out any new information on Clinton, such as has she made any new loans to her campaign or is much of her previous take in the form of general election-only funds. This article is worse than no article at all. Write again when you have some real numbers, Matthew.

Posted by: Stonecreek | April 21, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

"Sue Wrote: Does anyone know he raised his wife's salary THREE fold his first term as Ilinois senator??"

Yeah? She is Vice President for Community and External Affairs for the University of Chicago Hospitals, and he is a US Senator. I didn't realize the people of Illinois were now electing Senators to run their hospitals. Explain exactly how HE raised her salary?

Posted by: BD | April 21, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama Supporters, enjoy your canidate now......He'll lose the general by double digits......

Posted by: RD | April 21, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

gbooksdc- I thought the same thing. Hmm.

Posted by: goatsage | April 21, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

One poster who didn't give a name said:

"You got it wrong there. Most Clinton supporters like me have fundamentally turned into Republicans."

*****************************************
Well, so has Hillary!

Posted by: Arjuna9 | April 21, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I am a 20 year old black girl who has only donated $50 to Senator Clinton because I only just switched from Obama to her. Anything I can save I will give to her.
__________________________________________

I call BS. No self-respecting 20-year old black female would call herself a "girl". But then, no self-respecting black person would donate money to the multi-millionaire HRC.

Posted by: gbooksdc | April 21, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! You really wounded me napperfat...
Gotta hand it to you, your only following your Chosen One "words do have meaning"...unless you want the voters to forget some of thos "Misspoken Words".
Hee-hee, love to windup an O-bot on a beautiful Monday morning..

Posted by: Nancy in Dallas TX | April 21, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

This just in:

Obama is creating the backdrop for his November aspirations. 10 white people, 4 brown people, 2 black people, 6 green people, 5 purple people, 8 yellow people and 55 million dumb people required.

Posted by: 55 million dumb people required | April 21, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

From reading a variety of blogs around the net I am getting the sense most Obama supporters will support the Dem on the general no matter who is the nominee. On the other hand, many Clinton supporters seem willing to hand the election to the Republicans just to spite Obama and his supporters.

Posted by: elmerg | April 21, 2008 11:56 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You got it wrong there. Most Clinton supporters like me have fundamentally turned into Republicans. No voting for Democrats ever. Goodbye to all that.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

New slogan of Obama campaign:

BITTERNESS WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Shameful.

Posted by: elmerg | April 21, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Obama's money comes mostly from small donors, like myself. I am a 60 year old white guy on the west coast who has only sent $150 so far. I can afford more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice if Huma Abedin is listed as one who gave money to Hillary's campaign.

Posted by: Huma Huma | April 21, 2008 7:55 AM
__________________________________________

she just donated liquor

Posted by: tee hee | April 21, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

...SO THAT SHE HAS FACTUALLY RUN OUT OF MONEY.

Posted by: TOM WITTMANN | April 21, 2008 11:22 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THAT MAY BE. BUT SNOBAMA HAS RUN OUT OF VOTERS IN GENERAL ELECTION IF HE GETS THERE. CLINTON OR MCCAIN!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

The money is not to "buy the election" as some have suggested. It is to use the media to introduce Obama to an American public who votes the same way they buy stuff .... primarily on name recognition. The Clinton name is what Hillary is selling, that's why she didn't divorce the philandering liar.

With all the lies and distortions that are circulating ( He's a muslim, he won't salute the flag, he is a racist, he is a slum landlord, and all the rest of the bull crap ) it is vital to get the truth out to people.

I am extremely impressed that this young man has run an extremely effective campaign that has taken on and is defeating the entrenched and wealthy power brokers of our day. Damn, that's impressive.

Posted by: Arjuna9 | April 21, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Nice comeback, Nancy. You display all the political acumen of my eight year old daughter.
You will be crying in January if John McBush is inaugurated because your gal took the Dem party down with her.
Are you one of those "flag pin" Texans as well?

Posted by: napperfat | April 21, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Electoral politics is a form of war without bullets. Partisan supporters of each candidate feelings are sometimes hurt in the process but it beats the hell out of actually shooting live munitions at each other. I very much like both of these Democrats running and intend to vote for whoever gets the nomination. The fact that the Obama campaign is sitting on a huge wad of unspent money and he has yet to convincingly beat the Clinton campaign is a cause of concern. There is no reason in my view to hoard ammunition (money) when you are in battle if there is a to lose this contest. I know form my friends in Pennsylvania that Obama has significantly out spent Clinton on the ground there but he has not closed the gap. He could have spent much more. It may be a serious strategic blunder and anecdotally from polling results it looks like Obama obviously hasn't spent enough. Howard Dean in 04 had collected record amounts of lucre until the wheels of his campaign came off literally over an overzealous cheer of his flogged endlessly by the MSM. Then the money dried up and he had to quit a very short time later. The Clinton team is very experienced and knows that this is a very long election cycle and each day is a dangerous time for Obama as it is for them. As likeable as Obama is he has finally started to bleed and his negatives are creeping up close to Clinton's. Much of it based on side issues of personal associations a lose personal lip and a poor performance in the Pennsylvania debate. His numbers in all the tracking polls I have seen are starting to move and are now breaking in a significant downward direction while Clinton's are beginning to go up. Gallup now has her ahead of Obama for the nomination and McCain in the general election which surprises me as this movement has been rapid. A weak is a lifetime in electoral politics. My view is good luck to both candidates and thanks to both of them for having the guts and motivation to run. Both have the potential to do a great job for the country as President.

Posted by: Redman | April 21, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Looking more closely at Clinton's numbers, how can she possibly continue with this race? She touts $32 million cash on hand, but almost all of that is restricted for the general election, which means she only has $8 or $9 million that can be spend now. With $10 million in debts piled up (and probably more with advertising buys in Pennsylvania), her campaign is only surviving on the good graces of her creditors.

The fact, too, that most of her money is for the general election rather than the primaries suggests that a lot of her donors are tapped to the max, and trying to establish new donors now is tough. Who wants to donate to a failing campaign?

I'm expecting next month's filing to report more personal loans from Clinton to help cover bills because there is no way that she is keeping up in this race with her debts amounting to more than the money that she has on hand.

Posted by: blert | April 21, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Clinton has an outstanding debt of 10.3 million. She is in the hole and doesn't have the money to pay her bills.

Posted by: Brendan | April 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Hillary should try crying again.

Posted by: FilmMD | April 21, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Waa Waa Waa.....and stomp your foot!
That will make him a Winner.
The only way to make him look good is to tear her down. Kettle meet napperfat.

Posted by: Nancy in Dallas TX | April 21, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Hillary,

Better get ready to loan your campaign another 5 million.

Posted by: Donald | April 21, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Nancy in Dallas sez:
"Why all the fear about Hillary?"
-How about the fact her negatives are so high she doesn't stand a chance against John McBush in the general? Four more years of neo-con rule anyone?

"If your Chosen One has the most money, the most fervent crowds, how come he can't close the deal? "

-Because Rodham-Clinton has decided to use the Karl Rove playbook in her pursuit of revenge for for husband's failings.

Florida and Michigan blew it, they refused to play by the rules and the voters are paying the penalty. This is not Obama's fault.

Clinton may win PA by 5-6% at most be statistically she cannot win the primary. She is still in it for her own vanity, period.

Posted by: napperfat | April 21, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Why all the fear about Hillary?
Oh I know, this IS a Democracy and we DO profess to count every vote.... Florida and Michigan have to be counted.
Hillary will win PA tomorrow by 11%.

Posted by: Nancy in Dallas TX | April 21, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

lyn - Nice start to the thread with a nasty, personal post. I'm sure there was plenty of denouncing going on behind closed doors. Anything else is NONE of your business. And going after the daughter b/c she works on Wall Street? Classy.

BB

Posted by: Fairlington Blade | April 21, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

And Clinton owes 10 million so she is in debt. How is that going to convince the superdelegates? The old folks may vote for her, but they don't donate to her. She will have to pledge to spend her own money I guess.

Posted by: Len | April 21, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

YOU "FORGOT" TO MENTION THAT HILLARY HAS A DEBT OF $ 9,000,000 (OBAMA HAS LESS THAN $ 1,000,000), SO THAT SHE HAS FACTUALLY RUN OUT OF MONEY.

BUT OF COURSE, ABC HAS NOT A 'PRO-HILLARY BIAS!!

TOM

Posted by: TOM WITTMANN | April 21, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Here's an article that says that HilLIARy is 10 million in debt.

Posted by: End the Dynasties | April 21, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Who has ever seen Hillary wearing a flag pin?? Johm McCain ?? Colin Powell ?? John Abizaid ?? Neither George or the other dope were wearing flag pins. where are flag pins made ?? China ??

Maybe some folks just think that they can show their love of country by working hard, paying their taxes, supporting their kids and community and serving in the military.

Posted by: Screw Flag Pins | April 21, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

H. Clinton reminds me of a girl I once dated. She was shrill and manipulative and I when I finally got the nerve to call things off she ran around with a big smile on her face telling all my friends what an awful man I was.

Posted by: elmerg | April 21, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This news about the fund-raising efforts of the Obama campaign is phenomenal! Like many others I am a middle aged woman of middling income. I give at least 25 dollars every two weeks to Obama and will continue to do so until November. This is grass-roots public financing at its best, a unique political campaign powered by the brains and hearts of the people.

Barack Obama is not bought nor paid for, except by the American people.

Posted by: dee | April 21, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Please update this post to reflect the $10 million in DEBT the Clinton campaign has posted. She is in the red, "as far as I know." If she's raised big $ in April, then show us the money.

She's toast--but she's hoodwinking the media into believing she's still viable. Time for some journalism to report on the reality of the $ situation in each campaign!

Posted by: Ruth | April 21, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

WELL' BIG DEAL HE WHEN HE PAYES
[OPRAH] BACK HER $30,000,000 HE WANT
HAVE'S SO MUCH''

Posted by: rugman | April 21, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

P Diddy,

Obama has already used a lot of the 50 million he had on hand at the start of the month with advertising buys in Pennsylvania, Indiana, and North Carolina. That said, he still has a lot more money on hand than Clinton does, and will continue to outstrip her campaign in raising money.

Obama will be able to use this money up until the convention--he (as other candidates) has already rejected federal funding for the primary. After the convention, he has the choice of rejecting or accepting federal money for the general election. He has promised to take federal funds, but lately hedged on the matter, so it's not clear what he will do. Given the amounts he is raising, it would seem insane to give into the federal spending limits, although rejecting the funds would also give McCain an easy weapon with which to bludgeon Obama.

Regardless, the money that Obama has now he is free to spend as he sees fit up until the nominating convention. The federal funding for the general election, if accepted, only kicks in once a person is formally nominated, so Obama has months left to spend all the cash that he has.

Posted by: blert | April 21, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Obama can't buy the democratic nomination. In fact, the Gallup Poll shows that in the last week, Clinton has eroded his 11 point lead to a 2 point lead, despite all the money he has spent. With the kind of money Obama has been spending, he should be doing much better. But he isn't.

Posted by: Scranton | April 21, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

jim richmond's comment about where Obama's money is coming from concerns me. because the guy look different from you, you automaticlly assumes his money is some-how coming from Hamaas, and Blacks and college kids cant give. Well I am Black, and a Independent voter, and has given 25.00 every 2 weeks. It seems you and people like you in this electorial cycle,are going out of your way to find something negitive against Mr. Obama.
what is unpatriotic about a guy running for president? You got something against him because he didnt wear a flag lapel pin?
I dont remember seeing Hillary nor McCain wearing one recently. Ask Hillary about the money she recieves from a Chinese Lobbist, or the over 30 REGISTERED LOBBIST thats on the McCain Team.
Ask Hillary or McCain aobut their Patriotism. Obama is for ALL Americans, thats patriotism from the HEART!
I am voting for the candidate that is trying to bring the country back together, to end the war, to staighten out the economy. That sounds like Barack Obama.

Posted by: Eddie boyd | April 21, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

If Clinton had not wasted a hundred million in the early days of her campaign, she would have no problem. But her strategy was to blow it all for an early win, and she had no plans at all for later.

Posted by: bodo | April 21, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Not only is the Clinton campaign financially bankrupt, her and Bill are morally and ethically bankrupt. They don't have to ride on the edge of legal, moral and ethical,they just do , frequently falling over the edge. Then they lie to get out of it. It is akin to the reason a lot of people shoplift. They don't need what they steal. They just get a thrill out of seeing what they can get away with before they get caught. They are sick. I want to see them out of politics.

Posted by: LetthemdrinkCrownRoyal | April 21, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Money is what makes the world go round. Obama wins the award for the best managed campaign and money raising effort this year. He seems likely to bring to the White House the active support of the millions who have invested in him this election, and to use the people power to help him accomplish his goals of bringing change to Washington.

Posted by: nclwtk | April 21, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Now we see why Hillary had a JOHN ELTON concert! However, what this ticker fails to mention which is more important the overall campaign finance balance.

Most pundits are focused on what Obama spent in ads versus Hillary. Hillary's whining about being overspent is a deception. Hillary's campaign was in debt at the beginning of April. Hillary had 8$ million cash-on-hand but had $10 million in debt.

If Hillary ran the country like she does her campaign, America would be in a depression.

Obama in 08!

Posted by: AJ | April 21, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I meant "pledging allegiance to the United States."

Posted by: edwcorey | April 21, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jeff

Maybe you're being facetious, but if not, when did flag pins become de rigueur? Since the Chinese started making them? As far as hand to heart, that is only "required" when pledging allegiance to the flag--which is asinine in and of itself, because our allegiance should be to the Constitution. And where was your flag made? Your so-called patriotism reminds me of those folks who fly their flag day in, day out, even in the rain--which is totally improper and disrespectful. If you're not being facetious, why not go out and learn what the f--- you're talking about?

Posted by: edwcorey | April 21, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Who do you predict will win the Pennsylvania Democratic Presidential Primary?

Posted by: Frank, Austin TX | April 21, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

All that money and yet no significant results. You can´t buy voters and if you do it´s not democracy. True democracy is when every single citizen have been able to vote. Florida and Michigan have to be counted.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

All that money and yet no significant results. You can´t buy voters and if you do it´s not democracy. True democracy is when every single citizen have bee able to vote. Florida and Michigan have to be counted.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, like Obama isn't really well known at this point. PLEASE. No sour grapes, just surprise that given all that money his supporters still think he's not well known. Just how many millions will it take?
Better be careful, in his case being too well known might be a disadvantage. I guess spending all that money to keep up the facade of Hope can be exhausting.

Posted by: BLeone | April 21, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I am glad that America is leading the rest of the world by allowing 'a rookie' in washington terms but experienced in terms of the 'real world' and legislative matters to run for presidency.
As a rookie, Mr Obama has broken many records already, in mordern American political history i.e creating a movement, strategic thinking,grand and inspiring oratory,innovative campagning, brignin in new democrats and young people, FAT bank balance etc.
Most of American political heavy weights made a mistake; they did not see obama coming and they underestimated him and the American people. The right wing media, like Fox news, that represent the propaganda mouth piece for the GOP & others like them have been left flappping.
He has run an excellent campaign, though not perfect, and raised the MOST money to date in American political history! that is amazing for a ROOKIE!
I truely hope that YOU, the American people will ALLOW a rare talent to emerge as the LEADER of the free world so that MANY of the age old American problems that has defied solutions over the decades,can begin to have some kind of solutions and also the WHOLE world can benefit from a rare talent bred by the USA. God bless America.
Milton keynes, United Kingdom

Posted by: akin | April 21, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

GOT HOPE ?

"Clinton Draws Small Crowd In State College

POSTED: 10:42 pm EDT April 20, 2008
UPDATED: 11:48 pm EDT April 20, 2008

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Sen. Hillary Clinton made her way to Penn State University Sunday night, with Gov. Ed Rendell and Rep. John Murtha at her side.

Hundreds of Clinton supporters huddled together under a sea of umbrellas outside Rec Hall. And it was perhaps the dreary weather that kept the bigger crowds at home. While Sen. Barack Obama drew 22,000 supporters on campus just weeks before, Clinton rallied with only about 1,000. In fact, her husband drew a larger crowd.."

Posted by: BB | April 21, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

GOT HOPE?

" Supporters say that winning more votes than Obama, plus her primary victories in populous states such as California and Ohio, would prove she'd be the stronger candidate against Republican John McCain in the November election.

``Popular vote matters,'' says Steve Grossman, a marketing executive and one of Clinton's top fundraisers. ``If there is an opportunity for her to pick up enough popular votes, that is a powerful calling card to the superdelegates to say the will of the people is a split decision.''

To earn that split decision, though, Clinton would need a 25-point victory in Pennsylvania, plus 20-point wins in later contests in West Virginia, Kentucky and Puerto Rico. Even that scenario assumes Clinton, 60, would break even in Indiana, North Carolina, South Dakota, Montana and Oregon -- a prospect that's not at all certain.

Record Turnout

More than just big margins, Clinton would need record voter turnout too. In Pennsylvania, she would need a turnout of 2 million, about half the state's registered Democrats; in the 2004 primary, about 800,000 voted. She would also need turnout to almost double in other states where she leads, and reach some 1 million in Puerto Rico, which is about how many Democratic- leaning voters went to the polls in a 2004 gubernatorial election. The territory, known for its high turnout, didn't have a presidential primary that year. "

Posted by: BB | April 21, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Huma Huma | April 21, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Poor Hillary

Posted by: mike | April 21, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

CLINTON: DOING IT FOR THE MONEY !

RE: "Her problem will be the need to return a significant amount of money to supporters who have more than maxed out for primaries and then given advanced funds for the general that has already been spent.

One must wonder if that is at least part of the reason for her dogged determination to hang on when there is no reasonable way she can win"

HAS CLINTON HAS BEEN BORROWING FROM HER "general election fund"?

...and is staying in the primaries to raise enough money to pay back those funds?(as is required by law)

Posted by: $$$$ | April 21, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

CLINTON: RUNNING ON EMPTY?

note: Clinton hasn't officially filed?
(why?)

...what will Clinton's "ABOUT 20 MILLION" actually ends up being....(16 million?)

note:

the Clinton-camp is already saying that there is significant increase AFTER March 31st?

already getting their lies/excuse ready?

ONE AND ONE HALF MILLION (1,500,000) donors giving small amounts to OBAMA

Posted by: $$$$ | April 21, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

It is obvious that she underestimated Sen Obama. They forgot what he did in 1993 in Illinois with Project Vote! She should have seen all of Sen Obama's successes coming, but could not for arrogance, and her own sense of entitlement.

It is also interesting that no one is reporting the pardoning of the 11 FALN Terrorist that Bill pardoned who not only "set bombs" but killed and maimed americans on US soil and yes " In her State of New York." They never even applied for pardons, and were in federal prisons serving 30-105 year sentences. Some believe that it was done to gain the Puerto Rican vote for her New York Run.

Interesting isn't it?

Posted by: Katy in Michigan | April 21, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Sue, above, it's kinda hard to raise your wife's salary by voting in their Senate when she's not an employee of the State of Illinois. The garbage out there is amazing as are those who propagate it.

How about the $5 million loan? Agree with those above who state Clinton's campaign says the same thing every month. It's clear that no matter what the result tomorrow in PA, Obama can pour significant amounts of cash into Indiana, North Carolina and beyond plus the media markets are much less expensive than Philly.

Penn, Wolfson and both Clintons goofed. They grossly overestimated the number of "fat cats" out there who would open their checkbooks. Now they're forced, as example, to bring out Rob Reiner, who a generation of Americans hasn't a clue about, to try to get votes. Pathetic for a "world class" genius.

Posted by: Say Goodnight Hillary | April 21, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Wow BLeone, thems some sour grapes.

Considering that Hillary is known to almost every man woman and child in the country and she still can't win, it isn't surprising that Obama still has to spend a bunch to get his name out there.

By the way, there is a program that the campaign has had in effect since Iowa for collecting and recycling/reusing campaign materials.

Posted by: carrie | April 21, 2008 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Campaign 08 is intro to the new washington politics and to the new policies we will soon enjoy thanks to buch of teenaged voters who can't tie thier shoes unless they google for directions. No one knows where the money come from. "Regime Obama" if you ask, off with your head. and for the blogger about hillary lending money to her campaign well she did. what the law allows her to. She gave 5 millions. Obama did not spend a nickle. he's not stupid to spend his own money on us. And as for Big Mc his wife is rich as you know.

Posted by: Nobodcares | April 21, 2008 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Who knew it was all about money? All that cash, more commercials (every 5 minutes) tons of paper printed, everytime a slogan change, more placards, more mailers, and yet, still no knockout punch. What gives? Don't people know the candidate with the most money is supposed to win? Who cares if all that paper is environmentally unfriendly. Whatever it takes.

Posted by: BLeone | April 21, 2008 6:22 AM | Report abuse

One more middle-aged white lady who has made several small contributions, probably totaling around $500 to Obama. You need to look again at the exit poll data, Jim. As others have said, it's not just blacks and college students who are contributing. And, what if it were? Not all blacks are poor, you know. There are plenty of black people who can afford a $2300 contribution and plenty more who can afford the kinds of contributions I've been making.

Posted by: THS | April 21, 2008 2:39 AM | Report abuse

Clinton has $8 million on hand for the primary, but $10 million in liabilities -- which doesn't appear to include the $5 million loan from January.

I read that as $7 million in the red. A lot of small and medium sized vendors left hanging in the lurch too.

Posted by: JP2 | April 21, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

My, that is worrisome. Silly and untrue, in itself, but definitely worrisome in how many suckers there are willing to buy such a transparent load. But I keep forgetting, we elected Bush twice, so there's probably many more than one born every minute.

Posted by: nodebris | April 21, 2008 2:10 AM | Report abuse

Jim, forget the conspiracy theories. I'm a retired white lady who sends Obama a few dollars every couple of weeks. Most of my similarly situated elderly friends are doing the same thing. I voted for Bill twice and for Hillary twice - but never again after the racial campaigning she has been doing.

Posted by: Senior Lady | April 21, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Why have we not yet seen Sen. Clinton's COMPLETE 2007 tax return??

Posted by: carrie | April 21, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Over one million individuals have contributed to Obama's campaign and the average contribution has only been about $100 . Mostly educated middle and upper class whites , not "college students and blacks" . Nice try though Jim Richmond or who ever you are . By the way , Clinton has cash problems , her money ( surprise, surprise ) comes mainly from big dollar contributors and most have maxed out their legal contributions already .

Posted by: Allen | April 21, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

Jim,

My husband and I, 40ish and Methodists, give 20.08 every payday. I can tell you quite a number of our relatives and friends do the same thing. Maybe there isn't a lot of support for Obama where you are from, but out West, he's huge. Even my Idaho in-laws, who are about as Republican as you can get like Obama, and my mother-in-law actually even phone banked for him, (from Boise, you have to admit that's amazing...) So, no, it's not Hamas, just some folks with the independent spirit of the pioneers!

Posted by: KS | April 21, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Ahh Jim , what a fountain of BS you are , you rascal you !Obamas money comes mainly from middle and upper class educated whites , you know people with brains . CNN: Clinton Boasts of Support by Richard Mellon Scaife's Conservative Pittsburgh Paper. "The New York senator famously built a relationship with former critic Rupert Murdoch, whose New York Post frequently blasted both Clintons. The Australian-born media baron even hosted a fundraiser for her during her second Senate run. But over the past few months, her presidential campaign has taken its apparent embrace of former media adversaries to a new level, sending reporters articles that praise Clinton and attack Barack Obama drawn from conservative outlets including the National Review and the American Spectator, and quotes from Republican pundits like Ed Rollins and Grover Norquist. And former President Bill Clinton made an appearance on talker Rush Limbaugh's show the day of the Texas and Ohio primaries - contests in which the conservative radio host had urged listeners to vote and blog for Hillary Clinton as a means of sabotaging the Democratic nominating process. 4/21

Posted by: Bod Allen | April 21, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

In the final analysis the choice for democrats is clear:
Do we choose a young, inexperienced, inmatured, untested, rancorous individual, who has close relationships with individuals who hate America?
or
Do we choose a patriotic, matured, tested, strong individual who loves America and americans of all races?

The recent polls reflect the fact that America is making the reasonable choice: Hillary Clinton

Posted by: Manolete | April 21, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Why aren't we starting to ask where the money is coming from. Obama's base is primarily comprised of blacks and college students. Raising that much cash time after time kind of concerns me. I don't know but the way Hamas and other Muslims push him, can we just see if the money is from the legitimate source. In all fairness, don't you think the money he raised brings questions about where the sources are? Just thinking and asking myself since nobody seems to care.

Posted by: Jim Richmond | April 21, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Obama supporters and donors. Nice to see the list.

Posted by: max | April 21, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Money contributed for a primary election may be transferred to the general election but funds contributed and designated for the general election can be used for primaries, but if the candidate does not win the nomination they must returne general election funds to the donor. (FEC Regulations)

Most donor cards have an either/ or clause in the fine print allowing the candidate the maximum flexibility. Howver, contributions in excess of $2,300 from one individual must be divided between the primaries and the general election.

Fear not for Hillary running out of money. She will continue to raise enough to compete. Her problem will be the need to return a significant amount of money to supporters who have more than maxed out for primaries and then given advanced funds for the general that has already been spent.

One must wonder if that is at least part of the reason for her dogged determination to hang on when there is no reasonable way she can win.

Posted by: RD | April 21, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Justin, I got the part about spending through August. Are you saying that if Obama were to have primary funds leftover, he could use them in the General? It would be a pretty savvy PR stunt to have ~$40M on hand, take public funding, and still be able to wage a first class campaign.

Independent of candidate affiliation, all of us political junkies have to marvel at how well this Obama campaign has been run...

Posted by: P Diddy | April 21, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind. Clinton's monthly report just showed up.

$31,712,197.67 cash on hand as of 3/31/08 and $10,321,562.87 in debts.

Posted by: Tom Fox | April 21, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh, is that they money he got from the SF billionaires? I mean his grass roots supporters. What a hypocrite but he's using his millions to run false ad attacking Senator Clinton. This man is not qualified to be presidetn and he made that very clear during the debate. It is time to vote smart and vote Clinton.

Posted by: Tobias | April 21, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

A president who will not wear a flag pin, or lay his hand on his heart when the national anthem is sung is a potential traitor! Beware, don't be hoodwinked by all the charming words, look at the ACTIONS - what if any did he do as Ilinois senator, to give any substance to his speeches? Nothing! And public follows him around like the pied piper.. he has everyone fooled!

Posted by: Jeff | April 21, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Obama is pretending to take the "high and mighty road" while at the same time playing dirty politics, making derogatory remarks anytime he has a chance about Hilary, then distracting it by saying she is throwing the kitchen sink at him. Pretty smart, and if the public is foolish enaough to believe him, they deserve all the lies and deceit that will come with him. Does anyone know he raised his wife's salary THREE fold his first term as Ilinois senator??

Posted by: Sue | April 21, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

According to the Obama campaign's Sunday electronic filing with the Federal Election Commission, it ended March with $51,073,999.99 cash on hand, less $662,784.55 in debts, leaving $50,411,215.44 . . . .
As of 12:25 AM, April 21, 2008, the Clinton campaign had not yet filed it's monthly report, and seemingly missed the filing deadline.
Why?

Posted by: Tom Fox | April 21, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

maybe she could get a group started like go back to the 90's.org. or manhaters.org.

Posted by: LetthemdrinkCrownRoyal | April 21, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Hillary is cash poor and unless her terrorist friends who were pardoned by her husband come around with some cold cash, she's toast. I can't even begin to imagine how many people she is indebted to. She has a waiting list for the Lincoln bedroom . The Clinton argument has always been that Obama is outspending her 3 to 1. What is he supposed to do with his donations, keep it in the bank and collect interest? Obama has to spend more because she has Bill and Chelsea campaigning for her complete with their own press corps covering every event. Do you know that there are still people in Pennsylvania that still don't know who Obama is? There are some people there that still think that Bill Clinton is President.... I mean the way they see him campaigning for re-election and all.

Posted by: Ron | April 21, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

The key questions are how much debt Clinton has - remember all those complaining vendors. Also I'm curious to see if she lent herself more $.

Posted by: JasonT | April 21, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Why not use some of the $109. Million. She will write many more books. It would be a sign to her loyal supporters she believes enough to use her own money. Like a Romney.

Posted by: Dee O. Doublegee | April 21, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

This is still just Clinton's campaign talking. Where are the official numbers?

Posted by: Sueb2 | April 21, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

P Diddy,

The general election doesn't start until after the convention. So, everything up until the end of August comes out of primary funds. This is one of the reasons why Obama's fund raising prowess is so important. It's also the reason why he's likely to take public funding in the general election. It's pretty hard to blow through $84mil in two months, especially when you spent the summer campaigning and prepping the field with primary funds.

Posted by: Justin | April 21, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

"Clinton spokesman Jay Carson said in a statement last night that her bank account saw a significant boost after March 31, past the time frame covered in the FEC report"....

They say that every month.

Posted by: julieds | April 20, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Poor Hillary

Posted by: Kathleen Hussein in Maine | April 20, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Amen!

Posted by: sharon | April 20, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

This really is amazing. That $1M number is the critical one. It means that Obama's donor network is not tapped out by any means, and that he can go back for more should he secure the nomination.

Contrast that to this NY Times article:

Does anyone know if money secured by a campaign for a primary election can also be used for the general election? In other words, does Obama have to "use it or lose it"?

Posted by: P Diddy | April 20, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

nice

Posted by: ashish | April 20, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Questions ABC should have asked Mrs. Clinton:
1. Senator Clinton, you have been sleeping and keeping house with a known adulterer who also lied with his hand on the Bible. Why have you not denounced and rejected him? Does this mean that you approve of, even are yourself an adulterer, and have no respect for or do not believe in the Bible?
2. You kept your chief strategist, Mark Penn, on your payroll, although he had been working to pass free trade agreements with Columbia, also you continue to remain married to Bill, who also received $900,000 for such support, and millions more from China, Saudi Arabia, etc, known breakers of human rights and for China now with aggression against the Tibetan people. Are you therefore really for free trade and approve of China's and other nations' bad human rights record? Are you in fact a free trader and dictator at heart? Why have you not denounced and rejected Mark Penn and Bill Clinton?
Senator Obama's campaign is supported by millions of ordinary citizens like me. We citizens found the ABC debate disgusting--it was like watching a set-up/ambush/lynching of Senator Obama with the three on the stage doing a mob attack. It was more like a bunch of hoodlums against one honest man, with Hillary slugging him from behind. I am a senior citizen feminist who will never vote for Mrs. Clinton. Hillary believes she is entitled to her husband's ex-job, but most Americans dislike and distrust her, and on good evidence. We've watched Hillary lie with a smile on St Patrick's Day about coming under sniper fire in Bosnia. Watched her smile as she knee-caps Obama with distortions on words taken out of context. Watched her smile as she lies to blue collar workers about NAFTA and about her working class identity, she of the multimillions from shady off-shore corporations and with a Yale law-school degree put to the service of union-busting Wal-Mart. Senator Obama shows restraint and class in steering away from negative attacks on her, and whoa! is there a pile of *hit on record with the Clinton dynasty. Pardons in exchange for payback from criminals, Saudi millions for the Clinton Foundation, hundreds of thousands for support of the Colombian free trade treaty, etc, etc. Hillary cries for the camera to get the sister votes, chugs down whiskey chased with beer for the machismo barflies, and keeps intimate company with an impeached president caught lying with his hand on the Bible about not having sex with that woman. What does her sleeping with a proven adulterer and lying-under-oath President say about the company she keeps? The more we watch Hillary, the more we distrust her. The more we know Obama, the more he becomes our candidate to change dynastic business as usual in Washington. We citizens of the American Republic denounce and reject the Clinton dynasty and oligarchy. We want our democracy back.

Posted by: lyn | April 20, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse