The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

John McCain

McCain Attacks Obama as Inexperienced

By Juliet Eilperin
STOCKTON, Calif. -- At a boisterous rally that was interrupted twice by antiwar protesters, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) launched into a scathing attack on Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), mocking his youth, his lack of foreign policy experience and his support for pork-barrel projects.

"I have the knowledge, the background and the judgment to lead this nation. My opponent does not," he said before a crowd of a couple hundred supporters at an airport hangar. Then, poking fun at the 46-year-old Democratic front-runner, McCain, 71, added: "I admire and respect Senator Obama. For a young man with very little experience, he's done very well. For his very, very great lack of experience and knowledge of the issues, he's been very successful."

Shortly after he began speaking, a woman started shouting: "What we can do is bring our troops home! No more war!" But the crowd drowned her out, shouting "We want Mac!" as security officers pulled her away. When a second woman conducted a similar protest a few minutes later, the crowd again yelled their support for the presumptive GOP nominee until the protester left.

McCain then continued his critique of Obama, questioning why he is supporting a farm bill that includes federal payments to thoroughbred horse trainers. "What sort of change is he supporting?" McCain asked, adding that the change Obama is describing "is business as usual in Washington."

The senator spoke at length of his support for continuing the war in Iraq and his plans for health care for veterans. While the Democrats criticized McCain all day for missing a Senate vote today on providing educational support for veterans as part of a new G.I. bill, he defended his record and touted his own military service.

"My friends, I don't need anyone to tell me about what veterans need," he said. "I know them."

At a news conference with reporters afterward, McCain said, "I believe that I have earned the right to speak out on veterans issues," adding that although voters might not question Obama's lack of military experience, "I think they may judge him as to whether he has the knowledge and judgment necessary to care for our veterans."

McCain appeared upbeat throughout the rally, at one point calling upon bikers from the group Rolling Thunder to rev their engines.

"Thanks, guys," he said once the roar died down, and turned toward the audience. "Is that great or what?"

The senator also played down the weekend retreat he is hosting for a group of prominent Republicans, including some of the men mentioned as possible vice presidential picks, such as Govs. Charlie Crist (Fla.) and Bobby Jindal (La.), and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney.

"It's just having a group of friends for Memorial Day to visit us and enjoy one of the most beautiful places in America," McCain said. "It's no more and it's no less."

Posted at 10:03 PM ET on May 22, 2008  | Category:  John McCain
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Obama Talks Up Jewish Ties in Boca | Next: John McCain's Medical Records

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The biased, blatantly slanted towards Obama media is the reason there will be no Democrat in the White House in 2008.
The media's kid glove treatment of Barack Obama is so obvious and really making people sick! American voters deserve and will demand transparency. WHO IS OBAMA? What, specifically and no general BS, has he accomplished to make him think he can lead this nation? What are his qualifications? What is his experience?
Law degree? Dime a dozen. Only practiced a few years.
Legislative leadership and initiatives? Still searching for some.
What is Obama's real agenda? Why does the liberal media have to protect him from the spotlight and slant everything in his favor? Why? Why? Why?
Is he racist against whites? Is Michelle?
Do they secretly hate this country? All signs lead me to believe that. I've always been "really" proud of my country. I can't help but think Obama thinks like Michelle because you tend to marry those with like values and beliefs. Why does he dis his white grandmother and not his black father who deserted him when he was two and didn't have anything to do with him growing up? His white grandmother WAS ALWAYS THERE for him-in fact she raised him when his mama and daddy abandoned him!Yet he puts her down and not his deadbeat selfish father! What's up with that?
What's right with America,BO?
I'm a Republican and not a big fan of Hillary or McCain, but when it comes November, America will vote for who they know. They know Hillary. They know McCain.
They don't know Obama. He came out of left field.

Posted by: getoverit | May 25, 2008 3:52 PM

McCain is seriously considering an Indian-American as a possible VP??? Is he not aware that he is the GOP nominee and that will be virtual suicide?

Posted by: GOP? | May 24, 2008 7:16 PM

as a arizonan i can say the McCain of today ia not the man i supported&respected 8 years ago. in fact he is unrecognizable. perhaps this is due to his aging brain as surely one would not want to attribute his pandering to the fundalmentalist christian right,his shift from challenging bushes tax breaks to the wealthy(oh wait i guess he figured out those tax breaks were actually a benefit to himself when he finally got to see his wife's tax returns)($6 mill. gosh that puts him&her into the elite 1%)to most recently denying his own brothers in arms,our brave,courageous war veterans,education benefits only equal to the same benefits we gave to our WWII vets claiming "i know them" demonstrating his "knowledge" of our military by penning a flacid,impotent GI education bill that increased their benifit from a pathetic $1,100.00 to a paltry $1,500.00.(every veterans organization condemmed this betrayal)to his grandiose delusion that his experience(age) automatically qualifies him as the all knowing seer. (revelation if one bases ones action on faulty information&continues on this same course no amount of "experience" will suddenly cause a falsehood to become a truth)then that he is simply another out of touch old fool, another politition intent on gratifying his own ego(8 years of bush was enough)i'd rather believe that his change in character is attributable to his ageing brain, that he can't help himself,much the same as reagan in those last 2 years of his presidency. don't get me wrong i'm not wanting to fault him because he is old however one has to accept the reality of life & realize that rigidity of thought can not be interpeted as wisdom. i will put my trust&support behind Obama a man wise beyond his years&willing to think outside the box. if this is nieeve of me then so be it. i know what we have been doing isn't working&it's imperative that we must change our course. TOO MANY HAVE GIVEN TOO MUCH FOR TOO LITTLE TOO LONG.

Posted by: catchum | May 24, 2008 5:29 AM

If "Barry" was any LESS Experienced, he would not even be allowed to listen to Jimi Hendrix!

The "Shock" would be deemed TOO EXTREME! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | May 23, 2008 11:19 PM

LOL! Easily Imitated, but Never DUPLICATED!

The One, the Stonely, Raton-El. ;~)

Cheesy's Never Easy! :-)

Heyyy little Girl; ever been to mittromney.com?

Wanna see some "Issues"? ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 23, 2008 11:14 PM

American president is not only a leader of this country but of the world.yes indeed because of the gravity of the position and the responsibility it carries the president elect must be ready in day one, and one that will be surrounded by a bunch of adviser.the american president must be strong to ack alone if need be to depend this country and decisively and with force with only victory in mind and not compromise to please the terrorist....

Posted by: allan beltran | May 23, 2008 8:12 PM

For those who keep on pointing with pride to the fact that Obama voted NO on the Iraq war: The Illinois State Senate DIDN'T vote on the Iraq war. Obama was not even in the US Senate at the time of the vote. He was not provided the information provided to US Senators at the time of the vote, nor was he faced with the pressure to actually cast a vote; so any position he took on the issue was in the absence of information and public pressure (remember Bush's approval ratings back then). Whether that information later turned out to be incorrect, or even if it was a massive lie (apparently a pretty good lie given the wide range of intellegent people that voted yes), the bottom line is that rational people the world over accepted the information and supported the majoriety decision.

So, are we to believe that if confronted with the same information, and public pressure that caused so many intelligent, knowledgable, rational people to vote YES Obama would have still voted NO? If we are to believe this, I am very concerned about his decision making processes.

Anyone can occassionally get lucky and make a good decision with a flawed decision making process; just as good decision making processes can occassionally result in bad decisions if provided bad information. Personally I would prefer to place the future of my country on good decision making processes rather than on luck.

Some posters here have claimed Obama and Clinton are so close on their policy positions that anyone that would vote for Clinton should vote for Obama vice McCain. The big difference is that Clinton (like McCain) relies on good decision making processes. We have not seen any evidence that Obama even understands what good decision making processes are let alone how to make a good decision. The examples we have of his decision making points to luck (voting no on Iraq in the absence of information - and not under pressure as a US Senator to actually have to make a vote at all) and bad decision making (not refuting Rev Wright until Wright committed the sin of stating Obama was only saying what he had to say as a politician).

I am very willing to be proven wrong about Obama (I actually like the guy and would like to vote for him). Could someone provide some posts that actually provide some factual information about good decisions Obama has made based on good decision making processes. I don't feel I can trust Clinton and am not sure McCain represents my views but I am not willing to put my country in the apparently inexperienced hands of Obama without more information. I have read his web site but can only read CHANGE and HOPE so many times.

Posted by: Don | May 23, 2008 6:07 PM

Hey "wiser voter" - Aren't you talking about McCain here? "Enough speech of saying what the voters want to hear that displays more ignorance and flip-flopping on the issues. .."
FLIP FLOPPER??? McCain WAS a maverick - now he is Bush. McCain was against tax cuts for the wealthy - now he is for them. McCain was FOR a woman's right to choose, now he is against it. McCain felt we should talk to Hamas for diplomacy in 2004, now he says we should not engage with them. Talk about FLIP FLOPPING!

Beating McCain is going to be the easiest challenge Barack Obama has ever faced. And you know what? The RNC knows it.

Posted by: areyou kidding | May 23, 2008 5:14 PM

Preview your Comment

I can understand why McCain wouldn't want to meet with foreign leaders. He made a fool of himself in a (public) meeting with President Daniel Ortega of Nicaragua in 1987, and was so furious at the end that he slugged an American reporter, called him "Sandinista [expletive deleted]" and stomped out of his own press conference. I am looking for the film of the meeting, which really conveys how humiliating it was for Dole and McCain; meanwhile, an English-language translation of the transcript of the meeting is available - www.envio.org.ni/articulo/3212

Posted by: landsend | May 23, 2008 3:47 PM

What does it take to make the SUPER DELEGATES and the DNC HEAR US and understand that we are NOT voting for Obama? He followed Anti-American rhetoric and "black theology" for 20 YEARS and wrote two books reenforcing the same view points! Now he chants unity, wears a flag pen for the past 1 to 2 months and now says God Bless America, almost as if rubbing Americas face in his 20 year mentor's derogatory comment!
What do AMERICANS believe...20 YEARS of ACTIONS when NOT running for President OR 4 months of Rhetoric and Actions when he IS running for President?
AMERICANS ARE NOT FOOLS, OBAMA!
WE WILL NOT VOTE FOR YOU TO RUN THE NATION! WE ARE PROUD OF OUR COUNTRY EVERY DAY OF OUR LIVES! AND YOU WILL NOT TAKE THIS AWAY!
HEAR US.......... Super Delegates!Howard Dean! Donna Brazille! Media! DNC!
NO, NO, AND NO AGAIN TO OBAMA! We will NOT unite NOW OR EVER behind your inexperienced and VERY undeserving candidate. And had he not been African American that gave him an allocation of delegates based on race of the voter verses the popular vote, he would not be ahead in pleadged delegates. NO, We will NOT unite behind an inexperienced candidate with even less judgement and character, Barack H Obama.
NO NOW! and NO IN NOV!

Posted by: Dem to Ind for HILLARY | May 23, 2008 3:29 PM

Give us the best qualified and more experienced candidate and we'll be happy to fall in line in November.

Talks and rhetorics will not cut it for most of us democrats.

Enough speech of saying what the voters want to hear that displays more ignorance and flip-flopping on the issues. Let him complete his first term in the US Senate. He needs it...

Barack = Bush

Both are not and should not be President or a Democratic nominee but pushed to us by the establishments.

Posted by: The Wiser Voter | May 23, 2008 3:05 PM

I was in the military and server two tours in Vietnam. I have never tried to make a career out of it though. I know plenty of guys who that's their claim to fame. Most of Mccains military career was a disgrace. That is just a fact.

++++++++++
After reading some of the postings here
dissing McCain, I am in favor of an immediate reenactment of the draft and everyone of the idiots who posted here
be the first ones called. These pipsqueaks
haven't the guts to join the service and want to trash those that served because they may have different political views. I would bet that the majority of the people that post on this side are sixteen years old or younger and just a bunch of useless punks. The service WILL straighten them out!!!! DON'T TRASH VETERANS !!!!

Posted by: 30 year man | May 23, 2008 1:14 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 2:16 PM

You people still don't get it. That McCain served and suffered for our country regardless of our opinion of which war it was is something not up for criticism EVER. It makes you appear ungrateful and extremely disrespectful.

You can attack anything about McCain but do not attack his age or his military sacrifice. That is beneath the dignity of a Democrat. But then again I noticed many of you are not Democrats, you are Obamacrats, rude and terribly disrespectful. I honestly can't wait for this Obama thing to be over because I have never seen Democrats behave this horribly; trash a former first lady, trash a man because of his age, trash his military sacrifice...if this is your 'unity', go back to the drawing board and start over. Obamacrats are an embarrassment to the Democratic Party.

Posted by: lil | May 23, 2008 2:00 PM

I don't think McCain was a war criminal for what he did in Vietnam, I think he was feeling guilty about he collateral damage. I don't think he was up in the air and said to himself "wouldn't it be great to kill some innocent woman and children today?" and then pull the handle.

We should put ourselves in his place before making judgments, if I came from his family's military background and were X thousand feet in the air where I couldn't come face to face with my enemy I probably would have done what he did. If I were being tortured in solitary confinement, I probably would have broke sooner than he.

However, I would not try to portray myself as something I am not and accuse others of being weak AND hopefully I would have learned from my previous experience.

It appears John McCain has done nothing of the latter.

Posted by: JR | May 23, 2008 1:49 PM

If McCain and his policies represent experience, then give me Obama! Just think, it was ok for McCain to back a want-a-be cowboy (and everything else) Bush as the disaster came out of Texas government. But now Obama is not satisfactory and he even thinks before voting. Just think, Obama's inexperience led to his NO vote for the Iraq War disaster. This is a Democrat going for Obama! God bless change and a functioning brain!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 1:39 PM

I think we should START by finding out about ALL McCain's "experience"! His "experience as a veteran amounts to not knowing how to fly a plane, crashing, and spending his entire military time in prison!! So, he can tell us about the inside of a prison cell. That is the amount of his military "experience!"

Now, how much "experience" does he have at being president?? Even LESS than that!!

Granted, he envies Obama's youth, which McCain wasted (his youth)on womanizing and treating women as LESS THAN human, "C*NTS", as he called his wife in public,but that "experience" just comes naturally to men who have no character.

What has he actually done/accomplished that makes him so much more experienced than Obama?? Whenever someone has NOTHING to brag about except loving war and being in prison, the time is spent cutting down the opponent, as Mc Cain is proving!

Posted by: Maerzie | May 23, 2008 1:34 PM

lil: The point is McCain is using his military service as his pitch for being qualified and Obama's lack of it as his reason for being unqualified.

Therefore his military record (e.g. his violations of the military code of ethics) is fair game.

Posted by: JR | May 23, 2008 1:29 PM

lil,
Didn't Bush serve in the Natl. Guard, does that make him a veteren?

My point is, just because someone served in our military that does not make them accountable, especially one who is seeking the highest office in the land.

I would agree that we should show respect for veterans for their sacrifice, and not trash them just because they were in the military, but WHAT they did while they were in the military is important.

Didn't McCain say in a video interview on 60 min. in 1997 that he considered himself a "War Criminal"?

I can't think of a more stern "trashing" than that.

Posted by: JR | May 23, 2008 1:26 PM

PS

I agree with 30 yr. man. NEVER TRASH A VETERAN! You kids need to be taught some manners. I am a 37 yr. old Democrat ashamed of your behavior.

Remember what those Bush scum did to John Kerry? That was just as disgusting as what you are doing now.

Posted by: lil | May 23, 2008 1:19 PM

30 year man:
I do not believe that the posters were trashing all veterans, just one who is depicted as something he may not be and wants to send these "young punks" into harms way for a war that probably 95% of the world believes is immoral.

So, thanks for your service but we are talking about John McCain who wants to be president of the most powerful military force in the history of the planet. We want to make sure he's qualified.

Posted by: JR | May 23, 2008 1:18 PM

hey what ya'll should be concerned about is our economy. Bush put us 90 billion in debt, weakened the US dollar, sold out our country. It took a Clinton to clean up after the first Bush, it will take a Clinton to clean up after the second Bush! Bill Clinton managed to pay off Bush Sr.'s enormous national debt and put us in a surplus even with a Republican congress in his way! The Clintons have what it takes to get us out of this mess, and not a moment too soon as the recession has already begun, we are on the brink of a depression that make the Great Depression look like a hiccup! If you value having a job, and your standard of living, being able to drive a car to get places, you should be concerned about what is coming. Gas prices will keep going up, our countries industry was sold out to 2nd world nations where labor is cheap and now we are in massive debt. Clinton plans to pull us out of Iraq sooner than Obama. Neither McCain nor Obama is qualified to take a huge national debt and turn it into a surplus. This is not a time to gamble on inexperience and 'hope'. Not a time to shake hands with leaders of volatile nations. This is a time to buckle down and fix our huge economic problems here in America. What we need are experienced problem solvers---THE CLINTON'S.

Posted by: lil | May 23, 2008 1:15 PM

After reading some of the postings here
be the first ones called. These pipsqueaks

Posted by: 30 year man | May 23, 2008 1:14 PM

Given the enormous challenges we will have in the next four years I think it is important for our next President to have the ability to "think critically" i.e. examine a problem from many angles and try to forsee the consequences of our decisions.

Pick one:
1. A student that flunked the D.C. bar exam
2. A student that finished close to last in their class
3. A student that became head editor of the Harvard Law Review

Which candidate do you think is the best equipped to be a critical thinker?

Posted by: JR | May 23, 2008 1:13 PM

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that McCain's military career up until that 5th time he got shot down was a joke -- he spent 5 1/2 years as a P.O.W. because he REFUSED early release -- does that count at least as much as John Kerry's military service?

Posted by: JakeD | May 23, 2008 1:11 PM

After the first few months, experience will not be an issue, as they would both know more than either of them do now.

McCain has shown that even experience, does not make one knowledgable. You actaully have to learn the right lessons from your experience for it to make a difference.

Posted by: Franky | May 23, 2008 1:04 PM

Someone should call Mccain on his actual military record to his face. It would take another military man to do it but his record is a joke. He got in because of who his father was. He finished almost last in his class of over 900. He was like 896 I believe. Once on duty he crashed 5, thats "FIVE" planes. Again if not fro who his father was he would have been thrown out of the service. He, and this is not rumor all his friends and those who served with him say it, he spent almost all his off time drunk. His military career was in fact a disgrace and that is a fact. At some point it needs to be thrown in his face publicly.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 1:00 PM

To all of you OBAMA HATERS............
Stop THREATENING what your gonna do WHEN Hillary loses !! If your gonna VOTE McCain
JUST DO IT !!....WHO gives a D*7mn
You were probably NEVER - Democrat at heart anyw

Posted by: BYRD | May 23, 2008 12:50 PM

Posted by: Dave, Allentown,PA | May 23, 2008 12:37 PM

Hillary Not Ready to Be Nice Yet

Let Obama finish his 6 year term in the Senate first so he gains for experience. The is now flip-flopping on National Security Issues. It's really embarassing that he is the best the Democratic party can offer.

Proud Democrat but Leaning McCain...

Posted by: The Wiser Choice | May 23, 2008 12:28 PM

Let's START OVER PLEASE !!!

Posted by: The Wiser Voter | May 23, 2008 12:24 PM

McCain can't debate the issues. Doesn't show up for the vote. Makes the argument that is credibility on the Veterans affairs is because of his background. This is a surprisingly weak pitch. The argument boils down to Obama didn't serve and I did. The more McCain get scrutinized the weaker he looks.

Posted by: sferris | May 23, 2008 12:23 PM

Posted by: The Wiser Voter | May 23, 2008 12:23 PM

I'm glad McCain is exposing Obama's weakness early on, that way Clinton can stomp him at the convention. Look at the polls to. Polls show Obama loses swing states to McCain, yet Clinton beats them both in swing states.

Posted by: lil | May 23, 2008 12:08 PM

mad dog has experience as a corrupt politician and a very bad pilot. he is no more qualified than any citizen to comment on veterans' issues.

Posted by: blue111 | May 23, 2008 11:35 AM

The title should read "McCain attacks Obama's inexperience" not "as"....we all KNOW he is inexperienced! He's also not transparent as he promised (hiding the pastor in the basement, where are those state Ill. records?)uniter? Is that why his campaign has picked the scab of racism with their own usej of it! I can not get over how people are so willing to believe this man when he has NO RECORD to show he can do anything he promises! Never BO!

Posted by: Sherri | May 23, 2008 11:31 AM

Playa:

Were you similarly upset about the Obama supporters who shouted down the man who simply asked him to name some "close personal friends" who are Jewish and who "know what you're thinking"? I'm afraid that Code Pink has permanently changed the face of politics in this country (and not for the better BTW).

Posted by: JakeD | May 23, 2008 11:28 AM

bigot?????? thanks for the clarification..you are not very bright and you don't have to say so..I see it by the bigot remark..

************Thank you for the clarification, you are a bigot. Why didn't you just say so. Thanks.

+++++++++++++
no//I'm afraid you are the one who makes no sense at all...You talking about likes and dislikes...thats very stupid...whom I like or dislike has not one thing to do with this..Its all about trust with me...He's way to radical and some of his supporter are...like Ayers..I certainly don't like him or what he did in the 60.s nor never will and I don't trust someone who associates with someone like that...someone like Rev Wright..i could care less ..he's just mouth..but someone who plants bombs because he doesn't like the govt policy..thats a different story...innocent people were killed by this gang..like the bothched armed car robbery..I might not like Hillary and I might but I do trust her and I think she had much more experience for president.

Posted by: | May 23, 2008 10:53 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 11:26 AM

rmueller:
Most Americans are too intelligent to be racists. You lower the curve on our intelligence. Go back under the rock you slimed.

Posted by: tanaS | May 23, 2008 11:07 AM

The irony is that the last 'posting' of my nick is another Fake JakeD. But I appreciate the flattery of imitation.

Posted by: JakeD | May 23, 2008 11:04 AM

No problem, easyenough. I'm sure it is confusing to see so many fakes.

Posted by: JakeD | May 23, 2008 10:58 AM

+++++++++++++
no//I'm afraid you are the one who makes no sense at all...You talking about likes and dislikes...thats very stupid...whom I like or dislike has not one thing to do with this..Its all about trust with me...He's way to radical and some of his supporter are...like Ayers..I certainly don't like him or what he did in the 60.s nor never will and I don't trust someone who associates with someone like that...someone like Rev Wright..i could care less ..he's just mouth..but someone who plants bombs because he doesn't like the govt policy..thats a different story...innocent people were killed by this gang..like the bothched armed car robbery..I might not like Hillary and I might not but I do trust her and I think she had much more experience for president.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 10:53 AM

Thanks for clearing that up real Jake D. Politics is one thing, but attacking my brothers in arms who have served from WWI to Somalia and other forgotten venues is another. Got my blood boiling. LOL!

Posted by: easyenough | May 23, 2008 10:52 AM

What really bothers me is not Obama's inexperience, but the unanswered questions about McCain. Specifically, after all those years as a POW, suffering extreme torture--How will he react to the REAL pressure when HE gets the calls at 3 am?

Posted by: Clevelander | May 23, 2008 10:49 AM

disgraceful how the republican crowd behaved with that woman. If you don't agree with her views, you still don't have to behave like animals. I guess that's the kind of people McCain attractcs.

Posted by: Playa | May 23, 2008 10:44 AM

***********
You make no sense what so ever. Hillary and Obama are essentially the same candidates. You can't slid a card between them on the issues. So why would you vote for Mccain? I don't like Hillary but I would still vote for her if she was the nominee because I am interested in the issues and the future of our country, not petty likes, dislikes. Like I said, they are the same candidates on the issues.

++++++++++
Hillary supporter here and if she doesn't get the nomination,I will certainly vote for McCain.I figure the worst he could do will be much better than a no nothing jr Senator from Chicago.The far left media also knows that but they could care less.The only thing they thinking about is getting some far left wing radical Judges on the Supreme Court.

Posted by: | May 23, 2008 9:56 AM

Posted by: | May 23, 2008 10:02 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 10:42 AM

A crowd of 200 supporters. Two hundred!?

This was no town hall metting, it was an airport hangar and he only drew 200 people?

What a joke this guy is.

Posted by: shrink2 | May 23, 2008 10:30 AM

easyenough:

That was the fake JakeD's post.

Posted by: JakeD | May 23, 2008 10:27 AM

Posted by:
*****************************
Anon hillary poster back - I have had my premarin dose and my hot flash is gone. Oh, did I mention SEXISM????

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 10:27 AM

Do I seem so stupid?

Posted by: RAT-The
*************************

That sums it up...

Posted by: Rat-The: master of the bleeding obvious... | May 23, 2008 10:23 AM

The Fake RAT-The is a Bush, McCain supporter. I am a conservative ala William F. Buckley. Therefore, I support Hagel, who is running as a Third Party candidate. You all know the RAT-The. Do I seem so stupid as to support another Bush?

Posted by: RAT-The | May 23, 2008 10:15 AM

The Fake RAT=The at 8:51 is. of course not me, just too vapid in his or hers - don't want to be accused of sexism here- comments that it cannot be the conservative dino that is RAT-The.

Posted by: RAT-The | May 23, 2008 10:11 AM

Hello, Hillary supporter - you either are supporting Hillary only because she is a woman, or you are a Republican anyway. The difference between the policies advocated by Hillary and by McCain is enormous, while the difference between the policies advocated by Obama and Hillary is actually quite modest. If you were to do even minimal research, I am sure you would find within minutes sexist statements by McCain supporters that would dwarf anything said by any supporter of Obama's.

Yes, I know you wanted a woman to be president. That will not happen, not because (or - being honest) not PRIMARILY because of sexism, but because Hillary was not a good candidate, relying on her supposed "experience" to be able to move back to the house she used to live in in Washington. And her fundraising - a barometer of public support and excitement - while impressive, has not kept pace with Obama's.... NOT because of any dirty tricks, but because more individual voters opened their wallets for him.

All that said, I do not disparage Hillary's ability as a legislator, just as a candidate. Was she qualified? Yes. Was she my first choice? No... but she was initially in the top 3 or 4. I would not vote for her now primarily because of the way she has conducted her campaign, and the way (some of) her supporters have conducted themselves within the context of it. It has nothing to do with her gender, although I will admit that it has something to do with not wanting to return the Clintons to 1600 PA Ave.

Posted by: bokonon13 | May 23, 2008 10:10 AM

McCain accusing Obama of being inexperienced, where have I heard that one before. Oh yeah from Hillary.

