Persistent Picture-Seeker Irks Obama

By Shailagh Murray
PHILADELPHIA -- During Sen. Barack Obama's visit to the Italian Market here this morning, he was harassed repeatedly by a middle-aged man trying to get a photo with the Illinois senator. The extended contact was unusual, given the heavy security surrounding the candidate, and Obama was sufficiently frazzled that he lost his cool.

It turned out the man was an e-Bay seller, according to campaign spokesman Robert Gibbs. He had been spotted by campaign staff at Obama's hotel earlier in the morning, and was seeking an autograph -- presumably for sale -- as well as a photograph to authenticate the transaction.

Apparently the man had previously approached Obama while he was speaking to several children. When the man surfaced at the Italian Market for another try, Obama walked away. The man nudged his way to Obama again, after the senator walked out of a shop. "Senator can I get a picture with you?" Slightly annoyed, Obama responded, "You are wearing me out, brother."

A bit later, the man was back. "Senator, can I please, a quick one?" A very annoyed Obama responded, "No, you know what, no." The man asserted, "Can I just say something to you real fast? I had one with Clinton, I had one with Sen. McCain."

Obama said, "I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids...." The man interrupted, "No, my wife is a schoolteacher, and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right... I'm not asking you for an autograph, it's for my family."

"Yeah, well, whatever. Just take it," Obama said. "I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out... you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot."

But no picture was taken. Obama and the man were still arguing when a Secret Service agent stepped in and put a hand between the man and Obama. "That's it," the agent said.

"No, I'm good," the man protested. "All I want is a picture, that's it."

By Web Politics Editor  |  April 2, 2008; 1:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Savors Some Very Special Pork
Next: Clinton Keeps Her Pa. Lead

Comments

Obama is a very rude person. I met him in Iowa and gave me a hard time on an autograph. Vote Clinton & McCain

Posted by: Brett | May 8, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

If the guy was black, Obama would have taken the picture without a problem. Just check all the rallies and other events. He NEVER refuses a "Brother".

Posted by: Robert McCall | April 9, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Obama is a flat tire.

He has paid bloggers.

... and we are all scratching our heads wondering WHAT is so great about this guy? It's the piles of $$$ thrown at his campaign.

Hmmmm. Where is it coming from?

Posted by: cate | April 8, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

And who is this guy? Think, think, think, you Poohs. Do a little more diggy there stenographers. Check out his background. His real background. You might find some interesting connections to that closet man from Texas, the man with the plan.

Posted by: fishyfu | April 7, 2008 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Let's see the vids and hear the audio to McCain's insane and vulgar attacks on his own GOPers! When will these be played for us? They are out there. As a former GOP op guy I heard/saw them. They were all set to come out until he got crushed in 2000. Let's see them now before it is too late and this n%t takes control and then loses control again. Once Americans hear this guy's real self they will be scared witless.

Posted by: fishyfu | April 7, 2008 2:58 AM | Report abuse

gbooksdc and majorteddy:

I'm taking it easy. Are you sure you are replying to the right person(s)? I never said anything about "we Clinton supporters". Even though I would not vote for her in a million years, I have sometimes made typos. I didn't think anything that bad to be completely mistaken for someone else though ; )

Posted by: JakeD | April 4, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Obama only wanted the man who burst in while he was talking to group of kids to lighten up, he could not even finish talking to them. This guy was really pushy and never stopped talking never apologized. He claimed his presence was wanting a pic, obviously did not want one even when asked to go ahead and take it he did not. He could have taken 10.. he was so close on Obama he could have attacked him, or shot him. I was wondering why he was even there after he never took the pic.

Posted by: gawaniaspigner | April 4, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

JakeD===take it easy big guy---I thought I was in Bosnia taking sniper fire.

Posted by: majorteddy | April 4, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

JakeD:

I've been away on vacation for a week (unlike some on this board, I do have a life). Matter of fact, I was through Berkeley (alleged home of svliar, though his real home is prolly in a basement in Carlisle, PA). Anyhoo, I came across this line you posted earlier:

"we Clinton supporters hardly get a chance to go ballistic over any one single statement of Obama because his contradictions and lies just keep piling up."

Now, earlier, you extolled svliar, as follows:

"Here's a partial list (apart from all the despicable personal qualities highlighted by those like JackSmith1 and svreader): ..."

Citing him as a source is evidently an endorsement of his veracity.

Before I left for my vacation, you decried personal attacks on svliar and said that he never issued personal attacks (I'm paraphrasing, but I can get the cites). I stated that he'd engaged in gay-bashing, and promised to provide cites by 6PM. You agreed that gay-bashing would be a personal attack, and said you'd look forward to the cites. I provided them.

Here's my point: I do not recall seeing any statement by you condemning svliar for his gay-bashing (he also likes to say people who disagree with him are on drugs). So while you claim Obama "contradictions and lies just keep piling up", you do not condemn svliar, whose "contradictions and lies just keep piling up." Aren't you guilty of the same thing vis-a-vis svliar that you claim vis-a-vis Obama supporters?

PS I posted one post while on vacation, in which I challenged svliar's often-repeated claim that "poor people of all colors suffered and died because of" Obama (60 times, by my count). Even though he often followed the charge "The one that got me posting here is that he let the people who voted him into office in Chicago freeze, and some of them died" with the statement "Do your research", and also claimed "The difference between you and me is that I do my research", when I challenged him to name _just one_ person of the many he claimed died in "Obama's slums", he wimped out. Does that NOT sound like a liar to you?

PPS svliar has claimed, repeatedly, to be a Ph.D. in "EE/CS", which we can all agree implies an educated man. (The degree, from Berkeley, would actually be in Engineering.) But this person has spelled hardship "h-e-a-r-t-s-h-i-p", chameleon "c-a-m-e-l-i-o-n", then "c-a-m-e-l-e-o-n", and has spelled piranha "p-a-r-a-n-a". These are not typos, obviously. Would YOU believe someone who repeatedly misspells common words, particularly words any freshman bio student would see over and over, is a Ph.D.? Would YOU believe such a person was in fact well-read? And if you concluded that these lapses are inconsistent with a learned man, would you not discount the value of his posts? Point being, it seems you are willing to adjust your tolerance of a given level of behavior based on whether or not the actor is a Clinton supporter.

Posted by: gbooksdc | April 3, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't ANYONE remember how Mr. Massoud, the leader of the Northern Alliance against the Taliban, kindly accomodated a couple of jerks who "just wanted to take his picture" way back in 2002? A fanatic pair of suicide bombers whose camera exploded, killing the three people present and wounding others nearby.

In our Land of the Free, there are plenty of obsessed, mentally deranged individuals who'd revel in the notoriety of attempting to kill the first serious African-American contender for the U.S. Presidency.
Wake up, people!

Posted by: luise1 | April 3, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Jake DUMMY d:

You're getting old - kind of like Hillary's lies. Enough said.

Posted by: jennut1 | April 3, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Sushimorgan 06:15 do you consider the sentences below as a threat:
"hang the WITCH
burn in hades witch
you no good lying witch
you should die & go away"

It was posted by an Obama follower on CNN February 23th.

Posted by: Roy3 | April 3, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but obviously he gets protection. So many of you are seized with a profound hatred of Hillary Clinton. She needs protection more than any of the other two candidates.

Posted by: Roy3 | April 3, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Could Barack Hussein's irrational behavior possibly be linked to the "Other White Meat" he ate earlier?

It was the "Un-Clean" Spirits of the Proscribed Swine! ;~)

Posted by: rat-the | April 3, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

It was the "Un-Clean" Spirits of the Proscribed Swine! ;~)

Posted by: rat-the | April 3, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Hussein? Or Who's Sane?
That is the question.
Senator Obama, a man with such dignity, scholarship, and respect for the human condition should be treated as what he is and represents.
Our country needs you, Senator Obama.

Posted by: seashores1 | April 3, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Hussein? Or Who's Sane?
That is the question.
Our country needs you, Senator Obama.

Posted by: seashores1 | April 3, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hussein? Or Who's Sane?
That is the question.
Our country needs you, Senator Obama.

Posted by: seashores1 | April 3, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hussein? Or Who's Sane?
That is the question.
Our country needs you, Senator Obama.

Posted by: seashores1 | April 3, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hussein? Or Who's Sane?
That is the question.
Our country needs you, Senator Obama.

Posted by: seashores1 | April 3, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Hussein? Or Who's Sane?
That is the question.
Our country needs you, Senator Obama.

Posted by: seashores1 | April 3, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

No why should we be when so many of you are seized with a profound hatred of Hillary Clinton. She needs protection more than any of the other two candidates.

Posted by: Roy3 | April 3, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Does no one worry about some kook trying to kill Obama? This weirdo could have had an explosive in the camera. I shutter to see Obama so close to these people. He doesn't owe these flesh pressers a thing. They should respect and feel indebted to him for taking on this momentous task.
Would Ronald Reagan have taken a photo with that crazy who shot him? John Lennon did greet Mark David Chapman- remember?

Posted by: sushimorgan | April 3, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Watch the video. The guy trying to get the photo is a weasel - Obama says from start he knows the guy is just an ebay seller who wants the image to make some cash. YET Barack still listens to him, and concedes to talking the picture when hearing about his supposed teacher wife.

Cool under pressure. Supreme tact. Great stuff.

Secret Service needs to be more on the ball. Scary.

Posted by: shuff1 | April 3, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Obama was just brushing off the stupid white man like all white people should be. You folks are like dumb loyal pets and that is why Obama will win no matter what he does or how he acts. He is likely a muslim at heart and his preacher for years disses this country and we still have the power. HA!

Posted by: 7hundred | April 3, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I watched the video several times, and saw several things that annoyed me.

1. Obama not only seemed irritated but also displayed some arroganced towards the individual requesting the picture.

2. Secret Service personnel were negligent by allowing someone to get that close to Obama. That is how we lost a Kennedy canditate many years ago. The team that is protecting Obama should be removed and a big change of personnel should take place.

3.Obama showed a lack of charisma, tack and diplomacy when dealing with the situation at hand. His comment of you are wearing me out Bro was tasteless and showed a lack of control. How will he respond when a real situation arises? I can only speak for myself, and voice my own opinion, but Obama just is not Presidential Material. Sorry but that is exactly how I feel. Just too many questions about Obama have gone unanswered. Since the man did get that close, he should have allowed the picture, and let it go at that. I am confident if the would have been John F. Kennedy this would never had taken place. Because he was a people's president, and always showed his appreciation for his supporters on their level..

Getting away from the video, I would also like the opportunity to say that many people brought up the fact that Obama's middle name was Hussein. True he did not select this name, his parents chose the name for him, however, there may be more to the named then we are aware of. I have thought about that a great deal and we know his Father was a Muslim, and that alone may be why his middle name was chosen to be Hussein. But I don't feel comfortable not knowing the connection. What do we know about his Father, and did he have any connection the former leader of Iraq, or his followers?? Maybe his connection with the Muslims goes deeper than we care to know, or maybe it doesn't mean a thing except a name.(???)One last observation about Obama that disturbs me is that his association with some people like his Minister of 20 years, and others that do not seem to be in the best interest of this country. By saying nothing about his Ministers comments and listening to his guidance and teachings for over 20 years gives me a sick feeling about his ideals, and his religious beliefs.. When we were young and raising children of our own we were always taught by our parents you are like who you associate yourself with. Does that apply to Adults too? I think so, I say beware of who wears the sheeps clothing who or what is on the inside may give us cause of concern. We need someone in the white house we can trust, and hopefully he will represent the people and not any other government or political group. The choice is ours, please lets be right and choose the right person.

Posted by: rgtgrandpa | April 3, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

JakeD: "JakeD: "States have plenty of valid reasons to prefer marriage between one man and one woman -- I think a Constitutional Amendment would at least clear up any confusion too -- we give marriage a position of prominence because it supplies new members to our community, it supplies a household that is the most important educator for those new members, along with all the other rules about inheritance, visitation rights, adoptions, support, tax laws, etc. All of that is completely secular."

And it grants "special rights" to one class of individuals (heterosexuals) while restricting them to another. Your argument was that you objected to "special rights" being granted to one group, so where's the outrage?

Your citation above seems to argue that marriage is ultimately "all about the children." But homosexuals raise children too. And their children suffer unnecessarily because their parents don't possess the same "special rights" of the preferred heterosexual class, especially after the death of the blood parent (or alternatively, the sole adoptee parent when the child is adopted). Legal recognition of homosexual marriage would end this discrimination.

If I were to marry, I would enjoy all the attendant legal privileges of that union regardless of whether my wife and I ever had children, save for those directly related to childrearing. How does this benefit society any more than a marriage between two people of the same sex would?

If you think there's something "wrong" or "perverse" with homosexuality, at least have the guts to just say so. After all, blind ignorant bigotry seems to be fashionable in many quarters. There are, for example, some here who try to make every argument for voting against Obama or Hillary except the one they feel most deeply, which is that we shouldn't vote for a black man or a woman, respectively. I don't attribute those prejudices to everyone arguing against either candidate, but it's obvious from their posts that those folks are here among us in larger numbers than America should still have at this point. If you think bigotry against homosexuals is any less offensive to American ideals, so be it.

Now on to another thread...

Posted by: whatmeregister | April 3, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

whatmeregister:

I certainly don't have the case cites handy to give you any scholarly brief on the subject, but (bottom line) States have plenty of valid reasons to prefer marriage between one man and one woman -- I think a Constitutional Amendment would at least clear up any confusion too -- we give marriage a position of prominence because it supplies new members to our community, it supplies a household that is the most important educator for those new members, along with all the other rules about inheritance, visitation rights, adoptions, support, tax laws, etc. All of that is completely secular.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

For all of you folks that think Senator Obama should have let this man take his picture (a mere few seconds of this time) should think about all the others wanting the same opportunity. If he gives one persom the time how does it stop it from becoming a photo op for all the folks present? One of the on duty Secret Service agents should at the very least be given a slap on the hand.

Posted by: mrmc23320 | April 3, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

JakeD: "No one said this is Barack HUSSEIN Obama losing his cool -- it gives us a rare glimpse into what it would be like when he does -- just like how Bill JEFFERSON Clinton grew red-faced as he talked about his expectation that Richardson would stay neutral ; ) "

Well, considering that Sen. McCain once angrily threw my former boss out of his office (and with far less restraint than Sen. Obama showed in his encounter) simply because he and our photographer were taking too much time setting up their camera angles for a cover shot, I have no problem preferring Obama's rational temperament over that of McCain's.

You are correct about Bill, though. He's been looking less and less presidential with each red-faced rant.

Posted by: whatmeregister | April 3, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Question?
If John McCain wins the race how long will he stay healthy or live maybe 2 or 3 years and how old is this man ?
Say what..!
74 yrs old??!!
we already know he has some medical issues from the war...
Things that make you say hmmm.

Posted by: myzstikal | April 3, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

thron55: "Btw, please enlighten as to what 'special rights for homosexuals' means. I didn't know that gays (or most other minority groups) were asking for 'special rights.' I thought they were asking for the right not be discriminated in employment, housing etc. In other words, 'equal rights.' "

JakeD: "Same-sex marriage, for starters."

JakeD,

This topic would probably be best discussed in some other thread, but how does being able to marry the adult person you love and you want to spend the rest of your life with constitute a "special right"? Aside from religious concerns, a marriage contract, from a legal standpoint, is a limited partenrship between two people who are competent to enter into it. In no other form of contract that I know of is it allowable to specify the genders of the persons entering into it. So, as a Stanford Law School graduate, how do you justify from a legal (not religious) standpoint the practice of the government of discriminating against homosexuals and granting this "special right" of marriage solely to heterosexual persons?

Just curious whether you have any legitimate basis for this apparent discrimination. (Legitimacy in this case being an admittedly subjective term.)

Posted by: whatmeregister | April 3, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The Secret Service should have stepped in sooner simply because of the kind of world we live in today.

However, Obama's response was inappropriate; or perhaps more accurately, we are seeing the real arrogant, egotistical Obama.

Posted by: Kansas28 | April 3, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

This is similar to when Obama was campaigning in Kenya with his friend Dick Morris on behalf of BO's cousin, the leader of the Opposition, Raila Odinga, and they refused to shake hands... In Iowa after speaking with Condi Rice BO wrote a message for the President and was ignored as he was seen to be interfering in the Kenyan election; post-election burning of Christian churches and massacres by Odinga's Islamist-Marxist party in December ensued.

It was known that Obama's famous (Luo tribe) cousin Odingo wanted to instal Sharia Law throughout Kenya if he had been successful in election, and had signed an Islamist MOA, advocating use of hijab, full cover and new 'islamist morality' for women. The majority of Kenyans (90% are still Christian). But in this case, BO is just idionsyncratic and I guess it was his right that he felt this was just another one of those "GARLIC-NOSED EUROPEANS" his Pastor warned against him about during Sunday catechism.

Perhaps BO was afraid of the symbolism, or other attributes, of garlic, especially since he was at the Italian Market? Ethnic-Europeans, as we all know now, are certainly not one his mentor's favorite groups of people. This presidential candidate seems was only protecting Himself after all!...

Posted by: MSakel | April 3, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MSakel | April 3, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

pdxgeek and whatmeregister:

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

pdxgeek: "If this is Barack Obama losing his cool, then this is exactly the person I want for president."

You said it perfectly.

Posted by: whatmeregister | April 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

thorn55:

"A second-rate strategy that befits your second-rate mind. A true patriot would want the best candidates running on either [sic] and the democratic process."

You've never heard of "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu?

"Yeah right, which is why you now have so much time to be posting comments here."

I'm retired, with plenty of time to waste here, replying to the likes of you.

"Sounds like a good job description for a Rush Limbaugh clone."

Without the prescription painkillers though.

"Btw, please enlighten as to what "special rights for homosexuals" means. I didn't know that gays (or most other minority groups) were asking for "special rights". I thought they were asking for the right not be discriminated in employment, housing etc. In other words, "equal rights".

Same-sex marriage, for starters.

"Which makes you either a liar or a fool; but I am willing to stipulate that you may be both."

Please tell me ONE thing I'm afraid of.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

JakeD wrote:
"I simply want the weakest possible candidate up against McCain"

A second-rate strategy that befits your second-rate mind. A true patriot would want the best candidates running on either and the democratic process.

JakeD wrote:

"I graduated at the top of my Stanford Law School class"

Yeah right, which is why you now have so much time to be posting comments here.

JakeD wrote:

I disagree with Barack HUSSEIN Obama on Foreign Policy, including Iraq specifically but also how best to defend Homeland Security; Gun Control (especially the PERSONAL Right to Bear Arms); Budget & Economy; Education Crime; Government & Tax Reform; Health Care; Drugs; Free Trade; Civil Rights; Social Security; Immigration; Environmental Policy; Human Embryonic Stem-Cell Research; Special Rights for Homosexuals; and Abortion."

Sounds like a good job description for a Rush Limbaugh clone. Btw, please enlighten as to what "special rights for homosexuals" means. I didn't know that gays (or most other minority groups) were asking for "special rights". I thought they were asking for the right not be discriminated in employment, housing etc. In other words, "equal rights".

JakeD(uh):
"...I don't fear anything..."

Posted by: thorn55 | April 3, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I was the most disturbed by the "Brother" phrase.

Condescending, Patronizing, Insinuating, Offensive and Insulting all rolled into one Comment!

"Brother" indeed!? :-(

Posted by: rat-the | April 3, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Ouch, jk5432, that hurts -- I guess you are "ignoring" me though -- if anyone else wants to point out a single post on this thread that is not "intelligent" I would love to discuss that (even if that is, technically, off-topic).

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Folks, haven't you'all figured out that JakeD's last name is Troll? He uses Obama's middle name to annoy people and get them to acknowledge his (JakeD's) existence by responding to those posts, which gives him the opportunity to respond again, increasing the aggravation level, all the while laughing at those who couldn't help themselves; he uses other candidates middle names to attempt to show he's an equal opportunity twit, not that he's just trying to get the goat's of Obama supporters, but the intent has always been obvious because there's nothing even vaguely controversial about the other middle names.

Bottom line is that it's a so what? issue. Ignore those posts; the more you respond, the more he'll keep doing it, just like my kids did when they were 2.

It's too bad he feels the need to do this in every blog because he actually can post intelligently and on topic when he feels like it - he just doesn't seem to feel like it that often.

Posted by: jk5432 | April 3, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

clmnorth:

I didn't write that article in the New York Times -- David Brooks did.

vassiewb:

I never said Hillary's "twisting a llittle" -- I wouldn't vote for her in a million years.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Quite comical Lol :) I predict the funnymen, Dave Letterman and Jay Leno will have fun with this one. And I see a SNL spoof coming to Lol!

OBAMA '08!

Posted by: pixie_chic_83 | April 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

JakeD -

I can't imagine wasting time reading much of anything else you have to say. It's obvious where you're coming from, and by now it's obvious where conservatives want to go. I'm not interested in your posts, I'm interested in a return to sanity, foreign and domestic, fiscal and moral. The Republican party offers none of it, or we'd have seen it by now.

Get it straight - the right wing has had alomost 8 years in the White House and 10 in the Congress. Anybody out there under 7 figures better off than they were 10 years ago?

Posted by: clmnorth | April 3, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

And on the subject of the article and video:
I think Barack handled the situation correctly. This guy was a creep and he wouldn't go away. I had to laugh, I personally thought it was funny the way he seemed annoyed but kept his cool. That guy is lucky the secret servicemen didn't tackle him for getting that close to Barack over and over again. If something like that happened after Barack was already president, that creep would have gotten bopped upside his head. But he felt he could get away with behaving that way because all eyes are watching Barack throughout the end of this thing.

Posted by: pixie_chic_83 | April 3, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@cmsatown:

I totally agree with you. It's as if they think Barack came out of the womb demanding that he be named after his father. He was given that name by his parents, he didn't choose it and it has nothing to do with his capability of being the next POTUS. If somebody had named a rose a 'shoe' would that have diminished the fact that it is a flower? And would it be any less than what it is? No of course not. A name is a name, period that's all it is and it is a name that he didn't choose for himself. But of course all the morons who seem to think it is an issue can't understand this logic.

Posted by: pixie_chic_83 | April 3, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

To JakeD:
Hilliary tells hard lies and you call this "twisting a llittle?" She was caught hard down lying on tape and by account of many reputable witnesses! I am rolling all over the floor while laughing my behind off at this one! Haaaaaaa! Haaaaaaaaaaa! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! OH WAIT! AMERICA BEING IN SUCH DEEP SH...T WITH SUCH DELUSIONAL CITIZENS IS NOT REALLY SO FUNNY.....JESUS HELP US!

Posted by: vassiewb | April 3, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

clmnorth:

Did you read the David Brook's article I just posted from the New York Times?

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

cmsatown:

I graduated at the top of my Stanford Law School class. How about you?

cassk1:

Yes, I have noticed dissent, particularly from the Maverick running as the next GOP nominee. So has David Brooks (New York Times March 28, 2008):

"Barack Obama [and Hillary Clinton] says: "John McCain is determined to carry out four more years of George Bush's failed policies." Obama is a politician, so it's normal that he'd choose to repeat the lines that some of his followers want to hear. But before people buy that argument, I'd ask them to read three speeches.

The first was delivered by McCain on Sept. 28, 1983. The Reagan administration was seeking Congressional authorization to support the deployment of U.S. Marines in Lebanon. McCain, a freshman legislator, decided to oppose his president and party.

McCain argued that Lebanese society, as it existed then, could not be stabilized and unified by American troops. He made a series of concrete observations about the facts on the ground. Lebanon was in a state of de facto partition. The Lebanese Army would not soon be strong enough to drive out the Syrians. The American presence would not intimidate the Syrians into negotiating.

"I do not foresee obtainable objectives in Lebanon." He concluded. "I believe the longer we stay, the more difficult it will be to leave, and I am prepared to accept the consequences of our withdrawal."

This was not the speech of a man who thinks military force is the answer to every problem. It was the speech of one who conforms policies to facts. And it came a month before a terrorist attack that killed 241 Americans.

The second speech was delivered on Nov. 5, 2003. This was not a grand strategy speech. It was a critique of the execution of existing U.S. policy.

First, McCain wondered about the Pentagon's publicity campaign in Iraq: "When, in the course of days, we increase by thousands our estimate of the numbers of Iraqis trained, it sounds like somebody is cooking the books."

He then pointed out that the U.S. had not committed sufficient troops. He called for a counterinsurgency strategy in which U.S. forces would actually hold secure territory. "Simply put," he said, "there does not appear to be a strategy behind our current force levels in Iraq, other than to preserve the illusion that we have sufficient forces in place to meet our objectives."

He excoriated the arrogance of Paul Bremer and the Coalition Provisional Authority: "The C.P.A. seems to think that all wisdom is made in America, and that the Iraqi people were defeated, not liberated."

This was the speech of a man, adjusting to changing circumstances, who was calling on the administration to adjust quickly as well.

The third McCain speech was delivered on Wednesday. It is as personal, nuanced and ambitious a speech as any made by a presidential candidate this year.

McCain noted that we are not only fighting a war on terror. The world is seeing a growing split between liberal democracies and growing autocracies. We are seeing a world in which great power rivalries - with China, Russia and Iran - have to be managed and soothed.

Moreover, the U.S. is not the sole hegemon. Power is widely distributed among many rising nations. McCain's core purpose in the speech was to revive the foreign policy tradition that has jumped parties but that has been associated with people like Theodore Roosevelt, Henry Stimson, Dean Acheson, John Kennedy and Ronald Reagan.

In this tradition, a strong America is the key to world peace, but America's role is as a leading player in an international system. America didn't defeat communism, McCain said Wednesday, the American-led global community did. This is the tradition that Robert Kagan of the Carnegie Endowment has been describing for a decade.

McCain offered to build new pillars for that system - a League of Democracies, a new nuclear nonproliferation regime and a successor to the Kyoto treaty. In stabilizing Asia and the Middle East, he would rely more on democracies like Turkey, India, Israel and Iraq, and less on Mubarak and Musharraf.

Unlike the realists, McCain believes other nations have to be judged according to how they treat their own citizens. Unlike the Bush administration in its first few years, he believes global treaties cannot solely be evaluated according to a narrow definition of the American interest. The U.S. also has to protect the fabric of the international system.

McCain opened his speech with a description of his father leaving home on the day of Pearl Harbor, and then being gone for much of the next four years. He harkened back repeatedly to the accomplishments of the Truman administration.

In so doing, he signaled that the foreign policy debate of the coming months will be very different from the one of the past six years. Anybody who thinks McCain is merely continuing the Bush agenda is not paying attention."

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Remember this: The right wing (now WRONG for at least 10 years) wants to talk and argue about everything but the issues facing this country to distract from what they have done. Middle Name not Smith? Sure! Might be less than patient after months and months of travel and campaigning? You bet! Out of context comments? Oh yeah! Anything!

The fact is, four years of McCain is four more years of Bush...the arrogance in the face of need, the occupation of another country for purposes of making money, the cronyism, the lying, the ignorance of all things presidential, the give-aways to the incredibly rich, the loss of our civil rights and privacy and more.

Of COURSE these folks want to stir things up by any means they can... They have NOTHING!

Posted by: clmnorth | April 3, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I notice a lot of pro-Hillary posters using Obama's middle name Hussein like they're being funny or cool. It's so utterly 5th grade to criticize someone for their name. But then again Clinton does get the less educated voters..go figure.

Posted by: cmsatown | April 3, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"Obama does have a new kind of politics. The kind that does not deign to even speak to an average person on the street. That's something -- "

Really? have you noticed much dissent or even questioning of the bushie rallys? How about those fundraisers complete with loyalty oaths?

Meet the new boss,
OBAMA08.
cassk

Posted by: cassk1 | April 3, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I think it shows the real Obama personality. He was not being criticized. He was being complimented. It would have taken a second, a smile, and a thankyou. Instead Obama was arragant, cranky, intollerant, and bullheaded. Is this how he would react in a 3 am phone call?

Posted by: rifrif | April 3, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

pollyxhe:

You're welcome.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Luke2 and goegan:

At least I didn't post at 2:42 and 3:22 AM.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

JakeD, you're the only one telling the truth. Thank you for standing up all the time.

Obama, rude, rude, rude. Arrogantely rude.

I was at a Hillary's event, she took pictures with everyone with big smiles.

Maybe the one with such a "weird" middle name doesn't like taking many pictures because of the religion.

Posted by: pollyxhe | April 3, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I have watched Obama and the man wanting a picture with him, several times on the ADORE Obama channels. Obama has let his fame take control, much like the puke stars of the media. If he, Hillary and others only knew how much ire, their hourly prattle of their dreamed up experiences affects millions to a point of desperation, just knowing there has to be someone; better than those thrown at us like a television reality show. Money buys advertisements not trust. If only the money spent on elections went to the National Debt instead of an overpaid snake oil salesmen then, we would not elect so many snakes in the grass politicians.

Posted by: springco1 | April 3, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The guy was persistent and rude and he was handled as he should have been. Must be a slow news day because this seems like a non-story.

Posted by: cmsatown | April 3, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Goddesscon2001 (09:26 AM) wrote: "Obama had every right to "lose his cool" though to me he didn't appear to..he just told the guy he was getting worn down...
This also proves that our Secret Service men and women need to be taught how to keep potential psychos far away from all of the candidates.
Safety first!"

I partly agree. However I cannot understand why Obama didn´t want to give that man his photo. I couldn´t see that there where any kind of threat.

This sentence was written by an Obama fan and approved by CNN: "YOU SHOULD DIE & go away". To me this a real threat and my opinion is that Hillary Clinton needs help by Secret Service men more than any other candidate! Besides this threat was posted on CNN, one of your largest media. Since I am not an American - can anyone explain to me if this i to be regarded as a threat or not? Please answer.

Posted by: royrichard | April 3, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

We really need to vote against this man. I pray to God he will not sit in my White House with that Michelle and that Rev. White. Obama says it is okay for Wright to be a racist and to hate this democracy and curse it. Obama says it is okay for him to do cocaine. He says it is okay if his wife is not proud of her country after she got more from it than anyone I know.

Posted by: katherine11 | April 3, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

This has all the trappings of a set-up from either the Clinton or right-wing school of dirty tricks. I'm betting on the Clinton's. It's just too pat and predictable. "Average" Joe with an innocent request - pushes it - keeps pushing it until he gets response from Barack...pushes it some more until the media starts aiming their recorders and cameras at the incident...makes the rounds of the newspapers, net, talk shows, CNN...suddenly it's "Arrogant Obama". Folks, this one is just too transparent.

Posted by: dshreefer | April 3, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I wonder whether Hussein would have been as rude and uncooperative had the seeker been black. Does The Light really think a picture with this seeker would be salable on ebay? What a d***.

Posted by: norconian | April 3, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pdxgeek | April 3, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

for the people who keep saying what is wrong with taking the picture, how would you feel if you went on ebay and saw a picture of yourself with some lunatic for sale? and then the headlines will read "barack obama sells his pictures on ebay" you people really crack me up, never ever say racism doesnt exist in this country.....i love that computers give racist people the ability to hide behind computer screens and spew racism off their finger tips....the same people who probably have black friends and smile in the faces of black people.....too funny

Posted by: tbutler201 | April 3, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha. You tell him Barack!

Posted by: JohnY63 | April 3, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Washington Post and Washigntonpost.com is such a useless paper. Rather than cover important issues like Barack's interview on Hardball yesterday, you waste time and energy devoting to news stories to a stupid encounter with an eBay dealer.

THIS IS GUTTER JOURNALISM. JOURNALISM AT IT'S WORST. SHAME ON YOU WASHINGTON POST.

Posted by: vicnobun | April 3, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

At least I didn't post at 2:42 and 3:22 PM.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

What an idiot - once he said 'yes' to the picture he should have at least smiled for the camera. Now the guy with the wife who teaches fourth grade has the only picture in the world of Bam-bam not smiling which is probably worth big bucks! Good score southy...

Posted by: hariseldonsr | April 3, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me...in the end of it all this guy got more then what he asked for...not only did he get photographed (photo journalist pool) with Obama...now there is video as well...plenty of evidence for his family..plus it makes this guy look like a stalker..
Safety first!
Like I said though..in the end Ebay guy got what he wanted..

Posted by: goddesscon2001 | April 3, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

So anybody want to bet that total fraud
and pathological liar immature pathetic
Barack Hussein Obama also would start to
whine about the time the tough hard nose
Russian leaders jump all over Obama case or
the North Korean Nutcase throws a temper
tantrum at Obama as well? No way will I
ever vote for a total loser Democrat village idiot like Barack Obama for President of the US and Commander in Chief
of the US Armed Forces. I hope all these
out of touch with reality Obama Cultist
Kool Aid Drinkers Sober Up before Election
Day 2008 and realize Barack Obama conned
them just like George W Bush did in 2000
and again in 2004. Oh did I mention that
Bush also like Obama did lots of cocaine
and booze as well? Just say No to Obama.

Posted by: redheadclaudine | April 3, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

If Obama didn't have the grace or maturity to deal with this guy, how's he going to handle McCain and the GOP?

Obama is an inexperienced and naive disaster.

Posted by: niksiz | April 3, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I am glad Obama has the sense to not start something with some guy on the street that seems like a jerk.

I feel that Obama handled it well, expressing the truth to the guy - he was getting annoyed - but still compromising. I feel that is the way I want my President to be.

Maybe putting literacy to work will help some of the anti-Obama people out there. You hope this will get more attention? Do you really need to put a negative spin on everything? I am not too worried - eventually you grumpy old farts will all die off, and we won't have work worry about politics of perception.

By the way - with a middle name like SIDNEY, McCain may as well just dress in a tutu and wear makeup (anyone for Dancing Queen??). Maybe he can get more of RODHAM'S votes that way. (wake up, perceptuous ones)

Posted by: jennut1 | April 3, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Okay, what happened to today's WAPO lead
Barack Hussein Obama Story,"Obama Bowls"
or, did it become "Barack Obama Whines
Loudly About People Taking His Picture?"
So is it any wonder why blue collar workers
will not buy that arrogamce and pathological lies and massive Ego of loser
Barack Hussein Obama anymore?

Posted by: Ralphinphnx | April 3, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

About Secret Service

After studying American media I have found that trendsetting journalists in a patronizing and unappetizing way have decided to make it impossible for Hillary Clinton to fulfill her campain. Her main opponents are neigther Obama nor McCain. No, CNN for example even reinforce this behavior by allowing threatening and contemptuous and probably unlawful comments from Obamas supporters. The only positive result of this kind of acting is that it tells a lot about some of Barack Obamas followers. This is one example CNN February 23rd:

"Hang the WITCH
burn in hades witch
you no good lying witch
YOU SHOULD DIE & go away"

Posted by: royrichard | April 3, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Goegan,

What's even scarier is that you're documenting the time that Jake D is online. I agree with the post that it's odd everyone has all this information on the suspected Ebayer. And so what? Obama has reacted to people like this before earlier in the campaign.

Posted by: BJLeone | April 3, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

This event is interesting because it shows the true face of the great Uniter. This man has also told media that "I'd Hire Gore". This is an insult. My opinion is that it should be the other way around. Gore: I´d maybe hire Obama, but I am not so sure.

Posted by: royrichard | April 3, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

So as Vice President Dickey Cheney would
surely say about this one,"SO?"..WOW that
phony arrogant power mad King Barack the
First Hussein Obama don't want anyone to
take his picture,huh? So right on normal
Obama Schedule old Barack Hussein Obama
starts Whining About It! What A Loser!

Posted by: SandraLong1974 | April 3, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

I just posted this in Chris's blog also.

I was glad to see the Secret Service guys really watching this guy's hand and arm movements.

HOWEVER, this dance with the guy (who he could not have known was an EBay seller, and just what is so wrong with someone in Pennsylvania economy using EBay for income ??) would have been easily avoided by just standing for a photo quickly.

Here's an exercise. How would we have felt if this had been a video with, instead, Hillary ?

Transcript from the pool report
(with Hillary's name replacing Barack's
and vice versa)

Run In #1

Man: Senator, Can I have a quick picture with you?
(Clinton refuses to take a picture)

Run In #2

Man: "Senator, Can I get a picture with you?"

Clinton: "You are wearing me out..."

Man: "I got one with Barack Obama and I got one with McCain, come on Senator that's not right."

Run in #3:

Man: "Senator, can I please, a quick one?

Clinton: "No, you know what, no."

Man: "Can I just say something to you real fast?"

Clinton: "Yeah, you can"

Man: "I had one with Barack Obama, had one with Senator McCain."

Clinton: "I am sure you do. Because when I was trying to talk to some kids - and I know ... look ...

Man: "No, my wife is a school teacher and she was there, she had to go back and that wasn't right what wont you just take a picture with me, I'm not asking you for a autograph its for my family."

Clinton: "Yeah well whatever. Just take it. I won't be smiling. Because you're wearing me out. ....No no, you've been really rude about it. Just take a shot."

Posted by: Andrys | April 3, 2008 5:39 AM | Report abuse

JakeD,

On April 2 you were online for about 11 hours (2 PM to 1 AM) acting out the obsessive-compulsive disorder from which you suffer, the disorder that compels you to think primarily about the middle names of presidential candidates.

JakeD, There are many different theories about the causes of obsessive-compulsive disorder. The majority of researchers believe that there is some type of abnormality in the neurotransmitter serotonin, among other possible psychological or biological abnormalities. Recent research has revealed a possible genetic mutation that could be the cause of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

JakeD, I urge you to seek help for this disorder. Your problems are likely physiolgical and genetic, and are not your fault. See your local mental health professional to explore your treatment options. God bless you and good luck in your struggle.

Posted by: goegan | April 3, 2008 3:22 AM | Report abuse

"With all of the secret service around if this man had presented any threat he would not have been that close." chersplace

Tell that to the family of Robert Kennedy. He was shot behind the ear at close range in a crowd of "supporters," with secret service all around him.

Obama has never been rude at any of these events. He simply didn't feel comfortable with this person shoving his angry face into him. The man had been stalking him for several hours and was obviously agitated and disturbed. I'm very surprised that the secret service even let him get within touching distance Of Senator Obama. Hopefully they won't let it happen again.

Posted by: Luke2 | April 3, 2008 2:53 AM | Report abuse

JakeD is a 76 year old curmudgeon McCain die hard who lives on these message boards and sticks his nose in at every opportunity to smear Barack Obama. He's a loser with obviously no life.
Even the far left liberal Sean Hannity backed and supported Obama in his rebuff of the very angry jerk who was obviously stalking Obama.

As soon as a person shows anger and agitation, intelligent people know to steer clear of them. These type of personalities do not belong anywhere near a presidential candidate. I'm surprised that the secret service even let the creep make contact with Senator Obama. He was literally in his face.

Posted by: Luke2 | April 3, 2008 2:42 AM | Report abuse

This guy is nothing compared to some of the anti-Obama fanatics on these blogs.

Posted by: Logan6 | April 3, 2008 2:39 AM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for this obsessive guy. If I was white and saw Barack Obama coming, I'd run as fast as I could the other way. I believe in civil rights and America, A concept that Barack Obama is unfamiliar with. He, and his wife are racist anti- America and anti-israel haters.

Posted by: brigittepj | April 3, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I swear, after reading these posts I think that if there was video of Obama robbing a bank his supporters would say he was taking the money to put it somewhere safe.
Are people really that gullible.

Posted by: chersplace | April 3, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Are people really that gullible.

Posted by: chersplace | April 3, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

gata1296

That is the whole point. With all of the secret service around if this man had presented any threat he would not have been that close. Obama was rude and the rest of the story is probably a spin to cover up that fact.

No-one gets that close to these nominees by chance. The secret service sweep the areas and everyone is checked before they even get close.

Posted by: chersplace | April 3, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

oh gosh, my worst fear is coming true--am i the only one who finds this man's persistent suspect? even worse, why was he allowed to come so close to obama? with security like that, obama might as well not have any!!

the back and forth looked bad, but to say that obama was mccain-esque is false. he was calm and curt..anyway, i am surprised this made the news, but i am even more surprised that hrc and mccain supporters see nothing wrong with this whole scene. i am no hrc supporter but i don't want to see her assassinated either. in my humble opinion, obama has been marked and from the consensus here, some of you almost wish this man was the sniper that missed hrc in bosnia.

Posted by: gata1296 | April 3, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Nope, dcdoug, I am still awake.

Posted by: JakeD | April 3, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I would like to know how they had all that information about the man. How did they know he was trying to get a picture to sell on ebay? If Obama had let him have the picture taken initially there would have been no reason for him to follow him. It sounds like a crock. I think the young man just got on Obamas nerves because he wasn't part of the group Obama was trying to visit with. I thought Obama was extremely rude.
Truthfully, even if the guy wanted to sell the picture on ebay, why deny him that.

Posted by: chersplace | April 3, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

You kidding? The guy dressed as Batman walking around Six Flags wouldn't take a picture with this whiny loser... never mind a presidential candidate.

Posted by: scharb | April 3, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

The Secret Service saw this guy stalking Obama and they let him get right into his face? It's like a Reno 911 episode, except it would be tragic if Obama got assasinated.

Posted by: Renu1 | April 2, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha, Obama is Perfect! FACE!

ONTO THE WHITE HOUSE !!!

Obama '08

Obama '08

Obama '08

Obama has more tact than most. What SHOULD he have done? SMILE? Oh, Whitey likes a nice ol Smile, now, don't ya?

Too Bad. Dude got served and rightly so!

Obama OH Eight, BABY! Yes!

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | April 2, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

jaked must be off his meds.He has altogether too much time on his hands and too much hatred to be just a republican.Sounds like he has been drinking the koolade with Rush and crowd.Take a deep breath and hold it at least untill 1/20/09.It will be all over then.

Posted by: gonfrmtn | April 2, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

If Barack Obama can lose his cool over something as insignificant as an "annoying" person wanting a picture with him and/or his autograph, that makes me wonder how he would respond under pressure to foreign dictators who are able to do more harm than just being annoying.

In addition to possible concerns with Barack Obama's temperament, I believe Democrats should be more concerned with regards to the Wright scandal. It is my belief that when the American people realize that Barack Obama continued to be a member and attending Rev. Wright's sermons while subjecting his wife and children to his sermons. The fact that Barack Obama never left the church years ago will hurt his chances in a general election.

Posted by: InSearchofTruth | April 2, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

The Secret Service shouldn't have let this guy get this close this many times. Obama was extremely patient. Why is this a story?

Posted by: willallensworth | April 2, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I cannot even believe that this occurrence was newsworthy. I agree with Laverty above. Giving space to this "story" debases the Post. Shame on the paper. I am not against criticism of ANY CANDIDATE. But this is NOT NEWSWORTHY. It only provides people with chances to communicate divisiveness and hate. Let's talk about ISSUES. Like, the 5 year plus war in Iraq, the economy and possible looming recession, check out your next bill when you fill up, how about healthcare. What did you pay for your last prescription? Well, I can tell you mine. I got one inhaler for asthma, ONE. Guess how much, this was after my Blue Cross kicked in. $100. Yes, $100 for one inhaler. That is what is on my mind when I choose a candidate for President. Who is the best leader to help the average person with these issues? Think about it!!! May the next leader help us all because our nation is in a true crisis on many fronts. I pray for the best President we have had in decades to be elected.

Posted by: jjlachance | April 2, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE it. Perfect.

What more could you ask for? Obama is accessible, firm, and gracious.

I'm glad he called the guy rude, cause he is.

"You're wearing me out." Perfect. That shows he's no pushover. Love it.

Gonna be a Great President, but more importantly, a Leader. Big difference. President lasts 8 years, max. Look at Bill Clinton. Disappeared for 8 years, now he wants to jump back in it. Obama is a true Leader who, President or not, will work to better America.

"Just take the shot." I wont be smiling.
Awesome.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | April 2, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

OMG are you hate mongers tired of the Rev. Wright already? Come now the swiftboaters to pick at every day to day situation that arises. Atwater would be proud of you.

Posted by: coloradodog | April 2, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey folks wake up. How many average people have had any chance whatsoever to get close to our current President? How many times does he have screened audiences and preplanned speeches? Think about the time he spoke to those troops in Iraq and the questions were rehearsed. Please don't waste our time with saying this makes Obama's temperament questionable. If that is the case, then where were you through the last 7 years of fake news, planted reporters during Press Conferences, THINK JEFF GANNON, and "news spots" put out by a Government representatives- THINK the report on No Child Left Behind. How often does Bush just talk with regular folks with NO STAGING? Check out the UK and how the candidates for Prime Minister come up against regular people who ask questions that are not screened in any way. Some are quite blunt and to the point. No where to run, no where to hide, When have you ever seen the man in the White House ever talk to the man in the street without the whole event being staged. That man was overbearing in his request for a picture. At the same time, do we expect our leaders to be perfect. Well good luck it ain't gonna happen. All of these candidates have to be worn thin day after day, all of them. No matter what party. Stop making this so political. It isn't even a news story for heavens sakes. Why is our political coverage so intent on finding the candidates foibles? Why are we not more focused on issues? Every candidate has their weaknesses. Our political system is so broken and this kind of thing only makes the cracks deeper.

Posted by: jjlachance | April 2, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

This is from 1995, after Obama returned from the Million Man March and decided to run for the State Senate-

We have no shortage of moral fervor," said Obama. "We have some wonderful preachers in town--preachers who continue to inspire me--preachers who are magnificent at articulating a vision of the world as it should be. In every church on Sunday in the African-American community we have this moral fervor; we have energy to burn.

Rev Wright, Minister Farrakhan, Al Sharpton? Wonder who he's talking about and how the "world should be"?

Posted by: brigittepj | April 2, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I have generally admired the Post's balanced coverage of the campaign, at times more even-handed than the NYT. I generally follow the NYT comments now and then, but usually not the Post's. I am somewhat surprised both at the reporting of this exchange with Senator Obama and for the generally disappointing level of the readership responses. If anyone takes the time to look at the video clip, Senator Obama is certainly within the bounds of civility - don't forget also, he should not be judged by the standards of a kindergarten teacher addressing a persistent student. This is more than just a slow news day - something is off the mark both with this reporting and with many of the responses (even apart from the positively absurd insistence on emphasis Obama's middle name).

Posted by: laverty | April 2, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank God that idiot JakeD finally went to sleep!

Posted by: dcdoug | April 2, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

"From the shadows will come the Chosen One
To unify the Realm"

all these posts about "the One" reminded me of a book I read, like, a year ago. pretty funny

Posted by: wycheg | April 2, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

i'm not just lol-ing, i'm rofl-ing! you ebay too? small world, me too! congrats on breaking the record for most exclamation points in a blog post. next challenge: finding a new noun to describe Obama- prick's getting old.

Posted by: uvastudent | April 2, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

This is a story about temperament? Obama was curt, but hardly rude--unlike the man pestering him. Do we want politicians to suck up to everybody, no matter how obnoxious and inappropriate?

Posted by: holyn3111 | April 2, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Obama is clearly a prick! What politician tries to pull a stunt like that on the campaign trail in front of the press? Maybe he thought the press wouldn't make anything of it since he's gotten off easy as of late! AND COME ON! What would a picture of the man and Mr. Obama be worth on Ebay? LOL I mean the picture is really only good to him. I'd like the Obama people explain that one to me! I am an Ebayer myself and material like that wouldn't fetch a dime! It's a personal momento... stock photos of Mr. Obama exist everywhere if all someone wanted was a picture of him. He was just clearly being himself, Mr. Prick Obama! No other way to describe that one! I guess it's hard to contain all that arrogance either that or he's being worn down by a 60 year old woman! LOL

Posted by: dbcarr1 | April 2, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Ha, ha, ha! Another reason I wouldn't be able to run for president - I would have decked the guy already!

Posted by: dailyfare | April 2, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The Secret Service gave Barack Obama the earliest start date for protection that any presidential candidate has ever received.

I am alarmed though that they would allow this guy to get so close to Obama. From a security standpoint, it seems oblivious to the situation of Arthur Bremer in the parking lot in Laurel in 1972, or for that matter John Hinckley lurking in the Washington Hilton in 1981. Neither of those guys "pressed the flesh" with a candidate/president like this creep did today.

Posted by: vuac | April 2, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree with guardsmanbass, who seems to be the only sane person posting here: "Obama really should have just let the guy take a quick picture at the very beginning, E-bay seller or not. The guy was a pest, to be sure, but Obama handled it extremely poorly."

The man says he got photos with Clinton and McCain. That tells you something about the professionalism, or courtesy, of those two candidates, doesn't it?

Posted by: dotellen | April 2, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama handled this with absolute class. He had every reason to be annoyed by this whinning adult who had interfered with Obama's time with children earlier. Obama, appropriately, told him he was being "rude." Obama, ultimately, said he'd take picture with the guy -- overly generous, even though he said he would not smile. If anthing, this reinforces positives about Obama's level temperament. It IS scary how docile the Secret Service was. Hopefully, they had conducted a consent pat-down on him earlier and kept an eagle eye on him before he got so close to Obama the second and third time.

Posted by: rej123 | April 2, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

john SIDNEY mccain? that's a little too close to Sydney for me- I don't want any Aussie in power; they're all descended from ex-cons. hopefully they've evolved. though perhaps you don't believe in evolution, rendering that a moot point.

Posted by: uvastudent | April 2, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

This guy was just a nuisance and Obama should learn to deal with it. It a professional were being paid to badger him (like the person whom the DNC sponsored to go after George Allen), Obama would have lost his cool much sooner.

Posted by: reston75 | April 2, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Obama (and this holds whether I did or did not vote for him) was being harassed by this CREEP. The Secret Service, in my opinion, should have removed him or been DIRECTED to remove him from the immediate proximity of the candidate.

Think of it this way...how CLOSE to an elected Chief Executive would this AGGRESSIVE and I do mean aggressive and PERSISTENT and he appeared a second time during the day...would he have been allowed? Or would he have spent the next 30 years contemplating his navel in a padded room.

And Senator Obama spoke to him in a polite and reasoned manner. He should have been removed at the first sign of irritation by the candidate.

methinks and you still don't know if i did or did not vote for him because that is of no bearing upon any of this

Posted by: jato1 | April 2, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

AverageJane:

No one said it was a law -- thank God you are not running for President -- as misS_tpham correctly noted, above, at 03:02 PM:

"Neither comes off looking great. That guy was rude, but a photo takes 10 seconds. Instead, Obama spends 10 minutes arguing and dodging this guy in front of multiple cameras. At the very least, it was not the smartest reaction."

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

randysbailin:

Wanting a photograph with "The One" is now deemed psychotic behavior? Can you please cite the DSM-IV for that particular diagnosis?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine having to put up with that kind of harassment. Since when has it become a law that a presidential candidate has to pose for a picture? And now you're asking to rate his response. The guy was a jerk who doesn't understand the word no. And you are a joke for making it a controversy.

P.S. Obama was a gentleman compared to what I would've been.

Posted by: AverageJane | April 2, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

A psycho approaches a presidential candidate and we're debating the quality of the candidate's response? I'm not an Obama supporter, but he actually showed a good deal of restraint. This nut could've had a gun. Criticism should be directed at Obama's security detail, who were clearly sleeping on the job.

Posted by: randysbailin | April 2, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

twocanpete:

Wanting a photograph with "The One" is now deemed accosting? Did you watch the video? OBAMA put his hand on the man's arm, not the other way around.

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

What in the heck is wrong with people? Who gives a rat's back side about racism! Some obvioulsly disturbed individual was allowed to accost a presidential candidate and nobody seemed to care! Can you people say John Lenon! Can you say Bobby Kennedy and Sirhan Sirhan?!! This guy should have hit the pavement the instant his arm touched Obama. Are you kidding me. Wake up, if anything happens to Obama while the Secret Service sleeps on the job the urban centers will go nuclear count on it.

Posted by: twocanpete | April 2, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Jake,
Give those Obamanites hell. They are mostly A** holes most of the time. Arrogance supreme. They get their drawers in a wad when you use his middle name. They don't realize you are preparing them for the general.

I listen to Fox news now. They give Hillary hell but they give Barack hell too.

I didn't watch Hardball. Ole Chris had Obama on. I'm sure he asked him tough questions? Wonder how many times Chris wet his pants. Wonder if he wore a diaper?

Posted by: bnw173 | April 2, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

(That thread also included William JEFFERSON Clinton, Mark ADAM Foley, Edward MOORE "Ted" Kennedy, and James EARL Carter's middle names, even though they weren't technically "candidate" this time around ; )

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

And, here's a thread where I posted Christopher JOHN Dodd's middle name:

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thread I posted Michael DALE Huckabee's middle name:

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

optimyst:

Did you type that list from memory? Because I would have included Brownback (he was my initial candidate of choice) but I doubt 99% of Americans would remember he even ran. Note that I also said, above, that I wouldn't use the word "fascinated" to describe me making sure that every voter finds out such little know facts -- I never said I've memorized them all either -- I probably only posted Gravel's middle name ONCE. I mean, he's abandoned the Democratic Party since then, so does he even count anymore?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, I know that MITT is his middle name. And, I've posted all of their middle names, long ago. One of them starts with the letter "R". Can I at least buy a vowel?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

JakeD writes: "I am "fascinated" by every candidate's middle name..."

How about giving us the middle names of these candidates without looking them up, since you are so fascinated?
Joe Biden
Duncan Hunter
Ron Paul
Mike Huckabee
Tommy Thompson
Sam Brownback
Alan Keyes

I'm sure we are all just dying to know.

Posted by: optimyst | April 2, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

pathina:

Do you also think it "childish antics" to highlighting Hillary or McCain's middle names? In addition to said "childish antics" my post at 04:37 PM gave a partial list (apart from all the despicable personal qualities highlighted by those like JackSmith1 and svreader) of the substantive areas I disagree with Barack HUSSEIN Obama. I can also walk and chew gum at the same time. How about you?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

why did this guy get so close so many times. scarey.

Posted by: sjeanmarie | April 2, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

What is it withnthe childish antics of highlighting Obama's middle name? have these people know knowledge of issues and policies?
Now I know ignorance and stupidity are to be pitied, but please, this is becoming tedious.
What are your views on the millions of displaced, maimed, bereaved and murdered human beings in Iraq- both Iraqi and American nationalities?
What are your views on a person that voted for this horror?
What are your views on a nation that spends more on war games than on health and education?
Good lord, there are so many important issues...who cares about names, middle or otherwise?

Posted by: pathina | April 2, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Jake and rat are right here, hot on the story -- yeah, you see dudes, the Obama campaign actually was on top of this enough to identify the man from an earlier hotel commotion, verify he's an ebay image/autograph poacher and keep him from using their candidate -- unlike the other 2 crackerjack campaign staffs. Good job; once again shows that Sen. Obama's got the best managed campaign in years(translate that into his potential administration).

Posted by: Omyobama | April 2, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

whatmeregister ; )

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I wonder the same about the secret service. But then again, they are working for a Republican administration so maybe they are only to make Obama feel safe.

As for the so in my post Jake, that was a typo not an emphasis.

Posted by: TKS1 | April 2, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

My question is, why did the Secret Service ever let svreader get that close to the senator in the first place?

Posted by: whatmeregister | April 2, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Most of the usual juvenile Hillary-ites have switched over to this blog after spewing their bile all over the blog about today's polls. (svreader and Jack "You Might Be An Idiot" Smith will be along shortly.)

Honestly, people, you think this is significant -- that Obama finally lost his cool (slightly) because this hairball was stalking him? Did any of you read about Bill's meltdown at the CA Democrats' meeting this past weekend? Totally lost his sh-t -- red face, pointing finger, the whole works! Dissed Richardson for his "betrayal." Now THAT's newsworthy.

Posted by: jac13 | April 2, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: guardsmanbass | April 2, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

slister:

Thanks for the clarification (I guess). Now, can you answer my question: if "nothing I've said is factual" how can "we all know" Obama's middle name? Since you think it's "Hossein" my job is obviously not yet done.

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

JakeD - and what..... simply implies that nothing you say has substance.

Posted by: slister | April 2, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

JakeD-Stop picking on Barry Hussein!

Next thing you know, you will be pointing out the fact that all 60,000 some-odd Dollars of Charity he Claimed, went to Black Charities!

You should know, that is CNN's job! ;~)

Yeah! I want a President who think's only Blacks deserve Charity!

NOT! :-(

Posted by: rat-the | April 2, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

JakeD, are you still here. What exactly do you have against Senator Obama? Is it because he is beating Billary? No more Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton, is that it. You need to go get a life. Really.

Posted by: GraceMN | April 2, 2008 03:54 PM
**************************************************************************************
Perhaps I can answer this question for you. Obama's disinguenity is what I hold against him. Oh yes, Hillary can twist a little too - what's a politician who doesn't. But what a contortionist Obama has become in such a short time.

Noticed, some Obama nuts are still epileptic over Hillary's Bosnia remarks. On the other hand, we Clinton supporters hardly get a chance to go ballistic over any one single statement of Obama because his contradictions and lies just keep piling up. There's hardly any time to reflect on one lie because you are hit right away with another one.

E.g.

Obama said he was for a single payer health system, but now opposes plans that cover every American.

He promised to repeal the Patriot Act, but then voted to extend it.

He promised to normalize relations with Cuba, but flip-flopped when he started running for president.

He rails against NAFTA in Ohio while his top economic advisor assures the Canadians his rhetoric is just "political positioning."

He promises to opt in to public financing if the GOP nominee does, but then breaks that pledge in real time.

He promises to withdraw from Iraq within 16 months, and now his top foreign policy adviser says that he's not relying on the plan.

At first he knew of no controversial remarks from his pastor. Then he knew it. Then he knew some but not others.

At first the "union" that brought him into this world was caused by the bridge crossing/civil rights movement in Selma which, by the way, actually happened 5 years afterwards. Long after he was born.

He flattered Kennedys by crediting them for funding his father's arrival to US when the Kennedys had nothing to do with it.

Don't even get me going over the questionnaires he has filled indicating positions he has completely contradicted during this campaign cycle.

List keeps on growing.

Posted by: Umbria | April 2, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Good one, Umbria : )

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Not captured by the video....

Obama to the camera guy: "... and people say, God bless you. No, no, no. GOD DAMN YOU. GOD DAMN YOU for wanting to take a picture with me. GOD DAMN YOU for trying to insult people of color by taking color pictures. You are the reason for 9/11."

Posted by: Umbria | April 2, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

GraceMN:

Here's a partial list (apart from all the despicable personal qualities highlighted by those like JackSmith1 and svreader): I disagree with Barack HUSSEIN Obama on Foreign Policy, including Iraq specifically but also how best to defend

Where do you want to start?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

What a no-boundry pest to stalk the senator.

I just love this candidate; class, clarity & charisma PLUS! Barack Hussein Obama: he happens to be his father's namesake.

Bigot alert: get used to it!

Posted by: crymeariver1 | April 2, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

retraint = restraint

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, if he punched the guy out cold, some of you would still be amazed by the retraint shown ...

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Obama's Economic Plan

In fact, what is far more worrisome than the Trinity Church "commitment to Africa" is Obama's call for "economic parity."

Economic equality is the justification for an exploding welfare and entitlement state.

Economic parity implies government-coerced wealth redistribution, perpetual minimum wage increases; government subsidized health care for all and so on. Essentially this translates to socialize wages.

CNBC economic analyst Larry Kudlow estimates that Obama's vision for government-run everything will cost Americans $800 BILLION.

Obama was described in a 2004 Men's News Daily Report during Obama's 2004 US Senate campaign:

Obama's closest religious advisers and bible/political teacher -- Fr. (Michael) Pfleger, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ, and Illinois State Sen. James Meeks, who moonlights as the pastor of Chicago's Salem Baptist Church - may have quotes from Scripture always handy, but are theologically closer to Karl Marx and black nationalism, than to Christianity.

Posted by: olandug | April 2, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

This fella was way out of line. Like a previous post mentioned, it is disturbing that this aggressive man was allowed to persist and get so close to Senator Obama.
The Senator's restraint was admirable.

Posted by: ricknej | April 2, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

slister:

I am "fascinated" by every candidate's middle name -- although I wouldn't use that word to describe me making sure that every voter finds out such little know facts -- also, I don't fear anything, and I've never purchased a picture of George W. Bush. OTOH, if "nothing I've said is factual" how can "we all know" Obama's middle name (it's not "Hossein" BTW)?

Not sure how to answer your last question; care to elaborate on "and what?"

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

JakeD you are a wierdo! Why are you so fascinated with Barack's middle name? What do you fear JakeD? It's okay to disagree with someone, or just not want to vote for them, but educate yourself. Get some facts. Nothing you've said is factual. We all know that Barack's name is Hossein. and what? Oh, by the way, I get it now, you purchased a picture of George W. Bush - now that is hillarious - the dumbest president that we've ever had!

Posted by: slister | April 2, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Barack shouldve called the ebay dude a macaca and told him to pi$$ off

Posted by: ucantfucwithit | April 2, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes, GraceMN, I am still here. I could care less if he beats her in the primary -- I simply want the weakest possible candidate up against McCain -- as for what exactly I have against the good Senator from Illinois, I think I've stated that as to this topic at least. You want a list of everything else?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GraceMN | April 2, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

P.S. to TKS1 -- of course I am emphasizing his middle name (just like YOU "emphasized" the word "SO" in your post) -- that doesn't make me (or you) a bigot any more than when I "emphasize" Hillary DIANE Clinton or John SIDNEY McCain's middle names.

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

nadabraintheOriginal:

I am not a bigot, either way. As far as why you would post under two names, sockpuppetry would, in fact, be my first guess. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons. If you say you aren't posting under multiple names, that's good enough for me.

As for "looking at the real issues instead of the superficial for a change" I already said what I think about, you know, the TOPIC of this thread: Persistent Pictureseeker Irks Barack HUSSEIN Obama. I agree with misS_tpham (and, no, I am not posting as "misS_tpham" either) if you want to know the truth.

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Debmood -- this verges on stalking and you can't be too careful, especially when Obama was around children.

I think Sen Obama has always been gracious about posing for pictures and signing autographs. But, this guy was a little over the top. And more than a little scary...

Posted by: dirops | April 2, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Security issue: How could the same person (annoying) get that close repeatedly into Obama's personal space without Secret Service Intervention.

...Very, Very, Very disconcerting!

Posted by: jjones | April 2, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

JakeD:

Thank god that you aren't running for President. I think we've had enough of the racist agenda courtesy of Bush, who rushed to help FL every hurricane but left New Orleans resident to die.

Barack is not running from his middle name. I doubt that he is embarrassed by it. However, because people like you take the extra step to use it and put it in all capitals demonstrates that you aren't just using it, you are emphasizing it. SO please, Jake, take your excuses elsewhere. If you are a bigot, at least have the balls to admit. To deny what is obvious is cowardly.

Posted by: TKS1 | April 2, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hello... It's alarming that the Secret Service allowed this goof ball to continue. The next idiot won't be asking for a picture at such a close proximity. What kind of Secret Service detail is Obama assigned, remedial trainees?

Posted by: czlong | April 2, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The point of the photo is that it is proof that he was with Obama. Then he just forges the signature and sells it on eBay. Obvious scam...

Posted by: insouciantlad | April 2, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Why did the secret service allow this guy to get that close after finding out he was, as Obama says in the video, the ebay guy? All this guy had to do is snap the photo and keep moving like everyone else. He was stalking the Senator even lurking around the hotel where the Senator was staying?
I don't think anybody should be allowed to get that close to any of the candidates in a public place like that. They are supposedly checked when in a Dome or auditorium, before the candidates arrive.
The security is lax and very scary. Lot of nuts out there.

Posted by: Debmood | April 2, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"He's selling autographs. The photo is to verify that he actually did meet Obama"

Just to clarify, didn't the transcript says that he's not asking for an autograph, just a photo for the guy's family?

Posted by: misS_tpham | April 2, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks TKS1! My thoughts exactly! Jake, why would I post under two names? As you can see I don't need to create fake accounts to have someone agree with me.

I think if you're going to use McCain's middle name only so that you can use Obama's middle name, then yes, you're being bigoted. I don't think that Obama's running away from his middle name. Most people don't give a [poop] about their middle name, as this is 2008, not 1778. How about looking at the real issues instead of the superficial for a change?

Posted by: nadabraintheOriginal | April 2, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Vnd22:

You're welcome.

TKS1:

I am not running for President (neither am I running away from my middle name: MOORE). Are you also posting as "nadabraintheOriginal"?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The guy who kept bugging Obama for the picture was rude, and I don't think he should have been allowed to get the photo just so he could make a buck on ebay. It was especially rude to interrupt when he was preoccupied with children. Selfish.

Anyway...my comment on the use of Barack's middle name is that people should stop. Jake D doesn't even have his full name posted so I really doubt that he walks around calling McCain, John Sidney or for that matter, calls other people by their full names.

The people who chose to do that are clearly very petty. If it makes you feel better to try and draw attention to his middle name, then you should get a real kick off telling everyone about John McCain's Pro Vietnam propaganda tapes that he had sealed so we can't hear for ourselves if he is the hero he claims to be.

Posted by: TKS1 | April 2, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vnd22 | April 2, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

JakeD, i guess we know what the d stands for. d-bag

Posted by: epdaly | April 2, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Am I "bigoted" to bring up McCain's middle name?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

To all the people who keep bringing up Obama's middle name: seriously, get over it. It's old news. For you to insinuate that he's some manchurian candidate or whatever is just pathetic. Your ignorance and persistence to spew out incorrect, baseless and racist comments like that shows off just how bigoted you are. Go read a book. Ann Coulter's doesn't count.

Posted by: nadabraintheOriginal | April 2, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Again, what is wrong with selling autographs? I purchased one from George Washington once.

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

He's selling autographs. The photo is to verify that he actually did meet Obama. The stalker is a scuzz-bag.

Posted by: vbalfour | April 2, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Vnd22:

ABC News is playing the video.

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I don't get it. He makes money on eBay by taking photos with presidential candidates? Who would buy a photo of a presidential candidate and a random guy?

Posted by: bardwell2010 | April 2, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

zb95:

"Pounded" for daring to take a picture?! Or, is it because he flustered The One? I am beginning to think that Barack HUSSEIN Obama does have a new kind of politics. The kind that does not deign to even speak to an average person on the street. That's something -- now that he is a big ol' senator, I guess he doesn't need to speak to the masses if it interferes with his own photo op and message -- your guy is an atypical politician, and I mean that in the bad way. What kind of politician doesn't pose for pictures?!

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

All I know is, this little story better get some play -- even if it doesn't signify much of anything. If it had been McCain or Clinton it sure would, and the double (or triple) standard is appalling to the majority of us.

Posted by: Vnd22 | April 2, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Secret service should have pounded this guy. Jerk.

Posted by: zb95 | April 2, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Thank God you are not running for President, TennGurl.

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Guy know that Muslims do not allow their images to be Stolen by Cameras?

Lucky for him, Obasama did not have his sword!

LOL! ONLY, Re-Touched Images are allowed! ;~)

Posted by: rat-the | April 2, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

And I thought that John SIDNEY McCain was the only cranky candidate?

Posted by: JakeD | April 2, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

If I was Obama I would have been much less patient. Obama is classy as usual.

Posted by: TennGurl | April 2, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The guy seeking a photo from Obama is a loser. He makes money selling pictures on Ebay.

Posted by: TennGurl | April 2, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse