The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Video Report

Sen. Kennedy Speaks After Hospital Release

Note: Please upgrade your Flash plug-in to view our enhanced content.

Sen. Edward Kennedy made his first public comments following his release from the hospital after being diagnosed with brain cancer. He spoke to reporters before going sailing with his wife, Victoria. (AP)

Posted at 7:22 PM ET on May 22, 2008  | Category:  Video Report
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: McCain Denounces Hagee | Next: Obama Talks Up Jewish Ties in Boca

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

So it is a brain tumor, not a clot pushed when the carotid endadarectomy was done? How come it was not seen when his previous operation was being planned? What did the biopsy say? It is malignant because then it was not there and now it is? Ted Kennedy is a catholic and we catholics believe that when it is your time you go... Ted is lucky, he is being given the time to prepare, luckier than JFK and luckiest compared to RFK (this one I still grieve, looking at the short footage, seeing in his eyes the acknowledgement of his shooter and the fear).
This is not the end, many tumors respond to treatment and prayers, so Ted might be kicking soon, to continue his public life, concerns for the welfare of co-americans... his only way of atonement for the sins he has committed in the past.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 25, 2008 12:18 AM

Teddy Kennedy is one of America's greatest all-time heroes. He never had to work a day in his life, yet he's spent four decades of public service -- often getting slapped and mocked -- to improve the lives of average, every-day Americans and those who have no voice. Compare that with the right-wingers who use their elected positions to benefit only their corporate benefactors.

When America finally joins the rest of the industrial world in guaranteeing health care as a basic, human right, it should be called KennedyCare, in his honor. Barack Obama should sign that into law when he becomes president.

Posted by: Bob from Jersey | May 25, 2008 12:00 AM

get well mr senator,,

hillary is still the best and able leader of this country, she is tested and experienced and ready in day one ready to face and depend this country....

Posted by: allan baldemor | May 23, 2008 8:15 PM

Ida, you really want to be saying this garbage. I don't care if you came back from death, idiocy is never tolerated.

Posted by: Debra | May 23, 2008 12:37 PM

Ida....I certainly don't appreciate that smart behind remark from you regarding brain tumor survivor.....I am a brain tumor survivor as well and I thank God every day that I wake up to be in the position to see another day, my husband, kids, & family. I support Barak Obama and I am sooo happy that I am doing better than ever...went back to school, got an MBA and is now in a PhD program. So the notion that having a brain tumor surgically removed will result in you making the wrong choices, tell that to all of us that have succeeded very well and its doing actually better

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2008 12:55 AM

As a Catholic, I can only allow Politics to affect my feelings for People go so far. Although I despise MOST of what "Black-sheep" has always been about, sometimes I feel he might have actually tried doing what HE thought was right, for Possibly a Misguided Reason. Once, maybe Twice. ;~)

That said, I hope the Senator many Happy Years as he retires from Politics(Hopefully).

From the RAT, Senator Kennedy:

Bum-Dee-do-da, Bum-dee-do-da, Bum-dee-do-da:

"Happy Trails, to you! Until we meet again!
Happy Trails, to You..."

You don't have to go Home, But you can't stay Here! ;~)

God Bless! :-)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 22, 2008 10:45 PM

Great, glad-hearted man, fight well. You are loved.

Posted by: Jane Singer | May 22, 2008 9:46 PM

It was clear he didn't want to talk. Leave the man alone. Don't trumpet it like it's some huge deal. That's tabloid journalism.

Posted by: Steve Charb | May 22, 2008 9:15 PM

@Ida: Hmmm...that made perfect sense to me. The Kennedys have always loved the outdoors and nature, and Ted is apparently happiest when he's outdoors and enjoying nature up close. Sorry to hear that you have a brain tumor; but, I don't think this is a "personality change" - he's enjoying life while he can. (As a tumor patient, you should know that - and I'm not talking down to you on that point, because I'm a cancer survivor myself - 10 years going strong). We ALL know - cancer survivors especially - that whatever time we have left - whether it's a few days or, if we're lucky, many years left to live - we should make the most of it, spending it with the ones we love and doing the things that make us happy. (Oh, and I'll let that snarky Obama comment slide for now... ;-)

Posted by: KNA | May 22, 2008 8:50 PM

That made no sense! What was he saying?? Anyway, since I am a fellow brain tumor sufferer, I can get away with saying this--I am guessing his endorsement for Obama can be blamed on his left temporal brain tumor. They are known to change behavior--I'm not kidding!

Posted by: Ida | May 22, 2008 8:37 PM