McCain is having a VEEP media show this weekend at his ranch. Bobby Jindal is at the McCain ranch just for a "fake" diversity photo-opportunity. Everything McCain has and will say about Obama's youth and inexperienced will be intensified by a factor of ten by having a 36-year Indian-American with name Piyush Jindal ("Bobby" is not his legal name) as his VP. There will be even more scrutiny on Jindal than Obama and you will see white-working class voters flock to Obama like he was a magnet.

National issues aside presidential health trumps many topics. Mark my words it only takes an emergency hospital visit for McCain between now and Nov. 1st to change a lot of American minds who are considering voting for McCain.

Posted by: AJ | May 23, 2008 10:08 AM

++++++++++

Posted by: | May 23, 2008 9:56 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 10:02 AM

Cheese! I just love cheese. Really, I do...

Posted by: RAT-The | May 23, 2008 9:59 AM

John McCain: Old man yells at cloud!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ann | May 23, 2008 9:59 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 9:56 AM

Why Hillary should not be VP:

From "Head of State"

Friday, May 23, 2008
Head of State: The Reasons That Hillary Should Not Be Vice President

Regarding Hillary Clinton as Barack Obama's running mate.

Originally, this seemed to be a potentially plausible choice--and if presented in the following way, could turn her divisive campaign into a potential coup as a VP candidate. The thinking was the following:

Hillary has run a divisive campaign. Now, just as the nation should mend its divisions in favor a greater unity that would serve the greater needs of our country, so now they would explicitly put these divisions behind them, in the interests of the unity that this nation, after a bitter and divisive Administration, is so in need of. This would serve as a powerful and vibrant example of the very ability to unify that Obama both offers and represents.

However, this would require a candidate that was willing to take such a position of relative shared selflessness in the interests of a greater good--while the Vice Presidency certainly offers its honors (now far beyond the "warm pitcher" of John Vance Garner's famous phrase) and positioning for later Presidential aspirations, such a plan would require the ability to think in terms of a shared effort based on the betterment of the nation, rather than in more grasping, combative and singular terms.

The Clinton camp's behavior over this past week has made such a positive scenario clearly untenable, showcasing the same characteristics that have signified her campaign throughout its long, chaotic, march--its contradictions of previous statements when such changes have a slight possibility of adding a week or two of vitality, its sudden and implausible use of populists guises and specious historical parallels for transparently opportunistic purposes, its near-hallucinogenic transmogrifications of personality and central bases for further continuation,
and the central campaign tendency to place personal attainment over virtually all values that lay in its path.

These characteristics--self over nation, positioning over a consistent presentation of position, values and even self, the willingness to put personal viability over the need to transcend and transform the vast wreckage of state and international relations that remain at this critical time--are as present now, at a moment when wisdom rather than a remorseless, obdurate desperation could fill this gap, as they have been throughout much of the campaign. They would continue to make themselves present during a campaign for vice president, complicating, diminishing and often distracting, in trivial internecine battles, the message of unity and change.

Perhaps Clinton could adopt a more unifying and integrated and less grasping position on the VP subject. However, thus far, the actions of the Clinton camp have made it clear: It's time to clean the slate. Hillary Clinton should not be the Vice Presidential candidate.

Cite:
Head of State

Posted by: Robert Hewson | May 23, 2008 9:55 AM

LOL! Being slandered about supporting "Hagel".

Guess TanaS is one of the Imposters.

Sorry Folks, but just because someone types in MY User ID(Old), does NOT a RAT make them!

Case in point, IF I ever called for someone other than the Mittster, BELIEVE ME, I'd bother to explain WHY!

What I'd love to know; Why Hagel? :-/

Talk about a Nobody!

Posted by: RAT-The | May 23, 2008 9:51 AM

Obama is "inexperienced" at being WRONG about everything, endlessly supporting the worst US foreign policy tragedies in my lifetime, being a typical flip-flopping pandering Washington career politician and being bought & sold by lobbyists?

OH NO! I better support Crazy Ol' Grampa McSame then!

Posted by: Shawn | May 23, 2008 9:50 AM

There are thousands of years of experience around Washington. Very few would you really want at the top job. You may want their counsel buy you want someone a little more progressive i.e 21st century making the decisions. This is not a time for stale old ideas. We want the brightest and the best in charge. Mccain is so far out of step with todays problems and tomorrows unknown challenges it is ridiculous. History has a funny way of presenting us with the right person at the right time if we are smart enough to recognize it. Obama may be our only hope. A young man, smart, progressive and maybe even a little bit of a dreamer. He won't be there by himself, he will have that thousand years or experience at his disposal. But the last thing we need now is someone like Hillary or Mccain in charge. I want their experience and what they may have to offer but I defiantly don't want them in charge.

+++++++++++++
Old Grumps thinks good judgment comes with age. But "McCain wisdom" is an oxymoron, as verified by his every verbal intervention.

Is buyers' remorse about this presumptive nominee becoming evident in some quarters?

Posted by: | May 23, 2008 9:33 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 9:50 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 9:33 AM

The guy is just a troll who probably sits in his bedroom all day on these internet boards. Just ignore him.

++++++++
Jake D, boy are you ever ignorant if you think every veteran chose to enter the service voluntarily! You obviously have forgotten the draft. You obviously are a "paper patriot" espousing what you read with no real experience.
You can root for McLame, but stop disparaging the sacrifice of our vets. Would you like to live in a rat infested barracks with bad plumbing, dangerous wiring, and other ills?
I'm a 100% disabled vet; and I volunteered ONLY After I was drafted.
You owe me and others an apology; but your kind never admits a mistake.

Posted by: easyenough | May 23, 2008 9:03 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 9:20 AM

I'm a 100% disabled vet; and I volunteered ONLY After I was drafted.
You owe me and others an apology; but your kind never admits a mistake.

Posted by: easyenough | May 23, 2008 9:03 AM

Experience means very little. You can buy experience, surround yourself with experience, people with experience are a dime a dozen. I am more interested in the integrity of the candidate.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 9:01 AM

At last rat the is supporting a true Republican in his support of Hagel. I agree that McSame is a sycophant of Bush.

Posted by: tanaS | May 23, 2008 9:01 AM

Since the odds will be pretty much for Obama how much are you willing to gamble on it? There are betting sights you will probably at a point be able to get 3 to 1 or better pretty soon,

++++++++++
I don't understand why people dont realize that no matter what is said here today Mcain will be our next president. There are not enough people in this country that will vote for Obama when they actualy go to the poles. Face the facts!!!

Posted by: rmueller | May 23, 2008 8:26 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 8:58 AM

Mcain is the best out of the three. He's got my vote.

Posted by: dadar | May 23, 2008 8:43 AM

WHAT A JOKE! can you believe what the democrates have done to themselves. Picking a junior senator (Obama) and a sleaze bag (Clinton) to run for the highest office in the land. Theres no doubt in my mind that Mcain will win this thing hands down.

Posted by: bcastro | May 23, 2008 8:40 AM

Rmueller - I would have to agree that we can all talk until were blue in the face but that won't change the fact that Mcain will win the election. Sorry everyone but the the democrates threw the race before they even got started.

Posted by: Bstorm | May 23, 2008 8:36 AM

Let me tell you ALL something about the United States military. When you sign up your job is to DIE FOR YOUR COUNTRY IF NEEDED! Do not cry when the time comes that America calls on you to do your job.

Posted by: Kbenton | May 23, 2008 8:31 AM

Posted by: rmueller | May 23, 2008 8:26 AM

McCain for President. I would rather have another 4 years of Bush than Bama

Posted by: JJ | May 23, 2008 8:14 AM

What was Abe Lincoln's experience when he became President? What was his military service record then?

If McCain is right, Lincoln wasn't qualified to be President.

Posted by: Garak | May 23, 2008 7:42 AM

McBush is a loose cannon that cannot be unleashed in the general public as the leader of our country. Every week that passes, he shows just how volatile his temperament can get. What's going to happen when they start debating and Barack opposes his policies aggressively. This man does not like to be questioned on his principles or else he loses it.

McBush STILL to this day has not answered why he doesn't believe that our brave young men and women in the military DESERVE the BEST we can possibly give them. THEY HAVE EARNED IT.

Posted by: most06 | May 23, 2008 5:24 AM

Old "experienced one" McCain couldn't figure out that he was being bamboozled by Bush about invading Iraq??? I think I'd rather have a sharp young mind than a old befuddled mind that is so easily conned by a guy he, himself, called dangerous in 2000.

McCain is damaged goods. Sorry, my friend, you're damaged goods and not qualified to be El Presidente!

Posted by: thebob.bob | May 23, 2008 2:49 AM

AJ-Dream On.com-edy! :-D

Even though I do not agree with Most of what the RINO McAmnesty is trying, I cannot agree to the CONCEPT of a Clown like Obasama getting control of a position like the Executive Seat!

Teddy might be out for the Count. However, Lurch, Daschole, and Peloser are still very much in control of their "Empty Suit" Puppet!

OMG! What has Happened here? :-o

World, Behold: SAINT---The! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | May 23, 2008 2:44 AM

I believe even Mother Theresa was aware RAT supports Mittster!

These petty impersonations are bogus, but "Flattering"! ;~)

Posted by: SAINT---The | May 23, 2008 2:36 AM

Veterans should stop complaining about their condition. Everyone of them chose to enter the armed services.

Posted by: JakeD | May 23, 2008 2:03 AM

McCain is for amnesty of illegal aliens. They have stolen the jobs that Middle-Class Blue collar workers used to have. I cannot support this closet Liberal, Instead I am voting for Hagel, a Third party candidate.

Posted by: RAT-The | May 23, 2008 1:52 AM

What good is experience when you don't learn?

John McCain has tended of late to compare our Iraq occupation to those of military presence of US in Europe, or Japan, after WW II or in the Korean Peninsula. It is indeed disturbing that a candidate so touted for security should be so wrong in these comparisons, or worst yet disingenuous about them. Either way he is not the right person to lead as President or claim that he has the wisdom and experience to guide this country through this phase of our history. Let us examine these cases a bit closer.
In WW II we fought against Nazi forces in Europe to literally liberate Europe. In order to finish the war no one doubted that we would have to go get Hitler, and overthrow the entire political structure, in Germany. German society in many ways was reconstructed, but Germany and other European countries were in many ways similar to American and Western culture to begin with- be it race, religion, appearance or cultural mores. American and European systems did not become an asynchronous presence during the occupation. It would be remiss, and hypocritical not to mention the role of race, where Americans with a segregated army (more so in that stage of history) would not look down upon white Europeans, as they would occupying a non-European nation. The conservatives could fume and spew at this assessment, but examination of any account of war both historical and present would confirm this. It would be a separate debate to go into some of those root causes and I will leave it to some other time.
In complete contrary to this situation in Germany, Iraq was an unnecessary war, and despite the new reasons given every quarter, to justify the war and then the occupation, it is seen by most (and now even admitted by Greenspan) as our attempt to control Iraq's oil supply, and possibly establish a presence in the Middle East. I would have more respect for someone who admitted that, rather than the politician who either insults our intelligence to claim it otherwise. However as events have proven, there would be even fallacies to this logic as we have definitely not stabilize neither the oil nor the security. However, if the war was launched to make Oil companies and suppliers, huge profits (not to mention overflowing coffers of Russia, Saudi Arabia and so on) then we did have great success. Senator McCain, there was no Oil or a natural resource in Germany we were after. We really were there to build a nation, to liberate a country, and with honesty to the American people who had Shared Sacrifice, from the President to the worker on the factory floor.
However, more critical than above mentioned reasons, any anger of US presence in Germany or Europe was soon overtaken by the threat of the Soviets and escalating tensions from the Cold War and US presence was seen as bulwark against the threat of Soviet expansionism. Iraq under Saddam, who was a brutal, corrupt dictator, but he never made it a haven for Islamic fundamentalism. It had a more secular state than any other Islamic country in Mid-east. Women enjoyed more cultural freedom than any of its neighbors, or what they do now, and perhaps, unfortunately for a long time to come. Yes, you will mention thugs like Saddam's son raping and harassing women, but the suffering by the entire female population now, bares no comparison, and is now constitutional.
Yes there is an Al Qaeda presence now, along with rise of fundamentalism in all sects, but it would be foolish to think we could root it out, where we cannot even identify a Sunni from a Shia, a nationalist from a foreign fighter. It will be Iraqis who have to root it out. We will need to provide help (now that we have done the damage!), but occupying them and strutting around in our Humvees and protecting the "leaders" in Green zone is not the help they need. That my friend (as you like to say) is recruitment fair for our enemies. If you, Senator McCain do not realize that, you do not deserve to be our President.
The presence in Korean Peninsula was also quite different than Iraq as it was a UN approved mission to fight against the North and the Chinese in a proxy war. After the bitter occupation by Japan in WW2, and the Soviet control of the North, the South was under real- threat from the Russians, Chinese and a militant North. It remained so for the entire span of cold war and to draw any parallels with Iraq is again not just irrational but lacks in insight geo-political affairs, were he really to believe what he says.
So does McCain see everything through his experience in Vietnam, where he thinks we gave up too early, where mindless brutal killing of civilians, and a de-sensitization of a whole generation, was not enough in his mind? We have accomplished more with Vietnam, during the phase of peace. We have trade, we have access to people and even though it is still a one party state, we have avoided horrors of mass killings and loss of young and innocent lives on both sides. Which part does he not like?
We had the unique opportunity to build Afghanistan after we rightly threw of the Taliban, and the Al Qaeda who they patronized and propagating the militant fundamentalist Islam. We could have concentrate in building a nation and demonstrate not just American war power, but power of our help, not our greed, but our generosity, we could have paid back what we neglected after we turned our back when eth Soviets withdrew. When Senator McCain does not realize this struggle, and was an early advocate of attacking Iraq he misses and distorts reality. There are right wing nuts who will say that these are the same people who attacked us (they are brown in color, and look same, or are all Muslims), but that would be as idiotic as holding every white, Christian person responsible for Hitler and Nazism.
In modern history, there has been no successful state where it was created by the invasion and occupation of another country, by foreign forces. I challenge the conservatives to name one. Change comes from within, it may be influenced, but needs to arise from the people. We can encourage it and inspire it, but we cannot make the change. Enough lies, enough hypocrisy we need a change in course.
Don't tell me that Saddam was a threat to the United Sates, our way of life, when all evidence suggested that he had no arsenal, and no means to be of any threat to us.
Don't tell me he disallowed Weapons Inspectors, when it was our invasion which forced them to get out.
Don't tell me we fight for we care about the Iraqi people, and then you tell me that, we do not keep a body count of how many Iraqis died? Wouldn't we value a life to at least account for them?
Don't tell me it is for their freedom, for a country which is paralyzed in fear and a significant majority wants us out of there.
Don't tell me it is for the ones who have sacrificed with their lives fighting for us, for if you had cared enough, you would have gotten the facts and had the courage to oppose military adventurism and greed.
Don't tell me we fight them there, so we do not have to fight them here. We have to fight them everywhere, but not in this manner.
Enough Lies. Enough distortion. Enough of Profiteering from this war. Enough of chauvinism and demagogues from the right who claim a singularity of being American and patriotic.
Yes you have shown Valor, but not the Sagacity or Honesty I expect in my President. Your 100 year presence is a hundred year war. No less, but it could be more.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 1:36 AM

Sen. McCain served the nation as a young naval aviator, and we are grateful for his service. Beyond that, what major accommplishments can John McCain claim credit for, for his much vaunted "experience"? Other than some lame campaign finance reform, which he authored with Feign-Gold, not much, which the likes of the very lobbyists who work for his campaign now, effective circumvented and rendered ineffective. Not much else. He has been in the Senate and was there when the cowardly members of Congress gave their nod to the decision to wage this disaterous war in Iraq. Where were the so-called "experience" John McCain is now touting? If his "experience" were the right kind, he would, like many smart statesmen -Sen. Sam Nun, Dr. Brezinsky, Gen. Brent Scocroft, Sen. Obama, Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and a few other distinguished Americans, who believed that we were fighting on the wrong battle front of the war on terror, voiced his concern to the President and the American people. What use and difference has his "experience" on defense and national security made? He has proposed even, staying in Iraq for 100 years. Many Americans and their families are paying with blood for the prolonged stay, and the nation is broke, financing the endless war, and our capacity to fight in other battle fronts need to be reinvigorated. How smart are you really, on defense and national security matters? Your 'experience' is the wrong kind of experience -hawkish!

How many years has John McCain been in Congress -House and Senate? About 30 years, yet there is no substantive and long lasting initiative from you.

Posted by: Ignatius | May 23, 2008 1:32 AM

McCain voted against the most recent GI Bill, which included higher veteran's benefits and more tuition for soldiers wishing to go to college later on. And he says he's FOR the vets?!
_____________
He's totally right to do so. If you give soldiers full benefits after serving only three years, there is no incentive to reinlist. This will decimate our forces and create a suituation where people are only going in to get the college and may actually shirk their duties because of it. It is a stupid bill. I am a retired vet so don't give me retarted feedback please.

Posted by: The Truth | May 23, 2008 1:19 AM

Posted by: franglais | May 23, 2008 1:01 AM

What did the Old Fart say about Obama?

Posted by: Character Counts | May 23, 2008 12:54 AM

To state that Obama is Inexperienced is an extreme understatement by any reasonable sane person!

Posted by: theaz | May 23, 2008 12:53 AM

The nastier and more curmudgeonly McCain gets, the worse he's going to look in comparison to a charismatic young opponent.

Posted by: Patrick | May 23, 2008 12:46 AM

Go online...read McCain's voting record for the last 20 years in the Senate...his votes aren't that bad at all...

Posted by: Scotty | May 23, 2008 12:42 AM

All of the tards here who think some dirty Marxist Chicago politician who has never held a full-time job until he entered the US Senate in 2005 is going to be the president, have lost their minds. Sorry folks, although his blackness has kept him in despite Wright and Ayers, there's more to come. Khalidi is in the news tonight. That's a new one, isn't it? Just wait. It gets even better as we go along. There is so much more to come. By the time the truth all comes out, he may very well have to resign from the Senate.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 12:38 AM

Does Military experience matter when it comes to being President of the United States? Does less or more political experience enter into the equation? How much experience did Nixon have, compared to John Kennedy? How much experience did George W. Bush have compared to Bill Clinton? The World Trade center was attacked during both the Clinton and Bush administrations. Which attck had the most devastating impact? EVERY person who has gone on to be President has had there share of troubles that are unique to each administration. And in each situation and circumstance, age and experience was trumped by the severity of the moment. Instead of McCain trying to tout his experience, he ought to speak about his judgment, which has been exposed not to be so good of late. An assistant campaign chair with ties to lobbyists: didn't McCain say that he would reject lobbyist dollars? And McCain has preacher problems--Times 2. And McCain was part of the Keating 5. And McCain missed a vote concerning benefits for veterans--on TODAY.

The Republican Right had to hold their noses during the beginning of the primary season, and McCain had to borrow money in order to keep his campaign going. Barack Obama has not had to borrow not one dime, and overcame incredible, if not near-impossible odds to hold what is now a seeming insurmountable lead over Hillary Clinton. All of this occurred because Obama used sound judgment and a clear strategy to win. In a contest where experience is pitted against sound judgment, I'll choose sound judgment every time.

Posted by: ji_john | May 23, 2008 12:37 AM

Posted by: Vietnam Vet 66-67 | M
________________
My guess is you've got about as much time in Vietnam as behind your keyboard. If you were really a war veteran, as I am, you'd know that none of us who have actually seen death, have "fun bombing people". You are a complete idiot.

Posted by: The Truth | May 23, 2008 12:31 AM

McCain sure is experienced! Al Queda in Iran. Oh wait. It isnt? Wooo hoo. Iraq is great! He can walk through the marketplace without a bulletproof vest and a 50 soilder detail. Err.. Well bomb iran bomb bomb iran. Wait. 100 more years in Iraq?

Experience tells you all that?!?!?!

Well dont worry because in a few months he'll flip flop on all that too. See when youre experienced you know to say and do what your DADDY tells you. And Daddy Lobbyist Republican Machine will tell him nice and sure whats best for the country. Look how great we're doing now!

Posted by: Mark | May 23, 2008 12:30 AM

We should meet with all our enemies without conditions. 2007

Bush is wrong, we should meet with our enemies without preconditions. 5/2008

We will meet with our enemies with conditions. 5/2008

Barack FlipFlop Obama, who doesn't know diddly crap about foreign policy.

Posted by: The Truth | May 23, 2008 12:27 AM

Nearly the last in his class at Annapolis, this hotshot crashed 4 planes before he got to RVN. Before he screwed up and got shot down, he had fun bombing people and flying back to his carrier for a hot meal, a movie, and a BS session with his buddies. No boots on the ground soldiering like Kerry. Better, I guess, than pretend airman Bush, or "I have better things to do" dodger Cheney. On the other hand, he was smart enough to dump a so-so for a millionaire beer baroness. I am sure he'll pick another experienced war veteran, probably a hispanic female governor of a northern midwestern state who has PhD in statistical political science.

Posted by: Vietnam Vet 66-67 | May 23, 2008 12:09 AM

> I have the knowledge, the background and the judgment to lead this nation.

Is that why he took Carly Fiona, the failed CEO of HP, as his economic adviser? Wouldn't a successful CEO have been a better choice, instead of someone who was widely seen as having nearly destroyed HP before they gave her the boot?

You can't tell me he was just desperate for women, either. Hillary Clinton, for example, is on Wal-Mart's board, and they're doing great!

Or have all reputable economists already disowned the Republican party after the fiscal incompetence of the past eight years?

Posted by: K | May 23, 2008 12:04 AM

> I have the knowledge, the background and the judgment to lead this nation.

Posted by: K | May 23, 2008 12:04 AM

McCain has plenty of Bad experiences.
We are not looking for another Experience with a person with Bad experience in government.

We need NEW EXPERIENCE with NEW IDEAS.
No one should be proud of the recent past in handling AMERICAN problems.

Old thinking gets you the same old result!
Inflation, Joblessness, and The American people fighting each other while politicians goat the American people into it!

Posted by: vb | May 23, 2008 12:01 AM

"How the journalistic elite got taken for a ride on the Straight Talk Express is one of the revelatory sagas of modern-day Washington. Matt Welch has the audacity to think that John McCain's views matter, not only his legends, and he smokes out McCain with gusto. You don't have to follow him every inch of the way into libertarian politics--as I do not--to be dazzled by the light he casts on a telling tragedy of American politics."--Todd Gitlin

"John McCain's love affair with the news media is a decade old. But McCain makes clear that that love affair is over."--Glenn Reynolds,

McCain: The Myth of a Maverick (Hardcover)
by Matt Welch \\http://www.amazon.com/McCain-Myth-Maverick-Matt-Welch/dp/0230603963

Posted by: Sean | May 22, 2008 11:58 PM

What is all this hype about experience? What was the combined experience of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld et al that so damaged this country and the world? We need good judgment, honesty and good principles. If we have those then experience will be all the better.

Posted by: timbo | May 22, 2008 11:58 PM

McCain has no integrity. He only speaks of what he does, but DOES nothing. He would support the status quo and destroy this country - whats left of it - Obama is needed now before it is to late - to change the direction of the country into an open, loving and constructive place.

OBAMA 08! Change we can believe in. (As a political sceptic - Obama is the first candidate that actually makes me hope, even for a moment, that things can change - thats worth a vote.)

Posted by: Dane | May 22, 2008 11:52 PM

McCain has experience all right, driving this country in to a ditch.

Can anyone say Keating 5?

I want a new driver and one that is not trying to keep driving in the ditch by serving a 3rd Bush term.

Hey be happy McCain says, count that gas tax holiday money. A give away to big oil, the consumer sees little or nothing and our children have to pay for it.

McCain is betting on the ignorance of the American people just like Bush did. It will not work this year.

You want more of the same, vote McCain.

My vote is for Obama.

Posted by: Deward Bowles | May 22, 2008 11:50 PM

Hey RAT-The...the Obama campaign is awaiting your support. Obama supported Jim Webb's new G.I. Bill along with 74 other Democratic and Republican senators.

McCain doesn't care about veterans the same way most Americans do. McCain went through hell as a Vietnam P.O.W. and came back a hero and veteran. But a few years later he married an heiress worth hundreds of millions of dollars. McCain's mentality is that soldiers should stay in the military for at least 10 years if not for an entire career.

Posted by: AJ | May 22, 2008 11:38 PM

we've got to stop sending those inexperienced politicians from Illinois into the Presidency.

Vote Seward! (McCain's fishing buddy)

Posted by: thinkresults | May 22, 2008 11:31 PM

I think Obama should call McCain that grumpy old man who is about to go nuts.

Posted by: young at heart | May 22, 2008 11:24 PM

Notice how McCain attacked the messenger but never addressed the very relevant question? I am abhorred that he would not support a bill to help GI's with college, but is in full favor of military corporate welfare by practically unlimited funding for military equipment.

McCain's priorities are crystal clear. Supporting the troops? Hardly.

Then, rather than talking about issues anyone cares about, he starts bringing up another non-issue. McSame indeed.

Posted by: Brian | May 22, 2008 11:23 PM

McCain thinks you have to be a hundred years old to know things. Meanwhile he's an idiot.

Posted by: Chris | May 22, 2008 11:20 PM

Why does McCain have to be Soooooo Hard Headed about certain Issues?

The Veterans ARE being Shafted! We will Waste Billions in Bogus stupid weaponry-IE:Patriot Missiles, but cut the People Short!

Same goes for the American Middle Class Blue Collar Worker being shafted by Un-Documented Labor practice that has drawn Millions of Wage Depressing Job Stealing Invaders to Grab the Criminal Employer's offers!

It is NOT an Immigration Issue, other than we allow too many Visas to Contractors in Skilled labor Work.

Un-Documented Labor, and Criminal Employers dodging Verification of Eligibility REQUIRED on W-4 and W-2 Forms;

IS A FEDERAL LAW, and an EMPLOYMENT ISSUE! Fine the EMPLOYERS! Bust ID Fraud!

Where is the Confusion of any Elected Representative NOT understanding that it is THE JOB THEY AGREED TO DO?!

Hint McAmnesty, you Traitor, or MORON;

WE CAN'T! It is YOUR Job! ONLY YOU, Congress, can Fund the Agents to ENFORCE YOUR DAMNED LAWS LIKE YOU SHOULD BE DOING!

Again JERK! WE, CAN'T! But, WE WANT TO! :-(

Me, I am P'ed O. at YOU McCain, FOR NOT THINKING YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN DOING IT! Even MORE SO, because you think you can now Legislate from the Executive Branch-NOT TO!

THAT, is NOT, what the President's JOB IS! :-(