A Renewed Health Care Focus for Clinton

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., visits with patients during a campaign event at the Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland, Ore., May 9, 2008. (Associated Press)

By Perry Bacon Jr.
PORTLAND, Ore. -- While not naming Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton cast herself as the only candidate fighting to ensure health care for all Americans, arguing it was the one of the reasons her candidacy was so important.

"The plan I have proposed would cover everyone, children and adults," Clinton said at a children's hospital here. "An artificial distinction between children and adults is unworkable, you have to have seamless health care system that covers every single American. My plan does, my opponent's doesn't."

"This is a big difference in this campaign and really it's not a difference of politics so much as commitment," she said. "One of the reasons I wanted to run for president was to to finish the work I started in 1993 and 1994."

The two Democrats have long debated over health care. As part of her proposal to get insurance to the 47 million Americans who currently don't have it, Clinton would require all Americans to purchase it, although she has not defined how she would enforce this requirement. Clinton argues millions of Americans would chose not to purchase health insurance under Obama's plan, which only requires that children get insurance.

Many policy experts agree that Clinton's approach would ultimately make sure more people get health insurance, although it's not clear that either the former first lady's proposal or Obama's would get through Congress in their present forms. Clinton and Obama offer similar proposals to expand health insurance -- tax credits, expansions of public programs like Medicaid, a requirement for insurance companies to offer anyone who applies a plan without regard to preexisting conditions -- but people who do not have insurance under Obama's plan can choose not to purchase it.

Clinton has long been an advocate of universal health care, but it has not always been at the center of her campaign, as she announced her proposal months after Obama and former North Carolina senator John Edwards offered their plans.

Clinton's appearance at Doernbecher Children's Hospital was part of a two-day tour of this state, which votes on May 20. With its liberal population around Portland, Barack Obama is the favorite in one of the few remaining contests where Clinton could upset him.

By Web Politics Editor  |  May 9, 2008; 2:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Real Race Begins
Next: Bill Clinton Argues With W. Va. Voter

Comments

This sounds great. So everyone must purchase her health insurance? What about people who have insurance already and are fine with it? NO, you MUST buy this one, no options.

Universal health care always seemed like such a lofty idea anyway, but this just makes me hate it more. What about the quality of the health care? If you already have good coverage, why would you want to switch over to a government plan that EVERYONE has, which more likely than not, will be undesirable? Just think of how much this is going to cost the taxpayers.

Posted by: GregB | May 10, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, Bill, does this Pants Suit make my Thighs look Big?

WTF do you You Plead the Fifth?

Can't Recall? Can't RECALL?

I ASKED YOU, does this Pants Suit MAKE MY THIGHS LOOK BIG?!

Get BACK HERE! ;~)

Posted by: RAT-The | May 10, 2008 2:36 AM | Report abuse

The reason so many college educated people support Barry Hussein is because so many have been indoctrinated by "professors" like William "Bomber" Ayers and his wife.

Posted by: Typical White Person | May 9, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Ah, an Obama supporter on Larry King just said they need to bring the Dem Party to the "next generation".

Translation: We don't need you old geezers or middle class people who have supported Dem candidates for decades. Hillary should've just quit so we don't need to count the votes in the remaining states. We already disenfranchised FL & MI, didn't want to count anything after Super Tuesday. If you had quit then the Irrev. Wright's racism would not have been an issue and lying Obama wouldn't have to have disowned grannie.

Posted by: Typical White Person | May 9, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Sally:

You think THIS is "relevant"?

Analysis: 'Hillary Democrats' could be up for grabs

Posted by: JakeD | May 9, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I am a Democratic party supporter..why? Because they first supported me!
I can understand if you are for HRC or for Sen. Obama, but by the tone of these threads, its getting ugly. Instead of having a "mature", "responsible", and "sensible" discussion or heck a debate about the issues, it is turning into a racial polarizing conversation.
This is not fun, exciting, or productive. I for one do not agree 100% with any of the candidates, yet I can relate more with one then the others. However, I don't HATE any! Black (bi-racial), white, old, or young.
P.S. If you want to acknowledge Barack Obama's black skin, you must acknowledge the white too. Because he's also that.

Posted by: MicheleJ | May 9, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

"One of the reasons I wanted to run for president was to to finish the work I started in 1993 and 1994." HRC

Okay, what about the 14 plus years in between then and now? How about a test model - based on the Universal Health Care program you championed and implemented as a Senator in New York. Oh wait, that never happened either.

Where has this near and dear idea she holds so passionately been hiding these many years? Had Hillary actually worked toward it on some scale, she might actually have something bigger than fantasy to run on. Makes for another nice Clintonian soundbite though.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road...

Posted by: DonJulio | May 9, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Obama's delusions of grandeur (THE big house in DC, plenty of $$$ for Michelle), will be blown out of the water.

The candidate is a WIMP, dismisses his own poor decisions as boneheaded, and does NOTHING to make Americans proud! He and Michelle are not standing for America, only themselves!

Neither Clinton or Mc Cain will sell the U.S. out. Obama has already capitulated to the OIL and Nuclear industries, supported 3rd term abortions (i.e., infanticide), and has attracted all the has beens in the Democratic party!

This Dem will NOT vote for such a non-principled, poor judgment President. I don't care if his skin color is GREEN or PINK...or WHATEVER...we and our parents worked too hard to develop this great country, our relatives have and do continue to DIE for it!!!

Give it to this thug? NEVER!

Posted by: Sean McM | May 9, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

This is the difference between an approach that leads to deadlock and an approach that leads to a win-win solution.

The goal is universal health care, not a particular strategy for getting there. Senator Obama understands this, and although he has a plan which he believes is most likely to be effective in leading us to universal health care, he is open to other ways of getting there. Senator Obama has said he wants everyone involved in solving our health care problem to have a seat at the table - including the American people, who will be able to watch the negotiations on C-Span.

Sometimes people get stuck in an argument over strategies for achieving a goal and completely overlook the fact that they have the same goal.

Posted by: DoTheMath | May 9, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Would you support Obama IF he split the Black vote even with McCain?

(correction from last post)

Posted by: Marshall | May 9, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

To Kuilor:

From your post, I gather you won't vote for Obama, because too many Black people are going to vote for him, and you think that is unfair. Would you support Obama he split the Black vote even with McCain?

Which profane group is Obama ignoring? I hope you don't mean the posters here, I doubt anyone can control these wildcards.

If we could look more than ten minutes in the future, what do you think we would see? We want this great nation to be the best it can be, so any advice that can help sounds great to me!

I'm honestly trying to understand your viewpoint with the assumption it is not racist.

Posted by: Marshall | May 9, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

All that is left of the Clinton disaster is her crazy minions on auto-pilot.

Check posts from JakeD as a perfect example. He endlessly repeats soundbites that are no longer relevant.

The Clinton supporters who are left, are cut from the same cloth as the Ron Paul remainders. Pure Trolls seeking the attention they didnt get.

Posted by: Sally | May 9, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

How long will Judas Clinton continue to attack "her" own party!?

Posted by: Franky | May 9, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

The one thing that makes me laugh at those black folks voting for Obama at 92%, is that they do not understand 'why' I would vote for McCain over Obama if he got the democratic nomination. They all accuse anybody of racism for not voting for Obama, but the fact that THEY are the real racists and we are the 'push-back' against their racism. They shout and scream venomous remarks at us no matter how inteligently we try to explain a point, and expect us to vote forr their candidate afterwards. Whew, no tank you, I'll take the guy that has a simple answer to really stupid behaviour (F*@k You!). And, yes, I know Senator McCain has actually said that as well, but at least he had the good grace to say when he thought his own supporters were getting out of hand. Obama sits back quietly and lets his profane group continue on without regard to the reprocussions. Well, there you have it, Senator Obama and the unity group, the extremist left of the democratic party destined to loos the general election because they refused to look more than ten minutes into the future.

Posted by: Kuilor | May 9, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

When the general campaign starts he will be toast he is one dirty guy once you peal the phony honest veneer away

"Sen. John McCain became a key figure in pushing a land swap deal through Congress after an Arizona rancher hired lobbyists that included McCain's former Senate aides (one who is now his chief of staff), and an Arizona insider who is bundling campaign checks for the Republican's presidential bid."

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

So what, he is the nominee and we , and I do mean we, because I plan on taking a few months off from my business to head up a campaign in South Florida. We will do the best we can. I personally think it will be easy, I could not imagine a weaker opponent then John Mccain. I never entertain myself with self delusion. I didn't get where I am not being a realist.

+++++++++
Regardless of any single issue, it comes down to the fact that Hillary DIANE Hillary can win Florida and Barack HUSSEIN Obama can't -- there's also no denying that McCain is AHEAD of Obama in head-to-head State polling.

And, McCain would LOSE to Clinton (if the vote was held today).

Posted by: JakeD | May 9, 2008 2:38 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

By the way, what happened to the gas tax she believed in so much last week? Oh wait, I forgot, that was then and this is now. She needs new con's to BS people with. They saw through that one. What a joke.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

So what is the deal, she doesn't plan to work on it just because she won't win? She is still a senator and can work hard on it if she really cared. The fact is, she hasn't done a thing towards health care the whole time she has been in the senate and won't do a damn thing now or later. It is complete BS that she cares one thing about the American people. She is a COMPLETE FRAUD AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 9, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Mandating that people who cannot afford to buy health insurance have to buy it anyway is not a healthcare plan it is extortion.

Posted by: Sueb2 | May 9, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Don't tell me Billary, let me guess.

We are going to be able to get Insurance that won't cover ANYTHING, with all the Money we save by not being able to drive anywhere because of the 18 Cent savings on Gas/Gallon!

Let's see 18 Cents x 20 Gallons at God-Forsaken Gouged Prices that prevent me from driving even to work;

= A Doctor's professional Opinion,

That I'm GONNA DIE! :-(

Posted by: RAT-The | May 9, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

No, FAKE JakeD, it's just in case some lurker missed the info on another thread ; )

Posted by: JakeD | May 9, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Why can't I stop myself from repeating the same inane statement over and over again? Must be the single brain cell banging around the walls of my cranium.

Posted by: JakeD | May 9, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

And, McCain would LOSE to Clinton (if the vote was held today).

Posted by: JakeD | May 9, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse