Obama's Five Suit Strategy

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama, (D-Ill.), poses for photos after a news conference at a gas station in Indianapolis April 25, 2008. (Associated Press)

By Alec MacGillis
INDIANAPOLIS -- Every armchair political strategist and his sister have been telling Barack Obama that he needs to find a way to connect more with middle Americans who, even if they are open to voting for the first viable black presidential candidate, may be left cool by Obama's oratorical flair and urbane look. Today, Obama offered on of his most expansive riff in that direction, even as he noted dryly that it seemed ironic for him to have to prove his "street cred."

It came at an Indianapolis gas station where he'd come to present his plan for lowering gas prices, when a local reporter asked him whether his difficulty reaching some working-class voters had to do with his "looking too much like a G.Q. cover." Instead of bristling at the superficiality of the question, as he might have in a different moment, Obama smiled and ran with it, trying to argue that his snappy sartorial touch was less than it appeared.

Tugging at his charcoal gray suit, he said, "This is a fairly standard suit here, you know. I haven't changed my approach to dressing too much. Michelle has asked me to clean up because when she met me I had one suit. Michelle always finds this funny, because I basically buy five of the same suit and then I patch them up and wear them repeatedly. I have four pairs of shoes. Recently I've taken to getting a hair cut more frequently than I used to, because my mother-in-law makes fun of me. I don't think people are too worried about what I'm wearing."

He then noted that his poor bowling in Pennsylvania had raised doubts about his common-man credentials, but, still smiling, he challenged the media's depiction of that event, noting that it had been inaccurately reported that his 37 score had come in a full 10 frames, when it had not.

"I know there was concern about my bowling score and I have committed to practicing bowling so that I'm better. Although I do have to say that the fact that you guys reported it as though I really bowled 10 frames -- particularly those of you who were there, that just was underhanded. You know? There's only seven frames and two of them were bowled by a 10 year old, and remember the little kid, the three year old? We carried the ball and put it down the rail. None of that ever came out. What happened? ... Well, look, I can't excuse the first two gutter balls."

He then turned more serious, acknowledging the broader problem. "Look, one of the things we're going to have to do during the next several weeks is just remind people where I come from. It's true that both the Republicans and [Hillary Clinton] to some degree have been trying to paint me as some kind of elitist and out of touch. It's hard for me to figure that out given that I was raised with far fewer advantages than either of my two remaining opponents, that my work started off on the streets of Chicago as a community organizer, that my wife Michelle grew up in that same neighborhood with a mother and father who never went to college -- who worked as a secretary and city worker -- that we financed all our education with student loans."

"I was raised in a setting with grandparent who grew up in small towns in Kansas, and the dinner table would have been very familiar to anyone here in small town Indiana -- a lot of pot roast and potatoes and jello molds," he continued. "So on the one hand, I don't want to go out of the way and sort of prove my street cred as a down to earth guy. People know me, people who work with me know that the reason I'm in this race is that my own life history, and my professional history working as a community organizer and civil rights lawyer, is to fight so that people can take those same ladders of opportunity that I was able to take as a kid. And right now this country is not providing those same ladders. And that's why I'm in this race. That's why I'm fighting to win this nomination and that's why I think I will be the most effective president of the three remaining candidates in helping people help themselves."

He realized he still had work to do. "I will be fighting as hard as I can to make sure that people understand why I got in this race in the first place, and how I got to where I am today, and when they understand that, I think they'll recognize themselves and my struggles are theirs and that together we can change the country."

By Web Politics Editor  |  April 25, 2008; 4:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Plans May General Election Organizing Launch
Next: Clyburn Warns Democratic Party: African Americans Matter

Comments

Those who are not for Obama have not heard him or cannot imagine. They have become jaded and use to uninspiringing "elected" leaders rather than inspiring natural leaders who they can then elect.

Technocrats like Clinton and one horse ponies like McCain; all due respect to them, are consequently acts of fear and not of fierce determination to be a better house.

Good luck to all.

Posted by: George | April 27, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

No disrespect to bank vice-presidents, but anyone who claims that being holding the title of vice-president in a bank is somehow wealthy and important has proven himself to be so ignorant that the rest of his comment can be ignored.

For whatever historical reason, a "vice-president" in a bank is a middle management position not much higher than a teller. An assistant branch manager might be a vice president, for example. In his book "Dreams From My Father," Barack mentions how his grandmother went to work at her bank each day, back in the early 1970s (rather unwillingly since all she really wanted to be was a homemaker, but her husband didn't earn much money). She got to the rank of VP and that's where her career progress stopped, since she was a female employee and job discrimination was still quite real, and she spent the rest of her banking career watching younger men being promoted over her.

He had a needs-based academic scholarship to Punahou (his prep school in Hawaii). Obviously he would have stuck out as super-bright, and there was no way his grandparents, an unsuccessful insurance agent and a lowly bank employee, could have paid for him to be there. Let alone his mother the graduate student, living on her student grants and loans.

Compared to McCain (an admiral's son) and Hillary Clinton (solidly middle class, stable midwestern family), there's no doubt that Barack Obama has risen the farthest from the lowest beginnings.

Posted by: PrussianBlue1 | April 26, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

As a retired, white, middle-class person, I live in the state that gave us the first African-American governor. I got to vote for him then, just like I'll get to vote for Barack now. I am sad to see that race will be an issue in this election, especially from my friends in Yankeeland. It was really sad to see the results in PA where race was a factor in over 10% of votes cast. Ideas, issues, and morality should be the major items of contention. As long as the candidates meet the constitutionally mandated age and birth place requirement, then we need to vote our convictions. Furthermore, I do not vote for a religious leader for President. I am voting for a person who may possess religious convictions but who can represent all of the people, regardless of their religious affiliation. Bush is a perfect reason why the religious right is all wrong.

Posted by: Earl C, Virginia Beach | April 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

must really be a slow news day--- yet seems to have generated huge interest and controversey among some raging posters. 5 conservative suits; I guess that really does prove he's the anti-christ after all. Maybe he should be strutting around in a bomber jacket declaring victory over the evil empire like the W, or preening in pink polo shirts and khakis like ladies man Bill Clinton used to do.

Posted by: sean o | April 26, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe NOOBAMA has any clue what they are talking about.. The fact of the matter is, Hillary is losing and she knows it. All practicality of a win for her campaign has essentially dissipated. If either of the candidates should drop out due to improbable chances of winning, I think we all agree, it would have to be Hillary.. If you'd actually pay attention and look at how she has run her campaign, you would realize that she is what we all know to be true, a liar for starters, and a blood thirsty politician obsessed with tearing down the Obama campaign, trying every desperate and conniving trick in the book to make Barack un-electable.. Barack is right, the American people are smarter than that, at least I am, and personally, I am proud that I will be voting for such an inteligent and eloquent individual such as Barack. If you look at the debt she's in, you would realize that she can't even work out the logistics to find a way to finance her own campaign, why should we trust her to run the economy? If you look at her record, you'd see she's a right wing Democrat, Strike 1) A vote for the war 2)She put her health care plan on the back burner for years so she could use it to make her a stronger candidate in 2008 instead of helping uninsured families at that time 3) Her tooth and nail politics she flaunts at every debate "as if she were the Republican and Obama was the Democrat" (Sorry Olberman, stole that from you, but it's so horrifyingly true!).. She doesn't care about the American people, all her and Bill care about is getting cozy in the White House again, and that's not the kind of person I feel is an appropriate candidate to run our country.

Posted by: fwp9234 | April 26, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fwp9234 | April 26, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

GO BARACK.....may God use you to do some good for this blessed country that is being dragged down by evil in diiferent shapes and forms..politics,religion,Godlessness,hypocrisy,lies.Forget about zealots who lie that they know God whom they have not seen when they do not know thire fellow human beings who they see evry single day!!!

Posted by: dbolaji@pol.net | April 26, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

In reading some of these comments, I find the comment, "Barack seems to be talking down to me". Does this say more about you than Barack. Remember the last eight years, Bush was a regular guy, in retrospect, did he respect you in his actions. It is time to wake up and start voting your interest instead of letting your prejudices get in your way. Barack is the real thing. He does not try and build himself at the expense of others.

Posted by: Ilah P. Grant | April 26, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ilah P. Grant | April 26, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I hate America. I go to a church that compels its congregation to shout, "God Da*n America."

By the way, I'm Chicano. I should totally be in office.
All I need now is some elite white liberals who are of touch with the people, a terrorist connection, a racist wife, and I need a super-corrupt friend who will donate cash and sell me a house. I also need to work on my lying skills. Did I mention that I hate America, but I'm a unifer. Vote for me.

When I was a child, my mother told me there would never be a Mexican or a Chicano in the White House. Now I know how I can get there. And who said this wasn't the land of opportunity? Only in America.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"Now that's class" - we have not yet seen Obama´s taxes 1997,1998 and 1999. He is hiding something! He is a racist using his white card when he feels it´s necessery and the African-American card on other occasions. He is wily and too tactical and he also is a coward who can´t debate in North Carolina. A man who cannot debate cannot win the Presidency. Hillary is a stronger candidate.

Posted by: Roy | April 26, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

OUR TIME HAS COME!!! OBAMA '08! RACISM WE CAN BELIEVE IN!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 6:14 AM | Report abuse

Clinton can't run her household
Clinton can't control her husband
Clinton can't run a fiscal responsible campaign

BUT

Clinton wants to run the country

I think hmmm ...... NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ingrid | April 26, 2008 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Clinton can't run her household
Clinton can't control her husband
Clinton can't run a fiscal responsible campaign

BUT

Clinton wants to run the country

I think hmmm ...... NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ingrid | April 26, 2008 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Today, Latinos and Asians experience more racism than African Americans. And you have to be kidding me, Latinos and Asians have experienced outrageous racism in the past. The thing is, white Americans are not exposed to it and won't be. Operation Wetback for one against Latinos.

The Chinese helped support Manifest Destiny and built the railroads on their backs so whites could continue to commit the genocide of Native Americans. We "rewarded" the hardworking Chinese-Americans with the Chinese Exclusion Act. We interned loyal Japanese-Americans who ended being some of the most decorated soldiers in WWII. While their families had their home stripped and were kept in horse corrals, their sons were fighting so that Americans would be free from Nazi imperialism. The only atomic bombs were dropped on the Japanese people. Their people today still suffer from the radiation poisoning.

Today, white people refuse to recognize other minority groups besides blacks. Anytime a black civil rights leader, or a black politician, black hip hop artist, or athlete calls America racist, white America jumps.

Latinos and Asian Americans have been silent for too long. The problem has been we have been trying to be "good Americans." We work hard, hold ourselves accountable, and live the American Dream of creating a better life for our children. Well frankly, I'm tired of being ignored. Seems like the only way to get white America's attention is by saying, "God Da*n America" This is what I learn from black people. The American Dream is dead, and its dead because of racist black people and elite whites who are stupid enough to buy into their bs.

Posted by: Mexican President | April 26, 2008 2:58 AM | Report abuse

It is ironic that the poorest candidate from the humblest roots is the one people believe to be elitist.

His father was never around.

His mother raised him on food stamps for a time.

He spent 4 years of his childhood in Indonesia where his hobbies included chasing chickens and mud sliding.

He received the best education through scholarship.

He chose to work as a community organiser in the poorest districts of Chicago.

Being intellectually gifted does not make Obama elitist. It just makes him intelligent.

Posted by: Falcon | April 26, 2008 1:56 AM | Report abuse

I just don't think the country is ready for a Lesbian president.

Posted by: LetthemdrinkCrownRoyal | April 25, 2008 10:34 PM
__________
I'm not sure the county is ready for a gay one that snorts crack either! It could happen, though!

Posted by: Larry Sinclair | April 26, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I'm Obama and I HAVE A FIVE-SUIT STRATEGY!!!!

1- I'm a black man - casual
2- I', a white man - more formal
3- I'm a bowler - no coat
4- I'm an elitist - black tie
5- Reserved for future use

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

HILLARY VOTED FOR THE WAR

Posted by: Anonymous | April 26, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Haha. I appreciate that snide last line, blog-author. Yeah, you've hit on the real problem here. This presidential candidate wears too many damn suits! Imagine the pretense! I know that I, for one, like my presidential candidates in dirty undershirts. With holes in them. So there. Obama-shmobama.

Good luck graduating to real journalism ;-)

Posted by: Melissa | April 25, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Classism

Since he began running for public office the challenge Obama faces in working-class, white ethnic neighborhoods is well known. Richard Dorsch, a 53-year-old paramedic Fire Chief from Chicago's Edison Park told Przybyla he supported Clinton in the Illinois primary, but he will vote for John McCain if Obama wins the nomination. This is why:

"When he talks to you, it's like he's talking down to you. He doesn't have the experience to talk like that."

This is not racism, which is the popular reason asserted for Obama's poor showing with white working class voters. It is class. And class is the elephant in the room that some pundits reference but always pejoratively. One can almost hear them saying, 'don't you get it? these ignorant racist stumblebums are the clods keeping Obama from sweeping to victory.'

Unfortunately, this demonstrates how little pundits do their homework. The issue of these voters raises a huge, and perhaps insurmountable problem for the Democrats in November with Obama as their standard bearer. Kent Redfield, a professor of political studies at the University of Illinois in Springfield says:

"When Democrats win national elections they really do put that old New Deal coalition back together. They have to get that Reagan Democrat."

(more at site)

DISCLAIMER
This site is NOT related in ANY WAY to Right-Wing Political Pundit MICHAEL SAVAGE and it is NOT Partisan to ANY Political Party or Campaign!

Posted by: Pennsylvania is Clinton Country | April 25, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

HILLARY VOTED FOR THE WAR

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

And apologies for the typos - I thought I hit return to fix something ... and what you see above (unedited) is the result. O.K., not perfect but perfectable ... :-)

Posted by: Suzie Kidder | April 25, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I skimmed some of the comments - could we just try for a moment being nice to one another?

I'm a huge Obama supporter, but I don't expect him to save me. In fact, I think if any of us plan on being saved we better figure out how to do it for ourselves. There's no elected official who's going to be able to "make it all better for us."

The job of turning this country around and repairing the damage done by the Bush Administration is going to take the best efforts of every single person in this nation. Not to mention the fact that we're collectively in a race with time to figure out how to repair the damage we've done to the Earth so we can continue to live here.

What we do know about Obama is that he took a well-earned law degree from Harvard onto the streets of Chicago to work as a community organizer. That gives him undisputable street creds. He does understand the needs of small communities because these are pretty much the same regardless of whether those "small towns" are located in a rural areas - or the middle of big cities. Those who live in them all need decent jobs, healthcare, respect, and the chance to make a better life for their kids.
It's true that we haven't had a chance to see him perform on the national stage to the same extent that we've been able to observe Hillary Clinton or John McCain. And elections don't count guys - they're artificial and what we see happening we see through the filter of the media. We don't have a clue how any of the 3 might actually perform as President, because the truth is that you can prepare for that job but you can't practice being President. When you're elected you either rise to the challenge like Abraham Lincoln, or you fall on your face like George Bush.

But I do know one thing - if we don't quit attacking each other, calling each other nasty names, and generally behaving in ways that would earn a toddler a ten-minute "time out," it won't matter a damn who gets elected. Come on guys, let's try being nice to one another. You can vote for Hillary and I can vote for Barack - hell my cousin thinks McCain/Rice is good slate and I love her anyway.

I grew up in Concord MA and had a "great, great.. grandfather who dumped tea in Boston Harbor .... But the lesson from that period of fairly intense "change" ws that a group of people with very different opinions on many subjects figured out to work together to give birth to something magnificent. We can do the same. Could we just try to be listen to each other for a moment with the assumption that we might learn something from those who don't agree with everything we think we believe?

Posted by: Suzie Kidder | April 25, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I just don't think the country is ready for a Lesbian president.

Posted by: LetthemdrinkCrownRoyal | April 25, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

DREAM TEAM:
WRIGHT FOR PRESIDENT
OBAMA FOR VICEPRESIDENT

Posted by: Satan | April 25, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Obama dresses like a new rich mixed blood guy who loves to pose as a Black Man!

Posted by: Fashion Police | April 25, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

PRICEISRIGHT: YOUR RIGHT AND BARAK AND REV. WRIGHT ARE RIGHT. AMERICANS ARE ALL RACIST AND BARAK IS GONNA WIN ANYWAY. THERES NOTING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT. WERE GONNA GET WHATS OURS.

OBAMA 08

Posted by: Obamamama | April 25, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

interesting, Obama uses racist language, is a racist and is using his skin color to get the nomination and/ or the presidency?
Yet, no one who makes these points:
a) mentions the other 43 presidents and numerous nominees in both parties who used their race to win
b) cite one instant of Obama saying something racist (if you say the 'typical white people' quote, then everyone is a racist. if you say you've never made generalized statements about a race you're lying.
c) never take their meds before the get on the internets.
People, we are acting as if America has not been a racist country since its origin. But it doesn't matter now because things aren't that way anymore, yet some folks won't vote for him because he's black?
If you don't like him or his policies fine, everyone who will vote for him knows he's not perfect. But to not vote for him because he's black is not surprising and neither is pretending these little controversies is a reason to judge him as a racist.
Dummies or political hacks, we need less of in this election....

Posted by: priceisright | April 25, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

BARAK HAS ALREADY WON. BARAK IS GONNA DO RIGHT BY US AND GIVE US WHATS COMMIN. THE MEDIA IS ON OUR SIDE AND THERES NOTHIN YOU CAN DO ABUOT IT. TOO BAD

OBAMA 08

Posted by: Obamamama | April 25, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA AIDE: "WORKING-CLASS VOTERS NOT KEY FOR DEMOCRATS" :-0

MY FELLOW "BITTER", STUPID, WORKING CLASS PEOPLE :-)

If you think like Barack Obama, that WORKING CLASS PEOPLE are just a bunch of "BITTER"!, STUPID, PEASANTS, Cash COWS!, and CANNON FODDER. :-(

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think Barack Obama with little or no experience would be better than Hillary Clinton with 35 years experience.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can fix an economy on the verge of collapse better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) led the greatest economic expansion, and prosperity in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience fighting for universal health care can get it for you better than Hillary Clinton. Who anticipated this current health care crisis back in 1993, and fought a pitched battle against overwhelming odds to get universal health care for all the American people.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience can manage, and get us out of two wars better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) went to war only when he was convinced that he absolutely had to. Then completed the mission in record time against a nuclear power. AND DID NOT LOSE THE LIFE OF A SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER. NOT ONE!

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience saving the environment is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) left office with the greatest amount of environmental cleanup, and protections in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with little or no education experience is better than Hillary Clinton. Whose ;-) husband (Bill Clinton) made higher education affordable for every American. And created higher job demand and starting salary's than they had ever been before or since.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that Obama with no experience will be better than Hillary Clinton who spent 8 years at the right hand of President Bill Clinton. Who is already on record as one of the greatest Presidents in American history.

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think that you can change the way Washington works with pretty speeches from Obama, rather than with the experience, and political expertise of two master politicians ON YOUR SIDE like Hillary and Bill Clinton..

You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you think all those Republicans voting for Obama in the Democratic primaries, and caucuses are doing so because they think he is a stronger Democratic candidate than Hillary Clinton. :-)

Best regards

jacksmith... Working Class :-)

p.s. You Might Be An Idiot! :-)

If you don't know that the huge amounts of money funding the Obama campaign to try and defeat Hillary Clinton is coming in from the insurance, and medical industry, that has been ripping you off, and killing you and your children. And denying you, and your loved ones the life saving medical care you needed. All just so they can make more huge immoral profits for them-selves off of your suffering...

You see, back in 1993 Hillary Clinton had the audacity, and nerve to try and get quality, affordable universal health care for everyone to prevent the suffering and needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of you each year. :-)

Approx. 100,000 of you die each year from medical accidents from a rush to profit by the insurance, and medical industry. Another 120,000 of you die each year from treatable illness that people in other developed countries don't die from. And I could go on, and on...

Posted by: jacksmith | April 25, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

THE WHITE MAN HAS HAD HIS TIME. BARAK WILL MAKE SURE THAT WE GET OURS. BARAK IS BETTER THAN SOME OLD WHITE WOMAN. HES THE SAVIOR OF THE COUNTRY AND WHITE PEOPEL JUST BETTER GET USED TO IT.

Posted by: Obamamama | April 25, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Politics suck.

re: "If Clinton whistles race she would be called an awful racist."

She's plays the gender card plenty. What about the tears, for the press picking on her, and the I'm still human remarks. All part of the strategy folks. She played the "Ladies first" trap into too many first questions for her in debates, and the list just goes on, unfortunately without end...

There's no crying in presidential campaigns.

Let's turn the page. Only one candidate inspires new thinking. The riskier move is to think that the rest of the world will never change and we should should extend our worn out international reputation as arrogant, selfish and uncooperative with the same old leaders.

America was founded on risk. Calculated risk, smart risk. Purposeful risk. Change is not a big, scary monster. It is a plan for the future.

Posted by: DonJulio | April 25, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Carolyn Grace,

What word would you use to describe someone who surreptiously flips off his opponent while giving a campaign speech in pursuit of the presidency not once, but twice at two seperate events? I wasn't sure about the first time, but when he did it again while saying the same words, my doubts were assuaged. I would call him trash.

Posted by: brigittepj | April 25, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA IS OUR SAVIOR.

BARAK AND REVEREND WRIGHT ARE RIGHT, GOD D*** AMERICA FOR SLAVERY AND JIM CROW.

NOW IS THE TIME TO RALLY AROUND BARAK AND MICHELLE AND MAKE THEM PROUD!

HE WILL UNITE THE PEOPLE OF COLOR AROUND THE WORLD TO FIGHT THE WHITE OPPRESSOR. THE WHITE MAN HAS HAD HIS DAY. BLACK PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HELD DOWN TO LONG.

NO MORE SO CALLED ELECTIONS WHERE TYPICAL WHITE PEOPLE VOTE IN RACIST PEOPLE WHO DONT WORK FOR US.

AND NEWS FLASH MERICAN, BARAK IS RIGHT, YOUR TYPICAL WHITE PERSON IS A RACIST.

BARAK WILL APOLOGIZE TO OUR MUSLIM BROTHERS FOR ARRAGANT AMERICAN POLICIES OF HATE AND SLAVERY.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY REV. WRIGHT IS RIGHT, ONLY BARAK CAN FORGIVE AN EVIL NATION FOUNDED ON SLAVERY.

REPARATIONS NOW!

Posted by: Obamamama | April 25, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

To the one that posted that Senator Obama is "trash". What kind of a comment is that? Why in the world would you say that? Trash? That is totally disgusting. Shame on you. He's not the one that voted for this war, he's not the one that's lied about NAFTA, lied about sniper fire, spouse was impeached for lying about sex to a grand jury. Where do you get off calling him trash? Shame on you.

Posted by: Carolyn Grace | April 25, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

i agree that some obama supporters are way over the top with their love for him, but when i see idiots like NOOBAMA, RAT-the, and cona disrespect them for being ignorant and easily manipulated, i get sick from the irony. then again, it seems those too stupid to hold down an actual job spend all day typing on political message boards.

Posted by: Andrew Schilling | April 25, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Roy, it boils down to this:

"People know me, people who work with me know that the reason I'm in this race is that my own life history, and my professional history working as a community organizer and civil rights lawyer, is to fight so that people can take those same ladders of opportunity that I was able to take as a kid. And right now this country is not providing those same ladders. And that's why I'm in this race. That's why I'm fighting to win this nomination and that's why I think I will be the most effective president of the three remaining candidates in helping people help themselves."

And with all that we do know about Barack Obama, warts and all, is that he is a fairly straight shooter. He's just as capable as Hillary, doesn't shake easily and won't back down from McCain. And he's all about transparency in government. Hillary sure as hell isn't - getting her taxes was like pulling teeth.

Posted by: now that's class. | April 25, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, God! If I see another post saying Barack is our savior, I'm going to puke! Please get some help! This guy is a dirty Chigaco politician who has found a way to brainwash a large part of the American electorate. I feel nothing but pity for those of you who believe he is anything other than a con artist. I hope you all seek professional help. Obama doesn't have a five suit strategy. He has one. Empty!

Posted by: Obama Who? | April 25, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Can the Fact Checker look into this? Because I recall the Post running a story this fall about the Washington tailor who counts Obama among his clients. Yes, Obama buys suits off the rack, but at a thousand bucks or more a throw they're hardly cheap. Then he has them tailored by Washington's top tailor. Obama's trying a little too hard, here.

Posted by: ezr | April 25, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA IS OUR SAVIOR.

BARAK AND REVEREND WRIGHT ARE RIGHT, GOD D*** AMERICA FOR SLAVERY AND JIM CROW.

NOW IS THE TIME TO RALLY AROUND BARAK AND MICHELLE AND MAKE THEM PROUD!

AND NEWS FLASH MERICAN, BARAK IS RIGHT, YOUR TYPICAL WHITE PERSON IS A RACIST.

REPARATIONS NOW!

Posted by: Obamamama | April 25, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

. ............_. ,-´``;
. . . . . . . . . .,`. . .`-----´..
. . . . . . . . . .,. . . . . .~ .`- .
. . . . . . . . . ,´. . . . . . . .o. .o__
. . . . . . . . _|. . . . . . . . . . . . (#)
. . . . . . . _. ´`~-.. . . . . . . . . .,´
. . . . . . .,. .,.-~-.´ -.,. . . ..´--~` OBAMA 2008
. . . . . . /. ./. . . . .}. .` -..,/
. . . . . /. ,´___. . :/. . . . . .
. . . . /´`-.|. . . `´-..´........ . .
. . . ;. . . . . . . . . . . . .)-.....|
. . .|. . . . .´ ---........-´. . . ,´
. . .´,. . ,....... . . . . . . . . .,´
. . . .´ ,/. . . . `,. . . . . . . ,´
. . . . .. . . . . .. . . .,.- ´
. . . . . ´,. . . . . ´,-~´`. ;. . . . . ..,=======,
. . . . . .|. . . . . ;. . . /__. . . . . . .......... . . /
. . . . . /. . . . . /__. . . . .). . . . . . . ..... . . /
. . . . . ´-.. . . . . . .)----~´. . .. . .\______/
. . . . . . .´ - .......-`

Posted by: G LEE | April 25, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Could you possibly be more snarky! Why are journalists so immature?

"And with that, the man in the sleek charcoal suit and blue silk tie strode across the gas station to shake hands with some regular folks in shorts and T-shirts on the far side of the road."

Posted by: fldem | April 25, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he is using his "typical white person" Grandmother again! Obama, give it up! You are not electable! Winning red states means you LOSE those states in November and LOSING BLUE states now means you lose those states in November and Losing KEY swing states now means you lose those states in November. So how do you win? You don't! Quit the race! Give Hillary, a Democrat a chance to WIN this election. You cannot win. You were inexperienced and now you are flawed and inexperienced. Please leave the race! You are polarizing in the worst way possible. You have even divided the Democrats. You are ahead by default. Leave the race! You are not our choice anymore.

Posted by: NOOBAMA | April 25, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

If only Obama learned from the biggest poser of them all. Silver-spooned GW dons a pair of cowboy boots and a hat, starts talking just like they trained him at those fancy private schools, Yale and Harvard. You know, "Why hell! Sure is big down here in Texas! Sheeeit!" and those evangelicals fall over themselves convinced that he's the preview to the Second Coming. Apparently that's all it takes to get the Republican vote.

It looks like Obama needs less than half the outstanding super delegates to cinch it. If Clinton got more than half, she still loses...Time to bow out Hillary. Do the math. Your reputation and Bill's legacy are melting fast.

Posted by: thebob.bob | April 25, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Look at the Obama fans' comments. He's a "godsend," the "best hope of...the earth." People have invested such insanely unrealistic hopes and ideals in one unknown politician solely on the basis of his identity. He is not offering any essentially different policies. He has not actually achieved anything of note in his years as a state politician or in his meager years in the US Senate (where he has just focused on running for President). And he has not practiced the non-partisan, "new" politics he preaches. This is some really strong Maui Wowie these people must be smoking!

Posted by: Sara Rogers | April 25, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, LOL!

Folks, where there might not be an occasion in Hawaii to wear a Suit, I doubt if there is one in DC, where you don't HAVE to have one!

LOL, only 5 in a place like Washington, is acting like a European!

No wonder Soros supports Barry! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | April 25, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Sensible enough. But now the Clinton/McCain/right wing camps will be erupting over the fact that Obama has as many as five suits: "I bet the average American doesn't have that many. He should campaign and go to the Senate floor in a GAP tee and sandals!"

Posted by: matt | April 25, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Cona, FYI... Bank Vice-President is nothing... a VP is a dime a dozen at a bank... I've worked in banks for the past 12 years and was a VP... its nothing.

Posted by: JC | April 25, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Just like Hillary, Cona is a huge LIAR too.

Posted by: Truth | April 25, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

My vote is for Senator Obama, if he runs is campaign half as well has he will run the country, better times are ahead for all of us.

Posted by: Deward Bowles | April 25, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama is a godsend. At this juncture we have still not yet fully earned, let alone insured, the domestic tranquility referred to in the Preamble to our Constitution. But the civil tone and calming demeanor of Obama promises a fresh start.

Posted by: FirstMouse | April 25, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Obama, the ultimate POS, er poser.

he came from $$$$
his grandmother was a bank vice president.
Both his parents had phds.
he went to a private elite high school (NOT on a need-based scholarship, the grandchildren of the vp of the largest bank in hawaii don't get need-based scholarships)

He's not cool, he's trash.

Posted by: Cona | April 25, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama is not only the best hope for this nation, but for the entire world. We are at a significant point in the history of both this nation and of the world where creative, dedicated leadership is mandatory. Barack Obama is that leader.

We would be remiss to pass up this opportunity to vote for Obama.

Obama '08!!

Posted by: Cora | April 25, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hillary Clinton is a LIAR. Can't anyone see this? She lied multiple times about SNIPER FIRE in Bosnia. SHE IS LYING ABOUT THE POPULAR VOTE!!! Watch her speak with a southern accent in NC! SHE IS A LIAR!!!!!

Posted by: Truth | April 25, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

If Clinton whistles race she would be called an awful racist. Obama is a racist all the time. He is using his own skin to get supporters. Nobody is talking about gender.

Now that's class wrote: "Love you Barack!!" I don´t love Obama but this is in fact more about love than solid politic. It´s a tragedy that people can´t realize that they are on their way to nominate a risky candidate.

Posted by: Roy | April 25, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL! What a Poser!

LOL! If Barack could afford Potatoes on the Rock known as Oahu, he grew up richer than I thought!
I had to settle for New Zealand Beef and rice! :-(

Suits? Since WHEN do Hawaiian Locals wear Suits? Not since McGarrett did in Hawaii 5-O I'd guess!

See, Barry grew up in the Tropics! Not Inner City Chicago, Detroit, or ANYTHING resembling a Inner City in the Mange-Land!

Granted, Hawaii does have Commerce, and Industrial sections. BUT, even the worst place on Oahu, is BETTER than the Best place on the Mange-land!

You "Life Story" Barry,-I NO SHIBAI! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | April 25, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse